Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

Herv posted:

So it looks like Magi P'Tasa is on perma sock. Anyone know who I have to pay/beg to get a staff of elemental mastery: earth?

I have seen like one Magi in 3 months...

You could maybe buy one for like 150-200k, if not more. Other than that, just gotta 'sock it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
I decided to try this out. I never played EQ back in the day (first MMORPG was Anarchy Online). So far I'm very confused by basic UI things like putting buttons on hotbars, and trying to figure out how to trade to NPCs. (Which I eventually did.) There's something charming about a game being so actively hostile to attempts to use it, though. :v:

EDIT: Hey, just figured out how to make a macro, too. Whee!

Kenlon fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Sep 18, 2016

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Kenlon posted:

I decided to try this out. I never played EQ back in the day (first MMORPG was Anarchy Online). So far I'm very confused by basic UI things like putting buttons on hotbars, and trying to figure out how to trade to NPCs. (Which I eventually did.) There's something charming about a game being so actively hostile to attempts to use it, though. :v:

EDIT: Hey, just figured out how to make a macro, too. Whee!

And suddenly you look at the clock and it's SIXTEEN YEARS LATER OH GOD WHAT HAPPENED TO MY LIFE

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
And then I almost drowned in the pool near Redfist's Metal in Kaladim before I could get out. :saddowns:

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
I am thinking of bringing my 48 bard named Toccata and my 45 necro Unfetereds out of retirement on red. Is my old guild Thunderdome still active? Also do Teg and Alharra still post here?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I am thinking of bringing my 48 bard named Toccata and my 45 necro Unfetereds out of retirement on red. Is my old guild Thunderdome still active? Also do Teg and Alharra still post here?

Thunderdome is still active. I just joined them actually. Got a 42 bard (Johncougar) and 48 shaman (Forrest). I don't know what if any other goons are playing still on red.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
I'm having way too much fun with this, and I don't know why. Got to 5 off of bard mail quests, joined up with a Crushbone group and spent the rest of the evening killing orcs and running from trains - only got to halfway through level 6 after a couple hours. This should not be fun, and yet it still is.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Ginette Reno posted:

Thunderdome is still active. I just joined them actually. Got a 42 bard (Johncougar) and 48 shaman (Forrest). I don't know what if any other goons are playing still on red.

I'm on Red. I play very casually (which is the niche I think Red fills), but I am still on at least twice a week. Lot's of cool stuff going on in the box, lot of pvp lately.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
took a break but i've been having some fun on my warlock again, and i got my enchanter up to 35 so far. Tashmanian Devil -- there's no better chanter name

on the side i'm farming plat on the necro, hoping to make a monk twink some day. they look pretty fun.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe
Hey Goons,

Lets say I wanted me own EMU server, what would be the cost of spinning up a server with classic through planes?
I would then need to change the game significantly. I want a custom server called "Pantheon".

The basic idea is to treat all of EQ like an RPG you play through once with a group and "Beat EQ".
I define beating EQ as
1. The group of 6 players between them having 1 of each class at max level/AA's with any possible gear they might desire.
2. The the party killing every mob at-least once. Completing every significant quest at-least once.
3. Crafting each significant item at-least once.

To enable this the following changes would need to be made:
Each zone would be instanced. You can tell and NPC to respawn the zone at the entry, mobs don't respawn unless you want them to.
Mobs grant much more exp (how much is TBD) , to hit max level/AA's you basically kill everything once, and do all the quests / crafting you need to/want to do.
Obviously every mob/raid needs to be beatable by a single group.
For parties without all human players (be that single or boxing), I would want mercs/bots or the ability to make a PC into a bot temporarily.
All loot drop 100% of the time and x6. so players didn't have to kill a mob multiple times unless for fun.
All quest mobs up 100% of the time.
All named mobs up 100% of the time.

Players would then be able to make a plan to work their way through all of the games content making sure to kill everything and complete quests on their way to killing the gods and becoming one themselves.

