Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Sweet. I will await it.

But I'll even take a toss off "These buttons are good, look for this combo, generally do this" post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Revelator is on sale $24 (60% off) on PSN this weekend.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Is that the latest one? Can I use my PS3 stick?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

zelah posted:

Is that the latest one? Can I use my PS3 stick?

Yes, and yes, with no finagling with dualshocks and poo poo

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
ok I'm watching the edited down version of the WSO session and that throw->aegis stuff is sooooo cooooool

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Y'know what game has really loving cool throw into aegis setups

Third Strike

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I've heard that's a good game

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Third Strike is actually my favorite even though I never got to play it against anyone other than my little brother until Online edition.....where I fell in love with Hugo and Necro. Goddamn do I want Necro back :smith:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Third Strike is actually my favorite even though I never got to play it against anyone other than my little brother until Online edition.....where I fell in love with Hugo and Necro. Goddamn do I want Necro back :smith:

Necro is the best "Monster Man" character they've designed and the fact that they brought Blanka back in SF4 and Dhalsim back in 5 is baffling.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
There's no loving way that SFV requires kernel level access. Can someone please verify or debunk this that knows what the gently caress.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Otakufag posted:

So has Urine been declared garbage yet?

He's just a typical SFV character, with bad antiairs, bad reversals and slow normals. I watched LI Joe stream him a bit, and he thinks he's pretty bad.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

A.o.D. posted:

There's no loving way that SFV requires kernel level access. Can someone please verify or debunk this that knows what the gently caress.

quote:

Since this driver is so small, it's also extremely easy to tell what it does. After taking a look, I would never let this product run on my machine.
The driver first registers itself using a pseudo-randomly generated name. That's kind of suspicious. It also doesn't specify any security, so any user at any privilege level can attempt to open and control the device. That's bad.
It sets up custom handlers for opening the device object, closing the device object, and performing ioctls on the device object. This is pretty normal, although a driver that didn't set up basic security when creating its device should perform security checks when opening the device. This driver does not.
The ioctl handler is where everything "interesting" happens. It checks for control codes 0xAA012044 and 0xAA013044, does some buffer size checks, disables data execution protection and then runs the arbitrary code passed in through the ioctl buffer with kernel permissions.
In short, this driver creates a back door which can allow a non-privileged user to run code with permissions of the kernel.

also uninstalling the game apparently still leaves capcom.sys still on your computer

you'll have to manually get rid of that file from your system32 folder

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

General Morden posted:

also uninstalling the game apparently still leaves capcom.sys still on your computer

goty

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

it is also apparently an unsigned driver and is technically unsupported on the current version of Windows which may account for all the BSODs and the game not working on many PCs

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
l m a o

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

General Morden posted:

I was keeping SFV installed, just in case of a miracle patch or something, even though I haven't touched the game in like 4 months but I guess this is the perfect reason to delete the game for good.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

Creamfilled posted:

"The update comes with a hidden code to enable you to access Urien's banana hammock."

"That's good!"

"It also comes with a Capcom-developed rootkit that requires kernel-level access to your system to make sure you're not scamming FightMoney."

"That's bad."

This was the most bizarre thing when I read about it. I uninstalled SFV anyway because I'm sticking with PS4 version, the rollback issues that I basically only had on PC were enough for me to stick with console anyway.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Do AV companies classify that as malware yet? Because they should, just like the Sony rootkit poo poo back in the day.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

General Morden posted:

it is also apparently an unsigned driver and is technically unsupported on the current version of Windows which may account for all the BSODs and the game not working on many PCs

ahaha

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
It reminds me of an old game called Super Monday Night Combat, the devs had given up on it and allowed a third-party distributed bitcoin mining company to create a version of their mining software for SMNC. The devs made a sticky on their forum and recommended people to install it; for every bitcoin a user mined (worth around $70 at the time), they would be given a single key (sold for about $1.50) that unlocked their equivalent of loot boxes (like in TF2), but the loot itself was really lovely. I was really amazed to see what was left of the community install it and ask why their computers were shutting down with temps hitting 90 degrees.

I guess I'm just rambling but I don't get why Capcom is putting the resources in doing this. Seems like it will only block a small percentage of people, who will probably beat it within a week, but fucks over the PC playerbase in return.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Malware Fighter V: FM is Srs Bsns Edition

BWAHAHAHA! I'm literally laughing my rear end off over here.
What a loving joke!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I wish I could get a refund. I wish suing Capcom would be worth the time and expense.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Putting aside whether the game itself is any good, as an example of software engineering in AAA gaming this is one of the most embarrassing examples of incompetence I can think of.
Like, holy poo poo. It was bad enough when it was just "oh look they don't know how to do anything well, eight frames of input lag and their netcode is bad ha ha ha" but this is just... :wow:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Well I'm never installing this game again

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Making games is hard. You think you can just throw like Mike Z Cristina V and Hentai Artist X in a basement somewhere and come out with a game?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Wow, goddamn that's sad about MNC. That game was super my poo poo back when the first one came out on 360. It was like a proto Overwatch, if overwatch was the MOBA everyone thought it was going to be.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I seriously wonder if SFV team is full of software engineers THIS incompetent or if they were forced to implement this poo poo by the management.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's the former but if it's the latter then at least the working folks at Capcom aren't at fault.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I've heard that's a good game

Yo for real buy revelator and play me

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

It didn't surprise me when esea infected everyone with computer aids but I never imagined this day would come

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Real hurthling! posted:

Yo for real buy revelator and play me

I'm really gonna try to budget it in this weekend while it's on sale.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
After I play enough nude Urien to realize it's pointless to keep loving non-FANG sfv that is

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

I seriously wonder if SFV team is full of software engineers THIS incompetent or if they were forced to implement this poo poo by the management.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's the former but if it's the latter then at least the working folks at Capcom aren't at fault.

I'd like to think it's not possible to accidentally release an unsigned kernel backdoor. Also this is technically a Sony product, and they've done poo poo exactly like this before.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Double Bill posted:

I'd like to think it's not possible to accidentally release an unsigned kernel backdoor. Also this is technically a Sony product, and they've done poo poo exactly like this before.

I meant more like, I wonder if Capcom's software engineers thought that releasing the backdoor like that is totally fine or if they knew that it's a dumb idea but were forced to implement it anyways by the management.

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
Guys my pc just exploded in my face and burned down my house thanks to this virus crapcom installed how can i sue them

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

urien's mk chariot tackle is -3 on HIT

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah I like playing the game but the weird malware driver is the proverbial straw so I guess I will play uhhhh Skullgirls?? I don't have a PS4

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

General Morden posted:

This is the real scandal.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Goetta posted:

Yeah I like playing the game but the weird malware driver is the proverbial straw so I guess I will play uhhhh Skullgirls?? I don't have a PS4

Play Xrd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

General Morden posted:

Ken can land a full punish on that on hit? LMAO