Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Here's an updated list of all goons who are participating in the operation, and their place within the command hierarchy.

In Klondike-Kagayan:
  • THESEUS - RADM Hurriness (UNS Mackinac)
    • THESEUS ACTUAL - RADM Hurriness (UNS Mackinac) - On K2-Sol Jump Gate
      • UNS Mackinac (Gibraltar-B) - RADM Hurriness
      • UNS Jutlant (Gibraltar-B) - CDRE Jaramr
      • UNS Fredrikshavn (Gibraltar-B) - CDRE Fell Fire
      • UNS Rhodes (Gibraltar-B) - CDRE Anta
      • UNS Malta (Gibraltar-B) - CDRE Cthulhu Dreams
      • UNS Gibraltar (Gibraltar-B) - CAPT Aethernet
      • UNS Delphi (Delphi II-L) - CMDR Krataar
    • THESEUS 2 - CAPT Cokerpilot (UNS Tartu) - 2m km in-system from K2-Sol Jump Gate
      • UNS Tartu (Cape Town-L) - CAPT Cokerpilot
      • UNS Los Angeles (Cape Town-L) - Capt. Sakanoue Junko (f. Added Space)
      • UNS Seville (Cape Town-L) - CAPT Hostergaard
      • UNS Kharkiv (Cape Town-L) - CAPT Vander
      • UNS Vancouver (Cape Town-L) - CAPT President of Tennis
      • UNS Sevastopol (Cape Town-L) - CAPT Mister Bates
      • UNS Boston (Cape Town-L) - CAPT Captain Foo
      • UNS Portsmouth (Cape Town-L) - CAPT serelon
      • UNS Dodona (Delphi II-L) - Cmdr. Joaquin Rifenbark (f. Gnooble)
    • THESEUS 3 - CMDR E_Motion (UNS Caloocan) - 240,000 km in-system from THESEUS ACTUAL, providing missile screen for monitors
      • UNS Caloocan (Surigao) - CMDR E_Motion
      • UNS Taguig (Surigao) - CMDR lizurcainnon
      • UNS Quirono (Surigao) - CMDR Lycaeon
      • UNS Benguet (Surigao) - CMD Baloogan
  • MEDEA - CAPT Raw_Beef (Order and Plenty) - 5m km in-system from the K2-Sol Jump Gate
    • Order and Plenty (Khopesh) - CAPT Raw_Beef
    • Ecuador (Ecuador) - Centurion
  • Battle Division 2 (Federation) - Kontr-admiral Rana Biswal (Bystry) - 2m km in-system from K2-Sol Jump Gate
    • Bystry (Skory 37) - Kontr-admiral Rana Biswal
    • Yang Liwei (Skory 37) - Kommodor Kerani Potluri
    • Yogah (Vishnu 37) - Kapitan Fabi Krylov
    • Durgah (Vishnu 37) - Kapitan Du Mei Jiao
    • Sarvah (Vishnu 37) - Kommander Mao Mei Hu
    • Harih (Vishnu 37) - Kommander Bha Shangwan
    • Bhaavo (Vishnu 37) - Kommander Sunan Sirikhanth

In Sol:
  • Sol-K2 Picket - CMDR Asehujiko (UNS Cebu) - On station at Sol-K2 Jump Gate providing overwatch
    • UNS Cebu (Samar IIb) - CMDR Asehujiko
    • UNS Panay (Samar IIb) - CMDR sebmojo
  • ATHENIAN - Capt. Nicholas Uitz (UNAS Praetor) - On Sol-K2 Jump Gate waiting to transit in and provide post-combat support
    • UNAS Praetor (Praetor) - Capt. Nicholas Uitz
      • 93rd Mobile Infantry Battalion - BGEN SundayThorn
      • 96th Mobile Infantry Battalion - COL Nick Woozinowski (Woozey)
      • 95th Mobile Infantry Batalion - Col. Maria Guerreiro
    • UNS Taranto (Samar IIb) - CMDR HerrMorden
    • UNAS Murchison (Lyell) - CMDR Covski
    • UNAS Buckland (Lyell) - CMDR Oblieterati
    • UNAS Sedgwick (Lyell) - CMDR Pash

bgreman fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Not going to lie: naming Beef's group "Medea" is just asking for trouble.

I mean, Beef has betrayed drat near everyone at this point. But still.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Dr. Snark posted:

Not going to lie: naming Beef's group "Medea" is just asking for trouble.

I mean, Beef has betrayed drat near everyone at this point. But still.

On the other hand, Belnar is clearly a robo-witch with powers of enchantment over other automatons, so...

