Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Kai Tave posted:

You should always be communicating with your team who you're going to boost and when, but this goes doubly so when it's a Reinhardt whose primary responsibility is shielding his team from harm. A Rein who drops their shield at the wrong time can wind up facilitating a teamwipe, and so being nanoboosted at a bad moment means either wasting Ana's ult or scrambling to make use of it at the risk of getting his team killed in response.

Absolutely you need to coordinate. It seems he meant farther in advance. But like a few seconds isn't really a big deal as rein. If you start glowing start killing things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Romulux
Mar 17, 2004

E V O L V E D

cosmicjim posted:

Absolutely you need to coordinate. It seems he meant farther in advance. But like a few seconds isn't really a big deal as rein. If you start glowing start killing things.

It's not so simple. A few seconds is a big deal.

I want to do this: https://giant.gfycat.com/AdmirableFineBlobfish.webm

Not this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMUc7wndUSg&t=322s

Romulux fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 23, 2016

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The simplest way to look at it is that if you're going to be using the Ana + Rein strat then Rein should be the one to call for the boost, not the other way around.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Also Ana players, for the love of fuckin god after you nanoboost someone keep healing them, don't just dump them in the middle of a 1v6 and think "ah they'll be fine," they're going to take a lot of damage over the next six seconds.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Kenshin posted:

For those trying to rise in rank in comp, I very strongly suggest that you play 1-2 games of QP before you start playing comp any given evening, both to warm up and make sure you feel like you're playing at 100% that evening. Take a good self-evaluation: are you on your game? Are you playing well? Or are you missing shots you feel like you'd normally be hitting and getting overaggressive?

You'll do a lot better (and get less frustrated) if you aren't losing rank because you're off your game for whatever reason. You'll also lose fewer points when you lose if you're performing well.

This is a good suggestion, especially if you're trying to familiarize yourself with a new character. My sessions tend to be streaks in either direction and playing for strictly practice helps keep my head clear.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I don't find QP to be a good warmup for comp at all. A game with like Ana, 4 DPS, and DVa doesn't really do anything to let me know whether I'm on my game and if anything is probably just reinforcing my bad habits.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
It's kind of funny how you don't lose your emblem when your rank drops. Having a Plat rank emblem guy in your silver rank guy is probably upsetting.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Just dick around in the training map

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

any warmup is better than no warmup

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

warm up to the healthy temperature of "oh we got one of those Meis on our team" in QP before engaging in comp activity :v:

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

any warmup is better than no warmup

I just do aim practice for 10-20 minutes and then go straight to comp. QP is for post-comp cooldown.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
If you don't use the Ana ult within 30~ sec of acquiring it you've wasted it so I guess always be ready to get boosted.

Romulux
Mar 17, 2004

E V O L V E D

mcvey posted:

If you don't use the Ana ult within 30~ sec of acquiring it you've wasted it so I guess always be ready to get boosted.
Ana's ult is also wasted if it causes your own team to wipe because you surprise ulted a Rein that wasn't ready for it. I don't know what's hard to understand about me saying "it scares the poo poo out of me". It can cause bad things to happen if it's not communicated at all and I'm in a bad position to drop my shield, but I do it anyway because you don't want your ult "wasted".

You may consider reading my post where I explain why it's not really possible to "always be ready to be boosted". It just doesn't work like that. Are we playing the same game?

This is why communication is so important in this game. Ana players need to know that suprise ults are usually not the best course of action.

Edit: poo poo, I can even reference the Rein plays above. Notice how the Ana ults the Rein as he's lined up and charging. That's a perfectly timed ult. The other play wasn't called, and you can see that it's poorly timed.

