Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

End of Life Guy posted:

If they cast a creature at sorcery speed, and I remove it at sorcery speed, is that not a 1 for 1?

Creatures tend to have powerful ETBs that put the removal player at a disadvantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anglachel
May 28, 2012

End of Life Guy posted:

If they cast a creature at sorcery speed, and I remove it at sorcery speed, is that not a 1 for 1?

They can spend 2 mana and get a card back. In a deck like humans where your aiming to kill them ASAP it was a good card, because if they slowed down on their drops to crack a clue on you, well that was good for you. But in grindy mid range forever magic, it's kinda bad. The fact that it exiles a creature is also very relevant with 4x Leliana being required to play Black and likely to be a big part of standard for her tenure. Also with Dredge like decks getting tested.

Declaration in Stone is still very playable though. But it's gonna be 1 to 3, with 1 in the mainboard and the rest in the side, and sometimes maybe even all 3 in the side. If tokens ends up being a big deck it will get mainboarded multiple copies.

But basically, if your playing white you will probably be playing at least 1 copy of it, unless your playing Black, then you have other more appealing options. Red/White will still want access to it for stuff they can't kill with Collective Defiance or Burn, and Green thankfully has not YET gotten better than red removal, but I'm sure thats on the agenda for the next block. ("Burning your opponent for 2 when you play a Land is totally a green ability GUISE! Also Divination and Shock are too strong for standard")

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

anglachel posted:

. If tokens ends up being a big deck it will get mainboarded multiple copies.

Wat

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Dr. Stab posted:

New world order has nothing to do with the power level of cards.

Which is why I said it doesn't make sense as a new world order thing.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
I don't think spending a card to kill two plants is how you beat GW tokens.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

"That player investigates for each nontoken creature exiled this way."

I guess I missed the context and assumed that was a blanket statement about card advantage.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Creatures tend to have powerful ETBs that put the removal player at a disadvantage.

This makes sense, but wouldn't instant speed removal suffer from the same disadvantage? Or not because we're both using the same turn's mana (if I'm on the play)?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

End of Life Guy posted:

I guess I missed the context and assumed that was a blanket statement about card advantage.

This makes sense, but wouldn't instant speed removal suffer from the same disadvantage? Or not because we're both using the same turn's mana (if I'm on the play)?

Instant speed removal allows you to mess with combat and also lets midrange decks pass the turn without having to cast anything.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

uninverted posted:

I don't think spending a card to kill two plants is how you beat GW tokens.

I'm not talking about Green/White tokens. I'm talking about a Servo Token deck. No idea if that will be a for real thing or not.

Yep. Maybe even up 2 mainboard :)

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Been running Kaldesh drafts on Xmage nonstop, impressions so far is that it's very "creature stalematey" like Innistrad/Moon but theres much more evasion/tricks to do to break free. The energy mechanic is fun and has multiples uses. I've 2 guys get Swords from the super mythic whatevers but it didn't help them to much, there is tons of artifact removal and everyone runs some of it. Aether Theorist is the best dam draft card in the block, 2 mana for a 1/3 that gives you 3 energy and can scry for no mana cost has won me more games then almost anything else.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It's not an odd thing to conflate since NWO is a very extreme term just for mechanical complexity at common, and it happened about the same time as creature/midrangery and the mythic rarity.

The removal depowering happened a lot later, even. NWO started with Zendikar, limited removal depowering started with AVR or RTR. Constructed removal depowering is in the last couple of years, seeing as how murderous cut is probably one of the top 5 spot removal spells ever.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Elyv posted:

The removal depowering happened a lot later, even. NWO started with Zendikar, limited removal depowering started with AVR or RTR. Constructed removal depowering is in the last couple of years, seeing as how murderous cut is probably one of the top 5 spot removal spells ever.

People were complaining about removal when RTR rotated out. I remember because it's when I started following the thread more closely.

Murderous cut wasn't actually played that much at first.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I think there was actually an r&d article released sometime around Khans, about their intention to challenge magic's sacred cows. Doom blade, 4 mana wraths and 1 drop mana dorks.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

anglachel posted:

I'm not talking about Green/White tokens. I'm talking about a Servo Token deck. No idea if that will be a for real thing or not.

Yep. Maybe even up 2 mainboard :)

You are gonna Declare on their Servos?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Crossposting from the Limited thread: anyone up for Kaladesh sealed on cockatrice? Would like to get in some practice before the prerelease.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Toshimo posted:

You are gonna Declare on their Servos?

