Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
its mainly cultural differences. japan has a more positive attitude towards that aesthetic. theres a whole bishonen thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

It is because of a few factors:

A) Making a villain looks non-traditionally threatening is a way of subverting expectations. Rather than getting stronger or more intimidating they become 'smaller' which subverts expectations.
B) Making a villain look beautiful and graceful tends to be an easy visual shorthand for nobility and refinement or attempts at being so.
C) Making a villain a hot dude appeals to the ladies and the guys who like hot dudes.

There's also, unfortunately, the occasional 'depraved queer person' stereotype contributing to it.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Wheat Loaf posted:

Could Freeza or Buu have been trapped by the Evil Containment Wave?

I assume so, as according to the unspeakably canon Budokai Tenkaichi 3, Spike the Devilman's Devil Beam which runs off of evil one shots Freeza so he's full of evil particles.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

There's also, unfortunately, the occasional 'depraved queer person' stereotype contributing to it.

That too. :smith:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Freeza is more of the "refined" nature, him being svelte and delicate never really came across as queer to me, just as royal superiority - the PT-BR dub voice for him helps that impression tho, it's quite baritone. His few demonstrations of power are very effortless, literal finger-pointing so stuff happens. The whole delicate nobility thing tends to contrast well with evil and their inevitable anger explosion too, as Freeza also demonstrates quite well.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Goddamn the Latin America Frieza is the best voice in the series. Goku's LA voice is the tits too.

Vegeta's Japanese VA is also loving amazing.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Japan thinks buff burly men (not in the fighter sense) are gay so the real evil queers of DBZ are the Red and Blue oni who literally run Hell

Flippinlikebirds
Feb 2, 2007
I'm an ideas man Michael. I think I proved that with Fuck Mountain.
General Blue is gay and he seems pretty evil

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dias posted:

Freeza is more of the "refined" nature, him being svelte and delicate never really came across as queer to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H01eq2Tc-WQ

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

We don't talk about non-Ayers English Friezas. Ever.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Whis gay?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Dias posted:

Freeza is more of the "refined" nature, him being svelte and delicate never really came across as queer to me, just as royal superiority - the PT-BR dub voice for him helps that impression tho, it's quite baritone. His few demonstrations of power are very effortless, literal finger-pointing so stuff happens. The whole delicate nobility thing tends to contrast well with evil and their inevitable anger explosion too, as Freeza also demonstrates quite well.

Yeah Frieza really works as a villain since he's almost the exact opposite of goku. Frieza's a cruel, verbose powerful tyrant who runs an intergalactic empire. He also refuses to train or work at anything since he doesn't need to. Contrast that with goku the good hearted, but sorta dumb, farmer who constantly works his rear end off.

While I like Cell saga better, It's not hard to understand why Frieza has stuck around as the premier DBZ baddie.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Reinanigans posted:

Goddamn the Latin America Frieza is the best voice in the series. Goku's LA voice is the tits too.

Vegeta's Japanese VA is also loving amazing.

I'm glad you understand the superiority of Latin American voice actors.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Yeah man. Telemundo was playing the Cell Saga and poo poo back when Toonami was still replaying the Raditz-Recoome Hell Loop. I started watching out of necessity, but ended up preferring it.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

hxh owns

also read the manga

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Whis is simply the life form known as Whis.

Alt. take: Whis gay, so what?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

Whis is simply the life form known as Whis.

Alt. take: Whis gay, so what?

Be careful with those GBS memes, your playing a dangerous game.

Whis is clearly an angel and therefor has no genitals :eng101:

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro

Reinanigans posted:

Yeah man. Telemundo was playing the Cell Saga and poo poo back when Toonami was still replaying the Raditz-Recoome HFIL Loop. I started watching out of necessity, but ended up preferring it.