Edit 2: Can I mention that timing ults isn't all about how many you can pop off in a match? If you're charging your ult that fast as Ana and feel that it's a waste to hold it for a perfect time then use it on someone who's in a good position to use it effectively. And still communicate it. I don't think it's ridiculous for someone trying to actually be good at Ana to ask "who wants to be charged?" or "if you want to be charged let me know" and make a set priority for your ults before a match. I hope you understand what I mean cause it's literally like giving me a random shot of adrenaline and it can stress me out when it keeps happening.

Romulux fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 23, 2016

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I mean it's always perfectly acceptable to nanoboost one of your DPS even if they don't have their ult ready if you're worried about "wasting" it by sitting on it for too long, a nanoboosted Reaper can get some work done, but when you're about to switch your frontline tank from "defense" to "murder everything" mode you want to make sure they're in position to actually capitalize on it. I just got through with a game where a nanoboosted Rein kept charging in solo to the point and yeah he might get a kill or two but then he got pasted and the rest of his team had no one to shield them and they wound up being ground down, then we'd simply reset and that was that.

If you just want to surprise nanoboost people and see how they react quickplay is a great place for that.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

reaper's the only dps character that can kind of take advantage of nanoboost without ult tbh. I still wouldn't unless your team doesn't have a rein/winston tho

pharah is a massive target, mccree is slow, soldier is weak, tracer will still die in 2 hits, and why would you ever boost a genji without dragonblade

Romulux
Mar 17, 2004

E V O L V E D

Manatee Cannon posted:

reaper's the only dps character that can kind of take advantage of nanoboost without ult tbh. I still wouldn't unless your team doesn't have a rein/winston tho

pharah is a massive target, mccree is slow, soldier is weak, tracer will still die in 2 hits, and why would you ever boost a genji without dragonblade

If you have a Rein on your team and they're not ready I'd just ult any DPS that isn't a flanker and can be behind the shield when it's full and/or not being totally ripped through. McCree, Soldier, Junkrat, Bastion, etc..

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

what is a nanoboosted junkrat even gonna do. I've seen it before and they just walk up to the other team and die. do what you want but most heroes are pretty bad nanoboost targets

there isn't any "not ready" for rein, either he's there and alive or he's dead and you can't boost him

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Has anyone else encountered the glitch where you're quite clearly on the point but the overtime just ends with a full meter anyway?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Verranicus posted:

Has anyone else encountered the glitch where you're quite clearly on the point but the overtime just ends with a full meter anyway?

Is it related to the silent invisible reaper for some but not all players glitch

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

FAUXTON posted:

Is it related to the silent invisible reaper for some but not all players glitch

Don't think so. At least three of our team were alive and well on point A of Kings Row in overtime, the overtime bar full, when suddenly the match just ended and we got a draw instead of a win.

Romulux
Mar 17, 2004

E V O L V E D

Manatee Cannon posted:

there isn't any "not ready" for rein

There is. I've said exactly what instances I would and wouldn't want to be boosted in. If you boost me while I need to shield you're wasting your ult. I don't feel like explaining my same point over and over, you can read my posts again if you'd like or just settle with the fact that you're wrong. Being boosted randomly as rein is stressful and not at all ideal.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Speaking as someone who sucks at Rein but loves playing with a good Rein, nothing throws me on tilt more than the Rein spontaneously deciding that the shield is gonna come down so he can be a multikill superstar without informing us whereupon I instantly die to a loving Hanzo arrow or something. I distinctly remember playing a game with a Rein/Ana duoqueue and when we rolled on up to the chokepoint on Hollywood A I expected that we were going to try and do some shooting behind the 2000 hitpoint protective barrier but nope, shield is up only long enough for the Rein to protect himself and then down it goes, then down the rest of us go. gently caress your nanoboost, keep the goddamn shield up.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
The number of times I've been bouncing around on Lucio and copped a surprise Ana alt in the backside... it's always like "Welp, better jump in and get one, maybe two boops while I'm a bit harder to kill, cos I certainly ain't doing mass damage."

