Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Golden Bee posted:

Like Urban Shadows, Masks is mechanically solid and taking forever. Read the G+ page to get a link to the backerkit, but it's still not published.

Is there still no PDF options?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
If I wanted to run a less-powered Monster of the Week campaign (inspired by Stranger Things and teen horror movies rather than Supernatural) with young adult or late teenage protagonists, what would be some good ways of modifying the playbooks to match the adjusted theme?

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

If I wanted to run a less-powered Monster of the Week campaign (inspired by Stranger Things and teen horror movies rather than Supernatural) with young adult or late teenage protagonists, what would be some good ways of modifying the playbooks to match the adjusted theme?

Not much that I can think of, things are prettty low-powered to start. Remember that early Supernatural was pretty low-powered, and the game was originally written a while ago. Maybe limit some of the crazier playbooks (Monstrous, Divine), maybe cut the amount of luck, but generally, it should work pretty well.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I've been working on the tenth draft. One of the biggest things I added was annotations explaining how to use the basic and battle moves to their fullest effect. I'm wondering if this is useful or not.

You can find them with the Basic Moves and Battle Moves hyperlinks in the table of contents.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Ominous Jazz posted:

Is there still no PDF options?

There is as of a day or two ago.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Hey guys, I've eyed-over the Joined from the Masks expansions, and I've been forewarned they're a bit OP. I can kinda see it, even without playing it; they have five moves, and get an adult move at chargen. What nerfs would make it less ridiculous?

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
I'm working on a relationship system for a game about people united by shared traumatic experiences involving the supernatural and wanted to see whether it made sense outside my head, so I'm putting down the skeleton of it here.

When the game starts, every PC describes the way they act towards / feel about every other PC, and everyone writes down the way everyone else feels about them in a sentence or two; their relationships, described this way, are called ties. For example, in a game with PCs Alice, Bob and Carol, Alice might have on her sheet the ties "Bob is protective of me, sometimes even stifling" and "Carol thinks I'm better than I am." Likewise, Bob has "Alice thinks I worry too much" and "Carol says I'm doing the wrong thing," and Carol has "Alice is a good person, and I know she'll do right by me" and "Bob's heading down a bad road and needs to get his head out of his rear end."

There are moves that exploit ties; the basic move that does this is called tug at the heartstrings. When Bob tells Alice that she has to stay behind because it's Too Dangerous, she can use "Bob is protective of me, sometimes even stifling" and say "look, you're way too concerned over nothing, if you keep coddling me like this I might just have to stop listening to you completely." That lets her impose some kind of mechanical pressure on Bob -- i.e. having to make a "hold steady/act under fire"-type roll not to give up his argument, or handing over 1 forward to her to act against him if he doesn't comply, or taking stress/conditions... or whatever other concession.

At the end of a scene where a character uses tug at the heartstrings, the PC who was subject to the move -- i.e. Bob -- tells the PC who used it -- i.e. Alice -- whether they think the move used or abused their tie. If Bob thinks that Alice was just trying to assert independence, as people sometimes have to do, he says that she used their tie. Then she can offer him an EXP to rewrite the tie, in which case he might say "Bob is worried about me, but he's trying to give me some room to breathe," or they can just leave the relationship as-is. On the other hand, if Bob feels that Alice was coercing him into letting her do what she wanted with an implicit threat, he says that she abused their tie and rewrites it however he likes -- which, given that she abused it, is probably something like "Bob doesn't trust me even slightly" or "Bob says I can do what I want, but he's not lifting a finger to help me." This limits the way she can use the tie -- she probably can't use the latter to ask Bob for help, for example, whereas she could use it that way before. The tie still exists, though, and there are contexts, other moves, etc. in which it can be used or changed. (These can be more specific -- "Bob is protective" might become "I'm just Bob's surrogate for his dead daughter," "Alice is a good person" might become "Alice is self-righteous but doesn't come through when it counts," etc.)

