Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Barry posted:

I hope to get to that point some day but I'm always wondering "well maybe the next one is the tank I will love the most."

So far my absolute favorite tank is the KV-1 and I kind of just want to play that endlessly (which is nice because there's a ton of unlocks for it) but maybe my favorite tank is hiding somewhere in Tier 8 of a line I haven't even started on.

Here's my personal list of Good Tanks which I enjoyed playing immensely:

Rhm-B WT
Wt auf Pz IV
Grille 15
Tiger I
E-75
E-100
SU-85
ISU-152
Obj 704
T-34
T-34-85
T-54
IS
IS-3
M-18 Hellcat
Every single American medium tank after the M3 Lee
Every single American heavy tank after the M3 Lee
Centurion I
Skoda t25

Basically what I'm saying is that you should keep going up the M4 line and should probably also get the T1 Heavy.

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
These days my list of tanks I truly enjoy playing has grown much shorter:

T110E5, M46 Patton, E50. Those are the tanks I like playing. I do need to rebuy the T-10, though, since I last played it like two years ago.

But part of the reason the list is so short is that there are a lot of good tanks I haven't unlocked yet. Once I finally get them, I suspect I'll enjoy playing the Conqueror, FV215B, AMX 50B, M48 Patton, E50M, Batchat, Skoda T50, and TVP T50/51.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Barry posted:

I hope to get to that point some day but I'm always wondering "well maybe the next one is the tank I will love the most."

So far my absolute favorite tank is the KV-1 and I kind of just want to play that endlessly (which is nice because there's a ton of unlocks for it) but maybe my favorite tank is hiding somewhere in Tier 8 of a line I haven't even started on.

If you like the KV-1 you should check out the KV-1S; the "S" stands for "Better." :smugdog:

Barry posted:

That thing has been on my radar for sure.

I have the Skoda T-24 (which I like but I'm bad with, mostly because it's pretty stock with a weak crew), I'm close to the M4 Sherman (at first I really didn't like the M3 Lee but I have since figured it out more and enjoy it) and I have the Panzer IV aH (which I'm ok with but lose a ton).

The T-24 is bad period; the T-25 after that is like the T-24 but good. You probably shouldn't even be bothering with the Czech line as a new player, although it's not as bad as say the French or Chinese lines.

The Lee is bad unless you're an autistic animu fag. The M4 and Pz4H are kind of mediocre, with the former having terrible gun handling (with the 76) and the latter having a mediocre 75, and both suffering from bad HEAT on their 105s. There are other, better MTs and tier 5s.

NotWearingPants posted:

You probably shouldn't be enjoying the M3 Lee, but if you are it means you are somewhat comfortable with a turretless tank and may want to consider the German TD line. They are sort of like the M3 Lee only they aren't complete poo poo.

I like the M4 Sherman.

I kept the M10 and T67 as non-painful-to-play tier 5s over the M4 (and Pz4H) and the Pz3/4 and M7 are two of my most favorite tanks of all time.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Atomizer posted:

The Pz3/4 and M7 are two of my most favorite tanks of all time.

That's true. If I'm going to be playing low tiers, the M7 and Pz 3/4 are probably the most enjoyable tanks for people who like playing mediums. I also happen to like the Pz 3 and Ke Ho, but tier 4 is cancer these days since you're almost never top tier.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Darkrenown posted:

To be fair, the 112 needed a buff. It was basically pointless to buy or play.

The 112 is already good, these buffs will make it super retarded to play against and you suckers that never bought one will be sad.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
The M3 does suck so it's probably Stockholm Syndrome more than anything. I think I enjoy it because I don't just die immediately like I used to.

Geisladisk posted:

Basically what I'm saying is that you should keep going up the M4 line and should probably also get the T1 Heavy.

I have the T1 Heavy and play it a lot, it's probably my second favorite tank behind the KV-1. I really like the mobility and it seems pretty tough from the front with a good gun. It has taught me well that positioning and gun elevation/depression matter, concepts I was largely unaware of. I've had some pretty monstrous games with it and I'm looking forward to the M6 and T29.

Atomizer posted:

If you like the KV-1 you should check out the KV-1S; the "S" stands for "Better." :smugdog:

The T-24 is bad period; the T-25 after that is like the T-24 but good. You probably shouldn't even be bothering with the Czech line as a new player, although it's not as bad as say the French or Chinese lines.

The Lee is bad unless you're an autistic animu fag. The M4 and Pz4H are kind of mediocre, with the former having terrible gun handling (with the 76) and the latter having a mediocre 75, and both suffering from bad HEAT on their 105s. There are other, better MTs and tier 5s.

I kept the M10 and T67 as non-painful-to-play tier 5s over the M4 (and Pz4H) and the Pz3/4 and M7 are two of my most favorite tanks of all time.

