Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

even if it's 100% fabricated it's caused me to look at his twitter likes, his gf's twitter, etc. and what I found was informative and hilarious, and made my decision between the two devices very easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

d0s posted:

even if it's 100% fabricated it's caused me to look at his twitter likes, his gf's twitter, etc. and what I found was informative and hilarious, and made my decision between the two devices very easy

That's cool, I thought people already knew he was a Trump supporter, also a gamergater (gasp)

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I personally didn't because I just got into VR stuff and didn't think to look into the guy. I just heard he was a weird dork

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

d0s posted:

I personally didn't because I just got into VR stuff and didn't think to look into the guy. I just heard he was a weird dork

Ah ok. Yeah he's a definitely a weird guy haha.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

d0s posted:

I do not get this mentality at all. Sure Palmer may be a dipshit but it isn't like you buying a rift gives Palmer another 10$ to spend on mocking Hillary. It's Facebooks now. Palmer will be dragged through the poop he made and that is the price he will pay. You skipping the peripheral is just an idiotic statement that affects nothing and nobody cares about. Like growing potatoes in a flower-pot to ease world hunger.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I care.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Welp it was a good thread while it lasted.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

SirTagz posted:

I do not get this mentality at all. Sure Palmer may be a dipshit but it isn't like you buying a rift gives Palmer another 10$ to spend on mocking Hillary. It's Facebooks now. Palmer will be dragged through the poop he made and that is the price he will pay. You skipping the peripheral is just an idiotic statement that affects nothing and nobody cares about. Like growing potatoes in a flower-pot to ease world hunger.

it would just make me feel good, personally, to not buy the piece of gear the crazy brony gamergate trump guy made (or stole from valve or whatever). I don't have any illusions that it's gonna hurt him personally haha

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
The Facebook co-founder donated 20 million to HRC. Does anyone know how much Gabe or the owners of HTC have?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

SirTagz posted:

Why do you care so much what someone spends there money on and for what reasons? Why does someone not purchasing something (for any reason) confuse you?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

KakerMix posted:

Why do you care so much what someone spends there money on and for what reasons? Why does someone not purchasing something (for any reason) confuse you?

If people stop buying things from companies that have vile employees or do awful poo poo, everyone would become part of the ultra rich, we can't have that come on man!@

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
If you had a bowl of HMDS and 3 were Rifts would you grab a handful of VR? think about THAT liberals

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Sometimes terrible companies can have wonderful people leading them, see Bill Gates and Microsoft.

I generally hope it is usually the case, so Palmer being a disgusting waste of breath is kinda disappointing.

I was not already aware he was a Trump supporter though, how did you know and why did you still back him all this time, Poetic Justice? This seems like really clear warning signals that you should wash your hands of all interaction with the man.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

KakerMix posted:

I do not actually care how d0s spends his money. His statement about not wanting to be a piece of the machinery Palmer created makes sense and I have no beef with that.
I just want the bubble of the flower-pot market to pop as I have shorted some stock and it is getting absurd.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Mordaedil posted:

I was not already aware he was a Trump supporter though, how did you know and why did you still back him all this time, Poetic Justice? This seems like really clear warning signals that you should wash your hands of all interaction with the man.

I found out when I went to his twitter a few months ago and he was following Trump. And I'm not the type of person that thinks the Rift is solely him, there are hundreds of people that worked and continue to work on it. Also, having used both Vive and Rift, I want the best headset with access to the most amount of content. I also don't have that cult-like mindset that some people have who think everyone that is choosing Trump over HRC is some racist nazi and generally I don't care who people support politically.

I'll just leave this here:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I just feel like a guy who so enthusiastically throws himself into the absolute worst sector of FYGMism there is right now would probably also be really enthusiastic about doing tons of anti-consumer poo poo in his company. With Vive, I know what I'm getting: steam. it's not perfect yeah but it's a known quantity. I was willing to give home a chance, but now that I know it's being run by a dude who looks at donald j trump & his business history and thinks the man should be president, it makes me want to nope out of the whole thing. I hope that's a better explanation than just "buying a rift would make me feel bad because palmer lucky is a meanie goobergooter"

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Hello thread!

