Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Have there been any rumours of a graaf spee premium at all? the recent 1:42 vid on hms ajax makes me wonder if there'll be some kind of battle of river plate special with the launch of the RN cruisers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Not yet, no

I'm so incredibly tired of trying to turn the Nagato into a decent ship that I'm considering blowing all 60k of my free xp on getting the Amagi, but before I do I want to know if the Amagi is more like the excellent Fuso it shares turret numbers with, or more like the Kongo and Nagato that share the battlecruiser title/traits?

I really want to get an Izumo, but this grind is a total buzzkill

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Sep 23, 2016

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Not yet, no

I'm so incredibly tired of trying to turn the Nagato into a decent ship that I'm considering blowing all 60k of my free xp on getting the Amagi, but before I do I want to know if the Amagi is more like the excellent Fuso it shares turret numbers with, or more like the Kongo and Nagato that share the battlecruiser title/traits?

I really want to get an Izumo, but this grind is a total buzzkill

Another incorrect opinion on a loving fantastic ship. The Nagato is amazing, and even more so with the current MM rules it can take advantage of. I would take it over the Colorado any day (better speed and slightly more accurate guns) and its touch and go with the Gneisenau. And this is my opinion from playing the Nagato in its currently bugged state, its getting an armour buff in the next patch which should narrow the survivability gap to the Colorado. The changes to DD armour may also be an indirect buff to the Nagato's AP secondaries (tbh I am not spergy enough to know if that's true but that's how I read it when I glanced at the changes).

On the flipside, the Amagi used to be the best T8 BB but now its definately not. Its still a fantastic ship but no question the Bismarck, Tirpitz and buffed NC are all better currently.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
All the Shimakaze talk seems to be ignoring the fact its getting a huge RoF buff in the next patch. If everything else stays the same (inc Khab nerfs) it could come out of the patch as the best T10 DD.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

kaesarsosei posted:

Another incorrect opinion on a loving fantastic ship. The Nagato is amazing, and even more so with the current MM rules it can take advantage of. I would take it over the Colorado any day (better speed and slightly more accurate guns) and its touch and go with the Gneisenau. And this is my opinion from playing the Nagato in its currently bugged state, its getting an armour buff in the next patch which should narrow the survivability gap to the Colorado. The changes to DD armour may also be an indirect buff to the Nagato's AP secondaries (tbh I am not spergy enough to know if that's true but that's how I read it when I glanced at the changes).

On the flipside, the Amagi used to be the best T8 BB but now its definately not. Its still a fantastic ship but no question the Bismarck, Tirpitz and buffed NC are all better currently.

Nagato guns are not more accurate than the Colorado, and the Nagato speed advantage is not an advantage when the ship has no worthwhile armour. Tier 7 is a competition between Gneisenau and Colorado, in terms of can the Colorado do enough damage before the Gneisenau gets in secondary range, Nagato isn't even in the picture.

Looks like my Izumo is a long way off then :sigh:

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

One of these days my Midway secondaries will score a kill. One day...

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

You need to start brawling more scrub :colbert:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

I've seen the 5" gun on a Bogue do it before, the Midway can do it too

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I should totally get the secondary battery focus skill on my midway.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

kaesarsosei posted:

The Nagato is funny in that it has both buggy citadel armor which makes it easier to citadel from certain angles and also has just plain wrong armor where they simply forgot to give it the upgraded version after a conversion. Fixed armor should make it even more of a beast.

NTrabbit while you are again completely wrong about the Nagato, you wouldn't be able to like the Amagi either if you can't play the Nagato.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

I've seen the 5" gun on a Bogue do it before, the Midway can do it too

My last Close Quarters Expert ribbon came in my Zuiho, and it was Only a Flesh Wound too, to rub salt in the Cleveland's wounds as it were.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Pop quiz: You're in a cruiser with torpedoes and a Japanese destroyer pops up close to you. What do you do? If you answered "Turn broadside on and line up the perfect torpedo strike on the destroyer", then congratulations, you win all the torpedoes your flimsy hull can take.

loving retards :argh:

(Yes, I did get sunk by a Jap DD that survived a close encounter with a cruiser that didn't use it's guns)

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

kaesarsosei posted:

My last Close Quarters Expert ribbon came in my Zuiho, and it was Only a Flesh Wound too, to rub salt in the Cleveland's wounds as it were.

It's always the low health DDs in tier 4-6 battles that decide to go and hunt carriers solo. I've killed at least one of these over-eager rascals with the secondaries on a Hosho.