Romulux
Mar 17, 2004

E V O L V E D
Alright, with all that being said, if you understand me and want to play with a decent Rein that sometimes gets team kills when he's positioned and boosted properly, and loves stacking ults, add me. ;) Romulux#1121

I'm jumping on discord now.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Manatee Cannon posted:

McCree isn't slow when he's got the speed boost from nano boost. Nano boosted McCree is terrifying. I assume nano boosted tracer, soldier, and pharah are all also terrifying if they hit their shots.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
id like to boost the strongest player on my team but then blizzard hides all that information so i just boost reins so they get really stressed and cry irl

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Dren posted:

McCree isn't slow when he's got the speed boost from nano boost. Nano boosted McCree is terrifying. I assume nano boosted tracer, soldier, and pharah are all also terrifying if they hit their shots.

Man, a good tracer would be bonkers. Assuming my math is right, she could kill any support in half a second (assuming no missed shots and close range) while being incredibly hard to kill and taking half damage.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

mcvey posted:

The other day in a placement match we had a Rein, Dva, Reaper, Ana, Lucio, Symmetra

I was playing lucio, and Ana boosted me 4 times during the match? WHY?

Nano boosted healing?

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

TheresaJayne posted:

The other day in a placement match we had a Rein, Dva, Reaper, Ana, Lucio, Symmetra

I was playing lucio, and Ana boosted me 4 times during the match? WHY?

Nano boosted healing?

Prob stepped in the way when she was trying to boost somebody else.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
As Lucio you are probably standing next to people she was actually aiming at, or leaping in front of her because you are Lucio. Tell Ana to call out when she's going to ult so you can step out of the way.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Prob stepped in the way when she was trying to boost somebody else.

Actually we were the only 2 alive at the time, rather than pull back like i was doing she ran forward nano boosted me then died to a spamzo

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

TheresaJayne posted:

Actually we were the only 2 alive at the time, rather than pull back like i was doing she ran forward nano boosted me then died to a spamzo

She wanted to see some nanoboosted boops or something. That's bizarre.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

She wanted to see some nanoboosted boops or something. That's bizarre.

Probably just a bad player, I know i am not the best, but at least i have some modicum of knowledge on not trickling in and if your dps are dead - retreat.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I've had plenty of Ana ults ruined by a Lucio jumping around after I call it out and things get hectic. It happens.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Kashuno posted:

I've had plenty of Ana ults ruined by a Lucio jumping around after I call it out and things get hectic. It happens.

This is also on a EU PUG - No comms at all - not even by Text. the most I got in the games was someone spamming A-MEizing over and over

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.

Verranicus posted:

Yes, repeatedly. This seems commonly reported enough now to not just be wishful thinking. I've specifically been on the point and overtime ran out anyway.

Maybe it can't be extended infinitely anymore?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

bonewitch posted:

Man, a good tracer would be bonkers. Assuming my math is right, she could kill any support in half a second (assuming no missed shots and close range) while being incredibly hard to kill and taking half damage.

Yeah and you likely were referring to this when you said "hard to kill" but the speed boost from nanoboost along with her passive speed boost would make her really fast. The more I think about it the more I think the tracer would only have to be mediocre. Having the damage boost should paper over bad aim pretty well.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
The big problem is that the moment you are nanoboosted all the crowd control attacks come out in force to poo poo on you. Tracer only has an effective 225 hit points to work with while nanoboosted, so she can get roasted incredibly quickly.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
Do i have a time limit to try to get a ranking for season 2? I know it must cut off at some point as i couldn't play in any games for season 1 last week. But i might stick with quick play anyways, as you might play matches with two D.Va's, but no one is having a stroke over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Shnag posted:

Do i have a time limit to try to get a ranking for season 2? I know it must cut off at some point as i couldn't play in any games for season 1 last week. But i might stick with quick play anyways, as you might play matches with two D.Va's, but no one is having a stroke over it.

Probably up to the very last day if all you're interested it in some free comp points/icon/spray for participating (10 placement games).