Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

d0s posted:

the only good slow mech game is steel batallion

that lovely kinect game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Random Stranger posted:

So let's throw that out there: if I was to play one Armored Core game, which one is worth trying?

Hm..probably AC3 or AC For Answer. For Answer tends to be a bit faster.

My personal favorite is Nexus, but it made some changes to how heat management or something worked that made it a bit difficult, I can't recall. Also I wish more AC games other than Silent Line had first person modes.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
i miss chromehounds

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Asbrandt posted:

Some folks made complete replacement mapper code files for the 5B (Gimmick) and Akumajou Densetsu/Madara/Esper Dream 2 (VRC6) that involve replacing a couple of the stock RBF files in the MAPS folder.
The VRC6 one comes in many different volume settings, I -think- you want one that is 75% on HI to match the volume of the 5B one.

However, my EDN8 is currently an OS version behind, so I dunno if the current version may have broken any compatibility, and the download for the 5B seems to have died now, so if you like I can put my entire OS folder on dropbox or something.

That'd be nice, thanks, you can drop me a PM if you got a solution or a different OS, I will give those a try.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I like the first MechWarrior because it's like an adventure game with this combat simulator on top and every other game in the genre is just skirmish missions. There are a few Japanese exclusives that fall under the "grand strategy" genre where sweeping changes are made across the map but nothing I can read comfortably.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Random Stranger posted:

Armored Core has its fans, but I've never gotten into them for whatever reason. So let's throw that out there: if I was to play one Armored Core game, which one is worth trying?

kirbysuperstar posted:

Hm..probably AC3 or AC For Answer. For Answer tends to be a bit faster.

My personal favorite is Nexus, but it made some changes to how heat management or something worked that made it a bit difficult, I can't recall. Also I wish more AC games other than Silent Line had first person modes.

Last Raven is also worth a look on PS2. At the very least seconding that Armored Core: Nexus is fantastic and well worth a play, just make sure you get a copy that has both discs in it because the second disc with an entire game's worth of "bonus" content is just tucked in a paper sleeve inside the case.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Instant Sunrise posted:

that lovely kinect game?

It had a few good ideas that need to be ripped for VR mech games
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0WYlGkx9Qc

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Random Stranger posted:

Armored Core has its fans, but I've never gotten into them for whatever reason. So let's throw that out there: if I was to play one Armored Core game, which one is worth trying?

I've played just about every single one since armored core 2.

For answer is my favorite, a modern control style and lots of giant gently caress off bosses.

One mission is literally chasing after a giant mech train and then blowing it up from the inside.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

You know, normally I don't go in for bootlegs, but I had to order this one.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

:eyepop:

that's incredible!

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

GAME

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

IM MARIO GET OUDDA DA WAY!

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

"MaMa Joe" Stalin, in front of a soaring Brutalist landscape, explicitly representative of the Mushroom Kingdom's advances in pipe construction and symbolically representative of its indomitable will to climb over every obstacle in its path, be it manmade or natural. The complete figure represents the final triumph of the orderly plumber's spirit over the disordered chaos of the natural world. There will be no poo poo in MaMa Joe's woods; all waste shall eventually flow through pipes, in a scientifically determined fashion to meet the needs of the State.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

That is a mutha fukkin pro find :eyepop:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

this side out of what??

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I've been recently replaying a lot of the AC games and honestly I think 2 still holds up as the best one. But I prefer to slower more plodding real robot setup to the later rocket dashing filled stuff so YMMV.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

MrLonghair posted:

Gun Griffon, without trying SB or post-PS2 ACs, was my fave mech game. More arcade and direct than simmy, music and mission-start radiochatter was great, would be a fine game to take to VR with its simplicity of hop in and gun.

yeah gungriffon rules

e:

Instant Sunrise posted:

that lovely kinect game?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel_Battalion

Kodilynn
Sep 29, 2006

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

Where can I order this?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

al-azad posted:

this side out of what??
The console? Official cartridges have that too...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sony's got PS1 games on sale again but the only thing worth pointing out is Mega Man Legends. The rest of the retro games up are licensed Disney PS1 games and those don't exactly live up to Capcom's Disney games.

