Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

v1ld posted:

Call of Chernobyl. You're probably best of waiting until the new 1.4 release drops, it promises a lot of new improvements as well as a minimalist story mode to drive you through the maps if you want. That release may be as soon as next week if one of the devs is accurate in their statement.

If you want to try it right now, the 1.4RC version in addons has better missions than the released 1.3.20 version but also comes with a few bugs. I get crashes every hour or so, but still prefer it to 1.3.20.

For guns, I find the STCoP addon better quality overall than AO3 but that's subjective.

Finally got around to loading this up earlier this week, no 1.4 available though. Thanks!

Did three random ironman runs with scientist/military/clear sky and died to early bloodsuckers every time :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, mutant spawns are crazy in CoC. I'm really looking forward to the new patch after looking at the patch notes, though. Sounds like a lot of my problems with the game are being addressed.

Answering my earlier question about pistols:

9mm 7N1 has the best penetration out of anything but a .50 AE.
That's followed by the .45 Hydroshocks
Then 10mm and 5.7

Don't even bother with the .45 FMJ, it's worse in every way. The 5.7 JHPs have lower penetration than even 9x18mm, and still lovely damage. The .40 FMJ is just outclassed by the .45 and 10mm pretty thoroughly. I'm going with the .45, even though it has less penetration than the 9mm. It just does significantly more damage.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 1, 2016

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Azran posted:

Where can I check what the new CoC patch will add? The Moddb page has no mention of a new version

https://bitbucket.org/revo_lucas/call-of-chernobyl/commits/all

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Thanks! Those patchnotes include a lot of QoL improvements I longed to see, can't wait for it to drop.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

In AO3, the M4 .50 Beowulf has no upgrade tree. I tried copying the trees and the surrounding mod-related lines from the normal M4, which it shouldn't need since it seems to be a child class of the normal m4. That didn't work.

Is there another setting to enable modifications? I'm enjoying being able to just thump an exoskeleton to death with one shot and kill a pseudogiant with less than one magazine, but I'd like to be able to mod it.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I had the strange opposite. For whatever reason, I couldn't make the SVT-40 NOT upgradeable :iiam:

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Have there been any more murmurs of mods popping up for Call of Chernobyl? I played warfare with arsenal overhaul and stopped playing a few months ago.

I keep coming back to this game because there isn't an RPG FPS out there as good as this game can get. And Fallout 4 got mods and a raider addon. Seriously would like the next CoC build to numb the pain that was Fallout 4.

\/ okay now straight up that's awesome.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Sep 20, 2016

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
STALKER co-op coming along well.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/ray-of-hope-co-op-online/videos/ray-of-hope-roh-closed-beta-gameplay-2#imagebox

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
i saw that but all details are in russian. is it on the CoC engine?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUB-Slf8uD4

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

big cock Salaryman posted:

i saw that but all details are in russian. is it on the CoC engine?

Most likely not but I know the CoC guys will do their damndest to make it fit!

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
I'd love to experience the zone with friends, run our own little gang in CoC with Warfare mod as our own faction. Either that or in a zone so hostile and oppressive it takes at least a pair of hyper vigilant buddies to barely survive.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Sep 21, 2016

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
COC 1.4 is essentially going to be a huge overhaul of how COC works and has a huge bunch of changes, including playable zombies, new start locations, improved alife, a basic storyline etc.

I know Darryl and he's been working super hard on it. It's probably not a huge exaggeration to say that 1.4 is going to be to COC what COC was to the Stalker series.

E: I'm not sure what's going on with Radium at the moment since for various reasons I won't get into I don't have a PC at the moment so I'm off the team for a while but before I left we were working on making it entirely for COC since it would probably fit far better on the COC system than the COP one.

So that's something to look forward to. Before I left I spent a long time adding the new emission stuff to all the COC levels so virtually every single map is going to be affected by them in a huge way including hosed up lights, broken electronics etc.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Sep 21, 2016

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Darryl is to Stalker community what Strelok is to the Stalkers of the Zone.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
So whats so good about CoC? I've played a bit and I assume its basically the ultimate freeplay mod? It is cool to play ShoC levels in the Pripyat engine.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Monolith. posted:

So whats so good about CoC? I've played a bit and I assume its basically the ultimate freeplay mod? It is cool to play ShoC levels in the Pripyat engine.

At the moment, yeah it's the ultimate freeplay mod.

In the current official release its very bare bones but it has virtually every level ever included in the Stalker games stitched into a cohesive whole so everything makes sense.

1.4 is definitely going to shake things up though. It's going to be an entirely new game.

I'm also slightly proud that Darryl chose one of my suggestions for an achievement name: Duga Free

I was quite proud of that pun.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

I think the best part about Call of Chernobyl is that it provides the ultimate bone structure so to speak for STALKER modding. The best kind of mod in my opinion typically is also pretty popular around here. Mods that turn the zone into a dynamic faction wars battlefield. So you have that but also with every map ever, every mutant ever (including cut ones) and on and on. Oh not to mention a shitload of tweaks and stuff. And it runs on the latest engine.

Like Warfare is so much better than FactionWars simply because one is way more expansive. FactionWars is played on Clear Sky and it's really fun. But Warfare runs on CoC and the difference is so great there is no reason to buy Clear Sky unless it's a dollar and you really love the franchise.

