Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
People are certainly welcome to protest Al Sharpton should he start working the college circuit, but chances are good it'll do no good because unlike Milo Sharpton actually does have some substance behind him and has the intellectual rigour to back it up. He's not a travelling minstrel show like Milo is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

gobbagool posted:

Right, and you've appointed yourself moral arbiter of the value of the content of their speech, very convenient. I said "that muslim woman" because I didnt remember her name off the top of my head. I'm sure you're clutching your pearls over it, but it wasn't intended in the way that you'll absolutely twist it because of your sociopathic personality

i haven't done any of that, all i've done is break your balls for being dumb and angry, and laughing at you for not bothering to look up her name before you post as if any of us will know which particular muslim woman is in your head. she's probably wearing niqab in your mind's eye, am i right?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

gobbagool posted:

I'm unaware of it happening? I could certainly be wrong, but again, still not the point.

The point is, and there's a lot of intentionally obtuse posters here, that if you're OK with Milo, or George Will, or that Muslim woman being shouted down and denied the stage, you also, logically, have to be ok with Al Sharpton, or Madeline Albright, or any other figure on the other side of the aisle being shouted down as well, even to the extent that similar tactics like threats of violence are used to prevent the discussion. Alternatively, you could (should) not be OK with either, and be consistent. I don't expect anyone here to agree, or at least the professional contrarians.

Holy gently caress you aren't getting paid for your contrarianism? Holy poo poo you're missing out on a business opportunity bud.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

no, actually, this doesn't logically follow. you can't use some transitive property of anger to say "well if you hate my guy, i hate your guy, and we're even stevens". the entire discussion here revolves around the content of people's speech, not team partisanship, and digging into team partisanship indicates you don't really understand the discussion

(lol @ "that muslim woman")

Exactly. Also holy poo poo that's the good stuff right there. "that Muslim woman" absolutely reeks of a tokenistic outlook where all you care about a person's identity is its use as ammunition. It's good for to look the stuff you bring up up.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 22, 2016

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Who What Now posted:

Because that's how society works, you use speech to convince people to do or not do things.
"Convincing" implies persuasion. Are you not defending the idea that protesters have the right to break the law and deny others the use of a public space (such as blocking a highway)?

Trabisnikof posted:

Religion is protected under employment law and we are discussing campus speech so your Koch example is a non sequitor
The entire conversation was in the context of a hypothetical employee making racist comments on Facebook in their spare time. Maybe you should try actually following the thread instead of your usual swoop & poo poo posting.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
"ehh that islam broad, you know her name, whatever, doesn't matter. she's one of the good ones"

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

paranoid randroid posted:

gobbagool why do you keep holding up people like Al Sharpton and Madeline Albright as if theyre relevant luminaries of the left as it currently exists. i dont think you know very much about anything.

Because Madeline Albright (at least used to) do the University lecture circuit, at least locally, and someone who people on the left might view as bland and inoffensive, like George Will to the right. I brought Sharpton up as someone who is inflammatory (less so than he used to be, admittedly) to the same degree but not the same style as Milo. Make sense?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

gobbagool posted:

Make sense?

uhh... no?

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

sure but this seems to me that the censor most people are mad about only exists in their mental frameworks of 'who will be mad if i say this'

I feel the "censor", if you want to use that word, exists somewhat outside of a mental framework, as nobody's pulling fire alarms with their psychic powers.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

gobbagool posted:

Because Madeline Albright (at least used to) do the University lecture circuit, at least locally, and someone who people on the left might view as bland and inoffensive, like George Will to the right. I brought Sharpton up as someone who is inflammatory (less so than he used to be, admittedly) to the same degree but not the same style as Milo. Make sense?

Now do you have something Albright said that's as potentially incendiary as Will's comments on rape? Because it's not about the pigeonhole they fit into, it's about actual criticism of actual people.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

xthetenth posted:

Holy gently caress you aren't getting paid for your contrarianism? Holy poo poo you're missing out on a business opportunity bud.

Exactly. Also holy poo poo that's the good stuff right there. "that Muslim woman" absolutely reeks of a tokenistic outlook where all you care about a person's identity is its use as ammunition. It's good for to look the stuff you bring up up.

Yeah, you're one of the least pleasant posters, who are you...oh god are you Effectronica again?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

gobbagool posted:

Yeah, you're one of the least pleasant posters, who are you...oh god are you Effectronica again?

wow, angry AND paranoid. drat

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

xthetenth posted:

Now do you have something Albright said that's as potentially incendiary as Will's comments on rape? Because it's not about the pigeonhole they fit into, it's about actual criticism of actual people.