This is the VR thread. Please direct all talk involving Trump and the presidency to D&D for serious thoughts, or C-Spam for silly thoughts. This is not the appropriate place.

Thank you kindly,
VG

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

d0s posted:

I just feel like a guy who so enthusiastically throws himself into the absolute worst sector of FYGMism there is right now would probably also be really enthusiastic about doing tons of anti-consumer poo poo in his company. With Vive, I know what I'm getting: steam. it's not perfect yeah but it's a known quantity. I was willing to give home a chance, but now that I know it's being run by a dude who looks at donald j trump & his business history and thinks the man should be president, it makes me want to nope out of the whole thing. I hope that's a better explanation than just "buying a rift would make me feel bad because palmer lucky is a meanie goobergooter"

Either way, the Vive is great and I'm sure you'll love it.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Poetic Justice posted:

Either way, the Vive is great and I'm sure you'll love it.

yeah! only 6 more months or so of saving to get one and a GPU that can run it :shepicide:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

VideoGames posted:

Hello thread!

This is the VR thread. Please direct all talk involving Trump and the presidency to D&D for serious thoughts, or C-Spam for silly thoughts. This is not the appropriate place.

Thank you kindly,
VG

That's a really fricking tall order with the face of one of the producers throwing out all of the good will with the baby-water by directly involving politics into the matter.

I'm not saying I won't play ball, but that is asking a lot in terms of news and what they matter with VR.

Unless you mean just don't discuss Trump and what not, which I am completely fine with. I post here to get away from all that after all.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Mordaedil posted:

That's a really fricking tall order with the face of one of the producers throwing out all of the good will with the baby-water by directly involving politics into the matter.

I'm not saying I won't play ball, but that is asking a lot in terms of news and what they matter with VR.

Unless you mean just don't discuss Trump and what not, which I am completely fine with. I post here to get away from all that after all.

Yes. Palmer Lucky is definitely a valid talking point here because he is intimately related to VR.

Talking about Trump's presidency, unchecked immigration, what we should do about refugees and this sort of thing does not belong here and I think we can all agree there are better avenues for that talking.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

https://twitter.com/sebmal/status/779188413329137664

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I wonder if this explains why he thought the rift shouldnt ship with motion controls. He just has no loving clue about people.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Rift had to be first on market, even if just by a few days.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I don't regret my Rift purchase (the unfortunate realities of capitalism is that there are a lot of lovely rear end people and corporations), and I'm not certainly going to run out and replace it with a Vive immediately. Still going to get Touch when it comes out.

But I certainly will consider this when the CV2s are coming out, if Palmer is still with the company.

E: VVV well, probably, yeah, I was just more saying 'the next time I'm buying this will be a consideration'.

Sky Shadowing fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Sep 23, 2016

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Uh, well, I would probably wait until cv3 or 4 regardless, but yes, nobody is going to blame you for finishing the package deal you started.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

KakerMix posted:

Yo it doesn't matter what some chump on the internet half-sarcastically types if this is going to go scandal it's already on it's way just sit back and enjoy the festivities. Now you have a real and legit reason to dislike, mock and make fun of a born-wealthy home-schooled tubby white dude, enjoy it.

We already had some reasons to hate him. He's annoying, he's a brony, and he's a home schooled weirdo.

Truga posted:

Rift had to be first on market, even if just by a few days.

What are you talking about? It was the Vive that just had to be released first. For months the message was that the Rift would release in early 2016. HTC came out and said the Vive would be released first in December 2015. It wasn't until long after information should have come out about its initial release that they finally said they weren't ready. They said they had some big idea and needed to implement it into the Vive so they had to delay. Then it turned out the big thing they did was put a camera on the front.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Both were rushed to market, they just chose different things to focus on before they pushed it out the door. The Vive's software was pretty rough in places (I think SteamVR wasn't even 1.0 when the Vive was initially released) and the head mounting system and cable feel a bit half baked, but on the other hand it is clearly the more "feature complete" of the two, in a large part thanks to its integration with Steam, the camera and the controllers.