I'm putting off the KV-1S until I have the other two heavies unlocked from the KV-1. I'll leave the KV-2 for later because I don't have much interest in artillery at this point. My crew is almost at 100/110 so I might even have a skill done by the time I go to the KV-1S.

I'm really only playing the Czech tanks because my ancestry is almost entirely Czech.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

NotWearingPants posted:

I suggest you try out the T-34-85 if you want a taste of medium tanks.

The T34-85 was a loving fantastic tank, and I really should have kept it. It has my highest win-rate of any tank of any kind (not counting stuff with less than 50 battles). It's successor, the T-43 is almost as good (for me anyway), and so far the T-44 is also great. Pretty sure that this entire line all the way to T10 is just good stuff.

I bought a Rudy to get my T-34-85 fix with now, might as well get fun-bucks (and a dog) while enjoying that tank.

Edit: I just noticed in my profile that I have 186 games, with a sort of mediocre win-rate, in a Russian T9 heavy tank, the T-10. WTF is a T-10? I've never owned or driven a T-10, so I assume it replaced something from back in the day when I went up that line?

The Locator fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 21, 2016

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

The Locator posted:

Edit: I just noticed in my profile that I have 186 games, with a sort of mediocre win-rate, in a Russian T9 heavy tank, the T-10. WTF is a T-10? I've never owned or driven a T-10, so I assume it replaced something from back in the day when I went up that line?

It used to be called the IS-8. Same tank, different name.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TheFluff posted:

Also if you played old tier 9 IS-4 you inherited stats from that.

Ah memories of old IS-4 :smith:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Gervasius posted:

Ah memories of old IS-4 :smith:

It's resting in tank heaven with the medium VK3601 and the old VK2801.

The 105mm derp M4 and PZ4 with good HEAT are burning in tank hell for their sins.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

To see how balanced the Cruiser IV is, compare it to the II G. 40 more clip damage, and way less reload. Of course, the II G has way more pen (until you press 2).

Not that the II G is a bad tank by any means, there's a reason I have almost 700 games in it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

TheFluff posted:

Was likely the IS-8 then. Both IS-8 and IS-4 are familiar tank designations to me, but I think the IS-4 was the T10 in the other heavy line, while I went up the IS-7 line.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

LostCosmonaut posted:

To see how balanced the Cruiser IV is, compare it to the II G. 40 more clip damage, and way less reload. Of course, the II G has way more pen (until you press 2).
Not to mention that the II G has absurd aim bloom whereas the Cruiser IV can easily put all shots on target a good distance away without aiming for an hour first and between shots.

Or at least that's how I remember the II G. Didn't really like the thing, it's just the Luchs' malformed little freak brother who lives under the stairs.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Not sure if this in the WoT launcher, but this showed up in the WoWS launcher:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5dBdlZTvRY

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

CitizenKain posted:

Not sure if this in the WoT launcher, but this showed up in the WoWS launcher:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5dBdlZTvRY

Didnt end in a katana and sabre fight on the deck of the burning, sinking ship. 0/10

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

BadLlama posted:

The 112 is already good, these buffs will make it super retarded to play against and you suckers that never bought one will be sad.

I have one, I don't enjoy playing it :shrug:

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Whoever liked the Lee, try the ELC bis, a t5 gocart TD with enough silver pen to pen anything it sees from the front and enough gold pen to comfortably pen t10 tanks. I don't know why so few play that tank, it is really OP as long as you do not try to suicide scout with it.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Zudgemud posted:

Whoever liked the Lee, try the ELC bis, a t5 gocart TD with enough silver pen to pen anything it sees from the front and enough gold pen to comfortably pen t10 tanks. I don't know why so few play that tank, it is really OP as long as you do not try to suicide scout with it.

Because it gets tier 6 matchmaking, meaning it can face tier 8s. Multiple tier 6s and 7s, and half the tier 8s can easily oneshot it. The gun is extremely inaccurate, which is fine if you're a big believer in #snapshotmeta, but it's still a lot of risk when you're only firing every 10 seconds. You cannot make your presence known, since if you're spotted you're pretty much dead, which leads to being unable to carry unless the enemy team is colossally foolish (which they frequently are.)

The Chaffee gets the same matchmaking with better handling and 40 more HP and actual gun depression and a ludicrous amount of view range. The ELC has 1200 DPM, the Chaffee has nearly 2000. Raw DPM almost never matters, but when we're talking about such a large difference, and with the Chaffee being better able to output that damage due to it actually being able to aim downwards, even the ELC's pen advantage can't make up for the fact that the Chaffee, by and large, will output vastly more damage to most targets.