Edit: Oh hey, they also have Shin Megami Tensei Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2 on sale as well. If you want it, however, be aware that they're two halves of one game.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 24, 2016

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Kodilynn posted:

Where can I order this?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Nin...2721954471.html

Price went up though, I only paid $4.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Random Stranger posted:

Edit: Oh hey, they also have Shin Megami Tensei Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2 on sale as well. If you want it, however, be aware that they're two halves of one game.

I dimly remember these ports being hosed up, did I make that up?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

RichterIX posted:

I dimly remember these ports being hosed up, did I make that up?

A quick google check tells me that there's some kind of problem (possible rendering related) that introduces huge audio desync in the PS2 classics version of Digital Devil Saga. So maybe don't pick that one up.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Sony's got PS1 games on sale again but the only thing worth pointing out is Mega Man Legends. The rest of the retro games up are licensed Disney PS1 games and those don't exactly live up to Capcom's Disney games.

Hercules is actually better than like half of Capcom's Disney games.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Instant Sunrise posted:

that lovely kinect game?

Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor sounded cool in theory, at least.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Games that make me want to commit psychotic murders: Ghosts 'n Goblins and its ilk.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Star Man posted:

Games that make me want to commit psychotic murders: Ghosts 'n Goblins and its ilk.

Git gud.

Don't play the NES version. They messed with the weapon damages. So the big horn guy is immune to everything but the knife, but you need the shield to beat the game. So if you die after getting the shield you have to grind for the knife to beat the horned guy and then get the shield again.

But Maximo is super cool. Hardcore action platformer in an age where everything was going Jak & Daxter kid friendly easy.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

al-azad posted:

Hercules is actually better than like half of Capcom's Disney games.

Toy Story 2 wasn't all that bad either, sometimes it's fun to play those low expectation games.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
This last page reminded me I have a copy of the good steel battalion and its online only sequel I need to offload.

I have a question that has inevitably been asked before, but I skimmed the thread and have t found an answer. I have moved a couple of times and cannot seem to locate my SNES power cord. I have literally everything else but the wall wart. I looked into one of those 3 in 1 deals that are everywhere but Amazon is rife with 1* reviews saying they don't actually deliver enough power to the system. Am I better off searching eBay for a replacement original cable?

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Drowning Rabbit posted:

This last page reminded me I have a copy of the good steel battalion and its online only sequel I need to offload.

I have a question that has inevitably been asked before, but I skimmed the thread and have t found an answer. I have moved a couple of times and cannot seem to locate my SNES power cord. I have literally everything else but the wall wart. I looked into one of those 3 in 1 deals that are everywhere but Amazon is rife with 1* reviews saying they don't actually deliver enough power to the system. Am I better off searching eBay for a replacement original cable?

I'd honestly get the actual OEM supply, for peace of mind if nothing else. Even if the third party supplies provide enough power (not guaranteed), the build quality on the one I got a long time back was kind of poo poo; really skinny cables and the case cracked open somehow. It's not worth whatever small amount of money (in the long run) you might save to buy one.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Kthulhu5000 posted:

I'd honestly get the actual OEM supply, for peace of mind if nothing else. Even if the third party supplies provide enough power (not guaranteed), the build quality on the one I got a long time back was kind of poo poo; really skinny cables and the case cracked open somehow. It's not worth whatever small amount of money (in the long run) you might save to buy one.

Found one on eBay with pictures for $20 shipped, and with the knock off's being $10, I'm glad I looked into this more than impulse buying the 3 in 1 at the local comic shop for like $13.

One more question. I regret selling my copy of Super Metroid back when I was a kid to Funcoland to buy a PSX and Final Fantasy 7 when it came out. I am noticing that the Super famicom version is like $20 cheaper at least, and from what I'm reading they are identical. Is there any real reason to get the US version other than that was what I had as a kid?

I am ordering the silly bits that I need to open up carts/consoles from eBay as I had wanted to 'Mod' my N64 a while back and couldn't find the bits, for 1.49 and free shipping for both the 4.5 and 3.8 bits I figured why not.

Drowning Rabbit fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Sep 24, 2016

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Found one on eBay with pictures for $20 shipped, and with the knock off's being $10, I'm glad I looked into this more than impulse buying the 3 in 1 at the local comic shop for like $13.

One more question. I regret selling my copy of Super Metroid back when I was a kid to Funcoland to buy a PSX and Final Fantasy 7 when it came out. I am noticing that the Super famicom version is like $20 cheaper at least, and from what I'm reading they are identical. Is there any real reason to get the US version other than that was what I had as a kid?