Won a bit of a strange game in my Zuiho last night by timeout at 930 to 928 with the enemy holding 2/3 zones on Fault Line. By all rights the enemy should have had it if not for their reluctance to actually cap anything after my team melted. I guess sinking the Kongo and Furutaka that rushed up the middle to find me put the fear in them or something (hint: if you've just been flooded and you see more bombers launching from the CV 10km away from you, you should probably save that damage control team). The other CV and I just sneaked around the top of the map hiding from the swarm of somewhat depleted torpedo and bomber squadrons sent to find us, praying that we would maintain the points advantage long enough after that. Had the other carriers focused their fighters on defending their own team's ships rather than their strike planes they probably would have left us powerless pretty early on.

Nice to have a CV game that wasn't just made up of snipe/counter-snipe attempts though.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Well, it really depends. If the battleship was still at near full health when it got flooded, or the flooding had run through most of its duration before the damage control party was used, then you're right, it probably should have been saved. On the other hand, flooding is also far more dangerous than fires, along with crippling your mobility to avoid any further strikes, so chancing a fire or two (singular IJN dive bomber squads are hardly guaranteed one) to get rid of flooding immediately is not exactly the worst idea. Especially since many CV players will just circle with the DBs if the ship doesn't use its damage control, letting that flooding damage burn through health very quickly.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Lord Koth posted:

Well, it really depends. If the battleship was still at near full health when it got flooded, or the flooding had run through most of its duration before the damage control party was used, then you're right, it probably should have been saved. On the other hand, flooding is also far more dangerous than fires, along with crippling your mobility to avoid any further strikes, so chancing a fire or two (singular IJN dive bomber squads are hardly guaranteed one) to get rid of flooding immediately is not exactly the worst idea. Especially since many CV players will just circle with the DBs if the ship doesn't use its damage control, letting that flooding damage burn through health very quickly.

Question about the damage model. Is flooding damage exacerbated by speed after damage? That's how it works (sort of) in real life, but I always assumed the damage model was "arcade" and this wasn't the case in-game, but I have no real idea if that assumption is correct.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

ZombieLenin posted:

Question about the damage model. Is flooding damage exacerbated by speed after damage? That's how it works (sort of) in real life, but I always assumed the damage model was "arcade" and this wasn't the case in-game, but I have no real idea if that assumption is correct.

It isn't affected, or at least it wasn't in beta. I tested it quite a bit.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Vengarr posted:

Good to know. Its been bothering me for awhile not knowing.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Have there been any rumours of a graaf spee premium at all? the recent 1:42 vid on hms ajax makes me wonder if there'll be some kind of battle of river plate special with the launch of the RN cruisers

I would buy this in a second, even if it cost $100.

Going back to a previous conversation, I wonder if it has ever occurred to Wargaming to split the Cruiser or Battleship lines to include Battlecruisers as a separate ship class. There is a lot of both historical and paper fodder across all the current nations (and many more) to support it if they chose to.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Vengarr posted:

Confirmed, it's not speed dependent. I think there might have been something in Alpha when they were throwing poo poo at the wall to see what stuck, but either way it got abandoned because that wouldn't be fun.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Flooding itselfs drops the speed and maneuverability considerably when active so it is sort of modeled.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

Nagato guns are not more accurate than the Colorado, and the Nagato speed advantage is not an advantage when the ship has no worthwhile armour. Tier 7 is a competition between Gneisenau and Colorado, in terms of can the Colorado do enough damage before the Gneisenau gets in secondary range, Nagato isn't even in the picture.

The opposite of this post is true, and if you dislike the Nagato, the Amagi is simply a bigger Nagato

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

Lord Koth posted:

Yeah as with anything in this game the correct response is very situation-dependent. In the Kongo in question's case though, had they eaten a little more flood damage waiting for my bombers they probably could have shot me to death, luckily they did not!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So apparently the bow armor nerf isn't going to happen. Not sure how I feel about that.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

wdarkk posted:

So apparently the bow armor nerf isn't going to happen. Not sure how I feel about that.

I really wish they would substantially improve accuracy against stationary or reversing targets. Come on, they're dead in the water, even my highschool dropout gunnery officer should be able to do the math here! It would make aiming for the superstructure of bow-on campers a lot more viable.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

wdarkk posted:

It doesn't really fix what the devs are trying to obtain though. I watched that dev diary celebrating 1 years, and they mentioned that their desire is a more 10-12km fights instead of the 20km fights that happen now. That was kind of the point of taking the bow armor off, but it didn't help since pubbies just got even more timid about committing that close.

