Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

drat, that sucks

does +%poison damage affect the damage of item-granted skills like dreeg's infinite gaze?

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Slime posted:

So...is killing that thing in the necropolis the end of the game? Do I just up the difficulty now or something?

Aside from doing bounty quests and a couple of the better-hidden sidequests, that's the end. I've heard rumors that they're going to add another act in an expansion, but no idea how much truth there is.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

docbeard posted:

Aside from doing bounty quests and a couple of the better-hidden sidequests, that's the end. I've heard rumors that they're going to add another act in an expansion, but no idea how much truth there is.

It's coming, it's just that the game is made by a tiny team and it's gonna take them a while.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

docbeard posted:

Hmm. In terms of gameplay the game feels complete, but the story is just like...okay, there's Aetherials wrecking everything and they have a plan? Something to do with how they're pissed at the gods for kicking them out? The only god I've heard mentioned is C'Thon who I punched in the goddamn mouth. It seems like it starts building up to something with the Aetherials and then just...stops. They clearly set something up for an expansion later down the line what with Ulgrim getting sucked into a rift, and that feels like it'd be fine for an expansion but the stuff about the Aetherials just feels like they never finished the main plot in the first place.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Level 47 or so now and my eyeball character is a lot of fun. Between constellations, items, and the corruption relic, I have something like 5 different on-taking-damage effects that fill the air with horrible plague and vitriol whenever anything looks at me sideways. I am a hate piņata bursting at the seams with mustard gas and war crimes.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Slime posted:

Hmm. In terms of gameplay the game feels complete, but the story is just like...okay, there's Aetherials wrecking everything and they have a plan? Something to do with how they're pissed at the gods for kicking them out? The only god I've heard mentioned is C'Thon who I punched in the goddamn mouth. It seems like it starts building up to something with the Aetherials and then just...stops. They clearly set something up for an expansion later down the line what with Ulgrim getting sucked into a rift, and that feels like it'd be fine for an expansion but the stuff about the Aetherials just feels like they never finished the main plot in the first place.

Yeah they don't wrap the Aetherial side of the story up at all in the main game. You defeat the Cthonic big bad but then the Aetherials are just kind of... still out there or whatever.

Supposedly the first expansion will deal with that somewhat.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Slime posted:

You didn't punch C'Thon in the mouth, you punched one of his/her minions, which was the last boss.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Not to mention that hidden path DLC suggests something is happening with the witch gods.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

This game is cool and good, but I am a bit confused about effects that say they proc on a % chance with no other information. Is it just... any hit? For example, if I get a Devotion effect that just says "30% to explode in flames", does that mean any time I deal damage? Any time I deal damage with a basic attack? The Shaman's Thunderous Strike modifier says "Thunderous Strike is not a default weapon attack enhancer and cannot trigger effects like Feral Hunger." And Savagery says "If used as your default weapon attack..."

So... I guess some things are 'default weapon enhancers?' But which? Is Savagery an enhancer, or a replacement? Come to think of it, how do I use Savagery as my default weapon attack? Delete my default weapon attack from my toolbar? And other things are not default weapon enhancers, and cannot trigger some effects. Ones like Feral Hunger, I guess, although I don't know in what way they're like it, and it's all extremely vague and confusing and if I don't know these things my character is going to be poo poo aaaah

Anyways, some clarification of the various rules involved by somebody more knowledgable than me would be appreciated!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

Not to mention that hidden path DLC suggests something is happening with the witch gods.

Yeah, and when you call Mogdrogen's avatar in that shrine quest, he hints at goings-on too (in between taunting you and being all "gently caress you I don't have to talk to you, mortal").

The Rokstar posted:

It's coming, it's just that the game is made by a tiny team and it's gonna take them a while.

Ah, good. Yeah, makes total sense.

I don't really find the story that compelling (though there are side bits I like a lot, like the inexplicable orders, presumably by Aetherial-possessed folks, that Tyrant's Hold be abandoned) but it would be nice to have some better resolution to it all, and I'm looking forward to that.

Plus more and better ways to smash evil in the face.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

John Lee posted:

This game is cool and good, but I am a bit confused about effects that say they proc on a % chance with no other information. Is it just... any hit? For example, if I get a Devotion effect that just says "30% to explode in flames", does that mean any time I deal damage? Any time I deal damage with a basic attack? The Shaman's Thunderous Strike modifier says "Thunderous Strike is not a default weapon attack enhancer and cannot trigger effects like Feral Hunger." And Savagery says "If used as your default weapon attack..."

