Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Baal posted:

I can't handle this dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Baal posted:

Yes, 5k yen per call.

lmao really, that rules

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Every female co op is romancable except the cop and twin girls iirc.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Baal posted:

Ehhh, the second boss fight's gimmick is pretty whatever and the third boss fight's more involved and funny, the fourth boss gimmick is boring and just encompasses the whole fight and it has the most annoying voice clips of any boss in the game so far. The first boss sets the tone for the game fine with its gimmick, but I feel like the second boss is a boring follow up and it's the only one that doesn't use the special command mechanic so far.

The second boss has a special command mechanic, you can just beat it before you see it. Someone will sneak over and paint over the paintings, stunning them and making them weak to all attacks

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Baal posted:

Yes, 5k yen per call.

lol, that's great.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Baal posted:

His boss fight was funny, but it's just another in a line of bosses I did not care for and thought was lame. Tbh though it's not like I've ever really liked any Persona bosses with the exception of like Adachi into Ameno-Sagiri, so it's not like this game is lighting my world on fire, but most of the bosses in this game feel pretty lame and uninspired. Also, idk why they keep swapping names around for demons because Mammon is supposed to be greed, but they switched Beelzebub to the greed demon and renamed him to Baal and Mammon is the gluttony demon for some reason. That being said the fourth dungeon boss fight sucked hard, oh my god am I not looking forward to fighting it again on replay.

I meant more about the 3rd Targets character and stuff, but this is nice to know.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I dunno what to say about Kaneshiro he's a huge scumbag banker that sees the people of Tokyo as his personal atm machines and exploits everyone to his own personal gain. He used to be poor which makes it kinda ironic that he ended up like this, but he tries to blackmail Makoto since she's trying to take him down and in turn is gonna try to ruin Sae's reputation too. Makoto outright calls him a money-grubbing rear end in a top hat at one point and wants to take him down.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like the visual of walking ATM machines getting wrecked and having their money sucked out. He's not a particularly deep character but I think he worked well enough.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, he's fine he's just kinda flat compared to the previous two.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Tae posted:

Every female co op is romancable except the cop and twin girls iirc.

Understandable, everyone would choose the cop otherwise.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Understandable, everyone would choose the cop otherwise.

She's also Makoto's older sister (I don't remember if that's a spoiler or not, so being safe), which would make for a much more dangerous Valentine's confrontation.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
If this game has a remake like P4G and she's popular enough I wouldn't be suprised that they would make her a possible love interest.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jesus but the Pyramid is an overly-long dungeon.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

IceBorg posted:

If this game has a remake like P4G and she's popular enough I wouldn't be suprised that they would make her a possible love interest.

You mean add a completely new female romance character to dominate P5G

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

P5FES, then.

Alternatively, I can't wait for P5PC.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I can't wait for Persona 5: Cooking all Mid-Afternoon.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

You mean add a completely new female romance character to dominate P5G
i hope they do just for more mad posts about a single s. link and bonus dungeon

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Two interesting Persona things I saw today

https://twitter.com/RyougaSaotome/status/778980505005985792

https://twitter.com/Ehm2k/status/779161933459103744

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Infinity Gaia posted:

I can't wait for Persona 5: Cooking all Mid-Afternoon.

Would 100% play a Persona-themed cooking game

Saagonsa posted:

Alternatively, I can't wait for P5PC.

I wouldn't hold your breath

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I would like to see literally any smt game on steam

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
can date all the girls but no boys?? gently caress

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Grozz Nuy posted:

Would 100% play a Persona-themed cooking game

I wouldn't hold your breath

More likely than you'd think. Japanese companies are learning, thanks to Steam, there's a western PC market ready to buy the poo poo out of jrpgs. Now if it's an exclusive that's a game changer.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Tae posted:

I would like to see literally any smt game on steam

Digital Devil Saga Online. Fight off other Tribes and claim their territories. Rend, devour, it is the only way to survive, children of Purgatory.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Tired Moritz posted:

Thanks Japan.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ImpAtom posted:

Jesus but the Pyramid is an overly-long dungeon.

Yeah, wasn't a fan of that dungeon because it of how it just would not god drat end. I died to an Anubis at the second floor very far in going back for the orb and there wasn't a single safe room in there despite how long I had been doing it for. Then I get to the next area and there's a safe room like loving halfway into it and I was like "Okay, are you for real?" It was just such a drat drag to get through and then there's trying to actually take the treasure has ANOTHER dungeon before the boss fight proper.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also I am loving sick of gettin stonewalled during Coops because my expression, diligence, etc. aren't high enough, like what the gently caress. I'm fine with needing a certain level of that to start, but needing this poo poo to continue is aggravating for a first playthrough when I just wanna see certain coops to the end. I guess this is their way of preventing you from getting amazing skills early in the game and just busting it open since they're tied to gameplay now, but I want to loving finish Makoto's already and I don't want to grind to level 4 expression to do so god dammit. This wasn't engaging when I had to to do it for Dojima and Nanako and I especially don't like it now that I need to do it for most of the cast.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

One day...

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
The boss fight scared me though on hard because at one point only my main character was alive.

