Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I'm actually a little surprised he has an axe and not the Spear of Russ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again

SRM posted:

Russ looks dope. I wish he had a beard but the model looks excellent. And the best posed primarch is Ferrus Mannus, obviously.

Was rereading Prospero Burns lately, Russ being clean-shaven is canon. Surprised me too when I read it. Also, great book, thoroughly recommend, even though Prospero and it's Burning is only a small part of the novel.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Galaspar posted:

Was rereading Prospero Burns lately, Russ being clean-shaven is canon. Surprised me too when I read it. Also, great book, thoroughly recommend, even though Prospero and it's Burning is only a small part of the novel.
Yeah, I know he's always been portrayed as clean shaven, just given the whole Viking theme it surprises me. Also kinda surprising that all 18 primarchs are clean shaven.

I finished up a quad mortar and the Praetor from Betrayal at Calth. I didn't like his head (I think Aethon is a tool) so I swapped it out for one of the super Greco-Roman heads from the Ultramarines sprue. I'm super happy with how his cape came out, especially the transfer:

And time to lose some friends:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

PantsOptional posted:

I'm actually a little surprised he has an axe and not the Spear of Russ.

IIRC he actually hated that spear and it's kind of an in joke among the old Dreadnoughts that the new wolves revere it.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

MasterSlowPoke posted:

IIRC he actually hated that spear and it's kind of an in joke among the old Dreadnoughts that the new wolves revere it.

Seriously? That's loving awesome.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
IIRC Bjorn and Grimnar tells Ragnar that after he throws the spear into Magnus' eye.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

adamantium|wang posted:

All mocked up. This thing is so much narrower than a regular Land Raider and I think I'm in love.

I'm the cock-eyed HB.

Seriously though, great conversion.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Any Eurogoons going to the open day? Im asking for... uh... Reasons..

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SRM posted:

Also kinda surprising that all 18 primarchs are clean shaven.

Older artwork of Rogal Dorn usually gave him a bitching mustache, kinda sad the art in the 30k books dispensed with it.

Scars gives Khan a sizable goatee, though.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Quick wargear question for y'all:
Say I have a centurion in terminator armor (combi-bolter, power weapon) and upgrade it to a chaplain (additional power weapon). Would I then be able to swap both power weapons for powerfists, thunder hammers, etc.?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Nice catch! The answer is yes, unless the wording specifically limits you to swapping one or the other

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

Nice catch! The answer is yes, unless the wording specifically limits you to swapping one or the other
The exact wording is "The terminator may exchange their power weapon for one of the following". Maybe that could be read as allowing only one swap. It's obviously not meant for this weird edge case. For power armored dudes it's always "may exchange their bolt pistol and/or chainsword/combat blade for one of the following". Given that, I'd probably say it's fine, but that's also because I kind of want to run a guy like this so I'm a little biased.

Another wargear question while I'm at it:
Do sonic shriekers stack? There's a guy at my store wanting to start up Emperor's Children and he seems convinced they do. I'm guessing they don't, but I don't have the exact wording anywhere and googling hasn't helped much.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah, its a weird edge case, but you would be able to swap it out for 'one of the following' as you described. As for the shriekers, I'm almost 100% certain they don't stack. Not near my book, but they've never stacked unless something changed in the latest update.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Safety Factor posted:

The exact wording is "The terminator may exchange their power weapon for one of the following". Maybe that could be read as allowing only one swap. It's obviously not meant for this weird edge case. For power armored dudes it's always "may exchange their bolt pistol and/or chainsword/combat blade for one of the following". Given that, I'd probably say it's fine, but that's also because I kind of want to run a guy like this so I'm a little biased.

Another wargear question while I'm at it:
Do sonic shriekers stack? There's a guy at my store wanting to start up Emperor's Children and he seems convinced they do. I'm guessing they don't, but I don't have the exact wording anywhere and googling hasn't helped much.

"Charge in with a unit and 3 characters. Now your dudes are at WS0"

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Way I've always played is that unless it says so specifically, like the way FNP does, multiples of the same source never stack penalties/bonuses.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Anyone knows whether or not we will be getting rules for Leman Russ on saturday?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Very much doubt so, I can't remember FW ever showing primarch stats ahead of their book.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Who was released before their book? Girllyman was dropped at the same time wasn't he?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Hencoe posted:

Who was released before their book? Girllyman was dropped at the same time wasn't he?

