Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

potatocubed posted:

I'm preparing to launch my very first Kickstarter -- any chance I could get some folk to skim through it and tell me all the horrible mistakes I'm making?

Pigsmoke Kickstarter Preview

Have you considered putting in a hardcover tier? It might be good to have something in the gap between £10 and £30, and I found with Legacy people were very happy to bump up to Hardcover. Out of interest, what size is the book? Digest, letter, something else?

Also, do you have any other art to spruce up the KS page with? With just the cover image and the school shield it looks a little sparse. Even a few sample layout images if you have them would go a long way I think.

e: Oh, and if you haven't already I'd strongly consider recording some actual play of the game - even a few short scenes can do a lot to sell the game to people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

i think you might need something to bridge the £40 and £300 tiers. Also a video of any kind will really help. I did a not particularly great one for my last kickstarter and it really helped I think.

Flavivirus posted:

Have you considered putting in a hardcover tier? It might be good to have something in the gap between £10 and £30, and I found with Legacy people were very happy to bump up to Hardcover. Out of interest, what size is the book? Digest, letter, something else?

Also, do you have any other art to spruce up the KS page with? With just the cover image and the school shield it looks a little sparse. Even a few sample layout images if you have them would go a long way I think.

e: Oh, and if you haven't already I'd strongly consider recording some actual play of the game - even a few short scenes can do a lot to sell the game to people.

I was thinking about doing this with the next kickstarter but i couldn't figure out how to make it work with DriveThru - since DriveThru handles the printing I couldn't find a way to justify charging more on my end for a book with pretty much the same content.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

I was thinking about doing this with the next kickstarter but i couldn't figure out how to make it work with DriveThru - since DriveThru handles the printing I couldn't find a way to justify charging more on my end for a book with pretty much the same content.

Up to you I suppose, but if you're up front with the backers about the costs involved it should be fine. In my case I had 90 people pay £12 now / £4 later + shipping for the softcover and 66 pay £16 now/£7 later + shipping for the hardcover - people are often willing to pay a bit extra to get something nicer, even when they know it's not the best value for money.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Could someone who kickstarted Scythe give me their initial impressions of it? They have a second printing coming up soon, and I am considering getting it. I think I would prefer a Goon opinion as opposed to BGG, that audience can be, well, a bit weird.

An opinion from a guy I know and respect who is super into games and has been since the mid 70s

"My first impressions are that it's a very good game, and also beautiful to look at. So far those are two separate judgments: the thematic material isn't as integrated with the game play as one would find in a game like Here I Stand. But I wasn't expecting that. Thematic stuff aside, there's a decent amount of player interaction, and the kind of multiple paths to victory that board game audiences expect.

If you like to play aggressively, I should warn you that the tough looking mechs don't make this a war game. Expect a few fights, but less combat than, for example, Age of Conan (another euro with only occasional player-player combat).

So my provisional reaction is that if you want something that looks on the table like a flashy combat game, and you're ready to enjoy a very good euro that isn't a flashy combat game, then you should try Scythe.

Bonus points, by the way, for Scythe's excellent use of wooden bits on the faction mats for executing moves and tracking changes in game state. That part of the physical design is not just aesthetically pleasing, but very functional and elegant."

From my perspective the fact that war is a path to losing the game since you waste time and resources in combat, yet the big selling point for me was the mechs I passed on the game. Don't show me mechs and then tell me that using them is a bad idea.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Indolent Bastard posted:

An opinion from a guy I know and respect who is super into games and has been since the mid 70s

"My first impressions are that it's a very good game, and also beautiful to look at. So far those are two separate judgments: the thematic material isn't as integrated with the game play as one would find in a game like Here I Stand. But I wasn't expecting that. Thematic stuff aside, there's a decent amount of player interaction, and the kind of multiple paths to victory that board game audiences expect.

If you like to play aggressively, I should warn you that the tough looking mechs don't make this a war game. Expect a few fights, but less combat than, for example, Age of Conan (another euro with only occasional player-player combat).

So my provisional reaction is that if you want something that looks on the table like a flashy combat game, and you're ready to enjoy a very good euro that isn't a flashy combat game, then you should try Scythe.

Bonus points, by the way, for Scythe's excellent use of wooden bits on the faction mats for executing moves and tracking changes in game state. That part of the physical design is not just aesthetically pleasing, but very functional and elegant."

