Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/09/22/oculus-founder-palmer-luckey-funds-anti-clinton-dirty-meme-group-daily-beast.html

the story has now hit the big business media.

HAHAHA GET hosed, PALMER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

quote:

Luckey, who sold his virtual reality company Oculus to Facebook for $2 billion in 2014, said that despite being listed as NimbleAmerica's vice president on its website, he was just the group's money man, adding that the group "sounded like a real jolly good time," the report said.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Unlucky7 posted:

I am not defending the jerk, but I thought that he wasn't employed at Oculus anymore, since he sold to Facebook?

He is (currently) employed by Oculus. The statement was that he is not employed by Facebook. This is true in that they are technically separate companies, it's just that one happens to own the other. How much that distinction matters kind of depends on how much control Facebook feels like exerting over Oculus.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Lol if people are willing to shut out a chunk of the already tiny VR market because some nerd spends money to make memes.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Lol if people are willing to shut out a chunk of the already tiny VR market because some nerd spends money to make memes.

why? you can always enjoy VR in the form of the superior non-racist non-white supremacist HTC VIVE.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I was honestly leaning towards a rift because as terrible as it sounds the home thing didn't bother me too much, it was more comfortable and the touch controllers seemed cool but now, absolutely no way. I'm sure there are some repugnant people high up in HTC or whatever also but I really don't want to knowingly fund the dudes trying to make being a nazi cool again

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Actually its because he's a white supremacist and is paying people to burn virtual crosses on black people's cyberlawns

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
The Oculus Home walled garden is to keep the undesirable Vive users out.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Also, isn't the Daily Beast like, worse than the National Enquirer?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

from checking the terrible reddit thread about it people who follow him on facebook are saying he's been openly all about that stuff forever and this comes as no surprise, it's news to me since I never bothered to learn anything about the dude besides hearing he was kinda weird

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

I'm not sure if you've been paying attention but it cannot be understated how completely vile Donald Trump and his campaign are.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

homeless snail posted:

Actually its because he's a white supremacist and is paying people to burn virtual crosses on black people's cyberlawns

Henry Ford supported actual Hitler and wrote The International Jew and yet people still buy Ford vehicles. Nearly every company has some horrific shitlord at the top at some point.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Cojawfee posted:

Henry Ford supported actual Hitler and wrote The International Jew and yet people still buy Ford vehicles. Nearly every company has some horrific shitlord at the top at some point.

But he's dead now and no longer running Ford?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

heres a cool tweet from the dude's girlfriend if there was any doubt left

https://twitter.com/nikkimoxxi/status/712404254976249857

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Kazy posted:

But he's dead now and no longer running Ford?

And somehow Ford survived the time period in which he was alive and did run Ford all while being an antisemite. Does Luckey even run Oculus anymore? Ever since the pepperidge farm incident, he totally disappeared. Facebook branding has been creeping further and further into Oculus. I wouldn't be surprised if Facebook has been running the show and told him to sit down and shut up.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

And somehow Ford survived the time period in which he was alive and did run Ford all while being an antisemite.

that was because back then being an antisemite was kinda no big deal, imagine what would happen to a new company today if the dude running it was outed as one

e: actually I think we're about to find out :haw:

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

d0s posted:

heres a cool tweet from the dude's girlfriend if there was any doubt left

https://twitter.com/nikkimoxxi/status/712404254976249857

What's wrong with that tweet?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

it's really amazing how concepts like racism, white supremacy, 19th century anti-immigrant mania and hard-right fascism is going to make a big comeback thanks to in large part to silicon valley and the damaged broken souls who swarm that pustule.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Palmer Luckey created his dream world, a world with only white people. Now you can join him, Enter the Rift.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Poetic Justice posted:

I like muslim immigrants, and immigrants in general. my best friend is a muslim immigrant, my parents immigrated to the US from ecuador. unchecked immigration rules imo

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Poetic Justice posted:

It's racist. Hope this helps.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

d0s posted:

I like muslim immigrants, and immigrants in general. my best friend is a muslim immigrant, my parents immigrated to the US from ecuador. unchecked immigration rules imo

I too think it's a good idea to leave my front door wide open with a neon sign saying "Anyone and everyone welcome to come inside" and not judging or checking anybody.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Lemming posted:

It's racist. Hope this helps.