1) Devotion Effects. It depends. If it's just a node by itself that you don't have to attach an ability to, then yes, it's just always on. If you do have to attach an ability to it--and it'll be at least halfway clear about this once you unlock the node, and you can tell at a glance because they all have experience levels--then it'll only proc if you're using that specific attack. You can't attach it to your default attack, iirc, and you can't attach more than one devotion skill to a single ability. If only, if only, the woodpecker sighs :allears:

2) "*Not a default weapon attack." This is basically a way of saying, "this move looks almost exactly like a normal attack, but it's actually an activated spell like if you were throwing crows or summoning skeletons or loving whatever. It uses its own damage formula that is generally separate from your on-hand DPS."

3) "Yes, this is actually a default weapon attack." Basically an attack that you can feel free to replace the plain, boring, normal weapon attack keybinding with (originally left-click). The game treats it as the same boring attack, except it gets all kinds of fantastic passives attached. Only about half the classes have a default attack replacement ability, everyone else just has to use that lovely punch with no cool free effects.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

You didn't punch C'Thon in the mouth, you punched one of his/her minions, which was the last boss.

it was called the mouth of c'thon, so punched c'thon in the mouth :colbert:

John Lee posted:

So... I guess some things are 'default weapon enhancers?' But which? Is Savagery an enhancer, or a replacement? Come to think of it, how do I use Savagery as my default weapon attack? Delete my default weapon attack from my toolbar? And other things are not default weapon enhancers, and cannot trigger some effects. Ones like Feral Hunger, I guess, although I don't know in what way they're like it, and it's all extremely vague and confusing and if I don't know these things my character is going to be poo poo aaaah

Anyways, some clarification of the various rules involved by somebody more knowledgable than me would be appreciated!

With devotion procs at least you bind them to a specific attack and they only proc when you hit something with that attack. The chance of it proccing changes based on the attack, so fast spammy attacks like your basic attack have a low chance while bigger, slower, costlier attacks have a high chance of it proccing. I know weapon procs can land from things that aren't your basic attack too.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Right, right; I knew that about Devotion procs, it just got lost in my befuddlement.

So, some few skills just count as a regular attack, and the Thunderous Strike comment is just a helpful Pro Tip so you don't get confused? Ironic, I suppose! But thanks, guys, it's all clear now.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Slime posted:

The chance of it proccing changes based on the attack, so fast spammy attacks like your basic attack have a low chance while bigger, slower, costlier attacks have a high chance of it proccing. I know weapon procs can land from things that aren't your basic attack too.

It does? I dunno, man, Aetherfire was proccing left and right cleaning house with the Demolitionist's default attack replacement.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

crud

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Well that's attention to detail.

...that goes away once you're no longer co-oping though, right?

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

yeah if you guys picked opposite sides in coop game you'll have to run a game solo to do those specific order/kymon quests

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The funny part is that all of the faction dudes in the blood grove are hostile to someone in the crew. So they all have to die one way or another and it just sort of alternates which player is killing them and which one is ineffectually cheering them on

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

I picked the game up recently and it's been a blast. I've been running the Commando build detailed in the third post and it's allowed me to plow through my first veteran playthrough with relative ease. I'm level 42 now and was wondering why Fire Strike is favored over Cadence. Unless I've made a major error, it seems the build skews heavily in favor of physical damage which seems to have greater synergy with Cadence. I can also see that in the long run I'd probably want to drop both of them for an item granted ability, but were my instincts correct when I re-allocated my Fire Strike points into Cadence?

Any advice pertaining to that build for moving forward that isn't addressed in the post beyond this question would also be appreciated.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Fire Strike is always a Default Attack. The third hit on Cadence is considered an entirely separate attack, so all your default attack passives only work 2/3 of the time.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

It does? I dunno, man, Aetherfire was proccing left and right cleaning house with the Demolitionist's default attack replacement.

That's kind of the point. With fire strike you're probably attacking a fuckton, so there's lots of chances to proc. I stuck a devotion proc on demon's breath and it hit like 85% chance of activating. You can see on the devotion screen after you assign it to an attack what the actual odds are.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
vines and curse of weakness are Very Good with pets, huge crowd control so my guys can mulch them up.

Found the first boss very challenging (the Warden guy), and those spectral guys are a pain is the arse, but I assume that's because I'm dumping a shed full of points into the masteries bars rather than the skill icons themselves at this point, and my gear is basic lvl 19 character vendor trash.

