Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

BadLlama posted:

When smed got pissed people were calling this poo poo and offered a refund to anyone I took that poo poo immediately :smug:

How did you get a refund? Its been so long that my account purchase history doesn't show that I bought this garbage early access.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I said come in! posted:

How did you get a refund? Its been so long that my account purchase history doesn't show that I bought this garbage early access.

He literally says how in his post.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

BadLlama posted:

When smed got pissed people were calling this poo poo and offered a refund to anyone I took that poo poo immediately :smug:
Never gave them money in the first place because :soe:. :smuggo:

I said come in! posted:

You had a month to do it. In spring 2014.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bUm posted:

This is the only position that can be smug in this situation. :smuggo:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I never bought Landmark because I don't really enjoy minecrafting and because it's Sony, they've got deep pockets they don't need my crowdfunding, I'll just buy EQN when it comes out

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Flavahbeast posted:

I never bought Landmark because I don't really enjoy minecrafting and because it's Sony, they've got deep pockets they don't need my crowdfunding, I'll just buy EQN when it comes out

i got bad news for you son

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
It is unlikely EQN is ever coming out what with the company now just being a money laundering front for the Russian mob.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

ShadowMoo posted:

It is unlikely EQN is ever coming out what with the company now just being a money laundering front for the Russian mob.

I know right. Especially since Daybreak officially cancelled it a few months back.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
They did? Didn't see that anywhere.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Flavahbeast posted:

ShadowMoo posted:

:marc:

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

ShadowMoo posted:

Pretty much all of what everyone was talking about last page.

If someone gave me odds the next EQ title is a mobile app and not an MMO I think I'd take that bet at this point.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
There was an EQ mobile app but it was buggy as poo poo and mainly a companion for EQ.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Apparently the uninstaller is only good for deleting the last of my screenshots, as it left behind 24 gigs of game data including the launcher :doh:

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
So even though I'm a big retard and bought the founder's pack like 3 years ago, they still want me to pay :10bux: for this vaporware game? Am I missing a download link somewhere? What a joke. I was going to at least run around in this empty mess.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
What the hell is the point of this game now? It used to be to just build your own little home type thing. Now I'm doing the starting tutorial and it sounds like the game is more of a "build your own dungeons because we can't be rear end-ed to do it ourselves." Also, the controls are hilariously inconsistent. You get mouselook (but not first person view!) with your weapon equipped. You no longer have mouselook and intsead have to hold right click perpetually to steer when any other tool is equipped or bare handed.

The whole thing is hilarious I guess because ark:survival evolved kind of described what I had hoped landmark to be for some reason. Build a home against the wild, get new and more powerful stuff as you unlock the ability to get more rarer materials.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

Freakazoid_ posted:

Apparently the uninstaller is only good for deleting the last of my screenshots, as it left behind 24 gigs of game data including the launcher :doh:

:lol:

joshtothemaxx posted:

So even though I'm a big retard and bought the founder's pack like 3 years ago, they still want me to pay :10bux: for this vaporware game? Am I missing a download link somewhere? What a joke. I was going to at least run around in this empty mess.

https://www.landmarkthegame.com/about-landmark

bottom left and may god have mercy on your soul. have to be signed in apparently.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

JuffoWup posted:

Now I'm doing the starting tutorial and it sounds like the game is more of a "build your own dungeons because we can't be rear end-ed to do it ourselves."

This is what it always was, and what it was advertised as. Now that EQ Next isn't happening I have no clue what landmark actually is now.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

It's just a big retarded sandbox now.

I was foolishly a trailblazer when the game first hit alpha. I might be tempted to come get high and build a castle or something but if someone builds a spaceship next to my castle then ~my immersion~ will be ruined. Themed servers might be cool, but I doubt that happen.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Building a sandcastle is fine to me. I'm more wondering about the monster stuff. I'm guessing that there are still dungeons anyway.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Rasmussen posted:

It's just a big retarded sandbox now.

I was foolishly a trailblazer when the game first hit alpha. I might be tempted to come get high and build a castle or something but if someone builds a spaceship next to my castle then ~my immersion~ will be ruined. Themed servers might be cool, but I doubt that happen.

