Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

For those curious about saving RAW+JPEG on split cards on Fuji X-Trans III cameras, the compressed RAWs end up about twice the size of a JPEG. So if you want to optimize your storage as much as possible, the JPEG card can be approximately half the capacity of your RAW card and you won't really be limited by it.

Or just buy a pair of 64GB cards since they're cheap, whatever. I thought someone might like to know. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

whatever7 posted:

Why don't you get the X70 and shot with the flip screen?

I want the new sensor and as many dials and knobs as I can get my grubby little mitts on.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

For those curious about saving RAW+JPEG on split cards on Fuji X-Trans III cameras, the compressed RAWs end up about twice the size of a JPEG. So if you want to optimize your storage as much as possible, the JPEG card can be approximately half the capacity of your RAW card and you won't really be limited by it.

Or just buy a pair of 64GB cards since they're cheap, whatever. I thought someone might like to know. :shobon:

Yeah, I did one wedding with uncompressed RAWs and switched because drat.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgWoz-e8oZk

Ok I have GAS again.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

I hate this smarmy DigitalRev guy, but yep, that sure looks like one hell of a camera. On the other hand, those are some huge-rear end lenses... I really appreciate being able to head out with a kit ranging from 24 to 200mm (equivalent) at f2.8 including a bunch of primes, that's why I don't really want to ditch m4/3.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wengy posted:

I hate this smarmy DigitalRev guy, but yep, that sure looks like one hell of a camera. On the other hand, those are some huge-rear end lenses... I really appreciate being able to head out with a kit ranging from 24 to 200mm (equivalent) at f2.8 including a bunch of primes, that's why I don't really want to ditch m4/3.

He has the smuggest facial feature and douchiest British accent.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah that guy looks and sounds like he's made of 95% smug

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Which is exactly what makes his reviews the most entertaining around.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
Just a fun little FYI: I got a replacement XT-2, and the screen temperature is noticeably better/more accurate. I am happy that I am not crazy. It doesn't seem like having a yellow screen is a common problem, but if your screen IS very warm it's probably just your specific camera so hey maybe get it replaced!

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Kai is cool and has good taste in cameras

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I liked kai until he poo poo on m4/3.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I liked kai until he poo poo on m4/3.

yeah, making GBS threads on m4/3 is the job of other camera companies

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

my...my gear. My Camera Gear..

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I thought mft was Cool and Good?

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
it is but the dollar to sensor ratio is poor

fartmanteau
Mar 15, 2007

I like Digitalrev and love my m4/3 gear. I also find Top Gear entertaining in general, even though I am a cyclist.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I didn't know I had a second "fugue state" account, but I'm glad to find it. Also I chose a good username, "fartmanteau."

E:VVV That's why I initially jumped on it. Got a G5 and a crazy zoom lens for $140, sold the zoom lens for $insane and bought another zoom lens and two primes. That's an extremely low barrier to entry.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Sep 23, 2016

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MeruFM posted:

it is but the dollar to sensor ratio is poor
It's actually excellent if you stick to previous gen bodies. Since there's so few moving parts, they tend to get discounted insanely.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Some more interesting photokina news:

Xiaoyi M1: micro four thirds camera with a 20mp sony sensor for $330 bundled with a 12-40 f3.5-5.6

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

SMERSH Mouth posted:

my...my gear. My Camera Gear..

Urge... to defend... MFT... with... huge-rear end... nerdy... post... on Dpreview... featuring... graphs... and... the... term... "equivalence"... rising...

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Also the thing that owns endlessly about MFT is the size-to-quality ratio. If you're really into it it's not cheaper at all than a FF kit.

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf
Just saw at Fuji Rumors the X100T is supposedly discontinued. Gimme dat X100F.

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

I managed to snag a Lumix GH3 on eBay for a price I'm happy with, it's a little scratched up but ostensibly in perfect working order. It came with the Lumix G Vario 14-42 kit lens which seems to be half decent, but aside from extra memory and power the first thing I'll probably look into is a new lens. Shopping on B&H I'm seeing a lot of brands I'm not at all familiar with - in the past I've shopped for Canon EF lenses and become familiar with Canon, Sigma, Tamron, and maybe one or two others and where they rank, but looking at MFT lenses I see the first parties like Olympus and Panasonic but beyond those I'm seeing Rokinon, Samyang, and a couple others I've not heard of before. Are there any brands to look for or avoid, or should I even bother looking at third party options with so much available from Olympus and Panasonic?

I'd like a decent indoor shooting lens, so probably something on the wide side of standard (for me this means a prime lens in the 20mm to maybe as high as 50mm zone but I'm far from an expert and would love recommendations) and with as big an aperture and objective lens as I can get without getting into crazy money (the price difference between f1.4 and f1.2 was quite a gap to bridge when I was shopping for Canon lenses). Are there any best buys to look at in the $250-500 range that might fit the bill?

Bizzaro Quik
Dec 1, 2004
Japan rules, right?
20mm 1.7 and 25mm 1.4 are both stellar lenses for the cash. 42.5mm 1.7 is also a great second lens, but I would opt for the 20mm before either of the other 2.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

I came *this* close to buying the Panaleica 15mm f1.7 a while ago, that might be a decent starting point?

EDIT: Olympus 17mm f1.8 can be had for cheap used and seems to be totally worth it, but there's some people who really hate it for some reaso so YMMV.

