Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Automated Posting
Jan 12, 2013

So I noticed in the patch notes that roman is being excluded from the list of cultures that can be used for a random-culture character, presumably to prevent ahistorical roman characters from being created via event-spawned characters like physicians, and possibly spreading their culture via education shenanigans. Ya'll might want to add a few more cultures to that list.

Meet Queen Lanthechilde of Italy...

The English-culture Karling the inherited the Kingdom of Lombardy in the year 802.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
It looks like physicians might be the only ones at risk of doing that, anyway. "culture = random" only appears once in the event files, for the "wandering genius" physician hire.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Strudel Man posted:

It looks like physicians might be the only ones at risk of doing that, anyway. "culture = random" only appears once in the event files, for the "wandering genius" physician hire.

Is there any kind of "culture must still exist" restriction on culture = random? Like, could you end up with a Roman physician?

e: Welp, that's what I get for not reading the post two above mine

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Pakled posted:

Is there any kind of "culture must still exist" restriction on culture = random? Like, could you end up with a Roman physician?
Not at present - but that's exactly what the patch is introducing. Or, well, not 'exactly' what it's introducing, but it sounds like a setting in the culture definitions that excludes it from being chosen randomly.

So try to get your roman physicians while you can. There's roughly a 4 in 117 chance of getting the wandering genius physician (or a little better, actually, since that's always available but certain other outcomes are not depending on your situation), and...96 cultures? Which would make something like 1 chance of 2800 (again, slightly better; I'll say in 1 in 2500) of getting a roman guy when you look for a physician.

edit: Actually, looks like used_for_random = no already exists in the culture definitions - it's just that only nahuatl uses it.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 22, 2016

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Automated Posting posted:

So I noticed in the patch notes that roman is being excluded from the list of cultures that can be used for a random-culture character, presumably to prevent ahistorical roman characters from being created via event-spawned characters like physicians, and possibly spreading their culture via education shenanigans. Ya'll might want to add a few more cultures to that list.

Meet Queen Lanthechilde of Italy...

The English-culture Karling the inherited the Kingdom of Lombardy in the year 802.

Seems like maybe instead of culture = random, there should be some kind of culture = random-existing instead - one that will still pick a culture at random, but only ones that exist in at least one province. That would keep Romans out, and it would also prevent melting pot cultures from showing up until they actually start appearing on the map.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Do not pillage all of the Byzantine Empire at the same time. Trust me.

:negative:

Well, me and the hundreds of thousands of rebels occupying every county. It's easy to defeat them in battle, but the event that spawns more followers to their cause will drown you in peasants. You'll spend half of your time closing the pop-ups from new rebellions.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Is this the worst screenshot you've ever seen, turns out the 476 mod does not perform that well. (It is in beta for reapers due, it's possible that when I left it run a bug hit it like a freight train)

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 23, 2016

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

What the hell is that religion in Iceland. can't quite read it "Eutychulan"? "Futycullan"?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

quote:

One formulation is that Eutychianism stressed the unity of Christ's nature to such an extent that Christ's divinity consumed his humanity as the ocean consumes a drop of vinegar. Eutyches maintained that Christ was of two natures but not in two natures: separate divine and human natures had united and blended in such a manner that although Jesus was homoousian with the Father, he was not homoousian with man.[1]

A niche form of Christianity evidently

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

What the hell is that religion in Iceland. can't quite read it "Eutychulan"? "Futycullan"?

Looks like Eutychian Christianity, which is yet another early Christian heresy over the issue of Christology.

E:F,B

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Is this the worst screenshot you've ever seen, turns out the 476 mod does not perform that well. (It is in beta for reapers due, it's possible that when I left it run a bug hit it like a freight train)

I think it's Atenism that's bothering me the most there. "Let's just revive the worship of a god no one's even heard of for almost two thousand years! And in the middle of the Sahara, for some reason!"

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

I'm not mocking the mod for having tons of religions, I want every tiny sect that has ever existed, not being ironic. Get on it pdox

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

To give it a chance, I'll run it from 476 to 600 and see what happens this time

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Are the people living in Iceland Norse or are they Irish monks?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Are the people living in Iceland Norse or are they Irish monks?