Send me some :catdrugs: and I'll build all kinds of spaceships with yall.

edit: Just kidding. I went to install, realized what I was doing with my life, and quickly abandoned ship.

joshtothemaxx fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 10, 2016

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

JuffoWup posted:

Building a sandcastle is fine to me. I'm more wondering about the monster stuff. I'm guessing that there are still dungeons anyway.

There are semi-random generated quests you can do end-game, but the dungeon is always an underground cave. It's the most last-minute thing you can think of and I didn't even bother trying them.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
https://forums.daybreakgames.com/landmark/index.php?threads/well-finally-could-get-in-i-want-my-refund.57278/

Here's a pretty depressing/interesting thread.

Not everyone could log in for the pre-start or whatever, so nasty internet robber barons with badass internet connections got in first and scooped up all the prime real estate.

This makes a super backer angry and they want their refund right now.

The saddest part isn't Landmark related. Some dude later admits to paying $6,000 for Trove stuff and $3,000 on Shroud of the Avatar. Yikes.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
i knew it was happening but now its just blatant out in the open abuse of people with addictive personalities. well done, video game industry

fake edit: when do the big video poker companies get in on this

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine

Givin posted:

The saddest part isn't Landmark related. Some dude later admits to paying $6,000 for Trove stuff and $3,000 on Shroud of the Avatar. Yikes.

I have something of an addictive personality and even when I have money, most I'd be willing to drop on items is maybe $20 a month. Something like $6000 can better be spent on a car, rent, or shittons of other real things like hookers and blow.

ShadowMoo fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 11, 2016

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

ShadowMoo posted:

I have something of an addictive personality and even when I have money, most I'd be willing to drop on items is maybe $20 a month. Something like $6000 can better be spent on a car, rent, or shittons of other real things like hookers and blow.

why did you cross out hookers

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Blazing Zero posted:

i knew it was happening but now its just blatant out in the open abuse of people with addictive personalities. well done, video game industry

fake edit: when do the big video poker companies get in on this

Source your quotes please.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine

Rasmussen posted:

I was foolishly a trailblazer when the game first hit alpha.

When are people going to stop being fooled by pie in the sky Kickstarter/Early Access bullshit? Last EA game I bought was $10 for H1Z1 and I've regretted it ever since.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I gave this a try, everyone's landmark is just placing the castle tower and then quitting the game.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
I'm one of the Landmark idiots. Has it been too many years to issue a chargeback with my bank?

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Donald Trump confirmed trailblazer in game credits.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

bUm posted:

I used to work for SOE. Now that it is defunct, I feel comfortable outing myself.

After spending part of my life there, I will defend SOE in one area only. SWG NGE.

SOE got a lot of poo poo for this, and many of the complaints were fair; however, what SOE could never do (because of contractual issues) was defend itself.

Now, keep in mind, the NGE happened before I started at SOE, so this information does not come from my involvement with any of it, but rather is what I was told by people who should have had accurate information... but maybe they just made poo poo up to cover their own rear end internally.

In any case, I believed it when I was told this:

Many of the NGE changes were dictated by LucasArts, some of which people at SOE disagreed with, under the threat of having their license pulled.

The best proof of this I can give you is, knowing what I've told you, does it surprise you that the NGE and Revenge of the Sith on DVD launched on the same day?

Hopefully, this information does not violate any non-disclosure agreement (even though I am fairly sure I never signed one that would cover this game, especially 5 years after the license was pulled, and is a company that no longer exists as such).

ShadowMoo posted:

Permabanned user, never mind, you're permabanned.

For everyone else, there is something to this. There is a reason that MMO marketing research stays private. There is also a reason why the micro transaction model has exploded the gently caress out of the subscription model.

Hint: it has to do with how MMO design works, and how people hitting their frequent rewards (I've almost leveled, almost reached the next tier, almost unlocked that extra skill point, almost got my whatever) actually convinces people to offer up, on average, a hell of a lot more money for in-game items, premium content, extra xp, etc. than the same people would have ever paid into a game via sub.

Plus, there is the exciting marketing bonus of calling the MMO "A FTP game!"