"If tokens ends up being a deck... "

what part of this is hard to understand

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
LSV is totally right about draft leagues - even with the Cube league, which kind of takes away the singleton aspect, being able to play my matches whenever I want is such a massive advantage over waiting for 40 minutes for the other matches to finish in a queue that I'm willing to accept playing against anything. The biggest downside I can see is that the competition seems drastically worse than I remember from the last time Cube was up. I keep playing against total trainwrecks, and it's kind of alarming. Am I just getting lucky to draft with players that know what they're doing, and my opponents are just getting screwed?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Elyv posted:

Murderious cut is a great card. Its also in a unique situation where its great but gets worse the more copies you play. Even with how slow standard is you didn't really run more than 2.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It was also competing with all the other amazing delve cards.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

There were two copies of the card in the top 8 of pro tour KTK. Both in Lax's SB.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/ptktk/top-8-decklists-2014-10-11

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

caiman posted:

His insufferable PucaTrade rant swayed me to unsubscribe from his channel.

Pucatrade is poo poo to be fair. Ah I dont know this MTGHQ guy though.

oh is this the guy who lost his previewer status for being a idiot online?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
From what I remember of using pucatrade about half a year ago, it was fine as long as you were willing to be flexible. Offering a 10% bounty to get poo poo like spellskites, fulminators etc was hella worth when you consider that the chaff you would trade to people would never ever sell for the "TCGMid" price.

These days you have to use PucaPower or some other app to actually participate, though. I think the siterunners even endorsed it, lol. Hoarding points is the dumbest decision you could do considering there are a bunch of inflationary pressures on points (like being able to buy them from the site). Just get enough points to get what you need and immediately cash out.

But hey I got a near mint revised volcanic island off of it! (somewhat special circumstances)

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Rinkles posted:

I think there was actually an r&d article released sometime around Khans, about their intention to challenge magic's sacred cows. Doom blade, 4 mana wraths and 1 drop mana dorks.

that's a weird time to bring up 4 mana wraths as those have been dead since what, supreme verdict rotated?

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

MiddleEastBeast posted:

"If tokens ends up being a deck... "

what part of this is hard to understand

So I get an artifact ETB trigger for every Servo I had? Thanks!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Zemyla posted:

Yes, you get a Clue for each TOKEN that gets exiled.

Because that's how Declaration in Stone works.

Wait...hold on...

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

that's a weird time to bring up 4 mana wraths as those have been dead since what, supreme verdict rotated?

Which is when Khans came out?

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Zemyla posted:

Which triggger are you worried about them getting on your turn? That 1/3 dude that burns you for 1?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
This conversation reminds me that everyone should read cards at the prerelease. Just read them, even if you think you know what a card does.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

This conversation reminds me that everyone should read cards at the prerelease. Just read them, even if you think you know what a card does.

Again which creature/card are we concerned with again? (serious question)

New cards that would have relevant triggers/abilities that would cause issues for you resolving a Declaration in Stone on them.....

White:
Ninth Bridge Patrol (lol)
Toolcraft Exemplar (his ability only triggers opponents turn)

Blue:
Era of Innovation (if this card has chops in Standard I will be pleasantly surprised)
Gearseeker Servant (would be surprised to see in Standard)
Metallurgic Summonings (see above, but I could see it being a build around me card)
Padeem (I guess they could draw even more cards for having clue tokens, but I have a feeling they would already have an artifact to trigger her)
Saheeli's Artistry (sure copy the clue)
Shrewd Negotiation (if your playing this in standard your deck is either super sweet or awful)
Tezzeret's Ambition (not gonna be played in Standard most likely)
Weldfast Wingsmith (lol)

Black:
Dhund Operative (probably not standard playable)
Embral Bruiser (probably not standard playable, but there might be a white black aggro deck with plenty of artifacts it fits in maybe)
Foundry Screecher (not gonna be played in standard)
Marionette Master (This will punish you heavily for giving them clues, if it sees standard play it will be a heavy dedicated artifact deck)
Ovalchase Daredevil (lol)
Syndicate Trafficker (see Embral Bruiser)
Tidy Conclusion (lol)
Underhanded Designs (if it sees standard play it's cause there's some kind of heavy artifact focused deck and Marionette Master will probably be in too)