Oculus focused on making the best possible headset, pushing tracked controllers, larger tracked areas and fancy software features to the side because evidently they just weren't ready at the time. The core software experience was more polished, but it's easier to polish what is essentially only a game launcher.

Regardless of Oculus' plans, they should have bundled Touch by default. It was a dumb oversight to not give it a higher priority, tracked controllers are magical and fragmenting the user base like they've done now only serves to confuse end users and frustrate developers.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Young Orc

Time to stop allowing teenage males to have access to large sums of money.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

What are you talking about? It was the Vive that just had to be released first.

Yes, that's why it got delayed even further to include the dumb camera nobody uses right?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

SwissCM posted:

Regardless of Oculus' plans, they should have bundled Touch by default. It was a dumb oversight to not give it a higher priority, tracked controllers are magical and fragmenting the user base like they've done now only serves to confuse end users and frustrate developers.

I sort of flip flop on whether it's a big deal for the Rift to have shipped with motion controllers. On one hand it's nice for people who use it mostly for sim racing or whatever, letting them afford something that they may not have otherwise. In that same vein, apparently the Vive has sold around ~150k units, and if we say the Rift has sold the same amount that's 300k total headsets out in the wild. If only half of the Rift owners buy Touch compared to shipping it at launch, that's still only 225k users vs 300k users that have motion controls, so I don't think it's really fragmenting the market to any degree that matters. Also the outrage if the Rift would have launched at $800 would have been 100x worse than it already was launching at $600.

On the other hand, I'm starting to get hyped and really want motion controllers now , and wish they shipped with the Rift :)

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Sep 23, 2016

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Oculus the company wasn't ready to ship the Rift, but the Rift hardware and Software were. Vive hardware was a little unpolished and the software was a total mess at launch. Also the time from HTC saying "We are going to make a VR headset" to the day it shipped was much shorter than Oculus and the Rift, so by most measures yeah, the Vive was the rushed of the two. Doesn't stop the Vive from shipping as a more complete package overall though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Truga posted:

Yes, that's why it got delayed even further to include the dumb camera nobody uses right?

So the Rift had to be released first even if by just a few days because HTC delayed their product and Oculus released when they had planned on releasing it?

The camera is dumb because of that stupid tron effect. I started using the camera view attached to the controller so I could actually see what was going on and then switched to just taking the headset off because it was tedious to hold my hand in front of my face to see anything.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I am also looking forward to touch coming out, mostly because a bunch of games are coming at the same time. Also I want to try the 3d modeling tools in VR.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
What's the outlook on developers building more roomscale things versus "front-facing" things?
With PSVR launching next month and touch coming out around the same time. I feel like porting PSVR => Touch => VIVE and Touch => PSVR => VIVE would be easier than porting VIVE => PSVR/Touch.

I guess the biggest limitation would be the playstation move not having a thumbstick / thumbstick analog for porting to PSVR.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

TomR posted:

Also I want to try the 3d modeling tools in VR.

Someone needs to recreate SketchUp in VR.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Crap. How many developers are going to disable Touch support due to protest?

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat, I couldn't believe the stuff in that article.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

AndrewP posted:

Crap. How many developers are going to disable Touch support due to protest?

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat, I couldn't believe the stuff in that article.

Too late, they're all using steam vr so it'll work anyway.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

w00tazn posted:

What's the outlook on developers building more roomscale things versus "front-facing" things?
With PSVR launching next month and touch coming out around the same time. I feel like porting PSVR => Touch => VIVE and Touch => PSVR => VIVE would be easier than porting VIVE => PSVR/Touch.

I guess the biggest limitation would be the playstation move not having a thumbstick / thumbstick analog for porting to PSVR.

The PSVR will always be front facing because it only has one camera. Oculus included "guardian" which is their version of chaperone in the latest runtime. While that isn't an indication of them fully supporting room scale, it does show they expect people to walk around in VR which can easily lead to opposite cameras and room scale. If PSVR becomes the most popular system, I'd expect most big games to be forward facing with full roomscale patched in for a PC release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
People already get up and walk around in seated games, it won't be a big deal.