But I could also go on and on about how great it is to play on Shadow of Chernobyl maps and have some of the greatest gaming nostalgia trips ever.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 21, 2016

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
A lot of the SoC maps are actually Clear Sky versions because they're technically the best version of them. They're running in an engine that's not terrible now though so you'd be forgiven for thinking they're SoC maps because they actually run well now.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

So does Warfare actually run on 1.3.2 and not just 1.3.1.2? Additionally, is it compatible with the Itemsoup addon for AO3?

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
how does one download 1.4RC? no links that i see on the moddb page. i would wait for the proper release but i dont know how far off it is

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

big cock Salaryman posted:

how does one download 1.4RC? no links that i see on the moddb page. i would wait for the proper release but i dont know how far off it is

They took it down some time ago. Just play the regular version to edge yourself till 1.4 gets released. I recommend some sort of self imposed challenge like ironman, or not using automatic weapons.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

you guys ready to play some games?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Avocados posted:

Strelok versus the orange tang.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Avocados posted:

Get back in the exosuit, Stalker

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Probably a forlorn hope, but do you know of anybody doing any SA-Quality LPs for Call of Pripyat or (mostly what I'm looking for) associated mods like Misery? Preferably no face cam or lovely co-commentators, reasonably competent at the game. I know that Alex over at LoadingReadyLive has a number of videos, but he spent multiple videos throwing himself at one single enemy encounter that he simply was not ready to get past and it burned me the hell out on his stuff.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

RickVoid posted:

Probably a forlorn hope, but do you know of anybody doing any SA-Quality LPs for Call of Pripyat or (mostly what I'm looking for) associated mods like Misery? Preferably no face cam or lovely co-commentators, reasonably competent at the game. I know that Alex over at LoadingReadyLive has a number of videos, but he spent multiple videos throwing himself at one single enemy encounter that he simply was not ready to get past and it burned me the hell out on his stuff.
It's a couple of years old, but give this a try: http://lparchive.org/STALKER-Call-of-Pripyat/

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?
If I wanted to replay Call of Pripyat what community patches and other such things should I get? I recall there being patches to fix the stutter, something to do with grass, and so on. The thing in the op is not available anymore and it's pretty old too. I'll be playing the steam version that has Russian text and sound.

Besides that, I though the game's gunplay and gun customization weren't great, are there any mods that specifically change these things? Something conservative that doesn't add a million guns ripped from other games would be ideal.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

loga mira posted:

Besides that, I though the game's gunplay and gun customization weren't great, are there any mods that specifically change these things? Something conservative that doesn't add a million guns ripped from other games would be ideal.

I'd say you'd want to wait for Gunslinger to come out but who knows how long that will take.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Gunslinger has a doc of their progress on the moddb page and they have awhile to go. I want to say the Shoker mod incorporates some Gunslinger but i havent played that in forever.

E: SGM 1.7 is always recommended but i cant remember if that addresses your issues.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I like SGM a lot but, uh, I definitely wouldn't consider its additions "conservative."

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Mordja posted:

I like SGM a lot but, uh, I definitely wouldn't consider its additions "conservative."

What about "Somewhat Bloated"?

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

MariusLecter posted:

That would be Misery.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

MariusLecter posted:

Hey man, don't bring my mom into this!

Monolith. posted:

That would be Misery.

Hey man, don't bring my mom into this!

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

loga mira posted:

If I wanted to replay Call of Pripyat what community patches and other such things should I get? I recall there being patches to fix the stutter, something to do with grass, and so on. The thing in the op is not available anymore and it's pretty old too. I'll be playing the steam version that has Russian text and sound.

I found this on reddit recently when i was searching for solutions to installing some mod on regular SoC

E:one day i might be brave enough to enter the slav zone

Fellis fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 23, 2016

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?
Think I'll go vanilla first and then if it gets boring will try Misery 1. The modding community for these games is insane.

While googling this stuff I remembered another Stalker game I've been meaning to try, it's an old Soviet roguelike based very loosely on the movie and the book. The mechanics and the mix of sci fi and fantasy is so odd that I suspect it's a hack of some other game. There's a radiation meter and there are monsters, and it's always dark so you explore one square at a time, or use the flashlight for which you have to collect batteries. It was quite popular back then, someone in the 90s remade it for Windows from memory, but that version is lost while the original is still around. It's interesting that the inventory has six slots and is always displayed there on the right, very modern rogue like like. I didn't get very far because I couldn't find a way to switch the thing to Cyrillic, it isn't supposed to look like that. All I found are references to number codes you're supposed to input to change the alphabet, but the ones I tried it says wrong code.

The guy who assembled the compilation of games died in the game 79 times, and then the 80th death was mine.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Has any Stalker mod ever added more melee weapons or put a little more emphasis on melee?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Azran posted:

Has any Stalker mod ever added more melee weapons or put a little more emphasis on melee?

I seem to remember one of those machine-translated Russian mods gave you a shovel or something.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
DMX has multiple new melee weapons aswell a new ui element that lets you equip them.

The only real stalker game that has mods with any focus on melee weapons is SoC and even then only a few do because adding them in game in an intuitive way is a huge pain in the rear end.

I guess COP would also let you do this as you can make knives into slot items but the only mod that does this is Misery, I think, and even then it does it poorly.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Azran posted:

OGSE has a crowbar with a straight up ripped sound that plays when you pick it up. Plus it one shots zombies in the head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Monolith. posted:

That would be Misery.

No, that's INCREDIBLY bloated.