Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

This will probably get zero traction and I'm not sure whether or not any of it has been posted or reported before but holy gently caress.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/donald-trump-business-campaign-trail-228500

quote:

Donald Trump’s presidential campaign has paid his family's businesses more than $8.2 million, according to a POLITICO analysis of campaign finance filings, which reveals an integrated business and political operation without precedent in national politics.

The GOP presidential nominee’s campaign has paid his various businesses for services including rent for his campaign offices ($1.3 million), food and facilities for events and meetings ($544,000) and payroll for Trump corporate staffers ($333,000) who helped with everything from his traveling security to his wife’s convention speech.

In all, the Trump campaign’s payments to Trump-owned businesses account for about 7 percent of its $119 million spending total, the analysis found.

How is this not a thing. How.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

A Winner is Jew posted:

He's still being investigated by the justice department though right? Because I need the fact that Hillary's justice department will investigate the gently caress out of him in my life.

LOL, I don't think so. If anybody is still investigating that mess it would the NCAA and I wouldn't trust anything they did.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

This can not be real. It literally requires the grading teacher to be smirking smugly like a cartoon villain as they mark both answers wrong.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Nessus posted:

I thought they'd just divvy up them by House districts, the issue perhaps then being that now the national Democrats would have a reason to try specifically to either unfuck the map or knock off the relevant House seats.

House seats don't match electoral votes unfortunately

also lol at how gerrymandered we are

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

On Terra Firma posted:

This will probably get zero traction and I'm not sure whether or not any of it has been posted or reported before but holy gently caress.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/donald-trump-business-campaign-trail-228500

He's also charging the Secret Service millions of dollars to fly in his plane and stay in his hotels, in addition to the amount he is charging his campaign for him to do those things AND how much he's charging it for his own personal security in addition to the Secret Service

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

He's also charging the Secret Service millions of dollars to fly in his plane and stay in his hotels, in addition to the amount he is charging his campaign for him to do those things AND how much he's charging it for his own personal security in addition to the Secret Service

If he gets away with it then yeah he is a pretty clever businessman.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Deified Data posted:

This can not be real. It literally requires the grading teacher to be smirking smugly like a cartoon villain as they mark both answers wrong.

As a teacher, I can see this maybe being something if you are using a key, in a rush, and have 30 students.

I have made tons of dumb mistakes grading too quickly with an answer key. I fix them when someone points them out though

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

On Terra Firma posted:

If he gets away with it then yeah he is a pretty clever businessman.

He's just an incredible, generational grifter

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Epic High Five posted:

I'm going to laugh my rear end off if Trump in his failure -also- brings about massive national support for campaign finance reform.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Republicans are not happy that the news about that VERY VIP person died at phase 4 instead of spreading to the rest of the media, so they're jumping straight to phase 6.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Deified Data posted:

If the standardized test is as dumb, the teacher is just doing the kid a favor.

However, the lesson isn't math it is compliance for success.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm going to laugh my rear end off if Trump in his failure -also- brings about massive national support for campaign finance reform.

He's in a situation where the GOP is begging him to raise money for them, is setting everything up for him to do so, and then he steals the money from them, and then they thank him and say he should be President

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Republicans are not happy that the news about Hillary's e-mails died at phase 4 instead of spreading to the rest of the media, so they're jumping straight to phase 6.

I was serious when I said lowtax and ZDR are going to be pissed when they get their own one too.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Epic High Five posted:

Why do you hate free market capitalism?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

"Hey wasn't this guy and his company interviewed extensively regarding the exact times covered by this po-"

"NOPE ALL NEW INFO WE PROMISE GET THE INFERNAL ENGINE FIRED UP IT'S TIME FOR ANOTHER SUBCOMMITTEE"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Deified Data posted:

when I was a kid, I could read at a college level when I was like, 10. I read lord of the rings and stuff. My teacher got really mad and assumed I was posing, so had me write a book report on lord of the rings for 'extra credit.' So I did. It wasn't deep analysis of the work or anything but I summarized the plots, including stuff that wasn't in the movies, and pointed out character motivations and stuff.

She still got really mad and forbade me from reading during lunch or during recess. My parents went to the principal and the principal said 'maybe your kid should stop pretending to be smart?"

That's the american school system.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Deified Data posted:

If you're trying to imprint the underlying fundamentals of linear algebra (ie math with matrices) onto kids then the order matters, because matrix multiplication is not commutative. Iirc that's part of common core, but I could be totally wrong.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Instant Sunrise posted:

colorado tried this in 2004 with a ballot initiative that would have changed it so that the state would award its electoral votes proportionally. it obviously didn't pass.

there was also a shortly lived movement after the 2000 election called the national popular vote interstate compact. which said that any state that signed it would award their electoral votes to the winner of the national popular vote regardless of state results, but only if 270 ev's worth of states signed on.

This is actually still a thing. It's just waiting for enough states to sign on before it takes effect...

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

With so much focus on how lovely Trump is, there hasn't been time to talk about how the rest of the party sucks.

Remember Todd Akin getting hung around Romney's neck? I hope there's a way to tie some of the bad elements of the Republican Party that Trump doesn't directly pander to, like homophobia, to him. Maybe the vice presidential debates could do that.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/healthcare/297208-clintons-eyes-a-window-into-her-health-issues

Meanwhile Trump is a 24/7 walking poster boy for the early stages of dementia and no one gives a gently caress.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Liquid Communism posted:

If you think the Republicans will listen to anything the public has to say that doesn't give them more than 5 figures in a single donation, I have a bridge to sell you.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Majorian posted:

Treating Wyoming as a legit state is automatically gerrymandering imo.

if california had the same number of people per electoral votes as wyoming, we'd have 200 electoral votes.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Dr Christmas posted:

With so much focus on how lovely Trump is, there hasn't been time to talk about how the rest of the party sucks.

