Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

The Lone Badger posted:

If you want to feed your raiders normal food you really need to build up normal settlements specifically so you can use them as tributaries.

Actually, it doesn't seem to matter how much you've built up those settlements. Preston's old shack (where I banished him temporarily) at Murkwater produces the same amount of food as my built up farms.

Icedude posted:

They really needed to make the Paint and Armor Plating as separate mod types. Why can't I paint the Minutemen/BoS logo on my armor on top of the lead lining?

Also, arm piece mods that do literally anything other than add effects to your bash attacks, which I never used because half the time I'd throw a grenade at the guy in front of me instead :doh:

The PA is just asking for some sort of wrist mounted gun or missile launcher similar to the sentry grenade ones.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
EDIT: Quote is not edit

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

Actually, it doesn't seem to matter how much you've built up those settlements. Preston's old shack (where I banished him temporarily) at Murkwater produces the same amount of food as my built up farm

How do I see how much a tributary is contributing?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Reinstalled. gently caress pipe weapons for being everywhere and all looking terrible. In fact, pretty much all the guns in the base game look terrible.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I think the assault rifle being a vickers gun is cool as hell, and it reinforces the sense that normal guns are a thing of the past and everyone was using energy weapons pre-war

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's a vickers gun that is way too fat and it looks ugly. Maybe the only weapon I don't think looks bad is the revolver based upon n the Taurus raging bull.

I'm spoiled from new Vegas and it's enormous amount of weapons. Two step goodbye

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
yeah i've said this before, but i basically don't give a poo poo about guns in video games or real life, and i've never installed additional weapons in any game ever. but F4 has so few guns, it's ridiculous. i know the devs thought they'd make up for it with the customization options, but that's another thing that simply doesn't work the way they thought it would.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Buschmaki posted:

I think the assault rifle being a vickers gun is cool as hell, and it reinforces the sense that normal guns are a thing of the past and everyone was using energy weapons pre-war

The "assault rifle" was suppose to be a it own weapon called the light machine gun, but they changed it because they never finished the real assault rifle so they needed something to fill in that void. They are several modules of it hidden in the game files, which just looks like an AKM.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And while it may be a vickers gun, the high end upgrades to it make it look squat and way too fat without the long barrel.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
You can just keep the long barrel if you want though, right? And the long-barreled double barrel looks incredibly good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You can if you want, but the way the crafting system works, an ugly squashed short barrel AR is objectively better than the long barrel, and upgrades are important when the only changes for combat difficulty outside of survival mode are how much health enemies have.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Reinstalled. gently caress pipe weapons for being everywhere and all looking terrible. In fact, pretty much all the guns in the base game look terrible.

what really blows my mind about pipe weapons is that they are worse than what you can have before you leave the god damned vault.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Go back to CoD if you want realistic guns, we cool Fallout boyz like our unrealistic lovely toy guns.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Nasgate posted:

what really blows my mind about pipe weapons is that they are worse than what you can have before you leave the god damned vault.

well, if you don't rush to diamond city you'll run out of 10mm sooner or later, since most low level raiders are part of the .38 cult.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Bholder posted:

Go back to CoD if you want realistic guns, we cool Fallout boyz like our unrealistic lovely toy guns.

It's not realistic guns I want, it is fun guns. There is no gun in fallout 4 that comes close to the catharsis of hunting death claws with high explosive anti matter rifle rounds.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's not realistic guns I want, it is fun guns. There is no gun in fallout 4 that comes close to the catharsis of hunting death claws with high explosive anti matter rifle rounds.

I've found the Kiloton rifle to be fairly fun, and the handmade from Nuka World is actually okay too. But yeah, I miss my hunting shotgun and especially my single grenade launcher

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Not like watching Deathclaws dissolve into a pile of green goo due to hip-shooting a Two-Shot full-auto plasma pistol? Or watching the healthbar melt away as they stagger under the glory of coherent light from the laser gatling?

