Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackmjolnir
Mar 30, 2010

Bitchesss

Oh I have no problems using public transportation, but some of the friends I want to meet up with are driving around the countryside one weekend, and trying to keep up using buses/trains would be a nightmare. I'll just suck it up and pay extra for an automatic for a couple days, sounds like it's definitely not worth the headache

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Ras Het posted:

Y'all need to give up on cars for a minute - you can take the bus to any remote backwoods hicksville basically anywhere in Europe.

This isn't really true. Going between reasonably large towns will generally be fine, but if you're somewhere really remote (and, especially, non-touristy) that bus service is going to be a lot less reliable.

Entropist posted:

lol Americans

Yes, or you can rent a bike to do the same! Though I guess that might be harder than learning to drive manual if all you do is drive everywhere.

I mean you could ride a bike the ~200km from Barcelona to Andorra but unless you're a professional cyclist I don't know why you would

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
drat, you Americans get so defensive about your cars. Who's talking about 200km? You wouldn't take a local bus for that distance either. The point was that there's an appropriate mode of transport for every distance, without needing to use a car, in Europe. Though admittedly in eastern Europe it gets difficult sometimes, everyone has cars there.

The Schwa posted:

I don't ride bikes here because we drive on the other side of the road at home and I'll get all confused, also on a bike I'll probably die

I rode a bike in Ireland where they drive on the wrong side of the road and have terrible bike infra, and I survived. It's fine, you get used to it quickly.

Entropist fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 21, 2016

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Entropist posted:

drat, you Americans get so defensive about your cars. Who's talking about 200km? You wouldn't take a local bus for that distance either. The point was that there's an appropriate mode of transport for every distance, without needing to use a car, in Europe. Though admittedly in eastern Europe it gets difficult sometimes, everyone has cars there.

Then your point is wrong because there is demonstrably not an appropriate mode of transport for every place or distance without a car. Tell me how you'd travel through the back roads of the Pyrenees? Is a bus driver going to turn down this cool looking mountain road because you asked him nicely? Are you going to take a bus to Puigcerda and bike up thousands of feet of road? Maybe you've never had a need for a car, but it's completely wrong to say there's never a time or place for it anywhere in Europe.

It's also kind of stupid to single out Americans because several of us talking about using cars here aren't American and Europeans love using cars almost as much as anyone else. Why aren't more French and Italians taking trains and buses for their holidays in July and August?

MagicCube fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 21, 2016

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Entropist posted:

Renting a bike is good for exploring a city, but then no-one was talking about that. What the OP mentioned was "adventuring" which is not a bike-friendly activity. And just fyi, I'm not American.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Oh, I must have imagined my countryside biking holidays then.

MagicCube posted:

Then your point is wrong because there is demonstrably not an appropriate mode of transport for every place or distance without a car. Tell me how you'd travel through the back roads of the Pyrenees? Is a bus driver going to turn down this cool looking mountain road because you asked him nicely? Are you going to take a bus to Puigcerda and bike up thousands of feet of road? Maybe you've never had a need for a car, but it's completely wrong to say there's never a time or place for it anywhere in Europe.

Well sure, if you stretch it enough you can probably find a place where nobody lives that you can't easily get to by bus + bike. But most of the time when people ask about renting a car in this thread, it is a situation in which it is inadvisable.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Entropist posted:

Well sure, if you stretch it enough you can probably find a place where nobody lives that you can't easily get to by bus + bike. But most of the time when people ask about renting a car in this thread, it is a situation in which it is inadvisable.

Many people here have terrible plans :downsrim:

Julio Cruz posted:

Renting a bike is good for exploring a city, but then no-one was talking about that. What the OP mentioned was "adventuring" which is not a bike-friendly activity. And just fyi, I'm not American.

Canadians and Australians are still American :downsrim:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Entropist posted:

In cities and going between cities, yes. But for exploring, especially in rural and/or non-touristy places, a car will be more reliable than buses and give you much greater range than a bike. Also if you think you're getting a bike on most rural European buses you're way off.

caberham posted:

Canadians and Australians are still American :downsrim:

Not one of those either.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I know how to drive a manual anyway :smugdog: Gonna ride that clutch all way to Scotland.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

Entropist posted:

I rode a bike in Ireland where they drive on the wrong side of the road and have terrible bike infra, and I survived. It's fine, you get used to it quickly.

last time I rode a bike in a foreign country the USA that drove on the wrong side of the road, I got hit by a car and spent three days in hospital, so I'm a little cagey about it now I guess

vv it was the USA I got hit in, yeah. I'm much more cautious around cars now and even crossing the road can make me really nervous at times, so I stick to not cycling.

The Schwa fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 22, 2016

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
For what it's worth, I've biked in every country I've ever visited and only in the USA have I ever been hit. Multiple times!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
In Spain there's actually some rigour to the driver training programme, so you'd probably be more safe as a cyclist there than anywhere in North America, where I'm convinced you could shave an ape and train it to pass the drivers' test in under a week.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Cars are awesome. I drive everywhere. Public transportation is just depressing.
Yes let me spend 3 times as long getting places on my expensive overseas holiday on overcrowded public transportation with dodgy climate control, this sounds like a great plan. (paying €7 for a hour of parking, also great).

thistravel
Feb 17, 2006

Ras Het posted:

Y'all need to give up on cars for a minute - you can take the bus to any remote backwoods hicksville basically anywhere in Europe.

This is bad advice. It will take you forever to get to most places by bus, even if they are served by buses.

Outside cities, the car will always be very efficient. You can go to Andorra from Barcelona

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

NihilismNow posted:

Cars are awesome. I drive everywhere. Public transportation is just depressing.
Yes let me spend 3 times as long getting places on my expensive overseas holiday on overcrowded public transportation with dodgy climate control, this sounds like a great plan. (paying €7 for a hour of parking, also great).

Also ridiculous: let me spend a huge part of my overseas vacation, mostly in countries that produce excellent, cheap wine, being sober enough to drive a car. gently caress that!

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

thistravel posted:

This is bad advice. It will take you forever to get to most places by bus, even if they are served by buses.

That's very relative. It doesn't really make a huge difference to me whether it takes me 7 or 10 hours to get to place X if I'm going to be reading, sleeping or drinking during that time anyway.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Ras Het posted:

That's very relative. It doesn't really make a huge difference to me whether it takes me 7 or 10 hours to get to place X if I'm going to be reading, sleeping or drinking during that time anyway.

I should mention that if you want to enjoy the Spanish nightlife you should really plan on napping between 2PM and 6PM. Whether thats in a hotel, on a bus/train or in a car while your hungover buddy drives is up to you.

Hashtag Banterzone fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 23, 2016

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

PT6A posted:

Also ridiculous: let me spend a huge part of my overseas vacation, mostly in countries that produce excellent, cheap wine, being sober enough to drive a car. gently caress that!

I'm going to drive my car to a winery and fall asleep in the cellar. And before doing that, make a post here.

Or call and UBER to where ever. If we are all endlessly circle jerking about cars I guess we in this thread are getting old. Yeah. Goons are getting old

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I should mention that if you want to enjoy the Spanish nightlife you should really plan on napping between 2PM and 6PM. Whether thats in a hotel, on a bus/train or in a car while your hungover buddy drives is up to you.

Does dinner unofficially start at 8pm like Italy? And :laffo: for following German time.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Shout out to Holland :shobon:

I really don't want to talk about cars in Europe, but this chain of rest stops in Italy rocks. You can find them on foot but they are everywhere on the highways.

http://www.autogrill.com/

Holy poo poo even their sandwiches and salami tastes a thousand times better than everywhere else I don't know why.

Sorry Holland.

caberham fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 23, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

caberham posted:

Does dinner unofficially start at 8pm like Italy? And :laffo: for following German time.

8PM in a big city like Madrid is a little bit early for dinner -- some places won't open for lunch until 2PM and will close the lunch service at around 5PM, so there's lot's of people who don't go out for dinner until 9-10PM.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Ras Het posted:

Hell yes brother. Never drive yourself anywhere if you don't have to.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 2, 2020

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

hackbunny posted:

I'm curious, is 8pm oddly early or oddly late to you? Because I'm Italian and reading this I'm nodding like "yep that's dinner time"

As an American that feels late to me but maybe that's because our restaurants are usually always open and we can go whenever we want. I just got back from France and they usually opened at 7pm there which felt fine.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
In Spain/Italy and the Mediterranean in general things run later because of siesta. Shops are often closed 12-2ish then open till 7-8pm, dinner starts at 8 or 9, and if you're going out drinking you don't leave the house till at least midnight.

Hip Flask
Dec 14, 2010

Zip Mask

HookShot posted:

Trying to figure out road signs in a foreign language,

For the most part, you dont have to know any language to understand european road signs: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_European_road_signs

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 2, 2020

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
My passport expires in February 2017. I'm planning on going to France October 2016. The State Department website says France does accept passports with 3 months left on them, which does give me just enough window.

Am I hosed? I think it might be too late to renew it, I don't want to risk having no passport at all. I'll do the standard stuff like be well dressed and polite and have proof of an exit flight.

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Sep 28, 2016

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
There's a minimum time for which your passport must be valid after your trip and yours will be valid past that. If you have issues, this is not the primary cause.

If you want to renew your passport beforehand for whatever reason, though, even expedited renewal might take too long depending on when you're leaving.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
As long as your passport expires > 90 days after the day you arrive, then you should be OK. I'm not an immigration lawyer though. Usually they warn you to not travel with a passport with < 6 months left of validity.

Edit: You might want to consider the expedited passport service though, depending on when specifically "October" is.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It's up to the discretion of the immigration officer to deport you. And when it comes to the discretion of border guards, they can cast a wide net and can throw the book at you if they feel like it.

For the comedy option besides Expedited service you can lose your passport in France and apply for a temporary travel document. Fun times at the embassy

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001
If you live in a city with a passport office, or can drive to one, you can get a passport in a day.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

caberham posted:

It's up to the discretion of the immigration officer to deport you. And when it comes to the discretion of border guards, they can cast a wide net and can throw the book at you if they feel like it.

For the comedy option besides Expedited service you can lose your passport in France and apply for a temporary travel document. Fun times at the embassy

This is the cardinal rule of travel.

Do not expect governments and their agents to accommodate you. Play by their rules on their schedule, or have a nice flight back home.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

caberham posted:

That assumes you've been admitted to France with the passport in the first place. No idea what your experience would be like but passing through CDG a few weeks ago the immigration agent's attitude seemed to be "You're American?" *stamp* "Next, please".

A few pictures from my trip to Paris and Switzerland:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
In my experience of having close calls, it's always the airlines throwing a fit instead of immigration because airlines are responsible for your ticket back home when you are refused entry

Most immigration officers do stamp things like a mindless drone but it's when there are other flags showing that this small thing might become a big one

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
Only at airline check in have I ever been questioned about visas, passport validity and/or return tickets.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
We're going to be spending four days in Florence in about two weeks. I have two questions.

First: Has anyone explored Tuscany via scooter? We were thinking about renting one for a day.

Second: I'd love some restaurant recommendations for Florence.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Omits-Bagels posted:

Coquinarius has a really good pear ravioli and the staff are very friendly. It is small, I remember them being iffy with reservations, so check that before you go.
Palle D'Oro has the best Bistecca alla Fiorentina out of all places in Florence I tried. You'll pay between 50 and 100 Euro for an enormous fire-grilled T-bone you are meant to share and is awesome.
I fratellini if you want to keep going and only need a sandwich to eat while walking. Long line, but it moves fast and your lunch will cost less than 5 Euro

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

I'm in Florence right now so I'd be down for some recommendations too. I'm a weird beer nerd if you know any spots for that. I also like places with cool street art and poo poo.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Omits-Bagels posted:

We're going to be spending four days in Florence in about two weeks. I have two questions.

First: Has anyone explored Tuscany via scooter? We were thinking about renting one for a day.

I'Brindellone for bistecca alla fiorentina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 2, 2020