At the furthest extreme, a PC can cut ties with someone -- saying, in effect, "I am making an explicit effort to boot you out of my life." If you cut ties with someone, you remove your tie on them, so you can't influence them through it; if you can keep it up long enough, you cease to have a relationship at all, and they lose their tie on you. Breaking ties fuels your powers -- power comes from isolation -- but it also makes you a less stable person in the long run.

Any gigantic glaring flaws I've missed?

Poltergrift fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 16, 2016

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

You might want to use Troublemakers, a game about kids getting into spooky stuff.

spectralent posted:

Hey guys, I've eyed-over the Joined from the Masks expansions, and I've been forewarned they're a bit OP. I can kinda see it, even without playing it; they have five moves, and get an adult move at chargen. What nerfs would make it less ridiculous?

Well, any playbook where you have two people can be OP if you gang up. But as a GM, I'd portray the downsides of being two people; whenever they're not together, no superpowers.

If you can't find a way to give teens hard choices about their friendships...

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

spectralent posted:

It's still in playtesting, so they'll likely fix it. But my opinion might be to fix the Bonds and/or give them reasons to want to be apart.

Golden Bee posted:

Well, any playbook where you have two people can be OP if you gang up. But as a GM, I'd portray the downsides of being two people; whenever they're not together, no superpowers.

If you can't find a way to give teens hard choices about their friendships...

Well, the Bonds are only usable when they're together so that's already a part of it. And my reading of them is that you aren't making multiple rolls to do things - you still just make one roll but your Bonds give you a bonus for being two people.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Anyone aware of a playbook for any of the more classic pbta systems that might make for a good mcguyver type character? Someone who finds baking soda, a tyre hub, and a can of peaches and makes a powered grappling hook from it and that's kind of his entire schtick.

Just looking for some inspiration for my horrible hack/bodgejob.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

ShineDog posted:

Anyone aware of a playbook for any of the more classic pbta systems that might make for a good mcguyver type character? Someone who finds baking soda, a tyre hub, and a can of peaches and makes a powered grappling hook from it and that's kind of his entire schtick.

Just looking for some inspiration for my horrible hack/bodgejob.

I'd say look at the Savvyhead (from AW), the Expert (from MotW), and the Veteran (from Urban Shadows) for inspiration. None of them have only that, but a lot of them have degrees of MacGuyver to them. Also, take the idea from a lot of the Armory-style moves and benefits, which pop up in a lot more playbooks.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Most of my playbooks so far are horrible mashups of other peoples stuff so far, so maybe I can mash the pertinent parts of these 3 together.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
While you're mashing things together, I think there's an engineer archetype in the Sprawl too.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

potatocubed posted:

While you're mashing things together, I think there's an engineer archetype in the Sprawl too.

The technician but its pretty much a savvyhead as far as what you're looking for.

The Soldier in the sprawl has 'I love it when a plan comes together' which I think would pair well with a macguyver type

You might check out inverse world:
The Mechanic is basically iron man, but there's a few good 'tinker with poo poo' moves too.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Well, he's certainly going to have a "produce relevant item" move called plot device, whatever else he ends up having.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Just a head's up: DriveThru is having a big ol' sale on PbtA games and supplements.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
So I like the concept but it seems too broad and easily abused. Help me tweak a thing for snooty scientist playbook.

Amateurs!
When you take a moment to study the enemy’s technology and its construction, sneer, describe what you recognize, why it’s bad, and hold 1

You may spend this hold later to
o Actively provoke a spectacular failure
o Find a weakness in their armour. Ignore 2 armour
o Find a way inside, or outside
o Avoid the technology’s effects

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Maybe change the trigger, so something like "When you study the plans or inner workings of a piece of enemy technology, hold 1. Spend this hold to smugly reveal a weakness or flaw in that tech and choose one: etc." Then it requires some setup and provides a built-in plot hook (how do we get the blueprints to that robot?).

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Has anyone tried out Uncharted Worlds? Worth picking up for 6$?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

ShineDog posted:

So I like the concept but it seems too broad and easily abused. Help me tweak a thing for snooty scientist playbook.

