Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the "video" of that was pretty sketchy. Like... a swarm of people were on the guy trying to help him up... the the cops showed up and saved the day. :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

BiggerBoat posted:

So I caught about 10 minutes of Rush this afternoon and it was absolutely sublime.

He was telling his audience to distrust any information they receive, don't automatically accept information without vetting it, don't take things at face value just because you read it or heard it, and claiming that the goal of "the media" is to repeat information and lies enough times to the point that you begin to believe what they want you to believe.

On the one hand, I agreed with him but the entire time I couldn't help but wonder where he'd be if HIS listeners applied these standards to his own unique brand of propagandistic bullshit. He was basically describing exactly what he does each and every day as simple matter of buttering his own bread in between counting goant stacks of money.

I like to think it was on purpose but I admit that I'm not sure. To hear him bascially describe himself, his methods and attribute these tendencies to the media at large put me in quite a snit.

And then he said "don't doubt me" a bunch of times.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
How to Know an Election is Over, brought to you by the world's smartest man.

dilly bar posted:

In the 2D world in which most people live, Clinton and Trump are polling about evenly, and either one could win. The 2D world is all about facts and policies and common sense. In other words – all the stuff we think we care about but really don’t.

In the 3D world of persuasion, however, the election is already over. There is still some mystery about how large the margin will be, but Trump is already the President of the United States unless something big happens in the next few weeks. How do I know that?

Listen to this clip in which Clinton asks why she isn’t leading by 50 points. Ignore the content of what she says, because no one cares about content. Just feel it.

And see the future.

In other news…

You might be wondering if Trump made mistakes this week when he mentioned both profiling and “stop and frisk.” Persuasion-wise, both comments are mistakes, because they work against his outreach strategy that has been effective. But these are minor problems because the news is providing the best-possible context for Trump’s comments.

On some level, everyone knows the government of the United States is already profiling, and will continue doing so. We just call it something else. No one believes that the U.S. checks Swedish immigrants as thoroughly as Syrian immigrants. Clearly we already profile – not just for race, but probably according to a dozen other variables. (And Islam still isn’t a race.)

Trump’s “stop and frisk” comment will haunt him for a few weeks, but it comes in the context of outrage about an African-American policeman killing an African-American citizen. According to the pundits on TV, that changed the frame from a problem of white-versus-black to a question of police training. And even Trump is asking why the police shot a man in Tulsa who appeared to be surrendering.

Trump is consistent in staking out whatever is the most bad-rear end sounding position on all matters of security. Later, following his well-observed pattern, he negotiates down to something that doesn’t violate the Constitution so much. So I wouldn’t worry about “stop and frisk” becoming a thing. States will figure out that stuff on their own.

No see it's okay when Trump says extremely stupid and terrible things because later he makes them slightly less terrible and stupid. There's no way that a guy who blurts out dumb poo poo without thinking could possibly do any harm as president, he's just showing he's a Master Persuader.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Since when are they "about even", Dilbert? :jerkbag:

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Hey guys, Dilbert is hurting for readers so they need a new reader base, and who is easier to trick into reading garbage than Trump voters?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I like how Adams is constantly switching between "Trump has already won" and "Hillary is gonna win, but I don't care". I wonder where he'll end up right before the election.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Noted right-wing media shithead Glenn Reynolds got himself in a bit of trouble:

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/local/...-394398621.html

quote:

Twitter agreed to unblock the account of a University of Tennessee law professor Thursday morning after the faculty member and contributing columnist for USA TODAY and the News Sentinel agreed to delete a post that urged motorists to run over demonstrators blocking traffic in Charlotte, N.C.

In response to a tweet from a TV news station in Charlotte that showed protesters on Interstate 277, the @Instapundit account wrote, “Run them down.”

Glenn Reynolds, the creator of the Instapundit blog, tweets from the handle @Instapundit.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

codenameFANGIO posted:

Since when are they "about even", Dilbert? :jerkbag:

I assume you're talking about Clinton and Trump, and If so, like... alot of recent polls :ohdear:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Oh boy

https://twitter.com/jamesmann23/status/778999056467058688

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

HOLY poo poo

Was Time previously considered a shill for the left? Because it will be now!

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Chilichimp posted:

Was Time previously considered a shill for the left?

hahahahahahahahahahaha

no.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

from my understanding, Time is just grown-up Highlights, so there's not really any sides taken

which they can't even get right. where are my find 10 puzzles?

where

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

PenguinKnight posted:

from my understanding, Time is just grown-up Highlights, so there's not really any sides taken

where

Well, yeah, but right America will see a story featuring red and golden boy Kaeperkneel and immediately write off the publication as as Sorosian propaganda rag.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

time leans right but isn't overtly right wing propaganda, but with the rise of fox news and more people getting their news from far right sources, it just seems liberal by comparison.

but this is the magazine that did this poo poo:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Instant Sunrise posted:

time leans right but isn't overtly right wing propaganda, but with the rise of fox news and more people getting their news from far right sources, it just seems liberal by comparison.

but this is the magazine that did this poo poo:

DYYYAAAAWERK

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

also it was either time or newsweek but during the early phase of the afghanistan war one of those magazines ran this illustration of bin laden in this bond villain-esque lair of mountain tunnels.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Instant Sunrise posted:

also it was either time or newsweek but during the early phase of the afghanistan war one of those magazines ran this illustration of bin laden in this bond villain-esque lair of mountain tunnels.

