Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Ridge Racer on the Vita let you use the Hornet from Daytona USA, so that's automatically the best one in the series.

Even though it's also a shell of a game that you have to buy tons of DLC for to make into a proper release, which automatically makes it the worst one in the series.

And also, it's on the Vita, which means nobody will ever play it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Shadow Hog posted:

Ridge Racer on the Vita let you use the Hornet from Daytona USA, so that's automatically the best one in the series.

Even though it's also a shell of a game that you have to buy tons of DLC for to make into a proper release, which automatically makes it the worst one in the series.

I was actually gonna buy a vita for that game until I heard about the DLC stuff, what the hell namco

e: RR never felt right to me on a handheld anyway, as good as the PSP one is (it's really good) it just doesn't work for me on a small screen, I can't play it for more than like an hour

d0s fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 22, 2016

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

d0s posted:

I was actually gonna buy a vita for that game until I heard about the DLC stuff, what the hell namco

Namco was/is the worst with dlc. I'm still mad about Beautiful Katamari.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

TheRedEye posted:

From what I'm seeing in the reviews it looks like it depends on the system/video output, but you can always force your TV into 4:3 in the settings.

Actually a lot of TV's don't really let you change the aspect ratio on HDMI, since for 90% of cases it's safe to assume it's a widescreen aware source. My Samsung will let me do it, but none of the Vizio TV's I've used do.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Modus Pwnens posted:

Namco was/is the worst with dlc. I'm still mad about Beautiful Katamari.

At least about 75% of the DLC in Beautiful Katamari was available in Katamari Forever.

But still, gently caress Namco.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

flyboi posted:

Never ignore anyone and Rufus is cute. Peeps that get triggered from their forums experience should look at Facebook or other social media and reflect how inconsequential his rants are.

We could've had a great discussion about ljn games and my love for jaws but you all too blinded to shift discussion. :(

I'm actually doing a lovely youtube series where I blind-play random licensed games, and I've been trying to avoid LJN ones because they feel too obvious, but one snuck in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWinO7SaiSg

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
people that unironically tell other people they're "triggered" telling us about proper decorum is a joke fwiw

content : Ugh, I'm having such a hard time scheduling a meetup between me and a friend just to pick up my repaired Virtual Boy and my glow in the dark Game Boy. This shouldn't be that difficult! :sigh:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

wa27 posted:

Cool, thanks. Does it maintain aspect ratio?

Yes. I assume that the price change doesn't indicate a hardware revision, but if is doesn't then it should. At the very least I haven't had problems with it stretching poo poo.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'm actually doing a lovely youtube series where I blind-play random licensed games, and I've been trying to avoid LJN ones because they feel too obvious, but one snuck in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWinO7SaiSg

It does have an amazing soundtrack, though. I can only imagine they go up to Tim Follin and say "hey, we need a soundtrack for this lovely licensed thing we're not telling you the name or details you have a month" and he turns in a prog rock masterpiece each time.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

al-azad posted:

It does have an amazing soundtrack, though. I can only imagine they go up to Tim Follin and say "hey, we need a soundtrack for this lovely licensed thing we're not telling you the name or details you have a month" and he turns in a prog rock masterpiece each time.

One thing I'd love to see someone do is cover the same license that had entirely different games in the same time period on different platforms.

Like Aliens has TWO C64 games that are totally different and then an MSX game that is different still! Batman 89 has.. 4-7 different games based on it! Returns even more! Transformers had 2 C64 games and the infamous Famicom Mystery of Convoy. (I used them as examples since I collect games for all 3 Ips. I almost won a loose but complete MSX Aliens to basically complete that theme. Almost. It's a lovely game though.) There are 2 different Friday the 13th games, 2 Nightmare on Elm Streets, 3 Gremlins. 2 ETs. 2 Predators and 3-4 Predator 2s! 4 Alien3s!

It's a cool thing I'm surprised people haven't done as a style or theme for projects.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I didn't realize that the Spider-man and the X-Men game was on the SNES, huh. It's a game I rented for my Genesis more than once because I was a dumb kid.

It looks like both versions are more or less the same though, depending on what style of synthesized drums you prefer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2z2PNymDmY

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

Captain Rufus posted:

One thing I'd love to see someone do is cover the same license that had entirely different games in the same time period on different platforms.