Thoughts?

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Some of what you want can be 'out of the box' by rolling your own server.

I doubt the traffic would be horrible so you can host it at your house if you have a decent pc and internet connection.

The rest, like 100 loot drops and instancing classic zones, welp maybe someone else can chime in.

e; Start here, I was able to get the server up in about an hour fwiw.
http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=28690

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe

Herv posted:

Some of what you want can be 'out of the box' by rolling your own server.

I doubt the traffic would be horrible so you can host it at your house if you have a decent pc and internet connection.

The rest, like 100 loot drops and instancing classic zones, welp maybe someone else can chime in.

e; Start here, I was able to get the server up in about an hour fwiw.
http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=28690

Yeah, i'd totally pay a dude to do the work, just no idea how much work it would really be.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Smedley is probably going to be looking for some work here shortly based on how the Everquest Hero's Song kickstarter is going...

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

KingFisher posted:

Dream server

I made a server a few weekends ago. My idea was to make a game I could play with my non-eq loving friends that would allow us in a group of 5 to do some of the better raids in the game. I made it so that they log on, make a character are boosted to max, and click off gear to buy from a merchant. It was a really fun night of playing through some of the zones.

It wasn't worth the amount of work that it took. I sat around in the EQemu discord channel for a little while and the forums before I started. Apperently the skill set to dev an eq server is so specialized--not just the mysql and quest scripting--but interacting with the client that people can't pay others to do it for them. There was a thread in the SoD forum where I saw people willing to pay someone to finish some aspect of their game, and no one would know how to interact with their databases without months of toying around with trivial things.

that was my experience, maybe others could share some stuff. It's pretty easy to just ahve a server and run some eq commands, so if you wanna dick around it would be cool but even the empty no-pop servers on the green list of the emu took so much work to get to that point.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

lemonslol posted:

Dream servers are fun for a bit. Then...

I totally agree. The level curve from using the top admin commands to scripting events is gigantic.

I just did poo poo like this, was fun as hell for a few nights, then... meh.

http://www.rerolled.org/showthread.php?4108-EQEMU-Boss-Fights

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
A kind goon dropped a bunch of gear on me last night - it's amazing what having a good weapon does for your ability to kill things. Though I did have to root and sit to med a lot (clerics not being solo powerhouses.) I managed to hit 10 and am hoping to pack on a couple more levels tonight so I can maybe go to Unrest and give that place a try. My anti-undead nukes look pretty useful.

EDIT: He also gave me some plat - how much would it cost to get some weight reducing bags? Is that a sane thing to shoot for as a new player?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

thats loving awesome

makes me wanna set up my own but im afraid it would consume my gaming time for much too long

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Kenlon posted:

A kind goon dropped a bunch of gear on me last night - it's amazing what having a good weapon does for your ability to kill things. Though I did have to root and sit to med a lot (clerics not being solo powerhouses.) I managed to hit 10 and am hoping to pack on a couple more levels tonight so I can maybe go to Unrest and give that place a try. My anti-undead nukes look pretty useful.

EDIT: He also gave me some plat - how much would it cost to get some weight reducing bags? Is that a sane thing to shoot for as a new player?

you can get shralok packs 25% reduc for about 100pp, lionhide packs 35% for 150-200

i started thinking about and being able to afford weight reduction bags around 20 ish on my first character

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Orange Red Bull posted:

i started thinking about and being able to afford weight reduction bags around 20 ish on my first character

Hmm. That would chew through all my cash pretty fast. I got a pretty neat helmet/weapon/gloves/rings, but I'm wearing tattered/patchwork in all the other slots. Should I armor up first? And if so, what would be good to try to get?

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006

Kenlon posted:

Hmm. That would chew through all my cash pretty fast. I got a pretty neat helmet/weapon/gloves/rings, but I'm wearing tattered/patchwork in all the other slots. Should I armor up first? And if so, what would be good to try to get?
You want pieces with WIS, followed by +mana, then +HP/STA. You could look into buying a set of plate armor, but I think the player crafted variants are still above what you'd want to spend (or be able to afford). Your mana pool is the single most important thing. Also, you really don't need to worry about WR bags too Mich early on.

