Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

bitterandtwisted posted:

Lesson learned today: the longer you stare at a problem the stupider you get. Take a break.

I needed to make a bulk change in AD - two groups of external contacts needed their proxy address attribute changed. The correct address was already in the mail field so I figured it would be super easy to do in powershell (I'm a total beginner).
I spent a stupid long time on it before giving up and doing the big group (~70 accounts) by hand and going for a walk in a mood.

I came back and saw my mistake - the attribute is called proxyadresses not proxyaddress. It was telling me right there in the error messages.

Well I automated the poo poo out of those last 10 accounts. :mad:

Occam's Razor.

If I or anyone on my team is troubleshooting an issue for more than two hours, I always make them get up and leave their desk for a minute. Get a cup of coffee, and have them talk me through what they are looking at, while not at their PC. Then when they sit down, they almost always solve it with in five minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My solution is to post about it on the internet. The time spent typing it up and collecting information usually gives my brain time to chew on the problem. 9 times of 10 I figure out the solution right about the point I finish. On good days I never submit the post and delete it. On bad days I make the post and 20 seconds later edit it with "nevermind, figured it out."

:downs:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

bitterandtwisted posted:

Lesson learned today: the longer you stare at a problem the stupider you get. Take a break.

I needed to make a bulk change in AD - two groups of external contacts needed their proxy address attribute changed. The correct address was already in the mail field so I figured it would be super easy to do in powershell (I'm a total beginner).
I spent a stupid long time on it before giving up and doing the big group (~70 accounts) by hand and going for a walk in a mood.

I came back and saw my mistake - the attribute is called proxyadresses not proxyaddress. It was telling me right there in the error messages.

I feel your pain, I had a weird issue I'd never run into before yesterday at a different client - guy can access a shared network drive but what he sees is different than the rest of his coworkers. Drive is on the same server, everyone has the same access to it, but his drive showed missing files that other people could see. I wracked my brain looking at permissions, the computer account, testing with other logins, and narrowed it down to the PC he was using. Turned out somehow the Offline Files feature got enabled (should be turned off by GPO) and it was holding onto some really, really old data and not syncing properly. Shut it off, cleared the offline file/folder cache locally, and everything magically works like it should. loving weird stuff.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
gently caress, you just reminded me I have to figure out how/why mapped network drives aren't showing up on a bunch of Windows 10 machines even though gpresult reports a smashing success

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

xzzy posted:

My solution is to post about it on the internet. The time spent typing it up and collecting information usually gives my brain time to chew on the problem. 9 times of 10 I figure out the solution right about the point I finish. On good days I never submit the post and delete it. On bad days I make the post and 20 seconds later edit it with "nevermind, figured it out."

Oh good, it's not just me that does that.

Just the act of typing up the steps I've taken so far will often give me the answer.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

spog posted:

The sad part is that if you suggest this is not socially acceptable, they will just give you a blank look.

There are rare edge cases where it would be okay to cut your nails at work all would involve smashing the nail at the job site bad enough that it had to be dealt with. Dropping a UPS on your toe and there are shards of nail and blood.

I mean ideally this would be done in the bathroom though while you are cleaning up all the blood. It's also likely enough for you to just leave work and get some medical advice while taking worker comp.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

DigitalMocking posted:

Eww, brocade switches.
For reasons I don't understand we run Brocade for most of our switching, but we have a Cisco 2911 edge router, Cisco ASAs w/ FirePower modules, and Cisco APs.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Fudge posted:

gently caress, you just reminded me I have to figure out how/why mapped network drives aren't showing up on a bunch of Windows 10 machines even though gpresult reports a smashing success

Is is security group filtered by chance? In June Microsoft changed how GPOs are applied and this is how most people deploy mapped drives.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Holy fffuuuccckkkkk I need to stay up on stuff like that a lil better.

Thanks!

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

spog posted:

The sad part is that if you suggest this is not socially acceptable, they will just give you a blank look.