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Commander, make full speed to JP1 and activate your active sensor to keep watch for any unauthorized transits.
The most fitting code name.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Saros posted:

Yeah, i'm not sure if Jimmy is still around but if so we really need a new academy or two, we are desperately short of officers.

Did somebody say....Infrastructure investments!!!

And yes I'm still here, I'm always watching from my beige throne made of GSA forms and RFPs packets.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

Saros posted:

Yeah, i'm not sure if Jimmy is still around but if so we really need a new academy or two, we are desperately short of officers.

How do we join? Disclaimer: I have no idea what's happening

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

tatankatonk posted:

How do we join? Disclaimer: I have no idea what's happening

Like this.

Hey BG can you put me on the waiting list for a naval officer?

Edit: Huh, seems that I already put my name in like forever ago. Still, the example stands.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Sep 23, 2016

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Hey BG could you put me on the waiting list as a naval officer? Thanks.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

It's probably good to get in now before the nice long list of potential casualties above starts to cycle through ;)

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Saros posted:

It's probably good to get in now before the nice long list of potential casualties above starts to cycle through ;)
That and me finally being in a place to know roughly what is going on currently encourages me to dive in and request to add me to the naval officers list.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

tatankatonk posted:

Same for me. This thing looks awesome.

And I can't wait to fill some dead goon's shoes.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
One day ATHENIAN will shine.

Another Otter
May 14, 2012
BG, can you throw my name into the hat as a Naval Officer?

This is getting intense, I hope I don't get called up too soon.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.
I have not done any creative writing in the character of Captain Beef in a long time and I just got home, its gonna take me a bit to work myself up to the task. Action stations, stand by for contact.

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Commander, make full speed to JP1 and activate your active sensor to keep watch for any unauthorized transits.
To: All Those Poor Dead Goons
Re: Beef

We're detecting increased brain activity from Raw_Beef, chances of imminent betrayal are estimated to have increased 10000%, ensure crews at full readiness.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.

Gnooble posted:

To: All Those Poor Dead Goons
Re: Beef

We're detecting increased brain activity from Raw_Beef, chances of imminent betrayal are estimated to have increased 10000%, ensure crews at full readiness.

Initiating Automatic Letter of Death Generator

Dear Sir/Madam (delete as necessary), we at the UNIN regret to inform you that due to the traitorous actions of [NAME EXPUNGED] during [CLASSIFIED OPERATION] your (insert status here), (insert name here) died. Rest assured that despite the actions of the traitor [NAME EXPUNGED] he/she was exemplary in his/her duties for the UN. (insert name here) was a shining star in the UNIN and will truly be missed.

Condolences,

UNIN

*This letter generated by the UNFI Letter of Death Generator for rapid death notifications. Have a nice day!

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Raw_Beef posted:

I have not done any creative writing in the character of Captain Beef in a long time and I just got home, its gonna take me a bit to work myself up to the task. Action stations, stand by for contact.

Thank god I didn't waste the approximately 14.3 billion Euro (in 2020 euro adjusted for inflation) on psychological studies of Cpt Raw Beef and Premier TilDeath. Men and women of the UNIN,

I can confidently say that we have no working psychological models of the captain after his subsumation but overridingly he cannot be trusted.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

tatankatonk posted:

frankenfreak posted:

That and me finally being in a place to know roughly what is going on currently encourages me to dive in and request to add me to the naval officers list.

Bacarruda posted:

Same for me. This thing looks awesome.

And I can't wait to fill some dead goon's shoes.

Another Otter posted:

BG, can you throw my name into the hat as a Naval Officer?

This is getting intense, I hope I don't get called up too soon.

Before I add anyone to the list, are there particular traits you want to hold out for? It's a quicker wait if you take the first generated officer, but you're more likely to get a crap command, compared to officers with high Crew Training Rating or a specialty skill.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
You forgot CMDR Sky Shadowing in K2, on board the 'millions of slides'.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
I'd prefer someone with a decent Crew Training Rating or an Operations Bonus, but I won't insist on anything.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Sky Shadowing posted:

You forgot CMDR Sky Shadowing in K2, on board the 'millions of slides'.

Well if it turns out you've been converted into a robot or something we'll welcome you back with open arms! After quarantine, analysis, dissection, psych testing...

Okay, "open arms" might have been a bit too generous in this case.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

I don't need to hold out for any traits, no.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I'm on the edge of my space-seat! Good luck beef!

Another Otter
May 14, 2012
Could I be reserved for a naval officer with a crew training bonus if at all possible?

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Heh. Looks like it's getting interesting. Glad I'm nowhere near this one.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Uh, just curious, what happened to all the pictures?

I just started reading this and it seemed a bit weird since it seemed there would be something there.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Koorisch posted:

Uh, just curious, what happened to all the pictures?

