Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Anyone looking for some cool terrain centerpieces, this has a few days left: Neo Tyrannis Cityscapes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Pash posted:

Anyone looking for some cool terrain centerpieces, this has a few days left: Neo Tyrannis Cityscapes

You're right, those are looking cool! There is more there now since I first looked, that cluster of tech buildings is nice.

Good luck to Incy and anyone else at Invasion today. Go put the thumb screws on Dave and Louis and find out where our Dropfleets are at. And whatever else may be in the works.

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
The books have just arrived and are being packed. They have two books at invasion, and I can confirm they are hawk books as I found a typo.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Incy posted:

The books have just arrived and are being packed. They have two books at invasion, and I can confirm they are hawk books as I found a typo.

You mean the Dropfleet books? Finally.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Incy posted:

Did they fix the lack of space bar being used? I do love the uncontrolledreactorevents ships can suffer!

Also: the more I play Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak, the more I dislike the Ferrum. :smith:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Oh, forgot to mention I played my first game with my post-Nova Open list today. God I feel like an idiot for not having Destroyers there. Also still like the Overseer, even if I wasn't able to fit an Annihilator for him to buddy up with.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Update is up. Sounds like everything is in, they are packing, all all stuff will be shipping sometime in the next three weeks. No real clues given on what order stuff will be going out, so I imagine some people might start getting stuff soon while others are going to have to wait a few weeks.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I'm going to use the Eden's Dinosaur to practice zenethial priming for Dropfleet.

With the flat weapons pod under the main body, should I do the zenethial effect on the main body and weapons pod separately, or do them together (and prime the space between the two black)?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

So what schemes are people using for their Dropfleets? I'm working on my models now and to be honest I'm going with a fairly dull scheme of dark blue greys, whites and red bits. It's a bit standard sci-fi affair. I was tempted to go for Homeworld-esque style colour palettes but I don't really have the confidence to pull something like that off:

Plus painting yellow looks miserable.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Flipswitch posted:

So what schemes are people using for their Dropfleets? I'm working on my models now and to be honest I'm going with a fairly dull scheme of dark blue greys, whites and red bits. It's a bit standard sci-fi affair. I was tempted to go for Homeworld-esque style colour palettes but I don't really have the confidence to pull something like that off:

Plus painting yellow looks miserable.

Once my stuff comes I am planning a few things. Going purple with the Shaltari, trying for a metallic green with the Scourge. I was thinking of doing a normal greyish thing for my UCM as well with some sort of color highlight. Not sure for my PHR, was thinking about doing a shiny black thing i found online, but found it harder to pull off then i like. Might still try it, or might do a bright white with a little freehand stuff on the sizes, metallic for the rest with blue engine things.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I posted my shaltari plans on the last page. For UCM i'm planning on going with the same as my fast movers, grey with teal markings. Also in general i prefer markings that don't follow panel lines too much. It's a bit more work to do cleanly but i think it looks better than picking a few random panels to be a different colour.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I've just base coated all my UCM oath in Val 70.995 German Grey as the base coat and fook me it's a dark tone. Still, it's probably going to be a bit typical for UCM forces but it looks good. I think I'll need a third colour on there that isn't a shade of drat grey though. Any ideas? That orange is rather tasty.

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10
I love 70.995 German Grey as a colour.

For my PHR i'm thinking of a glazed deep vivid blue on the main sloped sections following zenithal priming, with some generic grey contrast lines. Maybe orange exhausts.

Waiting on the kickstarter postage is killing me while Flipswitch casually posts models to paint in the Oath thread.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
German Grey is great, it' also the base for those Archangels.

Flipswitch posted:

That orange is rather tasty.

Do you mean the one on my markings or the DoK one?

Mine is P3 Ember Orange -> Cygnus Yellow -> Sulphuric Yellow -> Menoth White Highlight

I use GW Averland Sunset as a base because it covers really well, especially for a yellow but it gets entirely covered with the P3 paints.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

^^ I meant yours mate, I was looking into oranges now but it looks near enough to DoK that I can play around with it for something I want if I go that route. E: what did you highlight your Archangels with? I'm leaning towards French Mirage Blue as I want that slight blue tint to them but yours do look rather lovely. I think my other option was London Grey.

