Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Bigass Moth posted:

I tried to boot to recovery but since there are no backups thee was nothing to select.

Can boot to safe mode, but can't get past the login.

Caps keys work. Keyboard works fine otherwise. Did not have a mouse but will bring one when I go back.

I've had this issue before with a computer with a PS/2 barcode scanner plugged into the keyboard slot (yes this is how you correctly plug this in, a barcode scanner acts like a keyboard). It has a PS/2 pass for keyboard. The keyboard in the server room was replaced with a USB keyboard and next reboot it wouldn't take any input from a real keyboard because of PS/2.

Oh you want to know WHY a server needs a barcode scanner? Testing it with the software since using a Windows7 machine in the same room as a client makes too much sense. Can't sit down in a server room! Nope! We have a client PC for a reason, it's nice to sit down if you need to configure something after racking a server if you need to still have physical access after you finish something in the OS.

Just double check the PS/2 ports, maybe there is a KVM plugged into the PS/2 port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

anthonypants posted:

i hate our datacenters

I'm the fibre bent at a 90 degree angle.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

left eye :rip:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

hihifellow posted:

I'm the fibre bent at a 90 degree angle.

Jesus, it just keeps adding layers on :stare:.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Thread title holds meaning today, except I actually did "scream".

On a conference call with my team and a project coordinator, one of the newer guys on the team (who has actually worked here 6 or 7 years longer than me), was babbling and repeating himself for probably the 3rd or 4th time, and I just told him to shut up, a few times.

It was super loving rude, I feel like a dick, and will apologize tomorrow. Pretty sure he (and everyone else on the call) understands it's been a rough few weeks or so for me, my cousin and my mother have both been in and out of the hospital and surgery is coming up for mom in 2 weeks, so a bit on edge and fuse is shorter than usual. God drat do I feel like a poo poo heel though.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

I laughed at this way more than I should. Well done. :commissar:

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

MF_James posted:

It was super loving rude, I feel like a dick, and will apologize tomorrow. Pretty sure he (and everyone else on the call) understands it's been a rough few weeks or so for me, my cousin and my mother have both been in and out of the hospital and surgery is coming up for mom in 2 weeks, so a bit on edge and fuse is shorter than usual. God drat do I feel like a poo poo heel though.

I have been there, not that it makes it any more cool to act in such a manner and much like you I felt like a complete poo poo heel afterwards. I felt even worse when they came to me and started apologising. "You are under a lot of stress and we all appreciate it and know that it cant be easy blah blah blah".

Despite the fact he was right nothing about it made treating a coworker in that manner any more the "right" way to do things.

I always try to remember that situation when I get stressed out these days and how horrible I felt at the time.

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

insidius posted:

I am unsure why I need to explain to someone who is almost twenty
years older then me that I do not care how much they "prefer emacs" no they can not install it on a massive client infrastructure that does not belong
to them because it turns out the client decides what software exists on their machine, not us.

"You are impacting on my autonomy and curbing my freedoms wah!"

I am not sure if I am becoming the person I hated at the start of my career or if everyone around me is retarded.

If they don't even have TRAMP working locally they can't be too attached to their editor.

poo poo, one of my former colleagues used to use TRAMP while at home to bounce through a jumphost (with 2FA) to another machine to a third machine to live-inspect server logs to avoid the context switch of a terminal. If using emacs requires installing it on every box you log into, you're missing out on one of the only features that interests me. What were they planning to do, distribute their dotfiles to every server your client owns?

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Non technical person (of clinical background) looking at a process issue and going "The system doesn't store audit information for $ClinicalThing that's important and now we don't know who's changing what" and sends it to our directors of IT, Information and a bunch of others. There's table in the system called $ClinicalThing_Audit and some sub tables that, shockingly, hold the audit information for all changes.

Now people thing we're a bunch of idiots who've broken all their processes for managing this issue. Gonna be a good day.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

insidius posted:

I am feeling strangely conflicted. I have been a "Linux" admin now since around 2007 or so although technically I do more "management" these last
few years then actual linux.