FTFY

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Monaghan posted:

Yeah Frieza really works as a villain since he's almost the exact opposite of goku. Frieza's a cruel, verbose powerful tyrant who runs an intergalactic empire. He also refuses to train or work at anything since he doesn't need to. Contrast that with goku the good hearted, but sorta dumb, farmer who constantly works his rear end off.

While I like Cell saga better, It's not hard to understand why Frieza has stuck around as the premier DBZ baddie.

He's easily the most charismatic of the DBZ villains IMO, largely for how utterly in control and smug he is for the vast majority of his screen time. I know the precise lines were a localization choice, but I feel like the little exchange in the Kai dub of his fight with Goku really sums up Freeza's character really well. It's when he tells Goku "Hey, you're pretty good. But going by what I've seen, I'll start spanking you as soon as I start using half my power." Goku smiles back, but starts to sweat just a little. "Huh. That's big talk. Sounds like a bluff, if you ask me." And to this, Freeza just smirks and almost sighs. "Well, it's been fun."

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
New Super Manga

http://mangastream.com/r/dragon_ball_super/016/3693/1

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I like that Beerus was supposed to handle Buu, but just slept through the whole thing.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Cuplse Corp

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Not even consistent with their misspellings smh

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
That is an interesting different angle to everything.. The manga's Whis seems to be a few steps ahead of the show's Whis in piecing everything together.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Fuckin rich people and their warehouses of stuff

Yeah this warehouse is for clothes, this one's for food, this one's for capsules for other warehouses, and this is where we keep various incredibly powerful beings with world ending powers happy enough that they dont decide to kill us all

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

New Leaf posted:

That is an interesting different angle to everything.. The manga's Whis seems to be a few steps ahead of the show's Whis in piecing everything together.

I think this is probably because as a reader of the manga, you're probably watching the anime which is far ahead so you have privileged knowledge compare to most characters, so having one who is in the know works.

I like Pui-Pui and Yakon being jobbers regardless of continuity

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Okay so DB Fusions actually lets you fuse anyone with anyone, via Streetpass Fusions, and some of them get real weird

Broly x Vegetto

Teen Gohan X SSJ3 Trunks

SSJ3 Broly X Beerus

SSJB Goku x Krillin

Vegetto x Beerus

SSJG Goku x Buu

Frieza x SSG Goku

Krillin x Beerus

SSJ3 Goku x SSB Goku (Gogokuku)

Goku x Magetta

Kid Goku x SSJ3 Broly

Trunks x Android 16

SSB Vegeta x SSG Goku

and you get the idea. theres like a billion of these. the 'real' fusions all have unique designs but these ones are kind of thrown together and built out of the models of the two characters who get fused i guess

You pick your streetpass fusion character(like goku, krillin, buu, cell, yamcha, whoever), and then when you pass someone else, your character and their's fuses together and you both get to use them in the game

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

God, I hope the next Nintendo portable, be it NX or other makes it so all this cool Streetpass stuff has other means of access.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I will subject all your cool punchmans to a fate worse than death: fusion with Guldo

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'll fuse Guldo, Yamcha and Chiaotsu and make the least powerful being Earth has ever seen.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

So what happens to the Guldo and Chiaotsu bits?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Rigged Death Trap posted:

and this is where we keep various incredibly powerful beings with world ending powers happy enough that they dont decide to kill us all

...Bulma's bed and also the dinner table?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Josuke Higashikata posted:

So what happens to the Guldo and Chiaotsu bits?

It's just Yamcha with Guldo's short limbs and Chiaotsu's hat.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

people talk about characters not aging in dragon ball but what they should be paying attention to is the immortal cat of the briefs family

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mai gon get ate by the cat

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

https://mobile.twitter.com/gravitypriest/status/779179414617722880

How do you embed a tweet

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I was always dubious about Gohan tbh.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
God I was so loving hyped on Gohan and they did him so dirty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

It's cool because the world tournament/Great Saiyaman saga is around for just long enough you think they are actually going to run with Gohan being Coolguy Protag but then, haha, well

• Locked thread