Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
nami can have additional tragic backstory, but nami was too young to witness the events so it'd have to be through the voice of someone else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
I'm sick of flashbacks. They're always miserable seem to constant slow down arcs right in the middle of something interesting. When it comes to the Strawhats, after Sanji's flashback I think only Brook has any history worth touching on that may be relevant in the present. I just want Oda to keep focusing on the progressing through the New World because that's what I find most interesting.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Flashbacks in one piece give some huge worldbuilding and lore boosts, so I hope they stay forever

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Some of the flashbacks take too long and slow things down, but some of them are also rad, like the Fisher Tiger one being just straight-up the best part of Fishman Island

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Some of the flashbacks take too long and slow things down, but some of them are also rad, like the Fisher Tiger one being just straight-up the best part of Fishman Island

fisher tiger is the coolest char in one piece

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

I for one can't wait for the catharsis of Sanji shoving his burning foot through his father's face.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Only if it's the last face he hits after going through his brothers.

Edit: in descending order.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

So how about that Extreme Butoden Great Pirate Colosseum Extreme Butoden?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rJfH0xtiL8

They really put no effort whatsoever into this one, huh.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I still like the contrast between Big Mom's realm and Germa 66. Even just aesthetically: Candy Land is in the process of securing an alliance with the Nazis. That's crazy!

I like that Oda is remembering to set up a redemption story before it happens with Sanji's sister. People like Robin, Vivi, and Franky to a degree were really into their villain personas before going, "wait, I was just pretending," and acting completely differently. Reiju... has not been good to Sanji, and so far has been another shade of hosed up, but you can see there might be a good person under there. Unlike his brothers.

I wonder if she'll take over Germa 66 after this arc, and convert it into something humane (and a Strawhat ally), or if the whole rotten edifice will need to be torn down.

I also wonder if she's going to be the one to free Sanji, and if so does that mean that Sanji's attitudes towards women are the result of being brought up in a ridiculously toxic male environment where the only shred of compassion he was shown was by his sister? You know, as opposed to dumb lust like we all assumed. That would be a twist.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

So how about that Extreme Butoden Great Pirate Colosseum Extreme Butoden?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rJfH0xtiL8

They really put no effort whatsoever into this one, huh.
Hey now, they put at least as much effort into it as they put into the animation for the anime.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Don't they have better art they could use for the screen flashes? The one for choppers monster point is silly looking.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Eiba posted:

You know, as opposed to dumb lust like we all assumed. That would be a twist.
The stuff with him getting heart eyes and gross faces towards women is most definitely lust. His chivalry on the other hand could be because of his sister.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Captain Invictus posted:

The stuff with him getting heart eyes and gross faces towards women is most definitely lust. His chivalry on the other hand could be because of his sister.

It looks like it probably has to do with his mom, being the only one of the siblings cooking for others which his dad implied was something his mom did. Though if his sister gets hurt helping him escape, I could see that triggering his extreme chivalry.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Figured out why Sanji is weaker than his siblings

Sanji was switched at birth with Killer of the Kid Pirates

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Figured out why Sanji is weaker than his siblings

Sanji was switched at birth with Killer of the Kid Pirates

I wouldn't call Sanji totally normal. He can light his foot on fire with passion. I think all the enhancements gave him a super spirit instead.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Sub Harrison posted:

I wouldn't call Sanji totally normal. He can light his foot on fire with passion. I think all the enhancements gave him a super spirit instead.

I think Oda might be taking a page from MGS and Sanji got all the recessive genes which should make him weaker than his siblings but he still overcomes his shortcomings through willpower and experience

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Holy poo poo do I want Sanji to beat his family to death.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

sanji's just a late bloomer

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Broseph Brostar posted:

I think Oda might be taking a page from MGS and Sanji got all the recessive genes which should make him weaker than his siblings but he still overcomes his shortcomings through willpower and experience
I would actually be okay with this arc turning into Liquid SnakeVinsmoke's Revenge.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Eiba posted:

I like that Oda is remembering to set up a redemption story before it happens with Sanji's sister. People like Robin, Vivi, and Franky to a degree were really into their villain personas before going, "wait, I was just pretending," and acting completely differently. Reiju... has not been good to Sanji, and so far has been another shade of hosed up, but you can see there might be a good person under there. Unlike his brothers.