The game starts them as two Irish Christians

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

The Sin of Onan posted:

I think it's Atenism that's bothering me the most there. "Let's just revive the worship of a god no one's even heard of for almost two thousand years! And in the middle of the Sahara, for some reason!"

It looks like they've set the Garamantes up as Kemetists, and I guess Atenism was the only heresy they could come up with for that.

As far as wikipedia knows the pre-Islamic Berbers were running with some sort of Egyptian/Phoenician/Greek/Roman synthesis, so it may not be all that bad a call. Kind of shocked that CK2 modders failed to take advantage of an opportunity to cram Hellenism into every available, though.

And having druidism that far south in Britannia in 476 is total horseshit.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Autonomous Monster posted:

It looks like they've set the Garamantes up as Kemetists, and I guess Atenism was the only heresy they could come up with for that.

As far as wikipedia knows the pre-Islamic Berbers were running with some sort of Egyptian/Phoenician/Greek/Roman synthesis, so it may not be all that bad a call. Kind of shocked that CK2 modders failed to take advantage of an opportunity to cram Hellenism into every available, though.

And having druidism that far south in Britannia in 476 is total horseshit.

They probably just poached it from Lux Invicta, I'm pretty sure Atenism is the only heresy of Kemet in that.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's a surprising lack of Zoroastrianism in Persia on that map. I thought that pre-Islam is supposed to be when it was dominant in the region.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

570AD, much more normal looking. Now with much less Druidism in southern Britain!

Roland Jones posted:

There's a surprising lack of Zoroastrianism in Persia on that map. I thought that pre-Islam is supposed to be when it was dominant in the region.

For some reason, the Shah became...Jewish.

Here's 476 AD for comparison

EXCEPT I DONT HAVE IT BECAUSE IM DOING A WINDOWS UPDATE RIGHT NOW WOOPS

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 23, 2016

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

:ssh: That's the same picture twice!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Shouldn't there be some pre-Islamic Arabian paganism in there?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Pakled posted:

Shouldn't there be some pre-Islamic Arabian paganism in there?

That's after it's been running for a few hundred years. The second picture you can see some in southern Arabia, the red one labelled Semitic.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Darth Windu posted:

Family members get claims on your poo poo I never land family, I don't even marry anyone who will continue the line unless it's absolutely necessary. I like a properly trimmed family tree

I played a Brittania game where when I was a mere two duchy duke, I gave my brothers a single county each. They had claims due to primogeniture, but eventually the claims died out so only my unlanded kids ever had claims. So then I just started giving everything to dynasty members, and this was pre NAP so it made me have tons of allies, making defensive Holy Wars hilarious since allied vassals will raise their personal levy to defend in the war

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
I intentionally land people with claims both to make the game harder and to kill them off faster when they inevitably revolt and dont take mercenaries into consideration.

It's a good way to prune the family tree.

"A Tartan Tory has gained the trait Gardener"

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
I guess one thing I don't like in CK2+ is the fact that they give 'lunatic' rather punishing stat effects. Which, admittedly, is probably reasonable, but still ruins the fun of it.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
If you can't survive the occasional ruler being an insane cannibal that eats everyone he disagrees with, your dynasty is insufficiently robust.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Gimmick Account posted:

I'm curious: Can you actually have positive relations with other immortal characters, or is it all Highlander, all the time? In my current game, I'm going through the centuries with my loyal also-immortal mystic at my side. I like to think that the two of us have grown quite emotionally dependent on each other, as everyone else we befriend and invest our feelings in is doomed to eventually die.

It would be nice to sometimes also have a small circle of immortal superfriends at the end of the game instead of only the constant struggle that these screenshots hint at. :shobon:

You can befriend them if you have high diplo. And then possibly shank them while their guard is down.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Darkrenown posted:

You can befriend them if you have high diplo. And then possibly shank them while their guard is down.

On a related note, it would be nice to have an event chain that triggers when an immortal loves his wife where he can try to pass the secret on to her.