From my perspective the fact that war is a path to losing the game since you waste time and resources in combat, yet the big selling point for me was the mechs I passed on the game. Don't show me mechs and then tell me that using them is a bad idea.

The theme is cold war, The mechs are meant as deterrent to conflict on spaces you want to keep.

If you want a combat focused game with minis Blood Rage is pretty decent though has an annoying kickstarter exclusivity thing due to being CMON.
The true answer to combat focused game is of course Kemet.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Flavivirus posted:

Up to you I suppose, but if you're up front with the backers about the costs involved it should be fine. In my case I had 90 people pay £12 now / £4 later + shipping for the softcover and 66 pay £16 now/£7 later + shipping for the hardcover - people are often willing to pay a bit extra to get something nicer, even when they know it's not the best value for money.

true enough. I guess hardcover layout is a bit of extra work if nothing else what with the dust cover and thicker spine and all.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Cerepol posted:

The theme is cold war, The mechs are meant as deterrent to conflict on spaces you want to keep.

You are probably right.

Cerepol posted:

The true answer to combat focused game is of course Kemet.

You are absolutely right.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Indolent Bastard posted:

War is only a path to losing the game if you wage war unwisely. If you pick your targets well it's a big source of points. The real fun comes when you're using workers as meat shields to discourage attack, because that is how you make people lose through their own aggression.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

potatocubed posted:

I'm preparing to launch my very first Kickstarter -- any chance I could get some folk to skim through it and tell me all the horrible mistakes I'm making?

Pigsmoke Kickstarter Preview

It looks neat and I agree with needing a bridge tier between £40 and £100. Also the name's fine; I don't see any issue with it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

For those who didn't see, the Bitbox tester list results are here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EwKkr-oj6jeQ0NY94PSFsjJUoSk3uYiRlnB9dAKQa9Y/edit#gid=0

I got a Regular, Large, and XL because surprisingly very few of the games I own are on this list...and XL is mostly for Cthulhu Wars + expansions.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Zark the Damned posted:

In better minis news, Stonehaven are back at it: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2087444096/stonehavens-giants

I picked up their Halflings and was fairly impressed with the sculpt quality and clean casts so I'll be watching this with interest.

urg I want that gnomish titan.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh poo poo son it's Scion Second Edition!

On the plus side, they're going to actually take the time to describe the setting. Oh, and ten pantheons this time around. And it seems like you can start play as a mortal and get your powers later.

On the downside, the link to the rules preview is broken, so I don't know if the rules are still completely broken.

Also: $85 for the two books you need to play at the actual "Scion: Hero" campaign level.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
The Origin corebook is sort of meant to be useful for playing sort of 'generic urban fantasy' in the Scion setting, which was absolutely a thing people wanted in 1E for some reason?

The basic rule framework for Sardonyx/Storypath/whatever the system is called now seems solid enough, but we'll see what scion-specific tweaks do, I guess.

One change I've heard is that the Greek pantheon ability isn't being generically really good at skills, but is instead called "Metamorphosis" and presumably is about turning yourself into swans or bulls or whatever.

(Also you can basically play Galatea as a Scion- someone who was created instead of being the result of divine/mortal banging.)

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
I just read the Greek Pantheon preview, and not a single prostitute in sight! Metamorphosis looks cooler than Arete did, and they gave each god a good writeup. I can actually imagine wanting to play each of these. Hera is probably the funniest, because she's just super pissed that people are marrying for love and getting divorces and being happy and if she has to be married to Zeus, she doesn't see why other people get to be happy. It's petty and totally in character.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Really, my big questions for Scion 2e are "Is the dice system still ridiculously broken?", "Is Dex still the god stat?", "Are there still useless purviews?", and "does the game realize we don't care about their pregens?".

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

Really, my big questions for Scion 2e are "Is the dice system still ridiculously broken?", "Is Dex still the god stat?", "Are there still useless purviews?", and "does the game realize we don't care about their pregens?".

Dice system seems fixed or at least better. Dice bonuses are called out as being rare.
Dex doesn't govern defense any more, and due to lower dice pools it's probably not god.
Don't know about the purviews, the kickstarter preview only has a few powers from Health, Fire and Wyrd (Norse pantheon power)
Loki pregen is still one of the examples, but we don't know how much they appear in the book this time

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
All of the Greek gods are varying degrees of hosed up. Same with pretty much all pantheons fwiw, but the Greeks really stand out based on how much we know

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Xelkelvos posted:

All of the Greek gods are varying degrees of hosed up. Same with pretty much all pantheons fwiw, but the Greeks really stand out based on how much we know

I always liked the Egyptian pantheon best, since the world's creation myth (Heliopolis) begins with Atum cranking one out to create the world.