Yep.

Edit: Allow me to rant for a moment here. The fantastic danish 30k scene is once again showing itself at its finest. Of note: I have nothing against narrative events.

Here is the event description: https://fanatic.dk/giant-fanatic/giant-fanatic-18-warhammer-30000-horus-heresy/

It says narrative, yes, but nothing here at all says lowpower.

Then the dude hosting the event, in a bid to get more players, posted this on our club board.

"It is a low power event because the focus is on the narrative aspect"`

My first gripe with that sentence is that narrative DOES NOT equate low power. I can make a pretty fluffy and narrative WS list with javelins and jetbikes out the wazoo. My second gripe is; what is low power?

Well... The response to that query was "The organizers [The dude posting this is one of the organisers] determine what is low-power" No. loving. poo poo. Sherlock. Still no explanation as to what actually is lowpower and what isn't. He then goes on to explain he has been talking with some dudes about what army lists they want to see and dont want to see and concludes that he is now pretty sure which lists he does and does not want to see.

Well... THEN WHY DON'T YOU loving TELL ME. NEVERMIND THE FACT THAT SOME OF THE DUDES HE HAS ASKED HAS NO loving IDEA WHAT TO DO WHEN IT COMES TO ARMY BALANCE.

DJ Dizzy fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 28, 2016

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Forge World's (allegedly) doing another limited edition GW store only model on the 22nd of October.

Not sure how I feel about this one compared to the Praetor.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
I'm the badly warped banner on an official promo mini.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
That photo is all catywompus, I'd like to see what the model actually looks like when it's not a 2d image on a concave surface.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Seriously hope that it's mostly the picture because that Marine's proportions look even doofier than usual.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
You can see the ridiculous curve of the paper on the left side of the image.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
i'm the thunderthighs

also IV numeral spotted, lol this counts as the one IW mini for this year

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

DJ Dizzy posted:

Yep.

Edit: Allow me to rant for a moment here. The fantastic danish 30k scene is once again showing itself at its finest. Of note: I have nothing against narrative events.

Here is the event description: https://fanatic.dk/giant-fanatic/giant-fanatic-18-warhammer-30000-horus-heresy/

It says narrative, yes, but nothing here at all says lowpower.

Then the dude hosting the event, in a bid to get more players, posted this on our club board.

"It is a low power event because the focus is on the narrative aspect"`

My first gripe with that sentence is that narrative DOES NOT equate low power. I can make a pretty fluffy and narrative WS list with javelins and jetbikes out the wazoo. My second gripe is; what is low power?

Well... The response to that query was "The organizers [The dude posting this is one of the organisers] determine what is low-power" No. loving. poo poo. Sherlock. Still no explanation as to what actually is lowpower and what isn't. He then goes on to explain he has been talking with some dudes about what army lists they want to see and dont want to see and concludes that he is now pretty sure which lists he does and does not want to see.

Well... THEN WHY DON'T YOU loving TELL ME. NEVERMIND THE FACT THAT SOME OF THE DUDES HE HAS ASKED HAS NO loving IDEA WHAT TO DO WHEN IT COMES TO ARMY BALANCE.

It's such a bizarre hangup for this game of all games. A lot of the most powerful lists are also the most fluffy, and vice versa. If he just means "try to have 25% of your list be suboptimal poo poo," then he should say so.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Yeah. Well... At this point I'm ready to give the small 30k scene in denmark the finger, and just travel to Sweden whenever I want to play. (Malmų which is superclose has a larger scene than denmark.)

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Alright do I have everything for my game? Let's see, got the models, dice, rule books, measuring tape, passport...

Yep, all set.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

DJ Dizzy posted:

Yeah. Well... At this point I'm ready to give the small 30k scene in denmark the finger, and just travel to Sweden whenever I want to play. (Malmų which is superclose has a larger scene than denmark.)

The podcasts make the Swedish 30k scene sound amazing.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

panascope posted:

Alright do I have everything for my game? Let's see, got the models, dice, rule books, measuring tape, passport...

Yep, all set.

Passport? It's sweden, not germany.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I regret not being able to meet up with you, Dizzy. Maybe this winter?

panascope posted:

Yep, all set.