Purify with flame. :supaburn:

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

pixaal posted:

There are rare edge cases where it would be okay to cut your nails at work all would involve smashing the nail at the job site bad enough that it had to be dealt with. Dropping a UPS on your toe and there are shards of nail and blood.

I mean ideally this would be done in the bathroom though while you are cleaning up all the blood. It's also likely enough for you to just leave work and get some medical advice while taking worker comp.

I used to see it happen a lot in ERs because people would work for ever and forget about cutting their nails....and then the nails would puncture right through their gloves. Then they'd disappear to the bathrooms for five minutes and come out and their gloves would magically work!

.....And then an administrator would walk into the bathroom and come out complaining that s/he could see nail clippings in the toilet bowl. :jerkbag:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Cisco iOS feature navigator does not load files for all the firmware versions I need to compare. What a pain in the rear end.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

bitterandtwisted posted:

I do my best problem solving while taking a dump, or having a shower. Lots of eureka moments from those activities.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

xzzy posted:

Congrats, you've rediscovered Rubber Duck Debugging.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Congrats, you've rediscovered Rubber Duck Debugging.

Yeah, it's a really interesting concept. At work I'm a linux administrator, but I'm always getting developers to ask me questions about their developer problems, and I typically help them solve them simply because I hear them out and help them organize their thoughts.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

DigitalMocking posted:

Eww, brocade switches.

OK, I'll bite. What's the issue with Brocade? I've only installed their switches once or twice, so I have no real experience with them - I recall them being decent enough for what we needed (10 gig isolated iSCSI switching so no complicated configuration necessary, just passing frames), with my only real annoyance being that their ripoff version of IOS didn't allow short interface names (gi1/0/1) and you had to type out or tab-complete the interfaces. What's wrong with them?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
It isn't really anyone's fault, but I'm a bit annoyed that I lost a day of work today because all our non-critical systems were shut down so they could be moved to our disaster recovery site in preparation of the expected flood Sunday. I have stuff that needs done but with no databases it is a bit hard.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Khisanth Magus posted:

It isn't really anyone's fault, but I'm a bit annoyed that I lost a day of work today because all our non-critical systems were shut down so they could be moved to our disaster recovery site in preparation of the expected flood Sunday. I have stuff that needs done but with no databases it is a bit hard.

One of my clients (a major publisher) is taking down all of their servers and moving datacenters. I casually ask "so what day are you going to do your DR servers and backup SANs?".

"Oh, the same time, we are just going to power everything off, load all the servers and SAN's into a truck, drive them 100 miles to the other site and rack them and turn them back on."

I almost had a stroke.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

One of my clients (a major publisher) is taking down all of their servers and moving datacenters. I casually ask "so what day are you going to do your DR servers and backup SANs?".

"Oh, the same time, we are just going to power everything off, load all the servers and SAN's into a truck, drive them 100 miles to the other site and rack them and turn them back on."

I almost had a stroke.

You don't know disaster recovery until you perform EXXXTREEM disaster recovery!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Arsten posted:

You don't know disaster recovery until you perform EXXXTREEM disaster recovery!

I asked "What if that truck crashes into a telephone pole?"

They all looked at me stunned as if none of them had considered that.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Holy poo poo Treesize was about me to me real fuckin' mad.

This is just my home PC which I figured I'd do some house cleaning on, so I run Treesize on my F: drive which is an old HDD with Win 7 still on it and blow away a bunch of folders, including system folders.

Then suddenly a bunch of stuff stops working while I'm using Windows 10 on my C: drive, even worse are all my user libraries missing including recent baby pictures I hadn't backed up yet. Luckily enough Recuva could dig them back out even though I Shift+Del'd all this stuff.

I don't get it, two different discs with different OS's and I was double sure I was deleting the right stuff.

xzzy posted:

Yeah I get this too, lots of head scratching over a problem which I solve soon after sending a ticket to our MSP.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Probably more effective than my response which would have been "guarantee 10% of those hard drives will never spin up again." Which generates a lot of "so what?" type looks.