Edit: Also Stonehaven miniatures is doing a line of resin giants and huge-sized creatures. I pledged for two, since my D&D group loves their minis for use as player characters.

Weirdo fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 22, 2016

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Weirdo posted:

Edit: Also Stonehaven miniatures is doing a line of resin giants and huge-sized creatures. I pledged for two, since my D&D group loves their minis for use as player characters.

Cat Face Joe posted:

urg I want that gnomish titan.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Join the club.

Just found Cretacea: The game of gargantuan survival, 66 hours to go, and I don't know much about it, but it's a 15mm skirmish wargame about dinosaurs that comes in a ‎£4 PDF with printable dinosaurs for use until you buy proper ones, can someone find me a reason not to like it?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Lemon-Lime posted:

To Wick's credit, 7th Sea 2e has absolutely zero Wickisms in it.

Oh, they're in there, though they're relatively mild compared to Play Dirty.

Well, except for those corruption rules.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh poo poo son it's Scion Second Edition!

On the plus side, they're going to actually take the time to describe the setting. Oh, and ten pantheons this time around. And it seems like you can start play as a mortal and get your powers later.

On the downside, the link to the rules preview is broken, so I don't know if the rules are still completely broken.

Also: $85 for the two books you need to play at the actual "Scion: Hero" campaign level.

Are they still absolutely desecrating Norse mythology?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

inklesspen posted:

Are they still absolutely desecrating Norse mythology?

Nope! The Norse pantheon power is now Wyrd, a fortune telling thing where you cast runes to determine the nature of your destiny

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Neall is going to lengths to try to be respectful of the cultural beliefs the game plays with. He's a pretty good guy.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

That Old Tree posted:

Neall is going to lengths to try to be respectful of the cultural beliefs the game plays with. He's a pretty good guy.

We'll see when we get to the Asian and African pantheons :colbert: :dance:

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Too bad Storypath is a huge pile of poo poo. Would it kill Onyx Path to actually write some decent mechanics to go along with Scion?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

What's the difference between Storypath and the old Storyteller system?

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
So, I only ever half read the original scion corebook. Is "the World" they talk about as a setting distinct from just being the modern world with gods and stuff influencing things behind the scenes? It sounded like there were some differences from the modern world, people generally believing more in things that go bump in the night, yadda yadda. My vague recollection of the old core was that it was one of those "just like our world, but with all this hidden stuff just out of sight". Did that change or get expanded on somehow?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Desiden posted:

So, I only ever half read the original scion corebook. Is "the World" they talk about as a setting distinct from just being the modern world with gods and stuff influencing things behind the scenes? It sounded like there were some differences from the modern world, people generally believing more in things that go bump in the night, yadda yadda. My vague recollection of the old core was that it was one of those "just like our world, but with all this hidden stuff just out of sight". Did that change or get expanded on somehow?

There was an open development thing on it a while back.

http://theonyxpath.com/the-world-scion-second-edition-open-development/

SO basically Kinda yes/kinda no.

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 22, 2016

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Huh, interesting. At least they're attempting to take into account that gods, godlings, and assorted monsters running around all over the place would have some sort of effect on the world. Especially with the whole fatebinding thing.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

dwarf74 posted:

This was notable, though:

New Talislanta. Because everything from the 80's and 90's must return. Yeah, it's awesome, but... every book for every edition has been released for free, no strings attached. (I recommend 4th, btw.)

Would back a new Talislanta, if Jerry D. Grayson and John Harper were involved and it was closer to 4th than 5th.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Sep 22, 2016

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

Join the club.

Oh, I did.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Doodmons posted:

Too bad Storypath is a huge pile of poo poo. Would it kill Onyx Path to actually write some decent mechanics to go along with Scion?

Care to elaborate?

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Could someone who kickstarted Scythe give me their initial impressions of it? They have a second printing coming up soon, and I am considering getting it. I think I would prefer a Goon opinion as opposed to BGG, that audience can be, well, a bit weird.

I've only played it once so I can't offer a super informed opinion about its longevity, but it made a really strong first impression. As others have said, it's an incredibly gorgeous game with absolutely top notch components in both production and design, the more so if you spring for the fancy bits (as I did). It also has some really neat use of said components: deploying mechs simultaneously activates the ability listed under them on your player board, deploying workers reveals increasing cost modifiers on the resource harvesting action, research moves cubes from the top of your board (where they were blocking additional bonuses from the actions there) to the bottom (where they cover up costs on the actions there), etc.