Like Aliens has TWO C64 games that are totally different and then an MSX game that is different still! Batman 89 has.. 4-7 different games based on it! Returns even more! Transformers had 2 C64 games and the infamous Famicom Mystery of Convoy. (I used them as examples since I collect games for all 3 Ips. I almost won a loose but complete MSX Aliens to basically complete that theme. Almost. It's a lovely game though.) There are 2 different Friday the 13th games, 2 Nightmare on Elm Streets, 3 Gremlins. 2 ETs. 2 Predators and 3-4 Predator 2s! 4 Alien3s!

It's a cool thing I'm surprised people haven't done as a style or theme for projects.

Mostly this is limited to people who pretend that Genesis Aladdin is better than SNES Aladdin.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

TheRedEye posted:

Mostly this is limited to people who pretend that Genesis Aladdin is better than SNES Aladdin.

Fools, the lot of them.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Shadow Hog posted:

It plays pretty well, too. Shame that it has so little content without coughing up. RR3D is pretty alright, feels kind of like Type 4.

I own this game and I don't really know why. I think an ex bought it and left it with me? It sucks.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Elliotw2 posted:

Actually a lot of TV's don't really let you change the aspect ratio on HDMI, since for 90% of cases it's safe to assume it's a widescreen aware source. My Samsung will let me do it, but none of the Vizio TV's I've used do.

Ya, my Samsung allows me to chose the aspect ratio. My Vizio outsputs whatever signal in its native ratio and I can choose to have it stretch/zoom/wide. But if it's 4:3, then it outputs 4:3.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

TheRedEye posted:

Why not just play both? A lot like the stuff I posted being licensed games it's cheap to buy. Like under 30 shipped can get one both Aladdins. Even less if you use GOG for the digital Genesis Disney releases and or are fine with loose carts. (Though SMS Castle of Illusion is the best Disney game I have played. It's so damned good and charming.)

I'm biased towards Sega but good is good. (In Alien3's case the SNES version smokes the Genesis/most other platforms version.) If slightly later release ports count I will take Master System versions over the Commodore 64 ones any day. (Though when it comes to NES on C64 and vice versa? Play the original versions. C64 Castlevania is about as bad as NES Defender of the Crown. Two of my favorite games ruined when ported. But those are ports and not same Ips but different games.)

Platform Warrioring is kinda dumb. Most machines and the companies behind them have their good and their bad parts.

Speaking of Nintendo I should have a SNES collection photo thingie done sometime tonight. Every few years I need to update collection photos and get poo poo reorganized and alphabetized.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I think the ultimate troll is coming from Genesis Aladdin to SNES, seeing that he has a sword on the cover, but instead you're throwing apples and vaulting off people's heads.

It's a better designed game I guess but so easy and boooooring. And the music is my poster child for how echoey and reverb-ery a SNES game can sound but it's not fair comparing it to something like this.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

al-azad posted:

I think the ultimate troll is coming from Genesis Aladdin to SNES, seeing that he has a sword on the cover, but instead you're throwing apples and vaulting off people's heads.

It's a better designed game I guess but so easy and boooooring. And the music is my poster child for how echoey and reverb-ery a SNES game can sound but it's not fair comparing it to something like this.

I generally prefer synths over samples these days myself. SNES sound is a lot like Amiga sound that in many cases it is more or less the Uncanny Valley of audio. It sounds too close to real to be right, but not far enough to be right. 420 SID Chip EVRYDAY.

Anyhow as promised SNES collection photos for ya'll to ponder.

Oddly enough the reason I only have two of these loose SNES cart photos is because back before retro gaming and collecting got big I was snobby and mostly only wanted boxed games, or at least with manuals. And as can sadly be seen most people never really took good care of their games. I have seen things that would turn one's hair white. CD/DVD based games just thrown loose on a table. Drinks on top of electronic devices. Games and controllers thrown about. Horrible things.

Zelda there came with my SNES in 1995 and can show you how I kept my stuff good. It is clean and fancy. Even UN Squadron I bought in early 1996 looks better than most of these carts because I take decent care of my stuff. (I just need to dust a lot more often.) And I have indeed actually done some light cleaning of most of these loose games. That is how poorly people take care of their property.