At least people can visualize a car wreck and the damage it can cause.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

To be fair, I hadn't considered that, either. I was thinking a teen driver putting on make up while texting on the phone t-boning the truck. :v:

xzzy posted:

Probably more effective than my response which would have been "guarantee 10% of those hard drives will never spin up again." Which generates a lot of "so what?" type looks.

At least people can visualize a car wreck and the damage it can cause.

But...we have backups!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Arsten posted:

To be fair, I hadn't considered that, either. I was thinking a teen driver putting on make up while texting on the phone t-boning the truck. :v:

But...we have backups!

The guy told me "well, we have tape backups offsite".

I asked "what server do you load them on to?"

More silence.

For a while I did DR planning for customers, and during meetings I'd always say "ok, so if I get hit by a bus, here's what happens, if these two principles get hit by a bus etc..."

Eventually a fund owner took me aside and asked me to stop hypothesizing with people getting killed, and instead to say "is unavailable."

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Eventually a fund owner took me aside and asked me to stop hypothesizing with people getting killed, and instead to say "is unavailable."

Next time, I would have gone "...is unavailable due to CDC quarantine."

People's base assumption if they don't die is that they can still come in and restore their Sarah Michelle Geller pics from 1992. "A coma? Pfff. He's just hitting on the nurses for time off! Tell him to get his lazy rear end in here!"

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Yeah. I switched to "wins the lottery and stops answering your calls" after one of our developers was knocked off his bike by an errant driver. It's less morbid.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Arsten posted:

Next time, I would have gone "...is unavailable due to CDC quarantine."

People's base assumption if they don't die is that they can still come in and restore their Sarah Michelle Geller pics from 1992. "A coma? Pfff. He's just hitting on the nurses for time off! Tell him to get his lazy rear end in here!"

In another meeting, in which I was sort of close to being kicked off the project, I was working a DR auditor, and going over the plans. The office in NYC, about a block from the Empire State Building.

She has an excel sheet of different levels of disasters, and what the plan is, and how we all fit in.

One tab was a 9/11 level terrorist attack or earthquake event in which (for example) the ESB is knocked down and the city is unreachable. The plan was "all required staff drive to the failover site in Philadelphia to resume business" I was required staff. I told her straight, "if there's an earthquake that topples the ESB, I'm not going to go with one of my clients two states over to make sure they can keep trading, I'm going to my family to make sure they are ok. How can we be expected to keep working and like make sure prints and file servers work when the east coast is destroyed?"

One of the partners in the meeting told me that if I can't agree to this, then they need to find a different consulting firm.

It was weird, he made a big stink, but after a couple days it never came up again.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

It was weird, he made a big stink, but after a couple days it never came up again.

The naive part of me wants to say that the dick probably realized that he'd bee line straight to his family also.

Realistically, I think he just forgot about it, and if it actually happened he would demand your head on a platter for not showing up, you dirty human being.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

mllaneza posted:

Yeah. I switched to "wins the lottery and stops answering your calls" after one of our developers was knocked off his bike by an errant driver. It's less morbid.

One of our customers told us to stop using the phrase because one of their devs was hit by a bus a few years back and killed.

About a year ago, one of our devs was hit by a bus and survived. We have his permission to use "hit by a bus", so we're OK again.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

mllaneza posted:

Most people I work with know both variations if this so I'm going to start using "wins the lottery" with air quotes.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Won the lottery and bought a farm.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I once used what if I get hit by a bus as a reason not to dump a bunch of stuff on me since my plan has always been two years at my current job. The reaction was mostly how can you joke about your own death and nothing was done about it.