That always felt closer to a GI Joe Commander Cobra hidden mountain lair that was a super deluxe $100 toy to me.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Instant Sunrise posted:

I thought that was the WSJ. Either way I remember reading that when I was that age and totally, earnestly buying into it. Yes, Bin Laden had a mountain fortress in Afghanistan, but the Army was going to go find him, just like in the movies.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/SimonMaloy/status/779021575916032000
Seems accurate.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Nihilarian posted:

Where was Hillary Clinton on 9/11, huh? Was she out playing golf with her muslim lesbian lover, again, instead of in the Oval Office doing her job?

you think you're being funny but there were people blaming bill clinton for 9/11, i'm sure in their mind she was in on it with him

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

whaley posted:

you think you're being funny but there were people blaming bill clinton for 9/11, i'm sure in their mind she was in on it with him

Didn't the Bush admin partially dismantle security that was involved in the search for Bin Laden?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

whaley posted:

this was a pretty common line of attack in the bush years, that bill clinton should have done more in going after al queda after the 93 wtc bombing, embassy bombings and uss cole bombing† to prevent 9/11 from happening. at one point there was even some tv movie that had a scene where some us sniper had bin laden in his sights and clinton wouldn't give the kill order. (iirc they got a lot of flak for that)

---
†: ignoring that the retaliatory airstrikes for the embassy bombings were criticized for being a distraction from the lewinsky scandal

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style

Instant Sunrise posted:

this was a pretty common line of attack in the bush years, that bill clinton should have done more in going after al queda after the 93 wtc bombing, embassy bombings and uss cole bombing† to prevent 9/11 from happening. at one point there was even some tv movie that had a scene where some us sniper had bin laden in his sights and clinton wouldn't give the kill order. (iirc they got a lot of flak for that)

---
†: ignoring that the retaliatory airstrikes for the embassy bombings were criticized for being a distraction from the lewinsky scandal

Was the real reason we didn't go harder after terrorists during the Clinton era, the bombing of the chinese embassy in the Balkans? I remember hearing that theory.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

IAmThatIs posted:

Was the real reason we didn't go harder after terrorists during the Clinton era, the bombing of the chinese embassy in the Balkans? I remember hearing that theory.

The biggest reason is that so many in al qaeda were saudis and we didn't or couldn't twist their arms.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Can't wait for the right wing temper tantrums.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
For the love of all that's good, someone please photoshop Man of the Year on that cover!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

I dont get why shitheads on the right are so enraged about colin. all he did was silently sit down and protest the national anthem. thats it. the right are a bunch of oversensitive piss babies. but according to dickheads like King, he is an ISIS sympathizer and the great black menace of the nation.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I dont get why shitheads on the right are so enraged about colin. all he did was silently sit down and protest the national anthem. thats it. the right are a bunch of oversensitive piss babies. but according to dickheads like King, he is an ISIS sympathizer and the great black menace of the nation.

He's black and making a statement during sports which is normally a time even racist white dudes will "tolerate" black people.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
This was required viewing at the Academy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DI7u-TytRU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L2513JFJsY

I missed that guy during the Bush years. He knew stuff.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Chilichimp posted:

HOLY poo poo

Was Time previously considered a shill for the left? Because it will be now!

It was two and a half years ago that some anonymous editor there copy pasted Tal Fortgang's "Why I'll never apologize for my white privilege" article from the Princeton Tory

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Faustus posted:

This was required viewing at the Academy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DI7u-TytRU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L2513JFJsY

I missed that guy during the Bush years. He knew stuff.

Look at this smug rear end in a top hat with his high-water pants.

edit:

Watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrkPe-9rM1Q&feature=share

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 22, 2016

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/mattwalshblog/status/778941262623834113

Yeah, no

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I remember when people thought Walsh was primarily motivated by religious fanaticism and not racism.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Radish posted:

I remember when people thought Walsh was primarily motivated by religious fanaticism and not racism.

He doesn't see a difference.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

PenguinKnight posted:

where

wow you can't even find one of the find 10 puzzle find 10 puzzles?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

What about the Dearborn and Chicago franchises of ISIS?

There are parts of Chicago the police cannot enter without prominently carrying a pork sausage to offer up to the Polish mafia.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Trump winning the candidacy broke something in him, didn't it? His whole world is shattering, so he's lashing out more than ever to force things to make sense and not even trying to hide behind his fake compassion anymore.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

What the hell terrorism do they even *seem* to do? They just hold protests.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Night10194 posted:

What the hell terrorism do they even *seem* to do? They just hold protests.

...but people darker than a paper bag protesting IS terrifying to many white people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Seriously if BLM is our most terrible domestic terror threat than we are in happy loving times.

(Our actual major domestic terrorist threat is crazy militamen)