Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

COOL CORN posted:

Gary Grigsby's War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

I'm doing my first game against the AI (I've done a bunch of partial mp games against goons). Highly entertaining but it feels a bit like cheating so far. I have a stranglehold on Rabaul and the Japanese aren't going to be able to successfully invade south of there, no matter how poorly they try.

Edit: I do love the naval combat, and also loved carriers at war as well

Baudin fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Thing about WitPAE is that carrier battles ultimately feel random.

If you play the coral sea over and over again, doing the same moves, you will get different results every time.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Phi230 posted:

If you play the coral sea over and over again, doing the same moves, you will get different results every time.

Part of the charm is the random results you can get :p

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Saros posted:

Okay for a newbie ATG game we have:

DarthJebus
War Dogs
RA Rx (maybe)
FastestGun (need email still)

mavisbeacon at gmail

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Shockingly he isn't even on probation.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
:yet:

e: Oh, sorry. :baloogan:

Oh, huh...

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

He's now an IK, but he occasionally probates himself if he gets drunk enough

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Anyone here try out atlantic fleet? I bought it the other day and it's a blast except for the fact I can't figure out how to target submarines with carrier aircraft.

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.
Just picked up ATG. I'm down for that, or another go at DC:WtP, or even DC:Barbarossa or WiTE! PM me!

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Phi230 posted:

Super predetermined battles would suck the fun out of it. Half the game is stacking the deck against the enemy until you are drat near certain to win. The other half is deciding whether the deck is sufficiently stacked yet. If you could always determine exactly who is going to win, then the losing side has no incentive to actually fight.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Partly the randomness is because Carrier ops work the same for both sides whereas IRL the US had a significant practical advantage. Midway played out in game is going to come off as an IJN victory more often than not.

Nick Esasky
Nov 10, 2009
so, i went and got ATG. Anyone have recommendations on interesting mods/scenarios to try with it?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ArchangeI posted:

Super predetermined battles would suck the fun out of it. Half the game is stacking the deck against the enemy until you are drat near certain to win. The other half is deciding whether the deck is sufficiently stacked yet. If you could always determine exactly who is going to win, then the losing side has no incentive to actually fight.

Exactly. Coral Sea being "random" is the point, because the mistake was making Coral Sea happen in the first place under those conditions. Send the entire KB towards Port Moresby and dare Fletcher to stop them.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Nick Esasky posted:

so, i went and got ATG. Anyone have recommendations on interesting mods/scenarios to try with it?

Check out the official forums. There are a lot of mods floating around but they're not that well curated. Definitely used the 'new dawn' settings at least as they add the whole ToE system and leaders etc over the base game.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
So last year I heard about Sovereignty: Crown of Kings going into Early Access, and after picking my jaw up off the floor about a Slitherine game going on Steam I looked into it and thought "there are some interesting ideas here, I'm getting a really awesome Birthright vibe and basically love the idea of a really deep fantasy 4X, I'll wishlist it and pick it up when it leaves EA."

A year and a half later it's still in EA. :cripes:

Is there anyone ITT with less willpower than me who can say if it's a) looking close to done and/or b) actually any good?

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

Dallan Invictus posted:

So last year I heard about Sovereignty: Crown of Kings going into Early Access, and after picking my jaw up off the floor about a Slitherine game going on Steam I looked into it and thought "there are some interesting ideas here, I'm getting a really awesome Birthright vibe and basically love the idea of a really deep fantasy 4X, I'll wishlist it and pick it up when it leaves EA."

A year and a half later it's still in EA. :cripes:

Is there anyone ITT with less willpower than me who can say if it's a) looking close to done and/or b) actually any good?

It's okay-ish. The tactical combat is fun at least. There has been a lot of updates while the game has been in EA but they haven't really added any new features which is pretty disappointing.

Do note that it's not really a 4X, it's more of grand strategy game. Strategy part isn't all that deep either.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

ATG newbie game is off, destination: World War.

Teams are 3v3: SU + FR + AR vs DE + CH + US

May god have mercy on them all.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Saros posted:

ATG newbie game is off, destination: World War.

