Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

docbeard posted:

Call me a contrarian if you must, but I don't really care about any Word of Jim unless those words are contained in books about the wizard Harry Dresden with titles made out of puns.

Cowl is Zombie Justin and I don't care what anyone else thinks.

I thought Cowl and Kumari were the two wardens that died "offstage" while Dresden was riding Sue? Maybe because one had an Asian name? It's been a minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Murphy's got to juice up because drat, everyone is aching to see it happen. Murphy fading into the background now would be incredibly disappointing, especially if she's fridged. Wanna see her suplex a ghoul out of a window.

She might have actually been OK with dying sometime before Changes, but after the past few years, I can't see her going gently into that good night. She's too pissed off.

I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up getting hurt or faltering in a fight, and making a bargain or accepting a power right then or soon after. Harry will sulk about it, she'll yell at him for being a hypocrite, and then he'll brood about it some more.

I don't want to see her juice up. I think she's a boring character whose time is past and I hope that Skin Game put her on the sidelines for a long while. I don't think powering her up would do anything other than keep her in pretty much exactly the same position she is now: the good people fight girl. Maybe with a few issues about getting power from unsavory sources, but that's not exactly a new thing in this series and I don't think rehashing it with her would be more interesting.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

navyjack posted:

I thought Cowl and Kumari were the two wardens that died "offstage" while Dresden was riding Sue? Maybe because one had an Asian name? It's been a minute.

Cowl and Kumori were the last two necromancers standing.

Kumori had a wire around Dresden's throat and Cowl was the one trying to drink the Darkhallow, when Bob took over Sue's body and helped Dresden gently caress everything up.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Inspector 34 posted:

Wouldn't becoming a Valkyrie basically mean she's working for Odin? Who provides protection services to Marcone?

I don't see Murphy taking that assignment.

She already takes advantage of those services, and has since Ghost Story (Aftermath, actually).

She's deep enough now that, while she doesn't like Marcone in general, she understands his position has become an important one.

Besides, Marcone contracts Odin's company. Odin doesn't work for him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Murphy is like one of the few characters whose time hasn't passed and is more relevant to the series than loving Thomas who exists only so Harry can angst and try to justify why rape is acceptable in his mind.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Murphy is like one of the few characters whose time hasn't passed and is more relevant to the series than loving Thomas who exists only so Harry can angst and try to justify why rape is acceptable in his mind.
Yeah, this.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Thomas annoys me, because creepy poo poo aside, his interactions with Harry and stuff are fun. I just wish that the White Court fed on anything else, like anticipation, or people's love of tiny outfits for dogs, or something.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Thomas annoys me, because creepy poo poo aside, his interactions with Harry and stuff are fun. I just wish that the White Court fed on anything else, like anticipation, or people's love of tiny outfits for dogs, or something.

The White Court *does* feed on things other than lust.

It's just House Raith that sticks to the rape by overriding choice and generating lust. The others feed on despair and/or fear. There's even a scene where one of the Malvora seems to indicate they have some choice in what emotion to feed on when he suggests Thomas try feeding on fear or despair because he might find he likes it.

Remember, one book just had a tangentially related Malvora feeding on the fear generated during a horror movie convention. He only did nasty poo poo to capture Harry because the opportunity was there. He wasn't the one that summoned the fetches and nobody at the convention was going to die from the Malvora's feeding (the feeding was spread out all over the dozens/hundreds of people watching horror movies). He only became an antagonist in later books because he was pissed over Harry raining on his parade.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 22, 2016

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Wade Wilson posted:

The White Court *does* feed on things other than lust.

It's just House Raith that sticks to the rape by overriding choice and generating lust. The others feed on despair and/or fear. There's even a scene where one of the Malvora seems to indicate they have some choice in what emotion to feed on when he suggests Thomas try feeding on fear or despair because he might find he likes it.

Remember, one book just had a tangentially related Malvora feeding on the fear generated during a horror movie convention. He only did nasty poo poo to capture Harry because the opportunity was there. He wasn't the one that summoned the fetches and nobody at the convention was going to die from the Malvora's feeding (the feeding was spread out all over the dozens/hundreds of people watching horror movies). He only became an antagonist in later books because he was pissed over Harry raining on his parade.

No, those are the evil white court. The good guys in the white court are the rapists.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Pretty sure that's exactly what I posted, except I gave more details.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Blasphemeral posted:

She already takes advantage of those services, and has since Ghost Story (Aftermath, actually).

She's deep enough now that, while she doesn't like Marcone in general, she understands his position has become an important one.