I am ordering the silly bits that I need to open up carts/consoles from eBay as I had wanted to 'Mod' my N64 a while back and couldn't find the bits, for 1.49 and free shipping for both the 4.5 and 3.8 bits I figured why not.

Glad you opted for the OEM power supply.

There's no difference that I'm aware of between the Super Famicom and US SNES versions of Super Metroid; in fact, I believe both versions have the option to switch between Japanese and English text since the ROM is the same for both. I'd go for the Japanese version, so long as the region locking tabs in your SNES cartridge slot have been snapped/snipped/wriggled/violently pulverized out of it. The US version is just nostalgia-priced with no extra justification for it, in my book.

I also think the Japanese cartridge label art is a lot better and more dignified looking than the seemingly 1980s gaming throwback style of the US label art, myself, but that's a matter of opinion.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Already covered for you, but I need to confirm that the 3-in-1 is a pile of poo poo. It felt suspiciously light to me when I got one and plugging it in made it really obvious that it wasn't supplying enough power. And if you use something like a flashcart which draws more power than the system usually does, it won't work at all.

Also in Ghost 'n Goblins, the horned guy (a unicorn according to the manual) is not immune to every weapon except the knife. He is, however, immune to one of the weapons. All of the bosses in the NES version have one weapon they're immune to. Unicorns are immune to the cross, the dragon is immune to the lance, and I forget what Lucifer is immune to.

The arcade version of Ghost 'n Goblins is so much nicer to play than the NES version. I'm rather pleased that in the arcade I can get to the third boss on one life.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Sep 24, 2016

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

al-azad posted:

Git gud.

Don't play the NES version. They messed with the weapon damages. So the big horn guy is immune to everything but the knife, but you need the shield to beat the game. So if you die after getting the shield you have to grind for the knife to beat the horned guy and then get the shield again.

But Maximo is super cool. Hardcore action platformer in an age where everything was going Jak & Daxter kid friendly easy.

Nope. There are some games that a man just has to concede that they'll never be good at and can only take so much. I can stomach Gradius III arcade, but that's as far as I go. Even the sight of Ghosts 'n Goblins on the menu screen of Capcom Arcade Cabinet makes me foam at the mouth. Just the thought of having to go through two loops to actually beat it makes me go into convulsions.

And speaking of Capcom arcade games, I played Exed Exes/Savage Bees to completion last night. I just dumped credits into it because I have never played it before. What a slog of a game that was and it will take a week to get that music out of my head.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Japanese Super Metroid is the exact same game. It's one of the few (only?) SNES games to have language options in the menu.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I have "get gud" tattooed across my forehead in an old english typeface and I still don't gently caress with g&g, it's hard in a really unfun way

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Another MSU-1 patch is out. This one is for Mega Man 7.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poHfFVxmsqs

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3088/

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I can't help but feel that this one would be improved by replacing Mega Man 7's music with Mega Man 3's.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

d0s posted:

I have "get gud" tattooed across my forehead in an old english typeface and I still don't gently caress with g&g, it's hard in a really unfun way

I credit-fed through it on the Capcom Classics Collection a couple years back and I basically agree. At least it's pretty short overall.

It really is mostly down to the Red Arremers, too. There's plenty of other randomness in enemy spawns but there are ways to mitigate that. Outside of some super-play pixel-counting enemy manipulation poo poo I'm not sure there is a coherent strategy for dealing with Red Arremer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Discount Viscount posted:

I credit-fed through it on the Capcom Classics Collection a couple years back and I basically agree. At least it's pretty short overall.

It really is mostly down to the Red Arremers, too. There's plenty of other randomness in enemy spawns but there are ways to mitigate that. Outside of some super-play pixel-counting enemy manipulation poo poo I'm not sure there is a coherent strategy for dealing with Red Arremer

There's a few major tricks with them. First, and most obviously, know the level. Doesn't help you on your first playthrough, but when you know they're coming you can often get one or two hits in before they get active.

So now he's floating up there laughing at you. Don't jump and try to attack him, he'll just move out of the way. The Arremer typically can't be hit until he starts his attack pattern. So you wait for him to start his swoop and you jump away while firing backward. Takes them out, no problem.

• Locked thread