My point is I seem to be surrounded lately by real life Linux user stereotypes. I am unsure why I need to explain to someone who is almost twenty
years older then me that I do not care how much they "prefer emacs" no they can not install it on a massive client infrastructure that does not belong
to them because it turns out the client decides what software exists on their machine, not us.

"You are impacting on my autonomy and curbing my freedoms wah!"

I am not sure if I am becoming the person I hated at the start of my career or if everyone around me is retarded.

High five, fellow "i'm surrounded by linux stereotypes".

Do your stereotypes smell as bad as mine?

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

MF_James posted:

Thread title holds meaning today, except I actually did "scream".

More than likely everyone else did a silent internal fist-pump thinking the same thing, we used to have a manager who would regularly schedule inter-department meetings and constantly go over the same points week after week and just straight up forget anything covered.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

DroneRiff posted:

Non technical person (of clinical background) looking at a process issue and going "The system doesn't store audit information for $ClinicalThing that's important and now we don't know who's changing what" and sends it to our directors of IT, Information and a bunch of others. There's table in the system called $ClinicalThing_Audit and some sub tables that, shockingly, hold the audit information for all changes.

Now people thing we're a bunch of idiots who've broken all their processes for managing this issue. Gonna be a good day.

That's when you "reply-all".

If they want to be an idiot to everyone, I have no problem showing everyone that they are, in fact, an idiot.

I mean, be business professional, but leave no doubt in your response.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

D34THROW posted:

Didn't even realize two-factor was a thing for this. I work at a window and door company as the service coordinator, and our online credit card gateway requires ONLY a username and password...not even an overly secure one. I have lowercase, numbers, and a symbol and it's okay. It doesn't store the CSC, but for gently caress's sake it shows CC numbers in plaintext on a transaction log. How much worse can it get?

At least in PCI requirements for merchants, they require 2FA for any access into a network that could potentially access cardholder data, even if it's not full numbers. Why only merchants are required to abide by this I have no idea. If someone was to ever target these backend processor websites with a key logger they would have relatively easy access to card data. Why bother trying to break into a retailer's network when you can just walk into the backdoor left by the processor!

My bank website (which can do nothing but look at balances and transfer money between my own accounts) requires more secure login procedures than our CC gateway website.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

dogstile posted:

My stereotype just sniffed a pc. Like a long deep sniff followed by a sigh :wtf:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

bitterandtwisted posted:

Symantec is awful. Used it for AV two jobs ago and backups last job. The clients with Symantec backup and recovery also backed up to buffalo NASs

In the saga of me trying to get Acrobat Pro installed (instead of reader), I was able to get admin rights added to my account (let's not debate the wisdom of allowing users admin rights). Point is, I got 'em.

Which allowed me to uninstall Reader, great. Still couldn't install Acrobat Pro, because a registry value add/change was still being blocked by Symantec.

Of course, I don't have permissions to disable Symantec and it also started up when I booted into safe mode. Okay, that's fine. That's even good. But man, I'd really like to get, you know, something I need for work installed. The help desk had suggested that maybe the only way around it was to uninstall SEP, install Acrobat, and re-install SEP. Which is stupid.

A bit of Googling lead me to something about adding exceptions "Application and Device Control" but, of course, that is only configurable by from the admin panel. So, no exception for me... but wait, what is this checkbox in the SEP Client Management Settings, "Enable Application and Device Control"?

Hmm, why don't I uncheck this and... moral of the story is, I don't know, somethingsomething Google, our IT department, SEP sucks, badly configured AV, somethingsomething.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

dogstile posted:

My stereotype just sniffed a pc. Like a long deep sniff followed by a sigh :wtf:

You aren't truely in IT until you can smell the colors coming off of your electronics.

Poser. :v:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Ugh, you mean I have to add the disks to the array AND THEN expand the array too????? Why can't technology just do what I'm implying.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Arsten posted:

You aren't truely in IT until you can smell the colors coming off of your electronics.