Besides, Marcone contracts Odin's company. Odin doesn't work for him.
it's the Einherjar(fallen warriors chosen by the Valkyries) that Marcone is contracting, not the Valkyries themselves.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Should have been more specific. I meant the Raiths. The emotional feeding thing is neat, and I like it. The stuff House Raith brings to the table... not so much.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It just occurred to me that I'd love to see Murphy get a "power-up" of a different sort than folks have been talking about.

We've been hearing since the first book about how an organized assault from mortals is the one thing the various supernatural communities fear above all else. I really want to see this particular Chekhov's Nuke go off before the end of the series, and who better to lead the charge than Supervisory Special Agent Karrin Murphy and her FBI Kicking Evil's rear end Taskforce?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think the big problem with Thomas is that Butcher kinda changed his views since he started writing Thomas.

Early on he really clearly thought of Thomas's thing as funny and not-rape. It was the butt of jokes and clearly supposed to be funny that Thomas was constantly swarmed with hot women unlike Harry Dresden, Effectively Celibate. Except he either realized or was told "hey, Thomas is pretty much raping all those women, even if he doesn't mean to" and he began to adjust it with the hairdresser thing and then with trying to make him more morally ambiguous and then to "Threesomes are the solution!" But he's stuck in a situation where Thomas is incredibly important to Harry and Thomas's condition is a central part of the character so you either need to have a protagonist who is okay with rape and sometimes-murder or else a protagonist who is ignorant of the rape-murder going on under his nose. (Like in Thomas' short story) or one who basically has to have a major split with his brother which Butcher isn't interested in writing.

I'm pretty sure if Butcher could start over he'd make Thomas more overtly sympathetic rather than "Well, he's Harry's brother so I guess it's okay he rapes people to death from time to time because he doesn't really mean it."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of vampires, I'm on the third Anno Dracula book and enjoying it a lot. I enjoy the James Bond pastiche bits but, unfortunately, don't feel familiar enough with the filmography of Fellini to fully appreciate that aspect of the book. I have Johnny Alucard though I understand it's more of a short story collection. I understand there's two new ones out next year (one a short story collection set in 1899 and the other a fifth book) as well as what looks like a tie-in centred around the Phantom of the Opera (at least I assume it is a tie-in, since the blurb mentions that Kate Reed is in it).

I've got to say, I'm a bit disappointed that Newman's Diogenes Club short story collections (aside from the most recent one, which I think came out in about 2010) seem to be out of print. They're pretty expensive used at any rate.

His other novels mainly seem to be more horror than anything, and I'm not normally into straight-up horror. I might try them eventually, though. I have Varney the Vampire sitting on my shelf to get around to eventually. That'll take me months to get through because it's 1000+ pages and tiny wee letters.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Wade Wilson posted:

Pretty sure that's exactly what I posted, except I gave more details.

Ah, sorry, I was being facetious. you see, to me, rapists are also bad, they're all bad.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

By the way don't bother with the bigfoot short stories, they're cringy as gently caress.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Tunicate posted:

By the way don't bother with the bigfoot short stories, they're cringy as gently caress.

How so? Teen angst?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Blasphemeral posted:

How so? Teen angst?

dresden comes in and beats up bullies 42 HG2G for the win!!!!

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Wade Wilson posted:

Cowl and Kumori were the last two necromancers standing.

Kumori had a wire around Dresden's throat and Cowl was the one trying to drink the Darkhallow, when Bob took over Sue's body and helped Dresden gently caress everything up.

No, sorry. I meant that there were two Wardens (one a female with a Japanese name?) who both "died" off-screen or with a "no body recovered" right when the big fight starts and I always wondered if they weren't Cowl and Kumori's cover. I'll root through the book and find the passage and see if I can make sense.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

navyjack posted:

No, sorry. I meant that there were two Wardens (one a female with a Japanese name?) who both "died" off-screen or with a "no body recovered" right when the big fight starts and I always wondered if they weren't Cowl and Kumori's cover. I'll root through the book and find the passage and see if I can make sense.

Do you mean Yoshimo and Kowalski? Yoshimo gets her leg broken and is sidelined, but is still alive a few books later (Dresden mentions contacting her and learning she was a relative of Shiro). Kowalski is killed offscreen by spooky indian ghosts (witnessed by a couple others), but presumably he just dropped dead, and his body was certainly recovered when warden reinforcements came to extract all of the injured (Luccio, Morgan and Yoshimo) from apartment building (where Kowalski died)

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Tunicate posted:

That saves me from trying to figure out how to get a print copy.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Blasphemeral posted:

How so? Teen angst?

