Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
how hosed up is it that this protest has lead to Chip Kelly and Skip Bayless being reasonable on national television

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

how hosed up is it that this protest has lead to Chip Kelly and Skip Bayless being reasonable on national television

Change is happening, maybe the change we need? White guys speaking out in support of this issue.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
also lol 44% gonna leave NFL for black man kneeling and not public funded stadiums and concussions

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Kalli posted:

It'd be pretty great if Kelly had ended that by saying, "so you want players to refuse questions not related to football and yet you want me to focus on this non-football related question?"

That's along the lines of what I tweeted at Lowell Cohn.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

also lol 44% gonna leave NFL for black man kneeling and not public funded stadiums and concussions

u forgot rape and DV

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Chichevache posted:

Imagine reading this article right after the Riley Cooper news broke, when Chip kept him on the team.

No you see he went to racism camp for 3 days and was cured so it's ok.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Asproigerosis posted:

No you see he went to racism camp for 3 days and was cured so it's ok.

Racism camp is a funny name for Chip Kelly's OTAs.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

:drat:

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

See they're only being placed on leave for manslaughtering minorities!

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

i dont even get how people can oppose Kaepernick or that blacks are being slain by cops unjustly. What the hell is the argument against it?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

:thurman:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Madcosby posted:

i dont even get how people can oppose Kaepernick or that blacks are being slain by cops unjustly. What the hell is the argument against it?

"Every single one of these shootings was justified," was a thing I saw someone post as a response to a friend linking an op-ed in support of Kaepernic.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Madcosby posted:

"Shut up and don't rock the boat. You've got it better here than in Africa."

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Madcosby posted:

Step 1: Ignore black guy who got shot for obeying police officers because the cop wanted to shoot the black autistic guy next to him

Step 2: Fixate on the black guy who got shot and had a gun (or had a 'gun') or who didn't follow police orders (or 'didn't follow police orders').

Step 3: Screech "Well, if they're so worried, maybe they should do something about all the blacks killing each other! THERE'S the problem!"

Step 4: Smugly huff and puff about honoring vets who fought for our rights, perhaps adding in something about "speaking German/Japanese/A-Rab/British" if it weren't for those brave men (NOTE: If you never served, this becomes Step 1 and must be said as loudly as possible).

Congratulations! You're now a white suburbanite!

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Didn't that Tulsa cop get charged with manslaughter?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Madcosby posted:

It's not an argument, it's more the result of the implied premise that black lives don't matter. It gets reiterated every time the phrase "all/blue lives matter" gets sharted out in conversation. The phrase isn't meant to convey the actual meaning behind the words, it's an action to correct/oppose the notion that black lives do matter without using a slur or face-threatening activity.

It's probably one of the most vile things I've seen in my lifetime.

I hate people.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

sam bradford lmao posted:

Didn't that Tulsa cop get charged with manslaughter?

yup
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/23/us/tulsa-officer-charged-in-fatal-shooting-of-black-driver.html?_r=0

TULSA, Okla. — The white police officer who fatally shot an unarmed black driver here last week as he stood outside his vehicle overreacted during a confrontation captured on video and was charged on Thursday with first-degree manslaughter, the authorities said.

According to court documents, the officer, Betty Jo Shelby, 42, was overcome with fear that the man, Terence Crutcher, 40, who was not responding to her commands and was walking away from her with his hands up, was going to kill her.

An investigator with the Tulsa County district attorney’s office said in an affidavit that Officer Shelby became “emotionally involved to the point that she overreacted” and fired her weapon even though she “was not able to see any weapons or bulges indicating” that Mr. Crutcher had a gun.

Prosecutors have charged the officer with committing manslaughter “in the heat of passion.” Oklahoma law defines such passion as a strong emotion, such as fear or anger, that exists to such a degree in a defendant that it affects “the ability to reason and render the mind incapable of cool reflection.” Those found guilty of first-degree manslaughter face a sentence of no fewer than four years in prison.