I'm probably going to re-roll an arcanist/demolitionist and just go full dps aoe nonsense.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

Metal Meltdown posted:

I picked the game up recently and it's been a blast. I've been running the Commando build detailed in the third post and it's allowed me to plow through my first veteran playthrough with relative ease. I'm level 42 now and was wondering why Fire Strike is favored over Cadence. Unless I've made a major error, it seems the build skews heavily in favor of physical damage which seems to have greater synergy with Cadence. I can also see that in the long run I'd probably want to drop both of them for an item granted ability, but were my instincts correct when I re-allocated my Fire Strike points into Cadence?

Any advice pertaining to that build for moving forward that isn't addressed in the post beyond this question would also be appreciated.

nah you won't ever have to drop Cadence, a lot of the info on that skill is from before the recent patch which buffed it sky high

if your build is stacking phys then I'd say stick with Cadence (and max Deadly Momentum asap)

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Metal Meltdown posted:

Feel free to try Cadence and experiment. If you have a physical heavy bleed build, Cadence is good. The investment in Fire Strike for that build is mostly for the weapon damage multiplier. Also, what White Dragon said: there are some powerful abilities and effects that will only trigger off of default attacks. If 1/3 of your "default attacks" aren't considered default attacks, you have a much less chance of proccing those effects.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

What's the best devotion skill to attach to a dual pistols build and proc a shitload?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

What's the best devotion skill to attach to a dual pistols build and proc a shitload?

It's really going to depend on what damage type you're trying to maximize, but I've grown inordinately fond of Elemental Storm on my Amarasta's Blade Burst-focused character, and I can see it being hilarious on a gunner build as well.

There are probably better choices, though.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I've been meaning to get back into the game after playing its earlier in-development build a long while ago, so I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a fun pure caster build with Arcanist as the base?

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Before I consider buying this, is this a click to move like Torchlight and TQ?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Monolith. posted:

Yes.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Monolith. posted:

Yes, but you can also hold to move/attack.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
If you're trying to dual wield Cadence isn't what you should go for, right?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
What, like Soldier/Nightblade? Almost definitely not. Nightblade passives are for your default attack only, right?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
This has been sitting in my backlog for a while and I've had a couple of false starts, but the Commando build in the OP is great, and I'm finally getting into the game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Is there anything in particular that's known to hit performance really hard, I am getting worse performance on my 970 than when I last ran the game on a 560, especially in coop

The frame rate is really weird and pitchy and never responds consistently to the same number of enemies

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Megasabin posted:

My friend and I just got this game, and I'm having an issue where no matter what graphic settings I use it's running at 15-25FPS. This is strange became my computer is pretty beastly with I74ghz processor, NVIDIA Titan-X, and 16gb of ram. I even tried lowering the resolution, and it didn't affect anything at all. Is there any known issues with NVIDIA cards?

Ok if I go in a singleplayer game I am getting 144fps. Jump back into multiplayer with my friend and its back down to 20. Doesn't matter if he hosts or I host.

Megasabin posted:

Looking online, it seems to happen to people at random with no obvious cause and doesn't seem to be resolved for people who have the issue. It's also been a known issue dating back to 2014 that the devs have never responded to despite multiple threads on their forums and Reddit. Guess it's time to refund and go back to POE when I feel like scratching the ARPG itch.

The Mash posted:

Try some out-of-game CPU/core settings relating to how the game runs, the low fps is most likely a result of the game being inefficient about using multiple cores

I run it on a 970(and 4690k) fine.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Should I even bother grinding the Depraved Sanctuary more for Blood of C'thon, or just rush the Homestead stuff to get access to their real dungeons? I heard the boss there can drop it, but I've killed him four times now and nothing.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I wouldn't bother with grinding the Depraved Sanctuary, no. Once you hit the Blood Grove and beyond, you'll be swimming in Cthonics.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

OhFunny posted:

This has been sitting in my backlog for a while and I've had a couple of false starts, but the Commando build in the OP is great, and I'm finally getting into the game.

Glad it's working out for you. It seems that more people are starting to pick up this game recently, which is cool.

Something of note about the Commando build in the OP: Because the Grim Calc is out of date, there's a mod skill for Fire Strike you'd want to get: you probably already did this, but rush Searing Might.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Justin_Brett posted:

If you're trying to dual wield Cadence isn't what you should go for, right?

Cadence can work for dual-wield, because you'll attack so often it'll proc more. There may be better options, but it can be good depending on your build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Dahbadu posted:

Glad it's working out for you. It seems that more people are starting to pick up this game recently, which is cool.

Something of note about the Commando build in the OP: Because the Grim Calc is out of date, there's a mod skill for Fire Strike you'd want to get: you probably already did this, but rush Searing Might.

I actually hadn't noticed that. Thanks for letting me know.