Red:
Incendiary Sabotage (might see Standard play)
Inventor's Apprentice (might see Standard play)
Pia Nalaar (sure)
Quicksmith Genius (doubt it will see standard play)
Reckless Fireweaver (will only see standard play in some kind of deck where he is the win condition)
Salivating Gremlines (would need to be a pretty dedicated red artifact deck to see standard play)

Multicolor:
Contraband Kingpin (might see play as an answer to aggro)
Saheeli (if they want to copy a clue go for it)
Unlicensed Disintegration ( there deck will have an artifact already, or this is just murder 5 through 8)

Land:
Inventors Fair (might help turn it on)

Of these I would expect, 5 at most will see standard play, and most of those in dedicated decks where you will have an inkling of the drawback.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I'd like to see Ovalchase Daredevil find a place in Standard. As a card that doesn't necessarily actually enter the battlefield, alongside some discard/mill and maybe Scrapheap Scrounger and/or Haunted Dead.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Holy poo poo I am ending this roundabout garbage discussion Declaration in Stone does not give you clues for token creatures.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Procrastinator posted:

Holy poo poo I am ending this roundabout garbage discussion Declaration in Stone does not give you clues for token creatures.

What if it's a token copy of a non-token creature???????

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

suicidesteve posted:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b2HSo3yywDU

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

suicidesteve posted:

I declare you must be stoned.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

anglachel posted:

Again which creature/card are we concerned with again? (serious question)

New cards that would have relevant triggers/abilities that would cause issues for you resolving a Declaration in Stone on them.....

White:
Ninth Bridge Patrol (lol)
Toolcraft Exemplar (his ability only triggers opponents turn)

Blue:
Era of Innovation (if this card has chops in Standard I will be pleasantly surprised)
Gearseeker Servant (would be surprised to see in Standard)
Metallurgic Summonings (see above, but I could see it being a build around me card)
Padeem (I guess they could draw even more cards for having clue tokens, but I have a feeling they would already have an artifact to trigger her)
Saheeli's Artistry (sure copy the clue)
Shrewd Negotiation (if your playing this in standard your deck is either super sweet or awful)
Tezzeret's Ambition (not gonna be played in Standard most likely)
Weldfast Wingsmith (lol)

Black:
Dhund Operative (probably not standard playable)
Embral Bruiser (probably not standard playable, but there might be a white black aggro deck with plenty of artifacts it fits in maybe)
Foundry Screecher (not gonna be played in standard)
Marionette Master (This will punish you heavily for giving them clues, if it sees standard play it will be a heavy dedicated artifact deck)
Ovalchase Daredevil (lol)
Syndicate Trafficker (see Embral Bruiser)
Tidy Conclusion (lol)
Underhanded Designs (if it sees standard play it's cause there's some kind of heavy artifact focused deck and Marionette Master will probably be in too)

Red:
Incendiary Sabotage (might see Standard play)
Inventor's Apprentice (might see Standard play)
Pia Nalaar (sure)
Quicksmith Genius (doubt it will see standard play)
Reckless Fireweaver (will only see standard play in some kind of deck where he is the win condition)
Salivating Gremlines (would need to be a pretty dedicated red artifact deck to see standard play)

Multicolor:
Contraband Kingpin (might see play as an answer to aggro)
Saheeli (if they want to copy a clue go for it)
Unlicensed Disintegration ( there deck will have an artifact already, or this is just murder 5 through 8)

Land:
Inventors Fair (might help turn it on)

Of these I would expect, 5 at most will see standard play, and most of those in dedicated decks where you will have an inkling of the drawback.

I didn't read this post but I guarantee you that it does not prove that Declaration in Stone is a good removal spell.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

BJPaskoff posted:

the legend of Morkrut Banshee having flying, probably, no reason to check is one of my favorites

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Procrastinator posted:

Oh I assumed he meant that a deck that played token artifact creatures would get bonuses from having random clue tokens around

ThePeavstenator posted:

I didn't read this post but I guarantee you that it does not prove that Declaration in Stone is a good removal spell.

I guess it getting played in like 63 percent of the main decks in Standard means it's awful. Absolutely awful.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/format-staples/standard

anglachel fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Sep 23, 2016

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I'm going to ban every single person in that chat just because I know I'll hit you in the process.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
So GP London is £70 sealed, guess playing side events is better value? I don't like the mat either so feel like I'm only losing a Stoneforge.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That figure includes sideboards and reflects the fact that almost the entire metagame is Bant Company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Irony Be My Shield posted:

That figure includes sideboards and reflects the fact that almost the entire metagame is Bant Company.

It's being played more than Company.

• Locked thread