That being said Futaba is legit my favorite character so far.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Baal posted:

Also I am loving sick of gettin stonewalled during Coops because my expression, diligence, etc. aren't high enough, like what the gently caress. I'm fine with needing a certain level of that to start, but needing this poo poo to continue is aggravating for a first playthrough when I just wanna see certain coops to the end. I guess this is their way of preventing you from getting amazing skills early in the game and just busting it open since they're tied to gameplay now, but I want to loving finish Makoto's already and I don't want to grind to level 4 expression to do so god dammit. This wasn't engaging when I had to to do it for Dojima and Nanako and I especially don't like it now that I need to do it for most of the cast.

Speaking of those, are they any easier to level than in p4, or at least a little less annoying? From what i've seen a couple of the things you do to level them up are actual minigames now. Does doing good in them make them level up at a reasonable rate, or make it seem like not quite as much of a waste of time as it is p4?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The game gives you more ways to level them up through other character coops and general other stuff, but it's still stuff you have to spend time in your day on and sometimes I just did5 have the money to hit up the bathhouse for the umpteenth time to hope my expression will finally hit the level I want it to be at. It's still an annoying slog to do.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I don't speak moon, but it seemed from footage I watched that there were lots of little extra ways to squeeze in those stats into a routine with stuff like reading books on the subway, watching DVDs at night and I even saw someone level something by taking care of the potted plant in your room, and it didn't even seem to cost time. Kind of a shame if all that is meaningless considering mass amounts of required grind.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The only time you can increase stats to where it doesn't sacrifice time is there happen to be special dialogue options that give you star boosts or reading on the train to school since it's not like you can do anything on the trains other than that. It's not like this wasn't a thing in P3 and P4, but it's not like you need your stats super high to do anything other than initiate certain Slinks with Nanako and Dojima being the exceptions because some idiot thought that needed to be a thing with those two. There were also more glaring issues, now that is emphasized in this game to the point where I'm just wasting nights I can be using to talk to Sojiro or Mishima just so I can move forward on a coop I want to do a lot.

The only person I haven't been halted on that I got to higher end of the coops on is Ryuji at Rank 9 and I'm almost certain there is one for him that I already fulfilled, but never saw because it could've coincided with another character's which is nice. Thankfully on replay this won't be an issue, but it's just really dumb right now. Tbh, I probably wouldn't have so many problems with this if there was any progress ticker for my social stats and I had an idea how close I was to being done so I could manage my days better, but nope I just gotta take it on good faith that it's working.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Sep 23, 2016

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Baal posted:

The game gives you more ways to level them up through other character coops and general other stuff, but it's still stuff you have to spend time in your day on and sometimes I just did5 have the money to hit up the bathhouse for the umpteenth time to hope my expression will finally hit the level I want it to be at. It's still an annoying slog to do.

Oh well, the system is kinda inherently limiting so I guess i'm not too surprised they didn't really fix it or anything. Have they at least stopped locking off dialogue options due to them? Because that was always dumb as hell.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm mad.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Let me tell you an experience I had, this is actually story relevant, but it's stuff the beginning of the game tells you about the main character, so you guys should be good to read this. I'll spoiler tag it anyways

So your main character is considered a criminal because before the game you were trying to save a woman who was gonna be raped by a drunk dude. This guys presses charges on you because in the scuffle he got his friggin' head split open and you were accused of assault. This is why everyone in the school treats you like poo poo from the start and whatnot. So at some point after you beat Kamoshida, you guys are at a restaurant and coming back from the bathroom, Joker and Ryuji run across this dude and his cronies. Turns out he's a politician of some relevance and pushes you out of the way to get on the elevator first and then threatens to sue you when you speak up about him being a gently caress. When he does this you can respond to tell him to gently caress off with two of the three options, but you're not brave enough to do that at this point in the game, so you just get to back down and let him go on his merry way.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Baal posted:

Let me tell you an experience I had, this is actually story relevant, but it's stuff the beginning of the game tells you about the main character, so you guys should be good to read this. I'll spoiler tag it anyways

So your main character is considered a criminal because before the game you were trying to save a woman who was gonna be raped by a drunk dude. This guys presses charges on you because in the scuffle he got his friggin' head split open and you were accused of assault. This is why everyone in the school treats you like poo poo from the start and whatnot. So at some point after you beat Kamoshida, you guys are at a restaurant and coming back from the bathroom, Joker and Ryuji run across this dude and his cronies. Turns out he's a politician of some relevance and pushes you out of the way to get on the elevator first and then threatens to sue you when you speak up about him being a gently caress. When he does this you can respond to tell him to gently caress off with two of the three options, but you're not brave enough to do that at this point in the game, so you just get to back down and let him go on his merry way.

That seems like a potentially not bad implementation of it, honestly. But like only if in the future you're in a similar situation and get to tell him to gently caress off then. It feels like there could be a point to it. Unlike "directly ask Yukiko for her number, or sort of segue into it".

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You don't

This is a probably a big spoiler

You do get to kick his loving teeth in though.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
you're so enticing baal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Baal posted:

You don't

This is a probably a big spoiler

You do get to kick his loving teeth in though.

Eh, that still counts.