The first of my three images of my boxed games. This sort of explains why I was also a boxed snob. Most of my existing games in the early days of Ebay were such so why would I buy loose? And it wasn't like there were a ton of retail stores carrying old games at that point. SNES was in the midst of being phased out of video rental stores and the normal game shops of the time. But I got a few choice morsels. And thanks to a few budget reissues a couple more titles.

Pilotwings is on top because technically it is the actual box cut up and placed into a plastic case of some kind. It is a reasonable price. Now if only we could get the true successor to it (Disney's STUNT ISLAND for DOS) reissued or remade. It is everything Pilotwings wanted to be and MORE.

The final suite of boxed games. All three Super Star Wars games boxed. And a sought after rarity. And a game mostly known as a donor cartridge for reproduction and overclocking projects.

From what I understand the Chrono Trigger cluebook is also sought after. And while I may have gotten rid of the box my SNES came in (you can only transport so much on an airplane after all!) I still have all the paperwork in there. Even if it isn't really needed. The little thing at the bottom is a fancy save state/convertor cartridge. Plug it into your SNES, plug the game in and you can save state in most spots in most SNES games. And the design allows for Japanese Super Famicom games to be played without having to do any sort of chopping to your machine!

My controllers. The Super Advantage because I enjoy such things as RAPID FIRE and joystick controls for my videogames, a stock pad because sometimes shoulder buttons have their use (and you know, it kinda came with the unit), and the SNES Mouse and Mouse Pad for Mario Paint, Arkanoid, Super Game Boy, and a handful of other games should I get them in the future. The joystick got a nice scrubbing after this photo was taken.

Where is the SGB then? Well I showed it in an earlier collection update covering the Game Boy but.. here it is again:

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 23, 2016

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
That is a rad loving collection.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

What's the SNES Mechwarrior like? Does it capture the open world design of the original or is it a series of linear skirmish missions?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

the SNES game called "Mechwarrior" is a pretty faithful port of the original DOS Mechwarrior, with redesigned mechs for whatever reason. The Genesis game called "Battletech" and it's SNES verison "Mechwarrior 3050" is Jungle Strike in a Mad Cat but bad.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I have some fondness for 3050. Or rather its first level because that game is hard as poo poo.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Aladdin is one of my favorite genesis games, but I can't get into the snes one.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Elliotw2 posted:

the SNES game called "Mechwarrior" is a pretty faithful port of the original DOS Mechwarrior, with redesigned mechs for whatever reason. The Genesis game called "Battletech" and it's SNES verison "Mechwarrior 3050" is Jungle Strike in a Mad Cat but bad.

Its not faithful AT ALL. Its the same basic story but that is pretty much it. The gameplay is seriously different, the combat and construction rules are different, the graphics go from polygons to Mode 7 world with sprite mechs, and the mechs are all different. You can at least modify your mechs in the SNES game however. (Yes the mechs are pretty much different because of our pals at Harmony Gold. But we shouldn't call them pals friend.)

I have completed both the SNES and the PC DOS Mechwarrior 1s. They share the same central story conceit and are both first person mech combat sims where you are a merc. I am not really sure either is worth going out of your way to play these days. But Mechwarrior 4/Mercenaries is my first person mech game of choice so YMMV. (That being said I would cut up a motherfucker if someone would use the Mechwarrior Online engine for a proper single player game. Course I thought the same about City of Heroes too.)

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Captain Rufus posted:

(That being said I would cut up a motherfucker if someone would use the Mechwarrior Online engine for a proper single player game. Course I thought the same about City of Heroes too.)

I mean, STO exists, that's basically a single player game in the CoH engine.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't really care much about the combat simulation, the key thing for me is getting the game's quest structure and Wing Commander style metagame where you're working for different factions. All the mercenary stuff the later MechWarrior's completely ditched.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Genesis Aladdin > SNES Aladdin, but they're both good and it annoys me that people make it out like you can only like one of them

I can't really comment on Master System/Game Gear Aladdin, though, couldn't quite figure out where to go in the second level. Seems like an okay Prince of Persia clone, I guess.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I would love to see a remake of aladdin a la DuckTales.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Those photos reminded me, I would kill for 8bitdo to do an NES / SNES Advantage clone. Preferably with good hardware, or easily swappable hardware. And all those turbo switches. Preferably with the same build quality / weight that the originals had.