Vivi was so into her villain persona that it made her look several years older than she actually was until her identity was revealed, heh.

Though I think Oda did a decent job with Robin.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i hope the germa 66 go up vinsmoke

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Wow, I never really thought about it, but the Franky we know now, who cries at his opponent's stories and fights in a manly but respectful way seems like he would never beat up a stranger and steal his money to buy wood.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

anime was right posted:

oh yeah so the other thing is i bet the reason you can make a zillion zoan devil fruits is basically you make a slightly different model of the version by inventing a slightly new species.

Basically confirmed. Just got to the end of Punk Hazard arc in the official translation and Ceasar outright says that the breakthrough in creating Smiles was when Vegapunk discovered the "Lineage Factor".

Advice posted:

Wow, I never really thought about it, but the Franky we know now, who cries at his opponent's stories and fights in a manly but respectful way seems like he would never beat up a stranger and steal his money to buy wood.

Well, it was his men that beat up Usopp, not Franky. And they mugged a pirate, who are generally lovely people that deserve to be beaten and robbed. The Strawhats are an anomaly.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

anime was right posted:

oh yeah so the other thing is i bet the reason you can make a zillion zoan devil fruits is basically you make a slightly different model of the version by inventing a slightly new species.

Just like real life plant breeding (and plant patenting) so it checks out.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Last Celebration posted:

The whole reason he became a bounty hunter was because he couldn't find his way back to his dojo, so the whole getting lost thing isn't new.

True, but I wouldn't necessarily fault him for that considering the vastness of the ocean and the fact that he's not a navigator. He was able to find his way around islands and stuff fine though (not that they went many places in East Blue), but once he got the sword, poo poo started going off the rails and he'd end up downstream away from the Merry on Drum or outside Alubarna in the middle of finding the bomb and poo poo like that.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Didn't the sword get destroyed when a vice-admiral rusted it at the climax of Enies Lobby?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Didn't the sword get destroyed when a vice-admiral rusted it at the climax of Enies Lobby?

I thought that was the family heirloom sword that the shopkeep gave him when he took the cursed one.

The Range
Sep 20, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Gyges posted:

I thought that was the family heirloom sword that the shopkeep gave him when he took the cursed one.

Behold the face of SATAN!

*Modsnip so nobody has to scroll through all this garbage.*

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Sep 23, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hell, same

Somebody fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Sep 23, 2016

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

You don't have to type out "the seven heads of babylon the whore," you can just write shichibukai, we'll know what you're talking about

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
My favourite seven heads of babylon the whore is Bisoromi Bear-sama, or maybe Tanjiahdo Lofulamingo

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

The Range posted:

Behold the face of SATAN!

*Modsnip so nobody has to scroll through all this garbage.*

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

....Simply breathtaking

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I wonder if the Will of D is related to the Lineage Factor.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The 'lineage factor' is literally just DNA.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

So the Will of D(NA) then.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Will this arc finally explain how most OP humans can take multiple stab wounds and lose litres of blood at a time?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Broseph Brostar posted:

But Liquid didn't have recessive genes?

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Gyges posted:

That's right. Sandai Kitetsu is the cursed sword and Yubashiri was the heirloom sword that was destroyed at Enies Lobby. I'd say the gag with Zoro's sense of direction is more a coincidence than anything because he didn't really have a chance to get lost prior to obtaining Sandai Kitetsu. It's likely that it was simply magnified by Oda from that point on as a quirk as the crew was fleshed out.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Green Intern posted:

But Liquid didn't have recessive genes?

Lmao look at this scrub. What's a matter punk, too weak to save Meryl?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Shoren posted:

I'm sick of flashbacks. They're always miserable seem to constant slow down arcs right in the middle of something interesting. When it comes to the Strawhats, after Sanji's flashback I think only Brook has any history worth touching on that may be relevant in the present. I just want Oda to keep focusing on the progressing through the New World because that's what I find most interesting.

"Hey Luffy, I never mentioned this once before but my mother was secretly the most beloved queen of the next island we're going to, and the reason she was sick was because the big bad of that island poisoned her. My mom had a magical ability to make all her lies eventually come true."