Game-wise, it's pretty Euro-y, but the actual business of taking turns can go pretty fast (deciding what to do is the main time consumer) and there's just enough asymmetry between factions and player boards to keep things interesting. What others have said about the low degree of direct conflict is true, especially at lower player counts where there's room to spread out some, but a certain amount of carefully picked fighting is advantageous from a score perspective, and while resources don't necessarily drive intense expansion, territory control is one of the biggest sources of points so that most certainly does, particularly control over the Factory in the middle.

Like I say, it's too early for me to tell if it's got legs, but I certainly enjoyed that first game.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Kai Tave posted:

Care to elaborate?

I assume it's because it's still trait + trait pools of d10s, but from the system doc they previewed last year it's a better iteration on the creaky old thing than any of the others. TNs change, but only by supernatural type, so all your rolls are like TN 8 as a mortal, or 7 as a pulp action hero, etc. I'm pretty whatever about that. What they teased for specialties was intriguing, because they're special tricks you do at certain success thresholds instead of just +numbers.

As far as WoD derivatives go, I like what I see, but especially with the core game being split into two books I'm not going to be diving in. Demon the Descent was probably my last serious foray into White Wolfian games.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'll be interested in seeing what they do with Aeon, but honestly I'm burnt out in general and they really pissed me off with how they've handled Exalted (note: I have no loving clue if the game is better now, but after the first half of Infernals and the goddamn preview rape charms in 3e and how they didn't immediately go "oops, our bad, everyone involved has been censured" I've written off Onyx Path).

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
To be honest probably the bigger black mark on Onyx Path these days is they greenlit Beast: the Primordial. Exalted's biggest issue at the moment is that it's been literal years now and hardcopies have still failed to manifest. Last I heard the charm cards backers could get have been sent to them but A). there's still no sign of the physical books to use them with and B). the cards themselves are less than useful, with some of them just referring you to the page number in the book to get the complete story which completely defeats the point of a shorthand play aid like that.

Re: Storypath, I'm not trying to suggest that Doodmons is wrong or anything, I legit don't know much about the latest version of the system. His is the first strong opinion I've heard on the subject and for it to be a huge pile of poo poo sounds like something I'd be interested in seeing expounded upon.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Kai Tave posted:

To be honest probably the bigger black mark on Onyx Path these days is they greenlit Beast: the Primordial.

Frankly, I don't think most people get why it was so horrible and is still not good, and delayed book deliveries will always be a higher crime in this hobby.

quote:

Exalted's biggest issue at the moment is that it's been literal years now and hardcopies have still failed to manifest. Last I heard the charm cards backers could get have been sent to them but A). there's still no sign of the physical books to use them with

Updates lately are about getting the different parts made for the super deluxe coup. :shrug:

quote:

and B). the cards themselves are less than useful, with some of them just referring you to the page number in the book to get the complete story which completely defeats the point of a shorthand play aid like that.

If three pages of Wyld-Shaping Technique was acceptable, a card telling you "lol there's no way, see p XX" shouldn't be a big deal. Most of them probably still fit.

quote:

Re: Storypath, I'm not trying to suggest that Doodmons is wrong or anything, I legit don't know much about the latest version of the system. His is the first strong opinion I've heard on the subject and for it to be a huge pile of poo poo sounds like something I'd be interested in seeing expounded upon.

I think the worst case is that it'll just be another WoDdy system, which, eh.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Scion is a great concept for a game but my group and I hated the actual system. We decided any* supers system would be better than running it in Storyteller.

If I suggested it to the group today we'd probably look at something like Fate or Part Time Gods.

*We quickly amended that when the guy in our group who loves HERO suggested that. This was also before we were exposed to more indie/narrative style games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I really liked the concept for Scion back in the day, but upon reading the book I realised that the execution was garbage in pretty much every way. That said, the team they've got lined up for this one is A+ and I'm a total sucker for a god game, so I pitched in for the pdfs.

It doesn't help that I have no idea what the other tiers are getting me. A physical book and the option to buy a physical book at cost? What?

8one6 posted:

We quickly amended that when the guy in our group who loves HERO suggested that. This was also before we were exposed to more indie/narrative style games.

There are very few games I'll flat out reject based on the system, but Hero is one of them.