Poser. :v:

I have snuffled a few PCs and motherboards trying to determine what part fried. PSUs smell really bad when they die. I did a full Toucan Sam once trying to track down a faint smell of hot electronics and it was the APC stepdown transformer preparing to melt. That's the same unit that APC shipped to me without a power switch.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 22, 2016

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Dick Trauma posted:

I have snuffled a few PCs and motherboards trying to determine what part fried. PSUs smell really bad when they die. I did a full Toucan Sam once trying to track down a faint smell of hot electronics and it was the APC stepdown transformer preparing to melt. That's the same unit that APC shipped to me without a power switch.

What's that unique and tantalizing scent? Burning plastic with that faint hint of hot metal and sadness? Time to leave before I'm required to take notice that something is going to fail, I'm not on call this week!

-Half our coworkers it seems

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Alright pissing me off now:

we are moving offices in a couple weeks, my team is three people, and a manager. The manager asked the two other guys to head up the move planning, since I'm 150% busy with customer tasks, and the other guys are a little new, and don't have the experience to handle that, so they are good to work on the move. We also hired an integrator to assist and plan.

Now, I'm just walking around the new office, and find that in our space, for six people, there's only four ethernet drops. Other places with more people have only a handful too. So the integrator, who is helping with all this, never bothered to look at the actual desk plan and figure out where people will be sitting.

One office, for ONE GUY, has about 20 runs in it. Like wires everywhere.

Ugh. I asked about getting more runs, and they said "eh just buy switches for the desks". I promptly jumped out a window and now I'm dead.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

totalnewbie posted:

In the saga of me trying to get Acrobat Pro installed (instead of reader), I was able to get admin rights added to my account (let's not debate the wisdom of allowing users admin rights). Point is, I got 'em.

Which allowed me to uninstall Reader, great. Still couldn't install Acrobat Pro, because a registry value add/change was still being blocked by Symantec.

Of course, I don't have permissions to disable Symantec and it also started up when I booted into safe mode. Okay, that's fine. That's even good. But man, I'd really like to get, you know, something I need for work installed. The help desk had suggested that maybe the only way around it was to uninstall SEP, install Acrobat, and re-install SEP. Which is stupid.

A bit of Googling lead me to something about adding exceptions "Application and Device Control" but, of course, that is only configurable by from the admin panel. So, no exception for me... but wait, what is this checkbox in the SEP Client Management Settings, "Enable Application and Device Control"?

Hmm, why don't I uncheck this and... moral of the story is, I don't know, somethingsomething Google, our IT department, SEP sucks, badly configured AV, somethingsomething.

Did you get this working? You can turn off tamper protection from SEP (maybe). Open the GUI and go to change settings, client settings, then click tamper protection tab and uncheck the box. I think that will allow the registry to be modified, provided you can get into all those menus.

If that doesn't work, you can disable the SEP services (if you're on a newer version, which i hope you are, you have to do it from the commandline) http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/how-stop-smc-service-through-command-line-smcexe-stop-p-xxxxxxxx describes how to do it iirc, but I don't think you actually need to do the -p password thing.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Oh, yeah, unchecking that option got the installer to finish the install.

FWIW I can't turn off tamper protection, though I *CAN* change it to log-only (and no block), so maybe that will accomplish the same thing. And disabling SEP requires the SEP admin password (I assume that's the password being requested) which I don't have, obviously.

But yeah, in this particular case, it was the Application and Device Control that was stopping the install (Adobe gave error 1406, IIRC, something about registry in IE toolbar or something) and disabling it allowed the install to go through.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

RFC2324 posted:

But were you trying to install office?

I was trying to clear space for Strike Commander. I saw this thing that took up 100% of my hard drive and thought that if I removed it I'd have loads of room! :downs:

I managed to do a full reinstall of DOS, Windows 3.0 and Word for Windows before my parents knew I'd done anything.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

anthonypants posted:

Ugh, you mean I have to add the disks to the array AND THEN expand the array too????? Why can't technology just do what I'm implying.