Also, soloing is nice EXP, but grouping in Unrest can also be quite nice. As a cleric that's not twinked you're really not going to have the DPS output wanted as you get just a bit higher.

This is going to sound very mean, but groups that have a lot of hybrids cut into your EXP (unless they've adjusted that). So, SKs, Paladins, Rangers, and Bards are all XP sappers. Bards are at least lovely for utility. And if someone is twinked very heavily the speed of kills might outweigh the EXP nerf.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

gepgepgep posted:

This is going to sound very mean, but groups that have a lot of hybrids cut into your EXP (unless they've adjusted that). So, SKs, Paladins, Rangers, and Bards are all XP sappers. Bards are at least lovely for utility. And if someone is twinked very heavily the speed of kills might outweigh the EXP nerf.

They removed the hybrid penalty last year, according to the wiki. So that's not a thing. I have a decent idea of what stats to look for, the problem is that I have no idea what items actually have them or what good prices for things are. I guess I'm just worried about being ripped off if I go advertising my cluelessness at the EC tunnel.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Kenlon posted:

They removed the hybrid penalty last year, according to the wiki. So that's not a thing. I have a decent idea of what stats to look for, the problem is that I have no idea what items actually have them or what good prices for things are. I guess I'm just worried about being ripped off if I go advertising my cluelessness at the EC tunnel.

There's a gear guide on the wiki for all classes, try checking out the one for clerics.

Here's a life feed of the EC tunnel: http://ahungry.com/eqauctions

Here's a good site that lets you browse goods that are on auction in the tunnel: http://www.p99auctions.com/

Depending on what time you play I could hook you up with some jewelry.

One thing I did on my dwarven cleric was hand in bone chips for leather pieces (this was at very low levels, up until 10 I think) at the paladin guild in Kaladim, and then I did the Ogre Heads quest, specifically for the headpiece. I love the latter because it really reflects how quests are handled in EQ. Even now, there's a bunch of speculation on how to get the mobs to spawn, on how to best fight them etc. Some exploring, patience and luck needed!

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

That's just a list of every single item that clerics can use, though.

quote:

Here's a life feed of the EC tunnel: http://ahungry.com/eqauctions

Here's a good site that lets you browse goods that are on auction in the tunnel: http://www.p99auctions.com/

Now that's pretty drat awesome. Going to bookmark that.

quote:

Depending on what time you play I could hook you up with some jewelry.

gepgepgep gave me a pair of Golden Fire Wedding rings, which are a pretty big stack of HP for my level.

Like I said, I think it's mostly just my paranoia about trusting sellers to not rip me off - playing EVE for years does that to you. I'll watch the auction scroll for a while, since I have to sit and med a bunch. (Currently soloing at the Chessboard in Butcherblock, hit 11 just a minute ago.)

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Herv posted:

I totally agree. The level curve from using the top admin commands to scripting events is gigantic.

I just did poo poo like this, was fun as hell for a few nights, then... meh.

http://www.rerolled.org/showthread.php?4108-EQEMU-Boss-Fights
I love the one with Tunare vs. Neriak where they all start a cascade of footstep sounds after getting worn down by DS. :D

KingFisher posted:

Hey Goons,

Lets say I wanted me own EMU server, what would be the cost of spinning up a server with classic through planes?
I would then need to change the game significantly. I want a custom server called "Pantheon".

The basic idea is to treat all of EQ like an RPG you play through once with a group and "Beat EQ".
I define beating EQ as
1. The group of 6 players between them having 1 of each class at max level/AA's with any possible gear they might desire.
2. The the party killing every mob at-least once. Completing every significant quest at-least once.