Teams are 3v3: SU + FR + AR vs DE + CH + US

May god have mercy on them all.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
That's some fine border gore the map generator produced for us.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Oh I spent a bunch of time tidying it up. and moving stuff away from borders too, it was even worse before!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

In command how do I properly utilize AWACS? Do I want them orbiting a single point or use two points to have it travel back and forth parallel to the carrier group or airbase?

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Stairmaster posted:

In command how do I properly utilize AWACS? Do I want them orbiting a single point or use two points to have it travel back and forth parallel to the carrier group or airbase?

Practically speaking, you can do either. I usually do a line with two points for aesthetic reasons.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
If you really want to sperg about AEW positioning, use a transit altitude of 2000-4000 ft, set EMCON only to go active on station.

Positioning of carrier based patrols are all done with a "threat vector" in mind, the expected direction of attack. For example in the north atlantic you would expect attack from the north east. Your AEW's station should be off this axis, so the enemy doesn't get the bearing of your carrier from the emissions of your AEW. Your AEW station should be roughly parallel with your threat vector, this increases the time required to triangulate your AEW's position from its emissions for sensors along the threat vector.

Your carrier's course shouldn't be parallel with the threat vector for a few reasons, ideally you want to zig zag a bit. This unmasks sensors/directors along the threat axis.

You might have multiple threat axes, one for submarine threat, one for air threat.

Having more than one patrol point is essential for triangulating signals.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I don't know if it exists somewhere still but Harpoon II had a really great strategy guide written a billion years ago that applies pretty directly to questions like that and a lot of other Command stuff.

e: I think this is the one https://www.amazon.com/Harpoon-II-Official-Strategy-Secrets/dp/1559584572

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Hopefully I'm not holding the newbie game up but I did get my game to work so if I am the last one I'll be able to do my turn tonight

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005
Meanwhile On the Mius Front, The Germans are bravely goosestepping at the enemy in the face of certain defeat...

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lockmart Lawndart posted:

Meanwhile On the Mius Front, The Germans are bravely goosestepping at the enemy in the face of certain defeat...

Yup, welcome to Graviteam

also why is it that Wargames such as Graviteam Tactics and Combat mission:

(1) have dudes just like completely ignore or run circles around enemies very clearly in close proximity;

(2) not detect enemies in close proximity; and

(3) refuse to fire at enemies in clear line of sight, or have the enemy in their sights but refuse to fire.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Phi230 posted:

(1) have dudes just like completely ignore or run circles around enemies very clearly in close proximity;

(3) refuse to fire at enemies in clear line of sight, or have the enemy in their sights but refuse to fire.

It's best to think of the infantry models as abstractions for an entire unit. You're firing at a unit of infantry that aren't necessarily where the unit models are displayed on screen.

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

Phi230 posted:

Having served in the army IRL, can confirm that this is an authentic simulation of real soldiers.

Lockmart Lawndart fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 25, 2016

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Popete posted:

It's best to think of the infantry models as abstractions for an entire unit. You're firing at a unit of infantry that aren't necessarily where the unit models are displayed on screen.

Except GTMF and Combat Mission model individual men

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Maybe they're actually bad games... :ssh:

srsly: Let's all learn to make games and make a good Combat Mission that runs at better framerates than the highly acceptable 12 and also doesn't do stupid poo poo!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

srsly: Let's all learn to make games and make a good Combat Mission that runs at better framerates than the highly acceptable 12 and also doesn't do stupid poo poo!

I dream of this scenario.

Like, I had a real dream where I Crobberts' together a game studio just to make a Combat Mission game that didn't suck

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

It's called Men of War: Assault Squad.

Or XCOM.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Well human eyes can't see more than 12fps

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I like Fortress Italy :(

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Grognard (n)

From the French grognard ‎(“grumbler”).

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

LordPants posted:

I like Fortress Italy :(

You are only allowed to like the Platonic idea of wargame, it says so in the club's rulebook. The games that you actually play are mere shadows of that abstract idea.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Phi230 posted:

Someone on the dev team actually believed and simulated SLA Marshall's bullshit perhaps.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

AceRimmer posted:

Someone on the dev team actually believed and simulated SLA Marshall's bullshit perhaps.

I think the AI just sucks, and the LOS calculations/whatever just suck and makes the AI suck, suck worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

AceRimmer posted:

What's SLA Marshall's bullshit? Is he the guy that said that it took thousands of rounds to inflict one casualty in WWII or the Vietnam War?