Off site dr backups are still USB drive at my house rotated weekly. No I don't always remember it and sometimes it's more like 10-12 days instead of 7 max.

mitra
Sep 27, 2012

between subtle shading, and the absence of light, lies the nuance of iqlusion

Jerk McJerkface posted:

For a while I did DR planning for customers, and during meetings I'd always say "ok, so if I get hit by a bus, here's what happens, if these two principles get hit by a bus etc..."

I did take over from a sysadmin at one job where he did a lot of project work with clients on his own, and didn't have a lot of documentation. He literally was hit by a bus one day.

Turned out taking over wasn't any more stressful than any new job without proper documentation though, and I muddled through.

E: No one bothered to tell me during or after the hiring process. It was only when going through the configs in git and seeing his name on everything I had taken over and I asked about him did they tell me what happened.

mitra fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Sep 25, 2016

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Potato Alley posted:

OK, I'll bite. What's the issue with Brocade? I've only installed their switches once or twice, so I have no real experience with them - I recall them being decent enough for what we needed (10 gig isolated iSCSI switching so no complicated configuration necessary, just passing frames), with my only real annoyance being that their ripoff version of IOS didn't allow short interface names (gi1/0/1) and you had to type out or tab-complete the interfaces. What's wrong with them?

Few things;

ACL performance is abysmal. Don't even try to do MAC filtering at a port or VLAN level.
They run some weird rip-off of cross between Foundry and iOS that makes entering commands a total pain in the rear end if you're used to either Cisco or Foundry.
SNMP trap generation used to cause huge CPU spikes (fixed in more recent firmware).
For the feature set and performance, they're stupidly overpriced. When they were just Foundry, they were super fast, relatively simple layer 2 switches. They were really really good at jumbo frames, making them great iSCSI switches. Now they're mostly poo poo for the price.

(I still have 5 of them in production in remote offices until December of this year, when they get retired.)

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler

DigitalMocking posted:

Few things;

ACL performance is abysmal. Don't even try to do MAC filtering at a port or VLAN level.
They run some weird rip-off of cross between Foundry and iOS that makes entering commands a total pain in the rear end if you're used to either Cisco or Foundry.
SNMP trap generation used to cause huge CPU spikes (fixed in more recent firmware).
For the feature set and performance, they're stupidly overpriced. When they were just Foundry, they were super fast, relatively simple layer 2 switches. They were really really good at jumbo frames, making them great iSCSI switches. Now they're mostly poo poo for the price.

(I still have 5 of them in production in remote offices until December of this year, when they get retired.)

Add this to the list:
If you're using 802.1x for network access control, the switchport will ALWAYS send the mac to your RADIUS solution, even if the device responds to the .1x query from the switchport. If the mac doesn't match a RADIUS rule, THEN the Brocade will send the computername/username/correct .1x response and NO, there is no way to make it stop doing it.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I'm mildly concerned as to how well this week is going to go for work. Our main branch office has been evacuated due to a likely flood, and they are requesting that everyone work from home this week. The problem? The IT department who handles such things already admitted last week that our servers can't handle everyone working from home and we don't even have enough licenses for our VPN to have that many people connected at once.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Khisanth Magus posted:

I'm mildly concerned as to how well this week is going to go for work. Our main branch office has been evacuated due to a likely flood, and they are requesting that everyone work from home this week. The problem? The IT department who handles such things already admitted last week that our servers can't handle everyone working from home and we don't even have enough licenses for our VPN to have that many people connected at once.

"Sorry boss, I can't add the new licenses to the VPN. I can't log in"

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

More poo poo that mildly concerns you: the work from home edition

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Crowley posted:

"Sorry boss, I can't add the new licenses to the VPN. I can't log in"
You joke but we have literally this problem with one of our main backoffice applications. We have x users and roughly x*0.7 licenses. However the application is web based, just closing the browser window doesn't release the license and it doesn't time out. So occasionally an admin needs to log in and delete the orphaned sessions, but if there are no available licenses to log in, welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Khisanth Magus posted:

Sounds like someone gets to catch up on daytime TV on the company dime.