One of the stories is Dresden trying to explain to campus police why a 40-something year old man was found in the middle of a dorm orgy. It's yet another White Court story that happens to feature a Bigfoot in it.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

I don't think Thomas is killing anymore, not since Justine threw out all his Linkin Park CDs. I don't know how much she's telling the people Thomas chews on, but the White Court has found willing food in the past. :shrug:

I really hated the skin walker thing because Thomas being a hair dresser let me throw a sheet on his creepiness and forget it. Then it got dragged out into the light and I sighed a mighty sigh.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I don't think Thomas is killing anymore, not since Justine threw out all his Linkin Park CDs. I don't know how much she's telling the people Thomas chews on, but the White Court has found willing food in the past. :shrug:

Thomas is presumably still killing people as part of his secret war against gods. Even when he was 'on the wagon' with Harry he still killed to save himself when he got badly injured there. I presume he's only raping and murdering bad people but, uh, "he's only raping and murdering bad people" is kind of creepy territory to get into.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

docbeard posted:

It just occurred to me that I'd love to see Murphy get a "power-up" of a different sort than folks have been talking about.

We've been hearing since the first book about how an organized assault from mortals is the one thing the various supernatural communities fear above all else. I really want to see this particular Chekhov's Nuke go off before the end of the series, and who better to lead the charge than Supervisory Special Agent Karrin Murphy and her FBI Kicking Evil's rear end Taskforce?

I'm almost certain that bit with the FBI agent (Tilly?) in Changes is going to have some significant ramifications soon

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

MasterFugu posted:

it's the Einherjar(fallen warriors chosen by the Valkyries) that Marcone is contracting, not the Valkyries themselves.

No, Gard was being contracted as well. Gard is more of a magical expert, the Einherjar are just grunts.

The Range
Sep 20, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
*weird spam go away*

Somebody fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Sep 23, 2016

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007
Did somebody just go full retard or is that a bot?

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Blasphemeral posted:

One of the big ones from when I was on there is that Mab is actually (and has been all along) Molly after time travel shenanigans. As in, not just that sentence, but an entire dissertation-level essay write-up.

I don't know what new poo poo they're injecting into their arteries these days, I never look back.

For a few minutes there, I actually considered the possibility that the Gatekeeper was future Harry, but it doesn't really work when you think about it.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

tentacles posted:

Did somebody just go full retard or is that a bot?
either someone off his meds or a bot, his entire post history consists of the above post ad infinitum.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Tunicate posted:

Murphy upgrades to a mecha exoskeleton, because the novels are taking place in roughly realtime and we'll have them by the time Jim finishes.

This murphy will be driving an Atlas from battletech for the big apocalyptic trilogy.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

seaborgium posted:

No, Gard was being contracted as well. Gard is more of a magical expert, the Einherjar are just grunts.

Isn't she full on Valkyrie? Butcher make a point of her become super focused on Michael right before he gets all shot up.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

flosofl posted:

Isn't she full on Valkyrie? Butcher make a point of her become super focused on Michael right before he gets all shot up.

Yes, you remember correctly.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

that makes me wonder whether Mirror Michael is going to show up as einharjar

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

MasterFugu posted:

that makes me wonder whether Mirror Michael is going to show up as einharjar

Regular Michael might already be going that direction. When Michael opened Harry's beer in Skin Game, Jim specifically called out that it was with a Mjölnir bottle opener.

... Conservation of Detail, and all that.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

It also has the "He who holds the hammer, should they be worthy, shall have the power of Thor" bit, right before he who is worthy takes up the sword and gets the power of Uriel.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
It stuck out at me a little much for that. Before that, you already have Michael going heart to heart with Harry. You know he's a good guy. You know he's been a fighter in the past, and you know Harry holds him in high esteem. Wouldn't be at all surprised if the hammer showed up, since we've got Odin and Valkyries and some vikings around.

Or maybe it is just a bottle opener. :shrug:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Michael just isn't going to stay sidelined at this point. I could have believed it a while ago but not after Skin Game and Cold Days. It's just a case of what really brings him out of retirement and just how many people Charity has to murder for it happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

CainsDescendant posted:

I'm almost certain that bit with the FBI agent (Tilly?) in Changes is going to have some significant ramifications soon

Yeah, Tilly has a modicum of magical talent and he got the supernatural shoved in his face hard. I'd like to think that he brings Murphy in after an extensive personal investigation into the strange things that get reported. Not full on X-Files and Mulder levels of obsession, but a calculated piecing together of facts that don't add up. He knows her already, and he knows that she's telling the truth about the stuff that slips through the cracks. Getting her in place with the FBI, even if it is a "rebound career" would be a good deal of increased power and effectiveness. Hell, with the Paranet she's got her own network of informants to bring in.