Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Sun and water are healthy for you -- but not for your hair!
Fun Shoe

Spacewolf posted:

For a weird goonish project I am doing:

I'm trying to find how many 3 year olds there are in each country in Europe (as well as the US and Canada) as of 2014 or 2015. I have attempted to google "How many 3 year olds are there in <country>" but that doesn't really help. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

(I was able to find the US numbers for 2014 (4.043 million) via Census.gov, and am looking for Canadian numbers too, but find the European national statistics sites difficult to navigate.)

Find the number of live births in each country from the appropriate time period for current 3 year olds. That should give you workable data in a relative sense, so long as you note the methodology in your work.

LOVE,
VITALIS

Edit: Owned by Lawnie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Tin Gang posted:

I don't recognize it but I'd wager it's some generic royalty free song. Sorry for the useless answer.

Could well be. It was also used on a TV advert over here in the UK (I think around christmas?) a few years ago. If anyone can remember what the ad was for that might lead me to it.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why did GBS stop being a place to post and talk about the news, and then why was it deleted?

E: I don't post in GBS

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

showering has no effect on germs and is terrible for your skin. there is no good reason to do it

Turtlicious posted:

Why did GBS stop being a place to post and talk about the news,

I think when gbs decided to donate thousands of dollars to an alabama hot dog man and there wasn't a single post questioning it, the admins decided old gbs had gone about as far as it could go.

Turtlicious posted:

and then why was it deleted?

I think when gbs was still obsessed with an alabama hot dog man years after the fact without single funny or interesting ever being posted about it, the admins decided new gbs had gone about as far as it could go.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Neo GBS was a bastion of 4chan-level awful posting. I don't know why it survived a month, let alone multiple years.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Stupid question:

What's the best way to learn to drive properly?

I lived in NYC for too long, and didn't think I needed to drive there. Now I'm 21 and embarrassed to not have a license.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Find a friend you trust to teach you. And don't feel bad because I'm 30 and can't drive. Won't be able to learn for health reasons, either.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

KittyEmpress posted:

Stupid question:

I lived in NYC for too long, and didn't think I needed to drive there. Now I'm 21 and embarrassed to not have a license.

Driving school

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
GTA V

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Where can I find a good layman's overview of pre-Islamic / traditional religion in the Songhai Empire?

I've done some cursory searching but Wikipedia's woefully inadequate for this.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

KittyEmpress posted:

Stupid question:

You're young enough that when you do learn it, it'll eventually become second nature, almost as if you had learned at 16 like everyone else. If you put it off a few more years, though, you may never quite feel comfortable with it. So go learn now.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What is the World Wide Web? Is Xbox live a different internet?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Where can I find a good layman's overview of pre-Islamic / traditional religion in the Songhai Empire?

I've done some cursory searching but Wikipedia's woefully inadequate for this.

Try posting in an academic thread because medieval paganism is super specialized. All I remember from my undergrad course on West Africa is that little is known about actual practice 600 years ago.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Baron Porkface posted:

If you're young enough that when you do learn it, it'll eventually become second nature, almost as if you had learned at 16 like everyone else. If you put it off a few more years, though, you may never quite feel comfortable with it. So go learn now.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

1 800 J JAMES posted:

Sounds like a copy paste job for the lowliest and unluckiest admin person available?

We have a work experience intern in this week and my manager said "can she do it?"

My response was "even intern and work experience time is too valuable to waste doing this."

ValleyOfWalls posted:

Looks like this excel add-in provides this functionality.

I was holding out for something like this! Awesome, thanks.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Is https://twitter.com/DPRK_News real?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
So, in slightly older tv shows, mostly science fiction, there are usually what I call 'paranoia episodes'. In which a character suddenly wakes up for example in a modern day asylum, and they have to gradually piece together that they are not insane and that they are trapped in an illusion/dreamworld/holodeck/whatever. These were always my favourite episodes by far. I wonder if there is a specific name for these type of episodes?

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

So I have a habit of saving quotes I like, but often I forget where they came from. Google isn't helping in this instance. I think? it was from a movie, but it's also possible it was a book. Kind of a long shot, but if anyone knows what this quote is from I would appreciate it

“You kill a nobody and it makes you nobody. not a lot of people learn a lesson like that. some of them know they’re just nothing in the world, they keep at it though. they keep at it though. trying to carve out a niche. trying to step over the corpses of poo poo. they’re valuable to society. They’re only damaging the people that are already damaged. Nobody cares too much about them.”

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

You dare question the Supreme Leader?

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

showering has no effect on germs and is terrible for your skin. there is no good reason to do it

Namarrgon posted:

So, in slightly older tv shows, mostly science fiction, there are usually what I call 'paranoia episodes'. In which a character suddenly wakes up for example in a modern day asylum, and they have to gradually piece together that they are not insane and that they are trapped in an illusion/dreamworld/holodeck/whatever. These were always my favourite episodes by far. I wonder if there is a specific name for these type of episodes?

I know EXACTLY what you're talking about but I don't think there's any real name for it outside of gross fan wiki circles.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Mumps apparently has broken out in my workplace. I've received the MMR vaccine and its associated boosters on-schedule so I assume I don't have anything to worry about, right?