Edit: x2 commander xp weekend for tiers 4+ on wins. I guess I'll be burning dragon flags this weekend :getin:

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 23, 2016

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

wdarkk posted:

Given that it was a massive buff to the Kurfurst (and somewhat to the Friedrich) which they really didn't need, ALONG with actually making the current meta issues even worse? I feel pretty good.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Pacra posted:

The opposite of this post is true, and if you dislike the Nagato, the Amagi is simply a bigger Nagato

Yeah if NTRabbit is worried about the lack of armor on the Nagato, he's going to hate the Amagi.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

El Disco posted:

Yeah if NTRabbit is worried about the lack of armor on the Nagato, he's going to hate the Amagi.

I don't get his hatred of the Nagato. I mostly play premium ships with the one major exception being the Nagato. It's amazing.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

NTR seeks wrong like water seeks level.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Vengarr posted:

I really wish they would substantially improve accuracy against stationary or reversing targets. Come on, they're dead in the water, even my highschool dropout gunnery officer should be able to do the math here! It would make aiming for the superstructure of bow-on campers a lot more viable.

Your ship is still moving in 3 dimensions tho, so there'll still be a source of error there.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Minenfeld! posted:

I don't get his hatred of the Nagato. I mostly play premium ships with the one major exception being the Nagato. It's amazing.

The main guns spray like a drunk at a urinal even with the dispersion mod, the AA is really bad, and it can't take a hit at all from any angle, so to make use of the ok but not outstanding secondaries it's known for against anything other than lone, unlucky destroyers, you have to expose yourself to a level of abuse that will certainly sink you. Without having driven it, the Gneisenau appears to do everything that Nagato does except better, and having already driven it the Colorado is just straight up and down better at doing everything a battleship is meant to be doing, plus it's a lot of fun.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

And that's what happens when your entire team completely ignores a Kirov for the whole match. My only regret is that I did not have a 50% EXP flag active.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Just stop playing the Japanese. You won't like the Amagi, I have no idea how you managed to like the Fuso, you don't have a snowballs hope in hell of figuring out the Izumo and while the Yamato is pretty solid it's citadel does sit fairly high up which would probably prove extremely bad for you.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

The main guns spray like a drunk at a urinal even with the dispersion mod ... Without having driven it, the Gneisenau appears to do everything that Nagato does except better

The main guns on the Gneisenau have worse dispersion and fewer barrels.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

NTRabbit posted:

Just FYI, the Nagato's armor is bugged right now.
Also the Nagato is a fantastic ship and if you don't like the Nagato, well I have bad news for you...
the Amagi's armor is thinner

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
On the Test Server DDs can now also can mount that -40% rudder shift module which was added for cruisers.

My Khabarovsk is now even more slippery than before.

Also, the economy changes are great. Just lost a T10 game which I barely survived and still made 70k.

quote:

Economic changes announced in the development bulletin will be included in full. However, in addition, an experimental system for calculating the costs per battle was implemented. The biggest part of the costs is ship’s repairs. Its influence was growing more and more with the rise of the tier. As a result, at tier X, the economy forced the players to behave with maximum caution, which negatively affected the dynamics of the battle. After all, even with significant combat success, a complete destruction of the ship led to a huge repair bill that could completely neutralize the profits. We decided to change this situation and make the following changes:

The fee for the ship repair is now completely replaced by a fixed service charge. This means that the cost will not depend on how much damage a player has received. Moreover, we have reduced the cost of replenishing the ammunition (or air group) for a number of ships. The positive effect of the changes will increase with increasing tiers of the ships. This means that the players may try a more aggressive and risky playing style. The “to play with maximum efficiency at any cost, even being destroyed in battle” tactic will be an alternative to the “to play as carefully as possible so as not to come out of the battle with negative balance because of the repair costs” tactic. For example, the change will reduce the spending of tier X ships by an average of 50 000 credits and reduce the number of situations where you can go into negative with a premium account, having played effectively. We want to free the gameplay from the “not-gaming” question of “how much I will lose if dare to attack?”

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 23, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

The repair cost should be flat removed in favor of a charge for surviving a loss without having done sufficient damage, and maybe even count damage take towards that.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Astroniomix posted:

and while the Yamato is pretty solid

"pretty solid" huh?

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Being punished for being useless is an idea I can get behind.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hammerstein posted:

On the Test Server DDs can now also can mount that -40% rudder shift module which was added for cruisers.

My Khabarovsk is now even more slippery than before.

Also, the economy changes are great. Just lost a T10 game which I barely survived and still made 70k.

You know, a lot of the design changes they're making sound good. If Steel Ocean ever actually dies this stuff might bring me back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I think the Panzerschiff would be pretty fun ships. Their real life speed wasn't that fast though. Not sure how people are going to like having a two-turreted Tier VI or VII cruiser that goes under 30 knots.

Also, re: Sims chat, I've been running with the 5.5 km torps and DE instead of AFT so a smaller to non-existent stealth firing zone. I might have to rethink the 9 km torps for area denial and smoke screen blind firing.