I also favour going full Highlander on the trait and having it make the character who has it incapable of having children. It would solve a lot of issues with selecting offspring, and give players a choice as an immortal who gains the trait before he has kids - do you step aside for a kinsman in the course of time, or do you try to become an eternal ruler and risk outliving your entire dynasty?

Last thing regarding Immortal I would like to see is a "Retire from the world" Intrigue decision in place of (or as well as) suicide. It is as if the character has died, but he didn't go to all the trouble of becoming immortal just to top himself. As well, it could potentially set up the story where the fabled king returns when his people need him most.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Jedit posted:

As well, it could potentially set up the story where the fabled king returns when his people need him most.

As an Adventurer?

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

What allows a vassal to claim a titular title? I created the Empire of Bulgaria after absorbing the de jure lands of Croatia, Serbia and Pannonia. Those crowns all became titular, with the Empire sharing the same lands as the Kingdom of Bulgaria. Shortly after I formed the Empire, the Duke of Croatia proclaimed himself the King of Croatia, and started the process of creating de jure lands under that title. Obviously, I took his head before that happened but... what allows vassals to claim titular titles, and is there any way to eliminate them entirely?

Next time I probably wont go Emperor - just stick as King, though I seem to recall that means less manpower overall?

Oh, and is it just me or are wars occasionally declared without a message appearing?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Jabor posted:

As an Adventurer?

I was thinking more to defend the realm from conquest, but if you're a tyrant who's gone full North Korea, why not?

I just tried marrying off my teenage daughter and she rebelled by taking a lover. Her older sister, to be precise. :stonk: Even weirder, neither of them is gay.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Jedit posted:

I was thinking more to defend the realm from conquest, but if you're a tyrant who's gone full North Korea, why not?

I just tried marrying off my teenage daughter and she rebelled by taking a lover. Her older sister, to be precise. :stonk: Even weirder, neither of them is gay.

Look, man, same-sex friendships in the middle ages were, like, really close.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...reports.970555/
2.6.2 beta is live!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

quote:

Devouring the Head of a religion not your own may give Sympathy towards it. You are what you eat.

"God's wounds! Some diabolic fiend hath devoured ye Pope!"

"For certes, we seeketh a man of ... <dons helm> Catholic tastes."

AYYYYEEEEEEE!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Moreau posted:

What allows a vassal to claim a titular title? I created the Empire of Bulgaria after absorbing the de jure lands of Croatia, Serbia and Pannonia. Those crowns all became titular, with the Empire sharing the same lands as the Kingdom of Bulgaria. Shortly after I formed the Empire, the Duke of Croatia proclaimed himself the King of Croatia, and started the process of creating de jure lands under that title. Obviously, I took his head before that happened but... what allows vassals to claim titular titles, and is there any way to eliminate them entirely?

Next time I probably wont go Emperor - just stick as King, though I seem to recall that means less manpower overall?

Oh, and is it just me or are wars occasionally declared without a message appearing?

Titular titles can be created if they control the de jure capital county for the title - even if it was a former de jure kingdom that's had all its land drift into other titles.

Sometimes titular titles have other requirements like religion/culture, but for the most part it's just the capital.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Jedit posted:

"God's wounds! Some diabolic fiend hath devoured ye Pope!"

"For certes, we seeketh a man of ... <dons helm> Catholic tastes."

AYYYYEEEEEEE!

:eyepop:

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I'm not mocking the mod for having tons of religions, I want every tiny sect that has ever existed, not being ironic. Get on it pdox

Same.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Looking at what they're doing for immortals and what's been suggested for them has made me think, you could probably make a good mod based off of the old World of Darkness Dark Age Vampire stuff for this game.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

This post-Roman mod has Root West

:psyduck::psyduck::psyduck::psyduck:

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Moreau posted:

I thinn titular tkingdoms only need the capital and a certain number of duchies. Pre-existing ones have different requirements but absorbing until a kingdom is titular probably makes it super easy to create.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Do you know if there is there anything specific causing the crashes so I can avoid doing it?

• Locked thread