Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

GutBomb posted:

Why does the description in the play store say somethingisawful.com instead of somethingawful.com?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdUHDDj7fhk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

how do I turn off these dang icons

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Another vote for a toggle to kill the icons or at least use the old thin equivalents and giving us back our vertical space when they're gone.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

Kat Delacour posted:

Another vote for a toggle to kill the icons or at least use the old thin equivalents and giving us back our vertical space when they're gone.

Yeah, any way to change this? I've got a Moto X and could really use the vertical space.

Madness
Jan 23, 2007

Thanks for another solid update!

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I'll take a look at making it possible to turn off the frogs in a future update. I don't think it will help much with the vertical space though as it will still adhere to material design guidelines.

I also discovered today that Amazon has permanently waived their developer fee and have once again submitted Awful to the Amazon App Store Market Place thing. I'll keep you updated, in the meantime look out for user Fergazon posting something like "ygsnegoux" in a random thread.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Am I wrong that there was an option for me to automatically start on the bookmarks page? I can't find it but I seem to remember it was there before at some stage.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
That's launching from the shortcut rather than from the app proper.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Yeah look in your widgets menu.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Sereri posted:

I'll take a look at making it possible to turn off the frogs in a future update. I don't think it will help much with the vertical space though as it will still adhere to material design guidelines.

I don't think this adheres to material guidelines as is.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

a worthy uhh posted:

I don't think this adheres to material guidelines as is.

Well for starters, that's not a menu item.

Also, the forum display is properly hosed without thread tags again. Good lord.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sereri posted:

Well for starters, that's not a menu item.

Also, the forum display is properly hosed without thread tags again. Good lord.

Yeah, that was going to be my complaint. I keep thread tags turned off, because to me, it just wastes space. But yeah, it still wastes space when it's off. :-D

Thanks for the awesome app, though. I feel like I used to post in here every few weeks just saying thank you, but it's been a while... so thank you!

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Is it possible for an app to open a link in a private (incognito) browser window? I suspect there is no standard for such a thing with the registered url handlers but thought I'd ask. It would be really nice to skip the copy/paste step when opening random links.

Love the app btw <3

Madness
Jan 23, 2007

Where did general bullshit go? I can't seem to find it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
To the eighth circle of hell, never to return, inshallah

(there was a request to hide it from non-members, admins removed it entirely for a laugh. Check QCS for the relevant discussion threads)

Madness
Jan 23, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

To the eighth circle of hell, never to return, inshallah

(there was a request to hide it from non-members, admins removed it entirely for a laugh. Check QCS for the relevant discussion threads)

Well goodtimes!

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Thanks for the app and update. A minor quibble, I liked using the volume buttons as a page up/page down thing instead of scrolling and that doesn't work outside of individual threads anymore. Still a great app though.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Peztopiary posted:

using the volume buttons as a page up/page down thing

Is this a common feature? It sounds hilarious to my iOS-centric self.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Using the side buttons to scroll with is amazing for books and anything laid out vertically. Does the iPhone not have side buttons?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

pokeyman posted:

Is this a common feature? It sounds hilarious to my iOS-centric self.

It's like old Kindles with the page turn buttons, and is typically used in ebook or reading apps.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Thanks for the update team! Great work :tipshat:

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I'm ... actually surprised?

Awful on the Amazon Appstore

Does anyone actually still have Amazon devices?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
My parents :v:

Not that they read SA. But I'm pretty sure they're amazon's main demographic.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
The app does appear to work on this cheapo Fire I got a while back, so hooray. Maybe this thing won't be quite so useless any more.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Sereri posted:

Does anyone actually still have Amazon devices?

I have one of those dirt cheap tablets, but I put the Play store on it.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Is it not possible to get to subsubforums? Stuff like the wow subforum under games>blizzard

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Skyl3lazer posted:

Is it not possible to get to subsubforums? Stuff like the wow subforum under games>blizzard

Hit the Games forum icon and it should show a list of subforums

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
as an FYI, DIY now has a proper forum tag

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

When I download an image attachment, it getd the filename "attachment.php" and subsequently it doesn't show up in my gallery.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
What's happening when the image of the frog appears? Don't get me wrong, I love me some awful frog just wondered what that's all about. It looks like it appears when my phone goes to redraw the app or something but then doesn't reload the page (which is good except if your on the bookmarks page in which case a reload is always appreciated).

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

It's just the app starting up. While it's loading resources and whatever you get a blank screen, and the guidelines say you should have an image instead, so :frogbon:

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Speaking of alternate devices.... What's the last version that worked with Gingerbread? I'd like to convert that apk to a bar and run it on my BlackBerry PlayBook!

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Where's the forums menu at now? All I see is bookmarks

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

How do you mean? Everything should still be where it was

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

baka kaba posted:

How do you mean? Everything should still be where it was

It is now? That's weird. When I looked earlier, there was no "main" tab. No forums listed. Just the bookmarks tab at the top.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Weird, maybe there was a scraping issue. If it's not a glitch that restarting the app sorts out, you can go into the Forums Index settings menu and force a refresh (it'll take a minute)

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Checking in to say how much I'm enjoying the new display image function. It's the tops.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Lizard Combatant posted:

Checking in to say how much I'm enjoying the new display image function. It's the tops.

:agreed: it's made my browsing experience so much smoother

pod6isjerks
Feb 17, 2005

Nap Ghost
Awful app stopped working on my phone (Nexus 6P). It keeps saying no forums data and when tried to log out and back in again it says login failed. Any ideas? It really sucks, I've been on Reddit way too much lately. Please help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

pod6isjerks posted:

Awful app stopped working on my phone (Nexus 6P). It keeps saying no forums data and when tried to log out and back in again it says login failed. Any ideas? It really sucks, I've been on Reddit way too much lately. Please help.

Clear the app data. Logging out is also still a bit buggy.