(FO4 really could use more unique weapons, not just magical legendaries. "Yawn, another Junkie's Pool Cue, how nice.")

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
I'm still having tons of fun with my railway rifle...

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Nasgate posted:

They're the dirt cheap fall back when you run out of ammo for everything else / your only option early on if you're wanting to use rifles/automatics.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Yeah. Pipe guns are very good automatics, especially in the beginning; for whatever reason the .38 guns have an obscenely high rate of fire.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Berke Negri posted:

They're the dirt cheap fall back when you run out of ammo for everything else / your only option early on if you're wanting to use rifles/automatics.

Legendaries of those might be the only specialized hitters you have, early on - IIRC I was hauling around a Radioactive sniper rifle, a suppressed .308 revolver Ghoul-popper, and some horribly-optioned Super Mutant killer, all in pipe format. Pipeguns may also be your only option for suppressors for a while so you loot or buy one and start swapping muzzle devices.

And then you get your Gun Nut up and/or buy Spray'n'Pray or the like and only keep lovely pipegun legendaries because you're a hoarder like I'd know anything about that no don't examine those weapons chests in my personal Vault space noooo... :ohdear:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Not like watching Deathclaws dissolve into a pile of green goo due to hip-shooting a Two-Shot full-auto plasma pistol? Or watching the healthbar melt away as they stagger under the glory of coherent light from the laser gatling?

(FO4 really could use more unique weapons, not just magical legendaries. "Yawn, another Junkie's Pool Cue, how nice.")

One of my favorite mods lets you basically shard legendaries to build your own.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Glazius posted:

One of my favorite mods lets you basically shard legendaries to build your own.

hard to contain the desire to make an explosive combat shotty with that mod, though.

I use it to move armor legendaries around. Armor is pointless aside from fashion anyway, since Ballistic Weave is a thing.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Halser posted:

hard to contain the desire to make an infinite capacity double barreled

this is actually what you want

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

JawKnee posted:

I have one of those, but it`s almost impossible to use properly. It's a goddamn metal storm.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Halser posted:

hard to contain the desire to make an explosive combat shotty with that mod, though.

I use it to move armor legendaries around. Armor is pointless aside from fashion anyway, since Ballistic Weave is a thing.

JawKnee posted:

Halser posted:

hard to contain the desire to make an infinite capacity double barreled

I actually legit have both of those. :smug: Boomah is disgusting on large targets that can suck up all the individually-exploding pellets - one-shot Mirelurk Queens and poo poo like that. (The Commonwealth Surgeon General warns that it's not for close-range combat. Instantly turn your power armor into confetti, weee!)

Kinda wonder what a Lucky Kremvh Ripper would be like, though... :unsmigghh:

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

I actually legit have both of those. :smug: Boomah is disgusting on large targets that can suck up all the individually-exploding pellets - one-shot Mirelurk Queens and poo poo like that. (The Commonwealth Surgeon General warns that it's not for close-range combat. Instantly turn your power armor into confetti, weee!)

Kinda wonder what a Lucky Kremvh Ripper would be like, though... :unsmigghh:

a very cool one is a bleeding laser rifle.

Slap an automatic splitter barrel on it.

enjoy the inordinate exsanguination lightshow.

I got an explosive auto shotty in one of my playthroughs, but aside from that one, even with mods increasing spawns, my luck has been rather dry.

I did get an exploding handmade rifle, which is pretty good anyway.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arcsquad12 posted:

Everything looks like a NERF weapon. That's Bethesda's house style. In Skyrim it was great going from the base game weapons to one of the realistic overhaul mods.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

The rng nature of legendaries is why I installed the legendary modification mod, so that if I find something lovely like an explosive sniper rifle... I can take the legendary mod off of it and put it on an automatic weapon. Not really overpowered, per se, just convenient.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gonkish posted:

The rng nature of legendaries is why I installed the legendary modification mod, so that if I find something lovely like an explosive sniper rifle... I can take the legendary mod off of it and put it on an automatic weapon. Not really overpowered, per se, just convenient.