Each zone would be instanced. You can tell and NPC to respawn the zone at the entry, mobs don't respawn unless you want them to.
Mobs grant much more exp (how much is TBD) , to hit max level/AA's you basically kill everything once, and do all the quests / crafting you need to/want to do.
For parties without all human players (be that single or boxing), I would want mercs/bots or the ability to make a PC into a bot temporarily.
All loot drop 100% of the time and x6. so players didn't have to kill a mob multiple times unless for fun.

Players would then be able to make a plan to work their way through all of the games content making sure to kill everything and complete quests on their way to killing the gods and becoming one themselves.

Thoughts?
Sorry to be a party pooper, but if you aren't a fairly experienced software developer with advanced knowledge of C++ (the codebase of EQEmu), ability to setup a server, and at least more than basic database knowledge I would forget it. Sure you can hire a consultant, but it would drain your wallet beyond belief, and I think it would be very frustrating not knowing what is done, when it's done and being able to do it yourself. Hacking EMU servers is for programmers, it's not like setting up a WordPress site. :)

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Sep 23, 2016

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

75% of this you could setup in a weekend.

KingFisher posted:

Hey Goons,

I define beating EQ as
This is the hard part that would take some time to make a quest for and would require some hefty perl scripting.

KingFisher posted:

There is a plugin for instanced zones and NPC respawn would only be a few line script that can be written in a few minutes.

KingFisher posted:

Adjustable in the database, takes 15 seconds.

KingFisher posted:

Tuning would be another long term task, easy to do but would take a while to get right for every mob you wanted to retune.

KingFisher posted:

Plugin for mercs, again a bit of work but you could write a script that could copy the stuff down from a PC to an NPC merc, copying loot back would be much harder. Workaround take NO DROP, LORE tags off all items so you could trade the item to the PC.

KingFisher posted:

Easy, again just long hours of boring work.

Da Mott Man fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Sep 23, 2016

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Kenlon posted:

It's an unwieldy list, yes, but it also allows you to familiarize yourself with what kinds of gear is out there, and where and how to get it. As you're finding out, playing EQ involves a lot of downtime, especially soloing as a caster. Having stuff to read up on is a good way to pass that time :)

(Also: /gems)

There's a number of characters in EC that buy stuff for cheap and sell it at a stupidly high price, because that's the way they enjoy the game. The server is really old, though, and there's a ridiculous amount of money floating around, so getting the right gear at the right price is mostly just a waiting game. Also, most people are really generous, I've found.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Da Mott Man posted:

75% of this you could setup in a weekend.

This is the hard part that would take some time to make a quest for and would require some hefty perl scripting.
I hadn't thought about using the quest system for that, that's a good idea.

But still... if the guy has never seen a database before, it would be nigh impossible to do alone.

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006
I'm pretty clueless on Velious gear, as the only actual Velious crap I did was practice all the end-game raiding on Beta. Didn't even make it to live, and a small part of me is sad I don't have a primal spear...bit I digress.

I've often found that there's enough people who take a decent lowball or will haggle in EC. I've made too much plat simply from flipping stuff too. Check ahungry for a reference on what the price seems to run around, and offer a bit lower. Also, don't worry about having best in slot early on. You're better off getting small, cheap stat improvements in all slots before jumping to higher tier items. I might have a few other pieces on some other mules and casters, but will have to check. Giving you those items was the longest I'd logged in for in over 12 months I think...

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

Kenlon posted:

Meatgrinder posted:

It's an unwieldy list, yes, but it also allows you to familiarize yourself with what kinds of gear is out there, and where and how to get it. As you're finding out, playing EQ involves a lot of downtime, especially soloing as a caster. Having stuff to read up on is a good way to pass that time :)

This. What you'll end up doing (what I ended up doing at least) was sorting the tables by the stat that was important to me and then checking the prices in the auction sites to find the going rates. Once I found one that looked like a good value, I'd keep an eye out for it. You may not be able to afford best-in-slot gear for quite some time (or ever) but 10th best or so can be quite a bargain some times.