Amateurs!
When you take a moment to study the enemy’s technology and its construction, sneer, describe what you recognize, why it’s bad, and hold 1

You may spend this hold later to
o Actively provoke a spectacular failure
o Find a weakness in their armour. Ignore 2 armour
o Find a way inside, or outside
o Avoid the technology’s effects

I had a similar move in my Cryptozoologist playbook for MOTW:

Back off Man, I'm a Scientist The scientific study of monsters gives you great insight into their behavior. After finding physical evidence of the monster or hearing a detailed eyewitness account of it, you can form a hypothesis about its behavior. Roll +Sharp.

On a 10+, ask two questions, On a 7-9, ask one question. On a 6-, you get to ask two questions, but the answer to one of them is incorrect or misleading.

• What is the monster's main method of attack?
• What role does it play in the local ecosystem- failing that, what does it eat?
• What environment would the monster prefer to den in?
• What are its natural enemies?
• What is one of the monster's special powers?
• Is the monster nesting/caring for young?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

neaden posted:

Has anyone tried out Uncharted Worlds? Worth picking up for 6$?

I prefer impulse drive. They both have too many basic moves but uw takes a really long view of things I don't personally grok. Less "roll and trade harm" more "roll and win the battle"

ForgedIron
Oct 15, 2013

Deez Nutz
Hello, I am trying to put together my own PbtA hack. I'm looking to make something horror themed. To be honest I want to be able to simulate the worlds of Darksouls/ Bloodborne. Not mechanically of course, but the themes of desperate people attempting to face outrageous odds. Literally fighting against despair (Darksouls) or being roped into facing eldritch threats (bloodborne). My first bit of inspiration was Monster of the Week. I'm looking for other good hacks that deal with horror, chases, combat, insanity.

I'm still working on defining the basic moves so that I can distill some lables from that.

One aspect I am working on is having every player generate a "Threat" threats have their own playbooks and represent the major adversarial forces the narrator can use. Threats will modify basic moves/add their own, while Also supplying new Hard Moves to the narrator. I'm also considering having every Threat playbook have a selection of moves that the players can take representing their connection to the threat. Current threat playbooks are "Infection", "Predator", "Nemesis" etc etc.

I'm still putting most of my ideas to paper, but I'm hoping I can get some help with inspiration.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

...Hey. How well would WWW reskin from rasslin' to fightan games? Something like Tekken, say.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Siivola posted:

...Hey. How well would WWW reskin from rasslin' to fightan games? Something like Tekken, say.

The thing is, World Wide Wrestling very explicitly models professional wrestling. That is to say, it's about wrestlers in a ring trying to make the audience interested in themselves and their rivalries and the winner is determined by the people setting up matches and not the people wrestling. There's some alternate rules in International Incident that let things work in a less predetermined way, but WWW by default doesn't really work for things that aren't booked the way wrestling is.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Siivola posted:

It'd suffer since it is so engrained in the meta of wrestling. You're not trying to win fights, for examples. All the fights are pre-booked. You're trying to generate the most heat by working with your opponent so that your audience goes up. And that's not getting into the many other things that focus the game on the realities of a television pro-wrestling career. It would require much, much more of a reskin to do fighting games: it would require rebuilding it from the ground-up.

I seem to remember a game called FIGHT! trying to be fighting games. I don't remember its quality and it definitely wasn't PbtA, but it might be more akin to what you want.

Also, despite what I said, I still highly recommend world wide wrestling as it is an excellent game that gets what it means to be a wrestler so well it's unbelievable.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Given how stupid fighting game storylines are I could super see it working as just a "it turns out all these fights are faked and they're basically wrestlers who fight with magic and ki" reskin.

But if you want it to model fights where victory is based on skill rather then the storyline, WWW is wrong.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

ForgedIron posted:

Hello, I am trying to put together my own PbtA hack. I'm looking to make something horror themed. To be honest I want to be able to simulate the worlds of Darksouls/ Bloodborne. Not mechanically of course, but the themes of desperate people attempting to face outrageous odds. Literally fighting against despair (Darksouls) or being roped into facing eldritch threats (bloodborne). My first bit of inspiration was Monster of the Week. I'm looking for other good hacks that deal with horror, chases, combat, insanity.