Basically the ELC got power creeped into the ground when Wargaming released the new lights, and since Wargaming never bothers to actually rebalance anything it's still really weak compared to the Chaffee. Since I don't actually think that spotting enemy tanks helps your team win if they don't want to win, I'd prefer not to have to play the ELC, which really relies on passive scouting with Binocs up, taking the occasional pot shot, and then when the enemy is thinned out doing some drivebys on distracted enemies. I'd much rather play the Chaffee, which can spot from a much further distance while throwing out shots to whittle the enemy down, and when the final brawl comes it can just hold left click on surprised enemies and finish them off before they can retaliate.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Hellsau posted:

I'd much rather play the Chaffee, which can spot from a much further distance while throwing out shots to whittle the enemy down, and when the final brawl comes it can just hold left click on surprised enemies and finish them off before they can retaliate.

This. I did badly in the ELC since it's a weird mix of passive/suicidally active playstyles that is very difficult to master. The Chaffee, however, is a better pure scout due to the view range being competitive in tier 8 games, and with its speed, turret, and vertstabs you can really do well late-game by circle-strafing isolated enemies. Those features make the tank way less situational and I've racked up more mastery-level games in that tank than almost any other that I own. Really the Chaffee in my opinion is the most powerful scout when you take into account the relative advantages scouts have over mediums diminishes as you go up in tier.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Blindeye posted:

Really the Chaffee in my opinion is the most powerful scout when you take into account the relative advantages scouts have over mediums diminishes as you go up in tier.

The Chaffee is really close in power level to the Cromwell - less raw DPM in exchange for a better ability to output that DPM, and more view range. Whether a VStab and better bloom and camo and 30m more view range is worth 310 HP....it probably isn't. It scales much worse going up tiers as well, since 440 HP doesn't last long. Trying to fight a tier 8 medium with either tank is kind of suicidal, but being 2 shotable is significantly worse than being 3-4 shotable.

God drat the HP differences in this game are ridiculous.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The combination of HP and armor is a major source of the balance issues.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001
Counterpoint: 3-man platoon of ELC's jousting poo poo is hilarious.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Valle posted:

Counterpoint: 3-man platoon of ELC's jousting poo poo is hilarious.

Imagine if they had 700 HP like a same-matchmaking medium tank so they could actually survive to joust more than once or twice. Actually, don't bother imagining that, because you'd be imagining a fun game, so it's never going to happen.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

replacing T6 meds with a fast, stealthy 240-alpha TD doesn't sound all that fun. i think we tried it once, even.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Prav posted:

replacing T6 meds with a fast, stealthy 240-alpha TD doesn't sound all that fun. i think we tried it once, even.

That's not fair. The Hellcat only had 570 HP.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Whats the logic of having a different matchmaker for light tanks? Why not just make all light tanks a tier higher than their current tier?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

it's an ancient relic from back when open maps existed, artillery stopped at the Hummel, the Panther was a top-of-the-line medium and IS-4s ruled the earth.

also i believe that they intend to normalize LT MM when they add T10 LTs, which is supposedly planned for this year? maybe?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Artillery is the single worst piece of game design I've ever seen, gently caress.

Every forty seconds you get to roll a dice, if you roll high you completely ruin someone's game, if you roll low you do nothing. There's no way for the victim to know it's coming or prevent it, and there's no way for you to increase your success chance. It's frustrating horseshit for all parties.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
No, but you see, it prevents camping! :downs:

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Nordick posted:

No, but you see, it prevents camping! :downs:

Well, to be fair, it does prevent hull down camping by American heavys, it just happens to prevent flanking and promote rock camping instead. Just imagine how much better the current lovely maps would be if all the arty safe rocks were replaced by climbable hills instead.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

It was never possible to be "artysafe", and it's even harder now that battleassistant lets people know precisely what angles they're getting.

The reason arty sucks is that it adds nothing of value to the game. It presents no interesting gameplay questions to the player. It has zero bearing on the overall tactics of the rest of the game. Sometimes, you just get hosed, because a clicker with one hand on his mouse and another on his dick rolled high on a virtual dice roll. You can't play around it, because then you're not contributing to your team. You just have to hope that you're not the one the clicker focuses on, and if he does, you have to hope he doesn't have good dice. Conversely, the clicker isn't exactly having the time of his life either - He gets to make a dice roll every forty seconds, that's it. It's like a shittier version of Yahtzee with tanks.

It's a shame, because there are so many ways to make arty interesting for all parties, and make it so that it actually adds to the tactics people use in this game. One of the ideas I like the most is to cut arty alpha by like four, but increase their ROF by like six, while virtually eliminating their post-shot dispersion. Arty would serve as a area denial tool, spending a lot of time aiming in on someone, but once they're aimed in and start firing you absolutely have to move or take cover, or you're dead.