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 21, 2016

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Lucas Arts and the NGE are pretty much common knowledge so I don't think you have to worry about a non-disclosure on the insider knowledge you gave us.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Yeah, someone (I think it was Raph?) blew the lid on LucasArts being the driving force behind the NGE years ago.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

biznatchio posted:

Yeah, someone (I think it was Raph?) blew the lid on LucasArts being the driving force behind the NGE years ago.

IIRC quite a few people speculated on it when NGE came out back in the day before there was any confirmation too.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

jabro posted:

Lucas Arts and the NGE are pretty much common knowledge so I don't think you have to worry about a non-disclosure on the insider knowledge you gave us.

That shows you how much I pay attention. I liked working for SOE, but at the same time I try to ignore that I did.

I also haven't been playing mmos for awhile so I haven't had to listen to the SOE :bandwagon: for a long time.

There is nothing like people making GBS threads on the work you did for years just because of the rest of SOE.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Sep 22, 2016

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Man, SWG was a special MMO. It made it OK and fun just being a farmer or a doctor or a cantina worker and they designed the game so you had to rely on people who did those things. They don't make MMOs like that any more or if it does have aspects of what SWG did, it's usually in those Eastern European MMOs that focus on hardcore PvP and survival poo poo that ends up being busy-work and not fun.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Speaking as a Pre-CU Jedi player, I've never understood the hate that SOE got for the NGE considering that it was clear as day that other parties were heavily involved. I've always pictured LucasArts looking at the financial reports, skimming over at the list of popular MMORPGs at the time, saw World of Warcraft at the top and George saying "make it like that".

Do you know anything about the mission system 2.0 overhaul that they were going to do during the Combat Upgrade-era? I've always been curious about what that was. Shame considering if they worked on improving the new player experience and improved on the sandbox mechanics, it would still do pretty well. Probably be able to survive on a subscription model too.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Speaking as a Pre-CU Jedi player, I've never understood the hate that SOE got for the NGE considering that it was clear as day that other parties were heavily involved. I've always pictured LucasArts looking at the financial reports, skimming over at the list of popular MMORPGs at the time, saw World of Warcraft at the top and George saying "make it like that".

Do you know anything about the mission system 2.0 overhaul that they were going to do during the Combat Upgrade-era? I've always been curious about what that was. Shame considering if they worked on improving the new player experience and improved on the sandbox mechanics, it would still do pretty well. Probably be able to survive on a subscription model too.

Specifically, this is what I remember from the story told around SOE:

LucasArts made the decision that they wanted to see gameplay changes based on a number of things. First and foremost was marketing research that was done relating the new movies to video games generally--questions about what type of games best fit Star Wars, etc.--and marketing research related to the DVD release of episodes I, II and III.

The economic issues were secondary, but still there. They did want a greater market share, but nobody realistically thought that they were going to turn an already released title into something with a subscriber base like WoW.

When LucasArts came to SOE asking for these changes--again second hand "inside" information--there was an internal meeting between the SWG design team in Austin and the company command in San Diego. During the meeting it was decided that SOE would tell LucasArts that they did not want to make all the NGE changes, and offered an alternative that including making Jedi a profession with simplified and clear steps to unlock, and making more twitch changes to things related to Jump to Lightspeed and Rage of the Wookies.

LucasArts did not receive this counter offer well and their initial "request" for changes became a demand for changes. They added to this demand a threat to pull SOE's license for SWG, since SOE's license was set to expire at the end of 2004.

So SOE did what they were told, and lots of people hated the NGE (though subs did increase slightly at the beginning); however, the community who (rightly) were upset about the NGE was very vocal and SOE could do nothing to defend themselves, other than try to toe their contractual line.

"The NGE is a vast improvement! We swear!"

*Unfortunately for SOE, this combined with a number of previous fiascoes (does anyone remember the EQ2 launch?) irreparably SOEs reputation. It was that reputation that, more or less, impacted people's impressions of SOE and their games--even good ones like Planetside and Planetside II--and helped to kill the company's profitability.

So much so that Sony Music was happy to unload it in 2015.

*Edit

I am not being fair here. SOE did make a lot of bad business decisions and made some shittier games (especially for consoles) in the period after this, which just added to the general MMO community impression that the NGE helped create.