Officer Shelby, a Tulsa police officer since 2011, has been on paid administrative leave.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I thought that was murder 2 though? How is that manslaughter?

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

I dont know much about the case but my guess is that her lawyers fought for manslaughter and had to argue that everything was done out of primal fear and not just straight up murder

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

You'd have to prove that she intentionally killed Terence Crutcher in order to charge her with second degree murder

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Because a cop did it.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Aiming a gun, disabling the safety, and pulling the trigger at a stationary target doesn't imply intent?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Aiming a gun, disabling the safety, and pulling the trigger at a stationary target doesn't imply intent?

You are not familiar with how cop murder cases have been going I see

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

A lot of people agree with you. To be fair though, if I was a cop and I murdered someone on tape, if my lawyers said the best we can do is manslaughter I'd take it over murder

quote:

Three Tulsa cosmetology students who stood holding signs said they wanted the officer to be charged not with manslaughter, but with murder.

“Manslaughter is when you get drunk and you hit someone with your car,” said Mia Hogsett, 27. “It’s not when you point your gun at someone and know that that trigger can kill a person. She was afraid, but she was trained. She was trained to be in that situation.”

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Oh, definitely. I'm not trying to be a dick, I just know I'm not a lawyer. I wonder if the judge gives the maximum for that?

What a poo poo sandwich

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It's probably also because the prosecution knows they probably can't convince a jury to convict a cop of Murder 2.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Certainly not in the worst state in the nation for right wing villainy.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
If they loving acquit her I swear to god...

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

sam bradford lmao posted:

If they loving acquit her I swear to god...

:lol: if you think any other outcome is actually possible.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Oh it'll happen. The defense will point to her clean record prior to this and all it takes is one dipshit juror to bring a jury to a deadlock.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
They found a way to make a teenager in a suburb look like a harden criminal to get Zimmerman free, this is child's play for any lawyer.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
If I murder my bitch wife and sancho in the heat of passion I'll get the death penalty, but if I put on a badge and gun down a fat black dude while two other officers and a loving helicopter have my back....

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Chichevache posted:

If I murder my bitch wife and sancho in the heat of passion I'll get the death penalty, but if I put on a badge and gun down a fat black dude while two other officers and a loving helicopter have my back....

Suddenly worried about your motivation to become a cop.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Skwirl posted:

why it fights right in with all the other LEOs motivation

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Skwirl posted:

You know the most worrying thing about applying? If I told them I wasn't comfortable taking a human life in defense of my own unless I knew without a doubt the person I shot was going to kill someone else, I'd be disqualified. :shepicide:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Chichevache posted:

You know the most worrying thing about applying? If I told them I wasn't comfortable taking a human life in defense of my own unless I knew without a doubt the person I shot was going to kill someone else, I'd be disqualified. :shepicide:

If you're hired I predict it will be a month before you start posting disturbing and racist memes in this thread.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

It's actually pretty surprising she was even charged with that, let alone this quickly. I guess that's some progress, although like others have said, I won't hold my breath for a conviction.

Also, a baseball guy (not Tebow) weighs in: http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/17615407/seattle-mariners-reviewing-all-options-catcher-steve-clevenger-tweets

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Blind Pineapple posted:

It's actually pretty surprising she was even charged with that, let alone this quickly. I guess that's some progress, although like others have said, I won't hold my breath for a conviction.

Also, a baseball guy (not Tebow) weighs in: http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/17615407/seattle-mariners-reviewing-all-options-catcher-steve-clevenger-tweets

Part of me wonders if they're gambling on this subduing or preventing more violent protests with the knowledge that no jury/court would actually convict the officer. Basically, make the officers rope-a-dope through their cases for 'optics'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Chichevache posted:

Phone posting so I won't get the article but a Marine turned cop was fired for not gunning down a guy he thought was an obvious 'suicide by cop'. His buddies showed up, did the deed and yeah the guy's gun wasn't loaded.

Nm here https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.886a20355287

Proud Christian Mom fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 23, 2016

• Locked thread