Because then you'd be laid off. :eng101:

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I promptly jumped out a window and now I'm dead.
Can I have your stereo? :v:

Dick Trauma posted:

Why do you think I put it "smell the colors"? Burnt electronics give off fun chemicals. Fuuuuun chemicals.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Well I figured out the issue I had yesterday where I couldn't get Ctrl alt del to work on a server login screen.

Brought a different keyboard and it worked. Who knows why. Remember I said the first one worked on all other boot settings, just not login.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Bigass Moth posted:

Well I figured out the issue I had yesterday where I couldn't get Ctrl alt del to work on a server login screen.

Brought a different keyboard and it worked. Who knows why. Remember I said the first one worked on all other boot settings, just not login.

Strangely enough I had almost the exact same thing happen to someone else, a Win 7 Pro machine where Ctrl + Alt + Del just would not work at all. I could boot into safe mode and it would work fine and all the keys would work, boot back into regular Windows then the keyboard worked... gently caress knows what happened, maybe for some janky reason the keyboard drivers didn't load properly, or my favourite reason; gremlins.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Yay, more Time Warner bullshit for a client! :v:

So one of my clients is moving offices in the same building, relocating to a larger suite. On site contact asked for TWC info so I provide it, let them know all we should need is a tech to help move the modem and firewall to the other office. Client calls back flustered, and understandably so - TWC tech support and sales told him that they wouldn't help out unless they upgrade their business internet plan. Current plan the client has is fine for them, 35/5 for like $90 a month and they don't do a ton of stuff online that eats up any bandwidth (no servers, just a handful of PCs, a couple printers, and a firewall) but TWC suddenly tells them they'll have to upgrade to their next plan...a whopping 50/5 for $219 a month :aaa:

Been on the line with TWC to find out what the gently caress's up because that's goddamn ridiculous and if they want to be assholes, the client has no issue dropping them for another ISP. Only downside is we'd have to do an entire project to re-do everything at that office to upgrade the firewalls, coordinate with the new ISP and anything else that needs reprogramming like static IP info. Let's see if Terrible Worthless Cunts are willing to budge or if I have to slap their poo poo down for being lazy, greedy dicks and cancel service. :suicide:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Yay, more Time Warner bullshit for a client! :v:

So one of my clients is moving offices in the same building, relocating to a larger suite. On site contact asked for TWC info so I provide it, let them know all we should need is a tech to help move the modem and firewall to the other office. Client calls back flustered, and understandably so - TWC tech support and sales told him that they wouldn't help out unless they upgrade their business internet plan. Current plan the client has is fine for them, 35/5 for like $90 a month and they don't do a ton of stuff online that eats up any bandwidth (no servers, just a handful of PCs, a couple printers, and a firewall) but TWC suddenly tells them they'll have to upgrade to their next plan...a whopping 50/5 for $219 a month :aaa:

Been on the line with TWC to find out what the gently caress's up because that's goddamn ridiculous and if they want to be assholes, the client has no issue dropping them for another ISP. Only downside is we'd have to do an entire project to re-do everything at that office to upgrade the firewalls, coordinate with the new ISP and anything else that needs reprogramming like static IP info. Let's see if Terrible Worthless Cunts are willing to budge or if I have to slap their poo poo down for being lazy, greedy dicks and cancel service. :suicide:

Get a quote from another ISP, then you can go "But Verizon will do it for $85/month, we're willing to keep doing business for that $90/months with you, but nothing over that. Just make sure you have a real quote. Would hate for the minimum to have gone up and Verizon also wont do it for under $200 and now you are hosed.