Remember Todd Akin getting hung around Romney's neck? I hope there's a way to tie some of the bad elements of the Republican Party that Trump doesn't directly pander to, like homophobia, to him. Maybe the vice presidential debates could do that.

I'm pretty sure it hasn't escaped the notice of millions of North Carolinians as to how much their GOP overlords suck

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Endorph posted:

when I was a kid, I could read at a college level when I was like, 10. I read lord of the rings and stuff. My teacher got really mad and assumed I was posing, so had me write a book report on lord of the rings for 'extra credit.' So I did. It wasn't deep analysis of the work or anything but I summarized the plots, including stuff that wasn't in the movies, and pointed out character motivations and stuff.

She still got really mad and forbade me from reading during lunch or during recess. My parents went to the principal and the principal said 'maybe your kid should stop pretending to be smart?"

That's the american school system.

:stare:

what state was this, if I can ask? I'm training to be a teacher in New Jersey and all the schools I've worked in so far have encouraged independent reading and such. even when I was a kid I never had a teacher be such a jerk

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

On Terra Firma posted:

it's interesting but just one of a hundred similar stories. There's nobody who will be swayed by this particular story. Still, good to see numbers

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Republicans are not happy that the news about that VERY VIP person died at phase 4 instead of spreading to the rest of the media, so they're jumping straight to phase 6.

My god, which Republican is King REoL.

Phase 4 was real all along.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Magres posted:

If you're trying to imprint the underlying fundamentals of linear algebra (ie math with matrices) onto kids then the order matters, because matrix multiplication is not commutative. Iirc that's part of common core, but I could be totally wrong.

There's no loving way that matrix multiplication is part of common core.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Carlosologist posted:

:stare:

what state was this, if I can ask? I'm training to be a teacher in New Jersey and all the schools I've worked in so far have encouraged independent reading and such. even when I was a kid I never had a teacher be such a jerk

virginia

it was hick virginia so I wouldn't be surprised if it was against state guidelines, the school was basically a rundown shack.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I like that this story explicitly says 'even if it's his it actually has nothing to do with the thing they thought it did.'

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Majorian posted:

This is actually kind of a good idea, since it would demonstrate an understanding of things like racism that's been buried so deep the person in question doesn't know it's there.

e: Or are you talking about the eternal question of why Mookie throws the trash can?
Yeah, the trash can has always been the perfect litmus test.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I think we should give Tiny Brontosaurus a chance to weigh in on this one.

It's racist to assume all dinosaurs are old. Many, like me, are young and adorable.

Eschers Basement posted:

Ah, poo poo, wait, it was - it was the Statue of Liberty all along? So he had traveled through time, not space?

Crap. I'm never going to be allowed to tell people'l what I think about the negro. :smith:

So the cops knew that Internal Affairs were setting them up?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/AP/status/779109804937736192

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

On Terra Firma posted:

I don't think anyone is at all surprised by this, so it's probably why it will not get much play. But yeah pretty much as soon as he got the nomination he started enriching himself at the expense of the GOP. Keep in mind that they have had to help him set up offices in certain states because he's refusing to pay for it. It's a pretty obvious slush fund.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Tatsuta Age posted:

Wait when did two spaces after a period become wrong

Oh god is that really a thing?

I've become my dad :negative:

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't think anyone is at all surprised by this, so it's probably why it will not get much play. But yeah pretty much as soon as he got the nomination he started enriching himself at the expense of the GOP. Keep in mind that they have had to help him set up offices in certain states because he's refusing to pay for it. It's a pretty obvious slush fund.

Not just this but , the antics of Newt and Dr Ben have just numbed us to the grift.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Two spaces after a period was a temporary concession to the limitations of monospace type. If you look at books printed from the pre-typewriter era you'll notice they don't do that. It was just a way to help your eye see the end of sentences when text was so spread out on typewriters and early word processors. We've had the ability to do proportional spacing for a couple decades now, so many of you are typing in a way that went obsolete before you were probably born. Please stop.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Yeah, the trash can has always been the perfect litmus test.

My understanding of it as a litmus test is essentially "people who think Mookie was being a violent jerk for throwing the trash can and are wrong to implicitly equate the value of Raheem's life with the value of Sal's property," but that discussion of Mookie's motives in throwing the can, whether it was to vent his own (wholly reasonable) fury or to redirect the crowd's anger, is still in the air. Thoughts?

e: also im sorry, i can't not double-space my sentences because it's ingrained in my muscle memory

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Two spaces after a period was a temporary concession to the limitations of monospace type. If you look at books printed from the pre-typewriter era you'll notice they don't do that. It was just a way to help your eye see the end of sentences when text was so spread out on typewriters and early word processors. We've had the ability to do proportional spacing for a couple decades now, so many of you are typing in a way that went obsolete before you were probably born. Please stop.

No. You can't make me. :colbert:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

the correct typography in the meme era is no longer two spaces, but rather two Anime Hitler ASCIIs

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Jesus loving Christ, who loving cares? I'm so glad all the hopeless pedants in this thread have outed themselves.

All the hopeless posters who studied at the Fismech School of Posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Double space on iPhone puts in the period for me. :saddowns:

• Locked thread