Yeah, depends on how you feel about 500k dead iraqi kids I guess

http://www.salon.com/2016/05/11/col...000_iraqi_kids/

who am i kidding you probably like a bunch of dead kids

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

gobbagool posted:

i dont think many leftists would care very much about a protest against Madeline Albright, and, hell, would probably join in

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

i dont think many leftists would care very much about a protest against Madeline Albright, and, hell, would probably join in

please don't make gobbagool try to think of some other bitches' name for a better example of leftist hypocrisy, randroid. let's just work with what we have on the table and assume, for argument's sake, that leftists love madeline albright

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

please don't make gobbagool try to think of some other bitches' name for a better example of leftist hypocrisy, randroid. let's just work with what we have on the table and assume, for argument's sake, that leftists love madeline albright

"bitches'"? very progressive

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

gobbagool posted:

Comments like that only make you less persuasive fyi

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

okay, fine, its true, i love Madeline Albright and Iraq sanction megadeath

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

no, actually, this doesn't logically follow. you can't use some transitive property of anger to say "well if you hate my guy, i hate your guy, and we're even stevens". the entire discussion here revolves around the content of people's speech, not team partisanship, and digging into team partisanship indicates you don't really understand the discussion
Uh... Actually the OP explicity framed the entire discussion as being about banning conservative speakers for having viewpoints he saw no value in.

SSNeoman posted:

The banning of conservative speakers is honestly something I agree with.

It's kind of hilarious to say, "this isn't about partisanship, it's about hounding speakers off campus based on the *content* of their speech", when it turns out the main content you and most other people in favor feel is sufficiently objectionable are conservative beliefs.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

OK then, she's a bad example. Perhaps some of you on the left can come up with a name that would be a better example, as someone that would be invited by a leftist club on campus, and be shouted off stage by self righteous conservatives?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dead Reckoning posted:

It's kind of hilarious to say, "this isn't about partisanship, it's about hounding speakers off campus based on the *content* of their speech", when it turns out the main content you and most other people in favor feel is sufficiently objectionable are conservative beliefs.

do i? where did i say that?

hint: nowhere did i say that

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Anita Sarkeesian?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

gobbagool posted:

OK then, she's a bad example. Perhaps some of you on the left can come up with a name that would be a better example, as someone that would be invited by a leftist club on campus, and be shouted off stage by self righteous conservatives?

definitely, uh, whats her face, uh, you know, the tall one, with the tits

Ddraig posted:

Anita Sarkeesian?

yeah or big mouth chick, she's an excellent example of women's opinions about stuff

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Dead Reckoning posted:

"Convincing" implies persuasion. Are you not defending the idea that protesters have the right to break the law and deny others the use of a public space (such as blocking a highway)?

A college lecture hall isn't a public space.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

do i? where did i say that?
hint: nowhere did i say that
Well, I bolded the part where you claimed the discussion was about content not partisanship, and if you don't think this discussion is about hounding certain speakers off campus, IDK what thread you think you're posting in.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

gobbagool posted:

Yeah, depends on how you feel about 500k dead iraqi kids I guess

http://www.salon.com/2016/05/11/col...000_iraqi_kids/

And now that you aren't just pulling names out of a hat and you've got a nice complaint that conservatives dislike and liberals cheerfully defend...

Oh no wait, you argue like you're too inbred for the Habsburg drooling team, and you've managed to come up with an example of someone the left finds unobjectionable who's massively objectionable to the left. Good loving work. Remember to swallow.

gobbagool posted:

You know, considering how familiar you are with Effectronica's rap sheet, I'd ask you to look at mine, but it's your old bugbear, reading comprehension (just kidding, even you could read mine, I'm literally just unpleasant to you and the guy who did literally no looking into who he was defending when he leapt to Milo's defense).

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I honestly think the Chapo Trap House crew would draw protesters on a college campus.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dead Reckoning posted:

Well, I bolded the part where you claimed the discussion was about content not partisanship, and if you don't think this discussion is about hounding certain speakers off campus, IDK what thread you think you're posting in.

well i'm talking specifically to the dude who is hell bent on proving team dynamics at work so if you want to reference a month old op for what i should be talking about instead then i'd like to respectfully inform you that i will be ignoring your opinion about what i should be arguing about, instead of the thing that i chose to argue about, thanks :)

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

I honestly think the Chapo Trap House crew would draw protesters on a college campus.

well yeah, they are deep state running-dog counterrevolutionary Gulenists, after all

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

it's odd that there aren't that many people explaining these opinions without openly hateful language. huh

What a wonderfully nebulous thing to say. Do I agree or disagree?? I must choose carefully.