The Impaler posted:

I love 70.995 German Grey as a colour.

For my PHR i'm thinking of a glazed deep vivid blue on the main sloped sections following zenithal priming, with some generic grey contrast lines. Maybe orange exhausts.

Waiting on the kickstarter postage is killing me while Flipswitch casually posts models to paint in the Oath thread.

I like to send them to kushgroove and he threatens me with dick pics, it's great.

Yeah German Grey is really nice, I'm gonna do those oath models in the near-studio/soviet navy theme and see how it rocks out. If not I'll try something Homeworld-ian and see what's good.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Sep 23, 2016

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Figured I'd keep the turqoise base I use for my DzC PHR, with some Field Blue panelling, and bronze detailing, replacing the light grey panelling and bright orange stripes I use for the ground forces.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Flipswitch posted:

E: what did you highlight your Archangels with? I'm leaning towards French Mirage Blue as I want that slight blue tint to them but yours do look rather lovely. I think my other option was London Grey.
Just noticed this :v:

I first airbrushed Vallejo Neutral Grey and then did manual highlighting with Abteilung 502 German Grey Highlight which is an oil paint and does in fact have a slight blue tint. It's the same one i use for my ground forces but fleet gets a different base colour.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Tidy!

Finally got around to finish building my Phoenix this morning and man I do not feel comfortable with this model on such a thin flight stand. cool sculpt though.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Hello commanders!

A local store is having a 50% off sale on all dropzone stuff (if you're in Denmark, it's Faraos Cigarer. the rebate is not "live" on their website, but will be subtracted manually when you order)

I'll be ordering the 2 player starter set, A desolator and a Kodiak. Since my budget allows me to order one extra unit for both starter forces, i'm sort of lost as to what i should add that might give both sides some extra interesting stuff.

so, veterans of the reconquest, what should i add?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
People on the Facebook group and Kickstarter backers with small orders are starting to get shipping notifications. Looks like the time has come at last!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Loxbourne posted:

People on the Facebook group and Kickstarter backers with small orders are starting to get shipping notifications. Looks like the time has come at last!

Hell yeah. My order has a ton of bolt-ons, but with luck it'll arrive just in time for some October Oath Action.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Frobbe posted:

Hello commanders!

A local store is having a 50% off sale on all dropzone stuff (if you're in Denmark, it's Faraos Cigarer. the rebate is not "live" on their website, but will be subtracted manually when you order)

I'll be ordering the 2 player starter set, A desolator and a Kodiak. Since my budget allows me to order one extra unit for both starter forces, i'm sort of lost as to what i should add that might give both sides some extra interesting stuff.

so, veterans of the reconquest, what should i add?

For the UCM i'd go with a some Wolverines as the cheap route, the Kodiak really needs some scouts to spot for it.

Scourge could perhaps get some Prowlers? But you'd need dropships for them too.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I have next week off work, really hoping to get my Dropfleets in time to get cracking on it!

For Scourge suggestions, I would consider Monitors, Minders and possibly Destroyers but you will need dropships to go with them.

Wolverines are a good shout for UCM, other options could be Archangels and Falcons.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Okay, i've added Wolverines as the extra for my UCM, what dropship should i get for the scourge to go with any of the suggested units?

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Minders, Monitors and Prowlers all need the Intruder Beta, Destroyers would need the Intruder Alpha.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Archangels are a good shout for UCM for sure, I tend to run 1x in a lot of lists, they're cheap and worth it when they're such a low price. I really like Praetorian Snipers but they're pretty expensive. Hazards are a good shout too, I'd heavily consider an Eagle. :)

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Maybe it's just the guy that uses them, but I haven't been impressed with Hazards at all. They tend to enter combat with my Destroyers and just get, well, destroyed.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

wdarkk posted:

Maybe it's just the guy that uses them, but I haven't been impressed with Hazards at all. They tend to enter combat with my Destroyers and just get, well, destroyed.
Yeah, that's the issue. The last thing hazard suits want to do is get into CQB. :v:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

Yeah, that's the issue. The last thing hazard suits want to do is get into CQB. :v:

I was really astounded when I got into CQB with them. I was like "CQB 1? For real?"