I just started reading this and it seemed a bit weird since it seemed there would be something there.

Pictures? HA! We haven't had PICTURES here since 1982! Seriously, though, it's all about imagination plus the fact that really who wants pictures anyways - once you've seen what looks like a radar screen from Wargames you've pretty much seen all the graphics the game has to offer. The only images that really show up are informational in nature - spreadsheets and the odd tactical/strategic view of ship positioning when it's relevant (though if you're starting from the beginning you may well run across some of the universe building things that Jimmy did a while ago that feature various art).

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 4, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
which pictures are you referring to?

I thought we might have a hosting problem after however many years around or whatever but I randomly went back to page 20 and everything seems to be working fine.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Yes, the game does literally look like a series of lines and dots. You're not missing anything.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Well except the screenshots often contain valuable information that BG doesn't spell out in the text.

But anyway, I can see the images just fine. Perhaps is was just a temporary problem?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
I assumed he'd got confused that the pictures didn't contain anything as compellingly glorious as our accompanying narrative and thought that he was missing something.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

True wonder is to be found in spreadsheets!

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

markus_cz posted:

Well except the screenshots often contain valuable information that BG doesn't spell out in the text.

But anyway, I can see the images just fine. Perhaps is was just a temporary problem?

Yeah, it's showing now, apparently it was just temporary.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

UNS Mackinac: K2-Sol Jump Gate, 27th September 2037, 17:41 UNT

Fourteen minutes after Order and Plenty originally detected MINOTAUR's active sensor emissions, the fleet scout UNS Delphi sends a message to Mackinac, indicating that the powerful "Providence" active search sensor has detected and locked on to the hostile formation. The automaton ships have not deviated from their course, heading directly for THESEUS.

While the Gibraltar-class monitors have a weapon director capable of controlling missiles out to nearly 85m kilometers, the max range of their heavy SSM-13A "Harrier" missiles is only 21.7m kilometers. The fire controls on the UN's Cape Town-L-class destroyers are matched more closely to the 21.8m kilometer range of their SSM-11B "Eagle-B" anti-ship missiles. MEDEA is heading for an intercept with MINOTAUR at 20 million kilometers from the K2-Sol jump gate, enabling UN ships to open fire immediately if something goes wrong.

MINOTAUR is still about two hours away from the intercept.

Forty-eight minutes later, MEDEA reports that their passive sensors have detected the strength-1250 thermal emissions of the approaching Hoplites. MINOTAUR is just over 41m kilometers away from MEDEA at this point. Intercept will be in about 72 minutes.

UNS Mackinac: K2-Sol Jump Gate, 27th September 2037, 19:22 UNT

"Sir, MEDEA is in place," reports UNS Mackinac's communications technician. "Intercept in nineteen minutes."

"Very good, Ms. Ruiz," replies RADM Huriness, watching the time tick down on his sensor display. He opens a command channel to the rest of the ships of THESEUS.

"All elements of THESEUS ACTUAL and THESEUS TWO are to make ready weapons and prepare firing solutions. Even coverage across all four targets, pattern beta. Wait to fire for my command." A chorus of acknowledgements answers him and he cuts the channel, returning his attention to the sensor display.

Thread Updates
I intended to run this longer, but I had to restart the update twice due to messing up the plan, and may have to restart it again to properly handle the Hoplite behavior.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 17, 2016

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yesssssssssss

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

So what's actually the fire plan? Each full salvo from the fleet may be enough to cripple one of the Hoplites because the heavies have 3 levels of armor penetration and there are loads of them. Fire one salvo at each target then wait for impact (assuming that we actually have to shoot them at all.) The current writeup looks like its splitting fire evenly which means shots may be wasted if we have missiles in-flight and one ship is knocked out.

Saros fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 16, 2016

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Saros posted:

So what's actually the fire plan?

If Gnooble wants to clarify, that's fine. The plan as I envisioned it was to generally divide the four hostiles evenly among all firing ships, firing one salvo. That'd be one Gibraltar and two Cape Towns per target, with the other two monitors either holding fire or doubling fire on two targets.

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

I would probably divide the fleet in half - 3 Gibs + 4 Capes per target, fire a single salvo, switch to the untargeted ships, and fire a salvo. So everyone gets blasted by half the fleet once. With the extra Fed fire that should be more than enough. If anything lives, fire additional Gibs as necessary.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Gnooble posted:

that should be more than enough. If anything lives, fire additional Gibs as necessary.

And lo, did the thread learn a harsh lesson from the RNG that day...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

I'm running into more issues than I expected with the Hoplite behavior, so I may need another plan of attack for that. I'll try not to prolong the suspense too long.

• Locked thread