Not much discussion of the Maryam Namazie ("that muslim woman") incident I notice. I'd loveeeee for somebody who actually knows about it to justify that one! There are women currently living poo poo lives in the middle east who desparately want discussions about women's rights under Islam to be happening in western societies, and Maryam was trying to literally do that, which you'd think the campus feminists of all people would support, but... you don't wanna be an Islamophobe! You wouldn't want the feelings of the literal Islamist muslim student organization of goldsmith's to be hurt by terrible statements like "Islam needs serious reformations, there are serious problems in many Muslim countries pertaining to minority and women's rights. Islam desparately needs a separation of Mosque and state.". What a white supremacist ya know?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Secular Humanist posted:

You wouldn't want the feelings of the literal Islamist muslim student organization of goldsmith's to be hurt by terrible statements like "Islam needs serious reformations, there are serious problems in many Muslim countries pertaining to minority and women's rights. Islam desparately needs a separation of Mosque and state.". What a white supremacist ya know?

well, yeah. they're people who deserve respect too, aren't they?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Secular Humanist posted:

What a wonderfully nebulous thing to say. Do I agree or disagree?? I must choose carefully.

Not much discussion of the Maryam Namazie ("that muslim woman") incident I notice. I'd loveeeee for somebody who actually knows about it to justify that one! There are women currently living poo poo lives in the middle east who desparately want discussions about women's rights under Islam to be happening in western societies, and Maryam was trying to literally do that, which you'd think the campus feminists of all people would support, but... you don't wanna be an Islamophobe! You wouldn't want the feelings of the literal Islamist muslim student organization of goldsmith's to be hurt by terrible statements like "Islam needs serious reformations, there are serious problems in many Muslim countries pertaining to minority and women's rights. Islam desparately needs a separation of Mosque and state.". What a white supremacist ya know?

Looks like the decision to ban her was reversed:

quote:

On Saturday reports emerged that Warwick University student union had blocked an event organised by its Atheists, Secularists and Humanists Society. The guest of honour was Maryam Namazie, who campaigns against religious ideology, with a particular focus on Islam. A student union official wrote to the society, saying, “There are a number of articles written both by the speaker and by others about the speaker that indicate that she is highly inflammatory, and could incite hatred on campus.”

The response was immediate and empassioned. A petition calling for the decision to be reversed was set up: 5,000 people signed it. The National Secular Society described it as “part of a worrying wave of censorship that we’re seeing across British universities under the guise of ‘safe spaces’”. The writer Kenan Malik called it “the latest act of student union free speech idiocy”. Richard Dawkins tweeted: “She’s a hero to all a university stands for. But cowardly useful idiots of Warwick have banned @MaryamNamazie.”

On Sunday night the union released a statement reversing the decision, which it stated had gone against normal procedures. The union president labelled it an “egregious and highly regrettable error”. Dawkins welcomed the “gracious apology” but added: “Will student unions now learn to stop kowtowing to Islamists?”

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

well, yeah. they're people who deserve respect too, aren't they?

So you're equating Maryam Namazie with white supremacy? What an interesting thing that says about you.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
imitation is a form of flattery, but in this case you can have it back, i dont want it, thanks

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

imitation is a form of flattery, but in this case you can have it back, i dont want it, thanks

Hey, you wear it well. You're the same guy that suggested that Veterans committing suicide was a good thing, it's not like you can hide from your own posting history and pretend that isn't you.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

WampaLord posted:

Looks like the decision to ban her was reversed:

I'm glad to see that, if annoyed that there was a ban in the first place.

The weird attacks on secular/liberal Muslims from the US and Euro Left is loving bizarre and disappointing.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Angular Landbury posted:

The weird attacks on secular/liberal Muslims from the US and Euro Left is loving bizarre and disappointing.

i don't think that's an accurate or factual statement, but if it's your opinion that's ok

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Angular Landbury posted:

I'm glad to see that, if annoyed that there was a ban in the first place.

Agreed on the first half, and I think that if anything the system should fail in the direction of more discussion of the issue rather than less. It is a touchy topic for very good reasons, but a fuller discussion would only help address concerns.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

i don't think that's an accurate or factual statement, but if it's your opinion that's ok

It's based on observations. I may certainly be observing some real kooks, and maybe I've been paying too much attention to loud idiots, but that's the impression I've been getting lately.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Who What Now posted:

A college lecture hall isn't a public space.
Kingfish & falcon, the people you were quoting and responding to at the start of this discussion, were specifically objecting to "no-platforming" and similar attempts by students to deny conservative speakers the ability to speak, rather than register their objections or to convince the administration to withdraw an invitation. You have continued to complain that protesters were being denied the opportunity to convince people while the discussion was about disruptive behavior.

Even if we assume for the purposes of this discussion that a lecture hall is not a public space, do you believe that protesters have the right to deny otherwise authorized and approved users the use of that space?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Angular Landbury posted:

It's based on observations. I may certainly be observing some real kooks, and maybe I've been paying too much attention to loud idiots, but that's the impression I've been getting lately.

The loudest and most extreme people on each side get disproportionate visibility, and their opponents only make it worse, because they naturally try to show how unreasonable their opponents are. It takes conscious effort to keep the less extreme viewpoints in mind, not misrepresent them as their more extreme cousins, and to understand that they're pretty popular.

• Locked thread