I'm still working on defining the basic moves so that I can distill some lables from that.

One aspect I am working on is having every player generate a "Threat" threats have their own playbooks and represent the major adversarial forces the narrator can use. Threats will modify basic moves/add their own, while Also supplying new Hard Moves to the narrator. I'm also considering having every Threat playbook have a selection of moves that the players can take representing their connection to the threat. Current threat playbooks are "Infection", "Predator", "Nemesis" etc etc.

I'm still putting most of my ideas to paper, but I'm hoping I can get some help with inspiration.

Cold Ruins of Lastlife is a Dungeon World setting/supplement that pretty much hacks Dungeon World to do Dark Souls. I don't think it is perfect for what you want, but it might give you some ideas.

A while back, I also wrote some moves for Dungeon World that were trying to evoke the flow of Dark Souls combat. That is here.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Oh, I didn't grok how far WWW goes in modeling wrestling matches. Thanks, all.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Anything new to add to the OP that I don't know about?

I know to add Impulse Drive there. Kept slipping my mind to do so, but are there any other PbtA titles I should put on the big board?

Tulpa
Aug 8, 2014
Epyllion came out.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I'm going to link a pdf soon instead of just blatting moves at you, but for now - does this seem OK for the rogue/adventurer type?

You all know exactly the two Harrison Ford scenes I'm referring to, but I'm a little concerned about how scene specific it is to be making a move out of it.

Shoots first
o When your enemy is posturing or showing off, just blast them! Inflict your danger, no roll needed.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Okay, added Epyllion, Impulse Drive, and Headspace. Any other games I've missed?

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Covok posted:

Any other games I've missed?

Grim World (plus Magpie Games' trilogy of Anglekite / Lastlife / Varkith supplements, which basically are Dying Earth/Dark Souls/Sigil, respectively)?
ed: Also City of Mist from all over the previous page.

Foglet fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Sep 23, 2016

Covok
May 27, 2013

Foglet posted:

Grim World (plus Magpie Games' trilogy of Anglekite / Lastlife / Varkith supplements, which basically are Dying Earth/Dark Souls/Sigil, respectively)?
ed: Also City of Mist from all over the previous page.

I'll add Grim World and City of Mist, but I'm iffy of that trilogy if only because they're DW supplements, not full games. Actually, isn't Grim World a DW supplement?

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

Covok posted:

I'll add Grim World and City of Mist, but I'm iffy of that trilogy if only because they're DW supplements, not full games. Actually, isn't Grim World a DW supplement?

Yeah, they all are supplements. Didn't mean to merit their inclusion as full entries, but rather as a line of text within the DW entry perhaps. Or not at all, the OP's yours to decide after all :)

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Grim World is absolutely a dungeon world supplement, yes.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Foglet posted:

Yeah, they all are supplements. Didn't mean to merit their inclusion as full entries, but rather as a line of text within the DW entry perhaps. Or not at all, the OP's yours to decide after all :)

No worries. My only worry about allowing supplements is that there are SO MANY DW ones that it'd be a pain in the arse to add them all in and it might hide some lesser known entries that don't have as much exposure as DW

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.
Speaking of which, I totally recommend The 'Hood aka Guy Ritchie's Crime Comedy: The RPG.
And I'm not so sure about Cartel, it looks to still be in development.

ed: While I'm at it, The Warren aka Watership Downs: The RPG and Deniable aka British Spy TV Series: The RPG.

Foglet fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Sep 23, 2016

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
There's also Velvet Glove, the game of teenage girl rebellion in the 1970s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

Flavivirus posted:

There's also Velvet Glove, the game of teenage girl rebellion in the 1970s.

Yeah, I left it out 'cause it seems to have the same status as Cartel, i.e. "preview edition".