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
There should be a flamethrower variant of the Hazard Suits that a) sets the entire building on fire b) is immune to fire.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

wdarkk posted:

Destroyers are one of the better CQB units in the game thanks to their durability. Before Eviscerators were a thing it was rare to see a scourge list that didn't include 2 squads and they could go toe to toe with most things and last for two or three rounds.

Eviscerators can also do this, but it doesn't show because not much can survive being in the same building as them for a second round!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I had the Eviscerator chaps shake hands with my Hazards once. After that I've never let that loving transport near my lines ever again!

Also finished my first ship and starting a second with a different paint scheme to see which I prefer, this one is VERY close to the studio scheme:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

Also finished my first ship and starting a second with a different paint scheme to see which I prefer, this one is VERY close to the studio scheme:

That looks good. Mostly drybrushing?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

yea dude, drybrush after airbrushing the base coat and some quick lines via brush for last layers and the light grey/engines/rockets. I'll do proper layering for cruisers but not for these little shits.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Big big backer update about the additions to the rulebook.

Ramming is in, orbital debris is in, approach type (how your fleet arrives on the field), etc.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

wdarkk posted:

Big big backer update about the additions to the rulebook.

Ramming is in, orbital debris is in, approach type (how your fleet arrives on the field), etc.
On ramming:

quote:

This has been discussed at considerable length, and has now been added due to popular demand and (admittedly) for sheer fun factor. However, since ramming in the Greek Trireme sense is extremely hard to pull off in high velocity space combat, the actual thing your desperate captain is doing when you ram is closing to suicidal point blank weapons range and/or detonating the drives for massive devastation. Since this always results in the destruction of your ship, you can only do this when the ship is almost destroyed as a last and desperate attempt to drag the enemy down with you! If you can pull off a successful ram though, the results can be devastating... Rolling a number of Lock 3+ dice equal to your starting hull points can be RUINOUS, especially if it's a 22 HP battleship doing the ramming...

I know they were against it initially given the scale and distances involved, but I'm glad they added it. I also really like that it's meant as a last-ditch effort for a crippled ship.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

gently caress me, there's a lot of guns on this Jakarta.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
Jakarta ? I hardly knew 'er !

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

That update contains many interesting things! The ramming change sounds good, if it is guaranteed that your ship will die that should discourage people from over using it. Also the bit about toning down bombers, from the beta day comments that was sounding overly powerful.

Adding space terrain sounds like a big change, and one I guess was probably needed. I was getting the impression that most games were going to be mostly empty tables aside from the ships themselves, this should be more interesting. Those space station kits just became more important though I guess. Likewise, more sector types. Probably a good thing, but as someone who ordered the resin sector upgrade set this probably means I'm going to need another set to get the whole range now! If it looks cool I guess I'll suck it up sooner or later.

Command cards are coming? I'm a little surprised they are announcing this now but not surprised that they are starting to see the value to them. Were they originally left out of the design to differentiate the games? Curious to know more about how that decision came about.

And then there is the DzC/DfC integration rules. 5 pages on this sounds like it could be reasonably substantial? I imagine we are going to see this used in that upcoming Beasts of War campaign.

Lots of cool things! But no email from the couriers! Curses!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yo dudes, got a painting question.

I painted up my first mini and was pretty happy with the outcome. But I decided to work on a second to see if I could come up with an alternate scheme I preferred and fancied giving orange a go, but something with it isn't quite coming out right:

The greys are subtly different in each ship, the top/Lima-class uses a bit more of a blue grey and the Jakarta is a bit darker in real life, my lamp has really lit the thing up. I wanted to add some contrasting light grey panels on the second one to offset the orange, but I'm not really sure where to place it, it just isn't quite working yet as a colour theme? any suggestions? and which do you lot think looks better?

The first model is finished and sealed, the second still has a bit to go but I'm a bit lost on it.