Wengy fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 23, 2016

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
If you want a tiny lens, the Panasonic 14mm is great and cheap. I prefer the focal length to the 20mm and the auto focus is much faster.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

If you don't get the 1.4 25, the 1.7 or 1.8 can be had for cheap and you could possibly get lucky finding one of the many .95s

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
All my m43 up till now are Olympus or adapted weirdo things I got off ebay or whatever. I was thinking of getting something with more range and looking at like the Panasonic 100-300 or the Olympus 75-300.

Since I have an OM-D EM10 with 3 axis stabilization is the OIS much better to warrant the higher price on the Panasonic?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

The Fuji 23mm 1.4 I ordered came yesterday - man, it is crazy good. It is so sharp and contrasty. The only two things I did not expect that I am not a fan of are 1) the noisy autofocus which is very noticeable as it hunts around to prefocus and 2) the manual focus push pull ring. I would greatly prefer a simple switch for af/mf - it makes using dmf after autofocus clunky and it messes up using back button focusing in mf mode among other things. Maybe on other bodies it works better but I find it to be a pain to deal with on the X-T1. The lens is just so drat good though that I can easily overlook that.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

rio posted:

The Fuji 23mm 1.4 I ordered came yesterday - man, it is crazy good. It is so sharp and contrasty. The only two things I did not expect that I am not a fan of are 1) the noisy autofocus which is very noticeable as it hunts around to prefocus and 2) the manual focus push pull ring. I would greatly prefer a simple switch for af/mf - it makes using dmf after autofocus clunky and it messes up using back button focusing in mf mode among other things. Maybe on other bodies it works better but I find it to be a pain to deal with on the X-T1. The lens is just so drat good though that I can easily overlook that.

All of Fuji's best primes have that clutch.

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

Bizzaro Quik posted:

20mm 1.7 and 25mm 1.4 are both stellar lenses for the cash.

The more I research uses and effects of wider angle lenses I lean more towards the 25mm 1.4 since I can think of several applications where I'd like to minimize distortion, especially of people or detailed mechanical parts. How is that lens as far as focusing speed and noise? That was one big plus I saw noted for the Panasonic 14mm that Xabi mentioned that drew me to it even though it's a little wider and didn't have the aperture I was looking for.

Mr. Wookums posted:

If you don't get the 1.4 25, the 1.7 or 1.8 can be had for cheap and you could possibly get lucky finding one of the many .95s

Are these the 1.7 and 1.8 you're talking about? The Olympus is very tempting, especially with its larger aperture range than the Panasonic 1.4 - any idea how it fares for focusing speed/noise?

Pimp Drakula fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 23, 2016

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

bobfather posted:

All of Fuji's best primes have that clutch.

Incorrect the 56mm and 90mm do not have them and any list of best without them is incomplete.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Pimp Drakula posted:

The more I research uses and effects of wider angle lenses I lean more towards the 25mm 1.4 since I can think of several applications where I'd like to minimize distortion, especially of people or detailed mechanical parts. How is that lens as far as focusing speed and noise? That was one big plus I saw noted for the Panasonic 14mm that Xabi mentioned that drew me to it even though it's a little wider and didn't have the aperture I was looking for.

I think you should play with your 14-42 and decide what focal length works for you with your regular shooting.

There's a big difference between 14mm and 25mm and which works for you is down to what you shoot and how. For example, I use my 14mm if I am shooting inside and my 20mm outside simply because I need the wide FOV indoors, but prefer the look of 20mm if it is possible.

Sigma make some good lenses at reasonable prices - the 30mm is well regarded

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Pimp Drakula posted:

Are these the 1.7 and 1.8 you're talking about? The Olympus is very tempting, especially with its larger aperture range than the Panasonic 1.4 - any idea how it fares for focusing speed/noise?
I do not consider mine loud or slow, but I also have not used the 1.4 or 1.7

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

8th-snype posted:

Incorrect the 56mm and 90mm do not have them and any list of best without them is incomplete.

It make sense for wide angle pro lens have the clutch and the manual focus scale. You can zone focus from the hip.

Clutch switch also let you use it when you eye is on the EVF.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

My x-t1 has a switch I can find just fine when I have the camera up to my eye. I wouldn't mind the clutch so much if it didn't actually make being in manual focus worse - losing back button focus in mf mode really sucks, and switching the clutch forward to back button focus and then back to mf is really clunky and takes too much time. I like the focus scale though.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
So something just occurred to me when thinking about the Fuji GFX system.

If you were to mount a 'full-frame' lens onto it, you'd lose your corners because the image circle isn't big enough. But you'd actually gain height. Which means that you might actually end up with more usable data if your goal is to shoot something less wide than a 35mm sensor's 2:3 ratio.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

thetzar posted:

If you were to mount a 'full-frame' lens onto it, you'd lose your corners because the image circle isn't big enough. But you'd actually gain height. Which means that you might actually end up with more usable data if your goal is to shoot something less wide than a 35mm sensor's 2:3 ratio.

Sounds like it might be cheaper to just get a wider FF lens.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

thetzar posted:

If you mount a FF telephoto lens, the covered image circle is probably larger than FF anyway. Plus it's pretty easy to fix vignette in post. I used a m43 fisheye lens on a Nex body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

whatever7 posted:

It make sense for wide angle pro lens have the clutch and the manual focus scale. You can zone focus from the hip.

Clutch switch also let you use it when you eye is on the EVF.

I know, I was just saying that not all of their best lenses have clutches.