Otherwise, just buy a full suit of banded and upgrade with drops as time goes by.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

And, lastly, and I cannot stress this enough: level > gear.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
Thanks for the advice - I got about 3/4ths of ten in a Crushbone group, then soloed the Chessboard in Butcherblock to 11.25 and wandered over to Unrest to check it out. I can kill Death Beetles (if I don't pull more than a couple blues or one white), but I'm definitely hoping to do some grouping there tonight. I need to go sell my Crushbone belts at some point, though - I have forty or so of those bagged up in my bank, so I figure I'll go to EC at some point, sell those, and try to get some banded at least.

Thanks for all the advice!

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Meatgrinder posted:

And, lastly, and I cannot stress this enough: level > gear.
True, although for melee, weapons are ridiculously influential on your damage output.

I also put a lot of cash into clickies when I played - goblin earring, jboots, stave of shielding (technically not a clickie, proccie?), etc. Their power boost is not so great (except Jboots of course), but I just loooooove clickies.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I know we've had this convo before, but gear in EQ is super trivial and most of it doesn't really loving matter for a long time.

Melee? Weapons and haste item make big differences. Str helps, but individual pieces of gear won't do poo poo compared to an actual buff.

Caster? Wis/int just lets you get more casts before needing to med. Later on FT items helps with this. But nothing makes you actual cast harder.

Bard? An instrument. That's it.

Sure, when you start raiding stacking resists and hp/ac and stuff is what you do, because what else would you do? But it's not like most modern MMOs where each piece of gear sees a noteable power increase, aside from what I noted earlier.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I will say that as you get higher level as a caster, mobs begin to resist a lot more. This means that if you don't have a large mana pool to compensate and [i]ensure[i] that the mob kill happens that you waste an entire med cycle on a failed kill attempt. You are correct though, there isn't really any sort of "cast harder / do more damage" items or stats in EQ.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
One neat thing about casters is that skill can really help overcome the gear issue. With Enc's and Mag's it comes down to fast fingers for sure.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
also as a cleric or necromancer you get your divine aura line of spells. it might be a level 1 spell for clerics, but you should never have that off. it'll save your guts when things go wrong. i always keep it up on my necro.

gear wise, i'd say the most powerful/imbalanced item would obviously be the fungi tunic. for casters, just get int/wis/mana/hp and don't play stupid. some clickies out there make a caster better: circlet of shadow for necro. rod of insidious glamour and gazughi ring for enc, etc. having some form of insta-clicky or two is always nice, simply because you can spam it and refresh your spell icon gems instantly, without having to wait for the normal cool down delay. that two-three second cool down can be pretty loving crucial.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

pepito sanchez posted:

also as a cleric or necromancer you get your divine aura line of spells. it might be a level 1 spell for clerics, but you should never have that off. it'll save your guts when things go wrong. i always keep it up on my necro.

gear wise, i'd say the most powerful/imbalanced item would obviously be the fungi tunic. for casters, just get int/wis/mana/hp and don't play stupid. some clickies out there make a caster better: circlet of shadow for necro. rod of insidious glamour and gazughi ring for enc, etc. having some form of insta-clicky or two is always nice, simply because you can spam it and refresh your spell icon gems instantly, without having to wait for the normal cool down delay. that two-three second cool down can be pretty loving crucial.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Kromzek_Surveyor_Scope I think is the cheapest option for quickcasting like this. great power boost at all levels being able to spam gem #1

the vision change is a bit annoying

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
i actually used that for a while for the insta-click. yeah, the vision change is massively annoying.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
The gnome tinkered telescope was pretty much the go to clicky for indoor use pre-kunark. Many many nag and vox kills with that loving zoomed in vision, ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

I'm grinding scarecrows on my level 19 dwarven cleric in West Karana, and it's sort of boring. If anyone feels like doing something - or with my 50 enchanter - in the next few hours, shoot me a tell on Jakobus.