SOE also ended up coming off as arrogant assholes because they had to defend the NGE and there was nothing they could do to address the SWG communities concerns. In the end I think this colored their future interactions with future communities. It's almost like once the reputation was in place, they totally gave up on doing anything to try and fix it as it seemed like an impossible task.

That's my impression as someone who worked there for part of it.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 22, 2016

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

ZombieLenin posted:

Specifically, this is what I remember from the story told around SOE:

LucasArts made the decision that they wanted to see gameplay changes based on a number of things. First and foremost was marketing research that was done relating the new movies to video games generally--questions about what type of games best fit Star Wars, etc.--and marketing research related to the DVD release of episodes I, II and III.

The economic issues were secondary, but still there. They did want a greater market share, but nobody realistically thought that they were going to turn an already released title into something with a subscriber base like WoW.

When LucasArts came to SOE asking for these changes--again second hand "inside" information--there was an internal meeting between the SWG design team in Austin and the company command in San Diego. During the meeting it was decided that SOE would tell LucasArts that they did not want to make all the NGE changes, and offered an alternative that including making Jedi a profession with simplified and clear steps to unlock, and making more twitch changes to things related to Jump to Lightspeed and Rage of the Wookies.

LucasArts did not receive this counter offer well and their initial "request" for changes became a demand for changes. They added to this demand a threat to pull SOE's license for SWG, since SOE's license was set to expire at the end of 2004.

So SOE did what they were told, and lots of people hated the NGE (though subs did increase slightly at the beginning); however, the community who (rightly) were upset about the NGE was very vocal and SOE could do nothing to defend themselves, other than try to toe their contractual line.

"The NGE is a vast improvement! We swear!"

*Unfortunately for SOE, this combined with a number of previous fiascoes (does anyone remember the EQ2 launch?) irreparably SOEs reputation. It was that reputation that, more or less, impacted people's impressions of SOE and their games--even good ones like Planetside and Planetside II--and helped to kill the company's profitability.

So much so that Sony Music was happy to unload it in 2015.

*Edit

I am not being fair here. SOE did make a lot of bad business decisions and made some shittier games (especially for consoles) in the period after this, which just added to the general MMO community impression that the NGE helped create.

SOE also ended up coming off as arrogant assholes because they had to defend the NGE and there was nothing they could do to address the SWG communities concerns. In the end I think this colored their future interactions with future communities. It's almost like once the reputation was in place, they totally gave up on doing anything to try and fix it as it seemed like an impossible task.

That's my impression as someone who worked there for part of it.

In an episode of the Giant Bombcast, they had Dave Lang of Iron Galaxy on specifically talking about this liscenser/licensee relationship in a very stark and honest way that amounts to 'don't throw your business partner under the bus' I would love to know the minutae that happened in a lot of these scenarios (see also: what the gently caress were people thinking WRT Wildstar) but we're probably not going to hear anything specific from the people high up in the food chain on these things.

And yeah, people forget how much of an unmitigated dumpster fire EQ2 was at launch. At level 1 character creation you only had access to 5 character classes - Fighter, Priest, Mage, Scout, and Artisan, and you didn't actually pick your final class until level 20. Newbie areas were horrible, combat was in the same vein as EQ1 insofar as you needed a group to do most of the content. The graphics engine is still hosed to a degree to this day because they developed the game engine using a 2001-2002 mindset that multi-core processors were a novelty and designed the game to run ideally on something silly like a single core intel processor running at 6GHz and made the game almost entirely CPU bound rather than offset calculations on the GPU. I'm really shocked that they could even rally to be passably decent. Between that and the development and money pit that was EQ-next, I'm shocked they didn't get spun out and sold a long time ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

ZombieLenin posted:

a number of previous fiascoes (does anyone remember the EQ2 launch?)

Maybe my memory's bad here but I don't remember the EQ2 launch being a fiasco. I think it suffered more from WoW coming out a couple weeks later and redefining what an MMO was (and exposing how dated EQ2's design and execution were) than any launch-related technical failings.

EQ2 was just a better EQ-era game. It just unfortunately came out in the last days of when people would accept the sadism inherent in an EQ-era MMO.

• Locked thread