I mean... they had that in Skyrim. Why not just make it part of this game? I don't understand why Bethesda is always so concerned with balance in single player games like this.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Especially when, as in this case, it's not balanced anyway, it's just arbitrary. You can get stupid powerful legendaries as it is, it's just all rng.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

oh cool I decided to play a new character through Nuka World from level 2 (and using an alt-start mod) to be a born raider and... I can't raid Sanctuary or Graygarden or Covenant or a number of other places. Awesome. Thanks Bethesda.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

JawKnee posted:

oh cool I decided to play a new character through Nuka World from level 2 (and using an alt-start mod) to be a born raider and... I can't raid Sanctuary or Graygarden or Covenant or a number of other places. Awesome. Thanks Bethesda.

Yeah they didn't really flesh that out at all and it seems kinda tacked on honestly. If you don't feel like being a raider after building everything all up because they'll only make you tear it down, there's not even really an alternate quest line (just kill 'em all, which leaves you unable to get a lot of the new content) which also seems a bit lazy to me. I'm one of those roleplay morons too so I really didn't feel like going and blowing up all my settlements and having a total character personality change.

I liked Far Harbor quite a bit but aside from that the DLC offering was kinda... meh. Going from Far Harbor to Nuka World was especially disappointing, even if it did have some nice set pieces.

Roylicious fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 22, 2016

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

JawKnee posted:

My mod that the developer never heard about or programmed for doesn't work. Why hath thou forsaken me, Obama

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
It's not that the mod doesn't work though, it's that the entire premise of the DLC is contrary to what you do in the rest of the game. Given that there's no way to really roleplay a Raider in the base game at all thanks to limited dialogue and quest branching, it doesn't make any sense that the only way to access the content of the DLC is to be a Raider.

Why would I want to go destroy all the stuff I just spend dozens of hours building up? And if you just beeline to the DLC before doing anything else it still feels weird because it isn't accounted for at all in any other important game dialogue. It's like if you joined Caesar's Legion and no one says anything about it while walking around in an NCR base with the full regalia on.

e: idk it's alright but it felt disappointing a lot like Mothership Zeta did.

Roylicious fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 22, 2016

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

JawKnee posted:

Can you target places you haven't discovered yet? IIRC, when Shank was giving me target choices, anywhere I'd not been to as Overboss had been grey'd out. And some places like Sanctuary and the Castle and Vault 88 weren't available for making into serfs tax-payers. I do remember having Sanctuary for certain on the "conquer" menu later, and the trailer vid for the DLC definitely showed OB and the Pack rolling into (a pretty much non-upgraded?) Sanctuary. I seem to recall Covenant being off the takeover list, though and I know Graygarden became "gently caress You Pay Me Garden".

The Mechanist's Lair would be awesome, if you could add the Rust Devils to your Nuka-Pals to replace <traitor-selection>.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

My mod that the developer never heard about or programmed for doesn't work. Why hath thou forsaken me, Obama

the mod isn't the problem? That was just some context for my post. Good luck with the reading comprehension thing though.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Can you target places you haven't discovered yet?

Yes. But regardless, I had discovered Covenant and Sanctuary.

quote:

IIRC, when Shank was giving me target choices, anywhere I'd not been to as Overboss had been grey'd out.

This is not the case.

quote:

And some places like Sanctuary and the Castle and Vault 88 weren't available for making into serfs tax-payers.
Yeah, this is what I'm taking issue with. The plot protection, aka Bethesda being too lazy to write for circumstances other than they like.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

As Shank says places like Graygarden and Covenant become conquerable one you've 'resolved' their quests. Raiders don't want to be bothered with that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

right, and just failing the quests because you've attacked the people there is... out of the question?

these are some real badass raiders but my god we'd better not attack that settlement because they might have things to take care of

• Locked thread