I'm 29 years old if that matters.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Tin Gang posted:

I know EXACTLY what you're talking about but I don't think there's any real name for it outside of gross fan wiki circles.

Found out that tvtropes calls them "Cuckoo Nest". God knows what the actual term is though, but that should be good enough to find more.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Baron Porkface posted:

Someone else could probably explain this way better, but the Internet is an enormous network that connects computers all over the world. There's also intranet, which connects computers within, say, a building for use by a company or other organization. The internet is basically the same thing except way bigger and any modern device can potentially connect to it.

Xbox Live works through the internet to connect the consoles to each other. It's not really separate from the WWW internet, it just utilizes it.

edit: vvvv noted

El Jeffe fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 24, 2016

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Strictly speaking, The internet is the global network as a whole, whereas the web refers only to web pages

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Mak0rz posted:

Mumps apparently has broken out in my workplace. I've received the MMR vaccine and its associated boosters on-schedule so I assume I don't have anything to worry about, right?

I'm 29 years old if that matters.
You've done everything you can but there's a 1 in 9 chance you'll catch mumps anyway. Have fun!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

KittyEmpress posted:

Stupid question:

Driving school driving school driving school.

I learned to drive when I was 16, then didn't drive for years, then relearned at driving school as an old. Driving schools are used to teaching adults. Everybody else I did driving practice with was at least 25.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

Stupid question:

Get a friend who knows how to drive and find an empty parking lot. Learning to drive itself isn't that difficult, the difficult parts are remembering the road laws. Also other drivers, but there isn't much you can do about them.

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.

No it's run by this guy: https://twitter.com/Popehat . In the past journalists have mistaken it for a genuine North Korean news source. Hilarity ensues.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
Does anyone have fixes for gummy/tacky bags?

Over the summer I kept my leather JOST backpack in my bedroom out of sunlight, but now it's come time to dust it off for the autumn the handle/straps are all gummy and whatever is coating/glueing the leather has also come off on the interior at the top.

I had this issue before with a Furla bag, but I was living in Japan at the time, and put it down to the humidity. However, I live in the UK now and while it has been 'hot' it's only really been around the 20s with minimal humidity, but I find the same issue with the bag.

More perplexing the Paul's Boutique patent bag which was kept in the same place has none of the same issues (which you would expect if it was a weather/storage problem).

So, can I fix this? If I can't how do I stop it happening again? What exactly is going on with these bags?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Updated windows 10 now I have no audio. what driver should i reinstall
nevermind figured it out gently caress computers.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

ChocNitty posted:

I got some music CD's without their jewel cases, and these are ones I do not recognize. If you know what albums they are, please let me know.

The buffalo rear end is half of Foo Fighters' In Your Honor

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
If I turn on a light switch with no light bulb or a burned out bulb, does my electric bill go up?

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

Maha posted:

If I turn on a light switch with no light bulb or a burned out bulb, does my electric bill go up?

No. Or at least only an insignificant amount.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Shouldn't go up at all. Your light switch is just an open circuit that you close when you want electricity to happen. If there's no bulb then there's still an open circuit, just somewhere else on the line.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Maha posted:

Nope. The lack of a bulb (or a bulb with a broken filament) does exactly the same thing that a lightswitch set to 'off' does -- interrupts the circuit, so there's no path for power to flow through.

At least, for an old style incandescent bulb. Fluorescents or LED bulbs might burn out differently, since they're more complicated than "put a shitload of power through this tiny wire and it'll heat up and glow", which is how incandescents work. I could imagine a fluorescent swirly bulb failing in such a way that it fails to light, but still uses power since it's trying.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
On iOS 10 is there a way to make the screen follow a text box as you type like it used to in 9? For example, when writing this post I have to manually drag the screen around to follow the cursor or I can't see what I'm typing. Previously it would follow the cursor automatically.

Also, is there a way to make it automatically switch back to the letter keyboard after inputting punctuation (also like it used to)?

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

I received a letter from Charter saying that my internet service monthy rate will go up at the end of the month due to a one year promotional rate expiring. However, I'll be moving to a new apartment then, is it possible to start over with charter at the initial promotional rate?

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

I literally just did the same thing (moved at the end of my promo rate) and all I had to do was call and tell them I was thinking of looking for more competitive pricing in my new area instead of renewing when I moved and they extended the promotional rate another year. As long as you're not a dick about it they generally won't call your bluff. It does help to have another price to compare it to just to make it sound like you're really ready to jump ship.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Powered Descent posted:

I could imagine a fluorescent swirly bulb failing in such a way that it fails to light, but still uses power since it's trying.

Seeing that incandescents are nearing extinction, Maha may well have been thinking of CFLs.

And now you've got me wondering if the ballast continues to draw any power at all after the tube's gone completely kaput.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

CaptainViolence posted:

I literally just did the same thing (moved at the end of my promo rate) and all I had to do was call and tell them I was thinking of looking for more competitive pricing in my new area instead of renewing when I moved and they extended the promotional rate another year. As long as you're not a dick about it they generally won't call your bluff. It does help to have another price to compare it to just to make it sound like you're really ready to jump ship.

usually saying (nicely) that you're looking elsewhere for a better deal is a good way to get promotional rates extended. i literally got my bill cut in half for an extra year because i said i was thinking of cancelling and moving to a competitor, even without moving.