*Verizon was chosen at random

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Already checking with 2 other providers nearby, both offering similar speed with maybe a $5-10 difference in price to what the client is already paying. Once I get an actual quote I *might* call TWC back but the sales guy on the line told me the same thing, they won't do jack unless the client signs up for a new account. Even though said client is in the same building, on the same floor, and the only change will be a suite number up the hall. It's the shadiest, stupidest bullshit I've ever seen and I know TWC is doing it for a cash grab, loving assholes.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Pull the line yourself back to the riser and then up to the new floor. Be sure to not update any labelling so in future when a customer on the floor that your client used to be on cancels service, it gets disconnected for the occupants of the new space :getin:

At least that seems to be how telecoms companies generally do things.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
When I was tasked with redoing our phones in one of our offices, I found that we had seven separate 66 blocks for our office, which only has five lines and eight handsets. Turns out that in typical telco style they only ever added more crap on and never actually took any out. I'm down to a single 66 block now and even that is only there so I can bridge the shared conference line.

A bunch of the connections on the old stuff also gave me lines owned by other tenants in the building, whose numbers include the state's medicare investigations division, state IT department, some random healthcare provider, etc. Yeah.

In conclusion I hate analog phones.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

anthonypants posted:

i hate our datacenters

Eww, brocade switches.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

dogstile posted:

They have *actual* neckbeards. Like, honest to god barely there on the face but migrating south for the winter neckbeards. I also had one of them
just take his socks off and start cutting picking at his toenails the other day.

I am only just holding onto my sanity at times here. I do not want to be that guy but boy do I feel more and more like that guy these days.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Dick Trauma posted:

Yeah i'm talking about a brand new machine :v:

insidius posted:

I also had one of them just take his socks off and start cutting picking at his toenails the other day.

Oh god, I know a guy who did that while pushing trolleys at costco, he did it while in uniform, in front of clients :nms:

E: Customers

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Our overseas team just changed everyone's login name last night with no warning. The way you're supposed to know this? Check your email, which you need to log in to do.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

insidius posted:

I also had one of them just take his socks off and start cutting picking at his toenails the other day.

The sad part is that if you suggest this is not socially acceptable, they will just give you a blank look.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
I work for a company that has 'engineers' that are installing new DCs and telling customers their upgraded while not transferring FSMO roles and raising functional levels or anything

Edit: and leaving the old DCs obviously and just wrecking the gently caress out of anything related to the directory. Good chance for me to flex, but kinda makes me wonder

milk milk lemonade fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 23, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

On Monday: "$SPECIAL_THING is happening and we need time cards turned in before end of Friday instead of next Monday like we usually do."

On Friday at 9:05 am: "Turn in your time card."

:fuckoff:

Don't give me a deadline if that's not the actual deadline you want me to use.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

xzzy posted:

On Monday: "$SPECIAL_THING is happening and we need time cards turned in before end of Friday instead of next Monday like we usually do."

On Friday at 9:05 am: "Turn in your time card."

:fuckoff:

Don't give me a deadline if that's not the actual deadline you want me to use.

My company, on the first day of the month, will say X needs to be done by the end of the month.

Week 1: Don't forget X needs to be done by the end of the month.
Week 2: No one has started X yet. It needs to be done by the end of the month, I need everyone's plan for finishing X by the end of the day today.
Week 3: We need daily status of where you are with X.
Week 4. Some of you still are not done with X. IT MUST BE DONE BY THE END OF THE MONTH, why have you not completed it? Managers will be reaching out directly to those who have not finished X.

And to be sure, X is not a project or something revenue or customer impacting, but more like semi related training or something upper management thought we needed to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Lesson learned today: the longer you stare at a problem the stupider you get. Take a break.

I needed to make a bulk change in AD - two groups of external contacts needed their proxy address attribute changed. The correct address was already in the mail field so I figured it would be super easy to do in powershell (I'm a total beginner).
I spent a stupid long time on it before giving up and doing the big group (~70 accounts) by hand and going for a walk in a mood.

I came back and saw my mistake - the attribute is called proxyadresses not proxyaddress. It was telling me right there in the error messages.

Well I automated the poo poo out of those last 10 accounts. :mad: