Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
Salt and Sanctuary also takes a cue from Dark Souls in that once you're 2/3 of the way through the game, the rest is a horrible loving slog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

I gotta agree with KingSlime to some extent. I have had quite a bit of fun with DS3, but SotFS PvP is a lot better. More build diversity, harder to simply roll away and heal, stuff like that made help to make it really fun experience compared to what we got with DS3. DS3 should've built more on DS2 in my opinion. Sure it is weird to go back to, with its strange mix of fast and slow animations/movement speed, but it feels good in a way a lot of 3 does not. I'd also say that pve coop was a lot better in DS2, as were the blue sentinels. Even weapon arts don't all feel super fleshed out and, with the need to use two hands or specific shields to use them, a lot seem pretty limited in their use. Leaving aside everything else, I'd play DS2 multiplayer over DS3 almost any time. I think that DS3 may have, overall, some better bosses, but even then I just enjoyed most of the aspects of SotFS more, even if I didn't always like power stancing, parrying, and the rapiers getting a parry for their R2.

I love the series, still, and am hoping the DLC will be solid, but DS3 wasn't the best way to end it. Thankfully, Bloodborne is on point and probably the best of the bunch!

Platypus Farm posted:

Salt and Sanctuary also takes a cue from Dark Souls in that once you're 2/3 of the way through the game, the rest is a horrible loving slog

I've always found that the last bits of the Souls games to wrap up quickly, unless you're talking DS2 with all of the DLC in place, though I generally enjoyed those areas.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Dark Souls 2 is so well-optimized that in my experience it runs significantly better than 1 at maximum settings across the board than 1 does even with its fixes.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Manatee Cannon posted:

you want dsfix and the only reason not to run at 60 is that it messes with some physics stuff. some jumps are basically impossible at 60

ds2 had a really really good pc port, you don't need anything to run it

With DS1, I'm trying an idea where you Unlock FPS but set the cap to 30. That should be fine, yeah?

Also, with DSFix, do I set the internal rendering res lower than the display? Or... I just don't get that part.

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Dark Souls 2 is so well-optimized that in my experience it runs significantly better than 1 at maximum settings across the board than 1 does even with its fixes.

I kind of want to double down now. As in, have both a DS1 playthrough and a DS2 playthrough. But like... that might be a bit much? Idk.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

widespread posted:

I kind of want to double down now. As in, have both a DS1 playthrough and a DS2 playthrough. But like... that might be a bit much? Idk.

do it doit doitdoitdoitdoit

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Fire Barrel posted:

I gotta agree with KingSlime to some extent. I have had quite a bit of fun with DS3, but SotFS PvP is a lot better. More build diversity, harder to simply roll away and heal, stuff like that made help to make it really fun experience compared to what we got with DS3. DS3 should've built more on DS2 in my opinion. Sure it is weird to go back to, with its strange mix of fast and slow animations/movement speed, but it feels good in a way a lot of 3 does not. I'd also say that pve coop was a lot better in DS2, as were the blue sentinels. Even weapon arts don't all feel super fleshed out and, with the need to use two hands or specific shields to use them, a lot seem pretty limited in their use. Leaving aside everything else, I'd play DS2 multiplayer over DS3 almost any time. I think that DS3 may have, overall, some better bosses, but even then I just enjoyed most of the aspects of SotFS more, even if I didn't always like power stancing, parrying, and the rapiers getting a parry for their R2.

I love the series, still, and am hoping the DLC will be solid, but DS3 wasn't the best way to end it. Thankfully, Bloodborne is on point and probably the best of the bunch!

I've always found that the last bits of the Souls games to wrap up quickly, unless you're talking DS2 with all of the DLC in place, though I generally enjoyed those areas.

No, I mean like post-lordvessel DS1, the last third of DS2. The areas where it's really obvious they realized they were out of time, and just pushed the areas out to get the game done.

But yeah bloodborne is definitely the best, and the dlc is wonderful so I can probably just keep playing that forever if I'm being honest.

edit: nah, Demon's Souls is also great right through to the end. I really hope they're doing some kind of re-release of it. I don't need any new systems, I don't need anything. I just want to play it without having to plug in the ps3

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Mighty Dicktron posted:

i'm kind of annoyed because the one souls game i don't want to play anymore is 2 but it's the only one of the three that's actually optimized worth a poo poo

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
One great thing i miss about dark souls 2 is it had a lot of great levels for greatbow invasions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rgFnuRXYq0
Dark souls 3 has the tomb and anor londo i guess. Most of the levels are too corridory and not enough bottomless pits to push people into.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Mighty Dicktron posted:

This also keeps me going back to it. The areas that are nice look so god drat gorgeous and my rig maxes it out across the board. It never feels not fluid, even though it plays slower than DS3. It just runs well

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Mighty Dicktron posted:

dark souls 1 is so poorly optimized that that comparison isn't fair to how well dark souls 2 runs on pc

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

widespread posted:

Playing both at the same time is probably a bad idea but there's nothing wrong with beating DS1 and then moving onto DS2. I'd recommend it.

Also isn't there some global restart day coming up next month for DS1? Lots of people start playing the game again when one of those events is organized, so if you want to try out the online stuff you could play DS1 during that.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Playing both at the same time is probably a bad idea but there's nothing wrong with beating DS1 and then moving onto DS2. I'd recommend it.

Also isn't there some global restart day coming up next month for DS1? Lots of people start playing the game again when one of those events is organized, so if you want to try out the online stuff you could play DS1 during that.

Wait what. That sounds stupidly convenient. Unfortunately, the Xbox 360 controller I was using on PC was sorta... being agitating. Like, every so often, it won't register a run, and then sometimes the camera would point directly down at my character and their feet. Before I trust a reddit post, what do to get the DS4 I have working with the DS1 and DS2.

Manatee Cannon posted:

dark souls 1 is so poorly optimized that that comparison isn't fair to how well dark souls 2 runs on pc

It really is, as I found out. DS1 needed the fix to hit 30, can't go above 30 without wonking poo poo up. DS2 hits 60 out of the box, no physics issues.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

widespread posted:

Wait what. That sounds stupidly convenient. Unfortunately, the Xbox 360 controller I was using on PC was sorta... being agitating. Like, every so often, it won't register a run, and then sometimes the camera would point directly down at my character and their feet. Before I trust a reddit post, what do to get the DS4 I have working with the DS1 and DS2.

Download DS4windows

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

widespread posted:

It really is, as I found out. DS1 needed the fix to hit 30, can't go above 30 without wonking poo poo up. DS2 hits 60 out of the box, no physics issues.

Yeah it's a good PC port, DS2 feels great. That's why I think I enjoy it more than the other two games sometimes.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Digirat posted:

Download DS4windows
I have recently gotten a PS4 controller, and it works quite well! Don't be discouraged if you have to fiddle with some settings first, though; DS3 at the very least had issues for me until I realized my computer had somehow managed to install the controller like three times (had to manually delete them in the Windows device manager), and THEN you have to check the "hide DS4 controller" box before starting the game. But after I got around that, it's just fine :). I was very pleasantly surprised when I realized that the DS4 is wireless over bluetooth (so connects easy-peasy to most modern systems) and can be charged with a normal micro USB phone cable, NOT requiring you to get a super special 20 bux charger extra (like the 3DS does...).

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Simply Simon posted:

I have recently gotten a PS4 controller, and it works quite well! Don't be discouraged if you have to fiddle with some settings first, though; DS3 at the very least had issues for me until I realized my computer had somehow managed to install the controller like three times (had to manually delete them in the Windows device manager), and THEN you have to check the "hide DS4 controller" box before starting the game. But after I got around that, it's just fine :). I was very pleasantly surprised when I realized that the DS4 is wireless over bluetooth (so connects easy-peasy to most modern systems) and can be charged with a normal micro USB phone cable, NOT requiring you to get a super special 20 bux charger extra (like the 3DS does...).

I actually had to close Steam before doing the Hide DS4 stuff. But other than that, yeah, got it going.

That said, I'm back in the DS spirit. DEATH AND I'M DYING AND OH MY GOD THAT DEMON I THOUGHT I COULD CHEESE WITH JUMPING BUT ACK.

Can still riposte decently on the Burg's dudes however. :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I love those limitbreaker videos and how he gets increasingly confused how any of DS3 actually works. Blocking lava damage with your shield? Sure, why not?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

RBA Starblade posted:

I love those limitbreaker videos and how he gets increasingly confused how any of DS3 actually works. Blocking lava damage with your shield? Sure, why not?

Makes perfect sense. They just forgot to patch in the animation where you skate around on your shield like Legolas

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Did they ever figure out a way to actually break your armour?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Does equipment auto-repair at a bonfire if the equipment is on the ground at the time? Like, take off your clothes and drop them before you bonfire heal, then grab them, put them back on, and then continue getting damaged until you need to repeat?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Internet Kraken posted:

Did they ever figure out a way to actually break your armour?

Let crabs murder you for four hours, apparently.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Crabs are legit tricky.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Lotish posted:

Does equipment auto-repair at a bonfire if the equipment is on the ground at the time? Like, take off your clothes and drop them before you bonfire heal, then grab them, put them back on, and then continue getting damaged until you need to repeat?

Items on the ground would just disappear wouldn't they?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I realised one advantage to pure faith build. You dont need normal estuses anymore since you can just use miracles. Of course miracles are a lot harder to cast in the middle of a fight. But as far as healing itself goes its a lot more estus effective way of healing. Basically im not running out of ashen estuses ever anymore. Though im also dying a lot more too because healing is hard. :smith:

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

On my caster run I used the offhand ability Gentle Prayer and just got really good at dodge rolling to keep myself alive.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Miyazaki saying he was looking for a balance between DS1 and 2 when it came to equipment durability is one of the funniest things about DS3, given what the actual result was.

Iretep posted:

I realised one advantage to pure faith build. You dont need normal estuses anymore since you can just use miracles. Of course miracles are a lot harder to cast in the middle of a fight. But as far as healing itself goes its a lot more estus effective way of healing. Basically im not running out of ashen estuses ever anymore. Though im also dying a lot more too because healing is hard. :smith:

You could just carry like 2 regular estus for emergencies and ashen for out of battle healing.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Internet Kraken posted:

Miyazaki saying he was looking for a balance between DS1 and 2 when it came to equipment durability is one of the funniest things about DS3, given what the actual result was.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was the goal, but playtesting resulted in them shifting some global modifier for durability. Some weapons still degrade fairly fast, but that's relative to the speed of other weapons-- so never enough to actually matter.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Platypus Farm posted:

No, I mean like post-lordvessel DS1, the last third of DS2. The areas where it's really obvious they realized they were out of time, and just pushed the areas out to get the game done.

But yeah bloodborne is definitely the best, and the dlc is wonderful so I can probably just keep playing that forever if I'm being honest.

edit: nah, Demon's Souls is also great right through to the end. I really hope they're doing some kind of re-release of it. I don't need any new systems, I don't need anything. I just want to play it without having to plug in the ps3

I guess I can kind of see that, though I still enjoyed that stuff. I do agree with you about Demon's Souls being really good in terms of levels and pacing throughout. Even if it hasn't aged super gracefully.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

He did exactly what he said he would. Dark souls 3 has the massive half-a-playthrough durability numbers from 1 and the durability replenishing at bonfires from 2 :haw:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they should have compromised by removing durability entirely

dear miyazaki: next time someone writes the word "durability" on a design doc, throw it into the fire

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Manatee Cannon posted:

they should have compromised by removing durability entirely

dear miyazaki: next time someone writes the word "durability" on a design doc, throw it into the fire

Unless it's for a remake of Marathon Infinity.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Paracelsus posted:

I'm the biggest goddamn Marathon fan on this forum and this is such a deep cut that I don't get it. :confused:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

DS3 was a good game and I will play all the DLCs too and I don't really give a poo poo about retreaded lore or whatever it is people are getting upset about.

But Bloodborne is better though. Bloodborne owns really hard.

Thanks for reading this post that is basically me catching up on like five pages. Your time is appreciated. Maybe.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
PVE in this game is fine. I think most are just upset the PVP aspect took a few steps backwards compared to 2.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Having never played Ds1, DS3 is great and the story is great and the setting is great.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

RyokoTK posted:

I'm the biggest goddamn Marathon fan on this forum and this is such a deep cut that I don't get it. :confused:

One of the terminal plotlines (the one about the knife) has a bunch of characters saying "durability."

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I could not care less about the plot to the souls games (bloodborne is the only one where I had any interest at all), but dark souls 3 just doesn't do anything to change up the formula and comes off the back of 2 other games in as many years

2014 was ds2
2015 was bloodborne and sotfs
2016 is ds3

it was too much too fast, especially when they went back to the well after releasing a much more interesting and fresh take on the souls formula in bloodborne. if this was the exact same game but released a year later, I'd probably have played it more between release and the dlc. but that's not what happened and I got burnt out pretty fast, making this my least played souls game by a mile

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Paracelsus posted:

I thought this was funny

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Paracelsus posted:

One of the terminal plotlines (the one about the knife) has a bunch of characters saying "durability."

Oh, yeah. So it really was a deep cut :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I honestly thought he just misread the post and thought it said Durandal instead which would make more sense with that statement.

We should have had a talking AI sword in Dark Souls.