I'd buy one of each, and I know my nerd friends would too.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
No Super Famicom games, a shameful Rufus.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Mechwarrior (1, PC) is very bad at explaining what the gently caress the deal is if you actually want to beat the game.

I played it back in the day and not once did I advance the plot because I didn't know how. I did have a lance of mercenaries in Battlemasters and was earning steady money vaporizing everything in my path.

The plot mechanics, as far as I remember, involve going to the correct planets in the correct order and asking around bars for information.

It's like Carmen Sandiego except stupid.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Code Jockey posted:

Those photos reminded me, I would kill for 8bitdo to do an NES / SNES Advantage clone. Preferably with good hardware, or easily swappable hardware. And all those turbo switches. Preferably with the same build quality / weight that the originals had.

I'd buy one of each, and I know my nerd friends would too.

They make a Famicom joystick. I don't have one, so I can't speak for it's quality.

http://www.8bitdo.cn/fc30joystick/

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

the only good slow mech game is steel batallion

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I loved duck tales as a kid. The game and the show. I was stoked for the remaster and then was disappointed by it. 3D backgrounds with flat sprites look bad to me. It was just too jarring for me. I actually played through duck tales last weekend on my AVS. Good times.

Does anyone here have a retropak that they have taken the time to really organize their files on? I'd like to send my compact flash to someone that can set it up for me. I'll pay shipping to and from and give them a few extra bucks or a game. It's not that I can't do it myself but I lost my adapter and hoped it wouldn't be too much trouble for someone that already has one they could just duplicate.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Got myself some flashcarts including the Famicom N8 Everdrive. Is there a patch or something to be able to hear the expansion audio from games such as Gimmick or Akumajo densetsu? From what I read on Krikzz' forum, he hasn't programmed it, and some people used some kind of tricks to enable it.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

d0s posted:

Leynos is pretty good and somewhat slow.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

d0s posted:

The Mechwarrior franchise begs to differ (except for MW1, of course). Heavy Gear 2 was pretty good, also.

Anidav posted:

Leynos is pretty good and somewhat slow.

I don't think of Leynos really as a mech game. Mech game to me means psuedo-simulator where you're driving a giant robot around from a cockpit view and blowing up other large vehicles in missions. The attempt at simulation is the most important aspect of that me as is the concept of the vehicle being a giant walking tank.

Consoles generally haven't had good mech games other than Steel Battalion. At the height of the genre, the systems were just too weak for decent simulators. By the time they had the power to do them well, the genre was pretty much dead at the hands of faster paced action games.

Maybe I'll play the PS1 port of Mechwarrior 2 tonight and hate it...

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Gun Griffon, without trying SB or post-PS2 ACs, was my fave mech game. More arcade and direct than simmy, music and mission-start radiochatter was great, would be a fine game to take to VR with its simplicity of hop in and gun.

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011

TeaJay posted:

Got myself some flashcarts including the Famicom N8 Everdrive. Is there a patch or something to be able to hear the expansion audio from games such as Gimmick or Akumajo densetsu? From what I read on Krikzz' forum, he hasn't programmed it, and some people used some kind of tricks to enable it.

Some folks made complete replacement mapper code files for the 5B (Gimmick) and Akumajou Densetsu/Madara/Esper Dream 2 (VRC6) that involve replacing a couple of the stock RBF files in the MAPS folder.
The VRC6 one comes in many different volume settings, I -think- you want one that is 75% on HI to match the volume of the 5B one.

However, my EDN8 is currently an OS version behind, so I dunno if the current version may have broken any compatibility, and the download for the 5B seems to have died now, so if you like I can put my entire OS folder on dropbox or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

MrLonghair posted:

Gun Griffon, without trying SB or post-PS2 ACs, was my fave mech game. More arcade and direct than simmy, music and mission-start radiochatter was great, would be a fine game to take to VR with its simplicity of hop in and gun.

Armored Core has its fans, but I've never gotten into them for whatever reason. So let's throw that out there: if I was to play one Armored Core game, which one is worth trying?

• Locked thread