It's not "realistic", but it's no less realistic than WW2 era howitzers acting like tank-AWPs.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Geisladisk posted:

It was never possible to be "artysafe", and it's even harder now that battleassistant lets people know precisely what angles they're getting.

The reason arty sucks is that it adds nothing of value to the game. It presents no interesting gameplay questions to the player. It has zero bearing on the overall tactics of the rest of the game. Sometimes, you just get hosed, because a clicker with one hand on his mouse and another on his dick rolled high on a virtual dice roll. You can't play around it, because then you're not contributing to your team. You just have to hope that you're not the one the clicker focuses on, and if he does, you have to hope he doesn't have good dice. Conversely, the clicker isn't exactly having the time of his life either - He gets to make a dice roll every forty seconds, that's it. It's like a shittier version of Yahtzee with tanks.

It's a shame, because there are so many ways to make arty interesting for all parties, and make it so that it actually adds to the tactics people use in this game. One of the ideas I like the most is to cut arty alpha by like four, but increase their ROF by like six, while virtually eliminating their post-shot dispersion. Arty would serve as a area denial tool, spending a lot of time aiming in on someone, but once they're aimed in and start firing you absolutely have to move or take cover, or you're dead.

It's not "realistic", but it's no less realistic than WW2 era howitzers acting like tank-AWPs.

The sandbox test they ran actually did a lot to fix arty, they all got a huge nerf to damage, but shots would stun your crew in the blast radius. There were some issues with that debuff stacking a little high, but at least you weren't one-shot 2 minutes into the round.

SPGs should also carry smoke rounds to provide cover/interrupt pushes.

Not sure if that will make it out of the sandbox though, since I haven't heard much about that after their tier 10 rebalance kinda flopped.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004
gently caress you guys, I played this game again last night. I hate you all.

Actually, had several good games in the Fury. I can't believe shooting someone 3 times is enough to hit the Tier 3 mastery badge, but there you go.

My T28 game reminded me of why the T28 was a factor in my burnout. Never actually get into the fight until your teammates are dead and a light can have it way with you.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com
Somethin' made me want to drive a tank, so I downloaded this game. Joined the Discord channel but of course no goons are playing the tank game

What's a solid tank for messing around in at the start to learn the game?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Geisladisk posted:

Artillery is the single worst piece of game design I've ever seen, gently caress.

Every forty seconds you get to roll a dice, if you roll high you completely ruin someone's game, if you roll low you do nothing. There's no way for the victim to know it's coming or prevent it, and there's no way for you to increase your success chance. It's frustrating horseshit for all parties.

I haven't really played that long and I feel the same. Nothing is worse than having a good position, influencing the battle and then BAM dead.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

Somethin' made me want to drive a tank, so I downloaded this game. Joined the Discord channel but of course no goons are playing the tank game

What's a solid tank for messing around in at the start to learn the game?

Pick any of these tanks and you will have a good time while learning the game.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
RE: The eternal arty chat, I still think Armored Warfare does artillery really well. They have reasonable rate of fire and good accuracy, and the aiming mode is exactly like WoT's Battle Assistant, but even a direct hit will only do about as much damage as a hit from any other tank. Plus the target gets a warning of incoming artillery when they're being aimed at, so they can try and evade. And at higher tiers they get smoke grenades and flares that briefly reveal tanks in the target area, so they have some utility as well. Personally I find it a whole lot more fun to play and vastly less frustrating and disheartening to be in the receiving end of.

Oh and speaking of AW: Looks like they're finally starting to mix things up instead of just trying to be "WoT: The Modern Armor and QoL edition". The new gamemode they have coming up looks hella cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzkBsp1XAUs

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

AW's arti is really worthless and not worth having in the game. The only thing arti does in AW is kill the other arti (since if you fire, you become visible to the enemy arti) and then deal maybe a few hundred damage to the enemy. That's not actually fun. It was so exceptionally unfun that the unique unlockable upgrades and crew that were only available by playing arti were made available by playing other tanks, because playing arti in PvP is awful, and playing it in PvE makes it a four-player mode.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Hellsau posted:

AW's arti is really worthless and not worth having in the game. The only thing arti does in AW is kill the other arti (since if you fire, you become visible to the enemy arti) and then deal maybe a few hundred damage to the enemy. That's not actually fun. It was so exceptionally unfun that the unique unlockable upgrades and crew that were only available by playing arti were made available by playing other tanks, because playing arti in PvP is awful, and playing it in PvE makes it a four-player mode.

I fail to see the problem here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Geisladisk posted:

I fail to see the problem here

just remove the loving arti from the game, nerfing it into uselessness only adds bloat to your game