First, Muslim isn't a race. Second, unchecked immigration is not a good idea in general, mo matter what religion or other country they are from. It's important to do background checks. You can't just be like "welp, everyone come on in".

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Poetic Justice posted:

I too think it's a good idea to leave my front door wide open with a neon sign saying "Anyone and everyone welcome to come inside" and not judging or checking anybody.
Yeah but we didn't have much choice after GBS got closed down, so we have to let you post here anyway.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Poetic Justice posted:

yeah that's kinda what america is all about, love it or leave it buddy!

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
People posting on a forum that requires $10 to join "The best thing to do is just let everyone in!"

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Poetic Justice posted:

That's not how it currently or ever has worked here. Trumps "muslim ban" is an excuse to say that non-white people shouldn't be allowed to come into this country. He also wants to expand stop and frisk nationwide (illegla, unconstitutional breaches of the 4th amendment rights of specifically minorities, especially black people), as well as "deportation forces" with an Arizona like law where police check the papers of anyone they suspect of being an undocumented immigrant (targets Latinos specifically, based on how Hispanic they look). He repeatedly refuses to disavow white supremacists, including explicit KKK members.

Everything about him is designed specifically to appeal to white nationalists and racists. Do not think for a second that any filth that comes out of his mouth contains any amount of truth or value.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Poetic Justice posted:

What do you think the current system is that you think this is a reasonable thing to say?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Poetic Justice posted:

People posting on a forum that requires $10 to join "The best thing to do is just let everyone in!"

hahah there is no :goonsay: big enough

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Lemming, what's any of that have to do with that ladies tweet?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Poetic Justice posted:

it's that she's supporting targeted discrimination and bans on specifically Muslim immigrants and immigration.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
So if she left out the word Muslim, it would be ok then? But aren't/weren't there a bunch of people saying to just let in refugee's without doing the normal process of immigration that applies to everybody else? It's not like we are having a flood of refuges from Canada, so it's not exactly racist, just topical to what's happening right now.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Poetic Justice posted:

She's saying it because she supports Trump and the things he says and does, obviously. That's where that entire flavor of racism popped up (it's explicitly racist because guess who they target to "verify" if they're Muslim? Brown people. Same exact reason why literacy tests were racist even thought they never said black people can't vote, it was just only enforced against black people)

Edit:

Poetic Justice posted:

So if she left out the word Muslim, it would be ok then? But aren't/weren't there a bunch of people saying to just let in refugee's without doing the normal process of immigration that applies to everybody else? It's not like we are having a flood of refuges from Canada, so it's not exactly racist, just topical to what's happening right now.

No. Literally nobody is saying or arguing for that. There are extensive checks that refugees go through right now (edit2: as in, things that can take months or years). Again, do not fall for the trap of thinking that anything Trump says isn't a vicious, hateful lie.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

oh. you dont know what context is and have no ability to parse meaning, do you?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Lemming posted:

She's saying it because she supports Trump and the things he says and does, obviously. That's where that entire flavor of racism popped up (it's explicitly racist because guess who they target to "verify" if they're Muslim? Brown people. Same exact reason why literacy tests were racist even thought they never said black people can't vote, it was just only enforced against black people)

Edit:

No. Literally nobody is saying or arguing for that. There are extensive checks that refugees go through right now. Again, do not fall for the trap of thinking that anything Trump says isn't a vicious, hateful lie.

I don't think it's racist to bring up the fact that right now, there are tons of Syrian refuges that some people think should just be let in without doing the proper checks that we do for everyone else.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

helping people gtfo a war torn shithole asap is a good thing, imo

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Poetic Justice posted:

I don't think it's racist to bring up the fact that right now, there are tons of Syrian refuges that some people think should just be let in without doing the proper checks that we do for everyone else.

No. Again. Literally nobody thinks that. They go through extensive checking and verification. Nobody is arguing they should be let in without any checks. The entire premise of invoking refugees as a campaign issue is to stir up Islamophobia and racism. Trump is explicitly targeting white nationalists and racists with his rhetoric.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Poetic Justice posted:

Except nobody is saying that and she said muslims and immigrants not refugees. Also, helping refugees who are escaping a mass murdering fascist is cool and good and more Syrians should be helped as much as possible.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

We must secure the existence of virtual reality and a future for Oculus Home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I guess the good news, in a Yin and Yang way, is that facebooks co-founder donated 20 milion to get Clinton elected