Malmų owns and it's right across the bridge from Denmark. You need your passport now because of the Syrian refugees thanks to :911: , but otherwise it's like riding amtrak from Portland OR to Vancouver WA

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Went on a painting frenzy to try and get some 7000 points finished for a showcase Apoc game next weekend at a convention up here.

poo poo is going to own so hard.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

BULBASAUR posted:

I regret not being able to meet up with you, Dizzy. Maybe this winter?

It's always winter in scandinavia :black101:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Who wants to see some WIP HQs?!?

Too bad.

I didn't bother getting my actual lighting set-up out and I'm still using a cell phone camera so these aren't the best pictures. They're unpainted WIPs so whatever, it doesn't really matter. All of these models are in need of some minor cleanup still, but I figured I'd go ahead and show them off.

Lazy Moritat:

Literally Cypher with his bolt pistol swapped for a volkite serpenta. I'll get a spare jump pack for him eventually.

Vigilator:

I took the torso of a spare Calth chaplain and stuck it on top of some crouching legs. A lot of the fancy trim got cut/filed off and the cloak was heated and bent just a little to make it fit and look slightly different. The gun is completely custom (phobos pattern bolter with a magazine and scope from a combi-flamer I wasn't going to use) and the sword had its accompanying hand trimmed away and an attempt made at continuing the spiral pattern on the grip. I think it worked out well enough.

Hyper-goth the Interrogator- Bonkers Chaplain:

This guy was originally meant for my 40k army to represent an Interrogator-Chaplain with a crozius and a Dark Angels relic mace. Tonight, I finally got around to stealing those smoke stacks and slapping a cape on him. Said cape isn't really visible at this angle, but it's just the plastic one from the Deathwing kit. The weapons are hybrids of various plastic croziuses and parts from the Deathwing kit. Lots of pinning was involved. I had to replace the original crozius as the cast was awful (finecast :v:), but I had a plastic chaplain laying around back then that I was going to convert into a Dark Apostle so I did this. Besides, I like this better than the original. He'll be run as a chaplain with two thunder hammers/powerfists/chainfists/whatever. If I play 40k again, he'll be run as intended with a unit of Deathwing Knights.

Forge Lord Superdork:

Ok, so, this guy is an HQ I have been wanting to build for the past couple of months. This guy is meant to be a complete and utter jackass wargear-wise with a Terranic greatsword, boarding shield, rad grenades, and a stasis launcher among other things. I was trying to figure out a good way to represent his massive collection of wacky grenades (boarding shields give him defensive grenades) and went with a grenade harness. I also looked into magnetizing the sword to be swappable with a thunder hammer, but it wasn't really doable with these arms, it puts too much stress on the wrist joint and even the grip of the weapon itself. There are magnets in the model, but they're glued together. Oh well, the dude has a servo-arm and I can always add a charnabal sabre if I find I really need emergency AP2. That can easily be represented by the sword the watcher's lugging around. The greatsword was made out of the MkIII heavy chainsword arms (minus the chainsword) and the huge, really ornate sword from the Black Knights kit. Again, a lot of pinning.

EDIT:
I forgot this guy. Here's another conversion; a primus medicae in terminator armor. This picture was taken with flash to try and show off the details better since it has already been primed.

A whole bunch of apothecary bits were taken from the Deathwing kit, and there are even some cables made out of guitar wire running from the narthecium/mining drill back to the torso which are just barely visible in that picture. Swapping the chainfist for the "medical" tools involved a fair amount of green stuff and sanding.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 30, 2016

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

DA is a cool and underrepresented legion. Shame they aren't as cool as space wolves :smug:

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Whats that sick helmet on Mr Crouchy?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Really digging the superdork conversion

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Sulecrist posted:

The podcasts make the Swedish 30k scene sound amazing.

I should have taken that job in Sweden :(

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Lord Twisted posted:

DA legion head from the FW upgrade kit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

Really digging the superdork conversion
Thanks. Like I said, it was a model I've been wanting to do for a while and I'm definitely happy with how it turned out. The Forge World techmarine was a great base to work off of though I didn't realize the torso and legs were one piece until it arrived. Ultimately, all I really changed are the arms and helmet while adding a few bits here and there. The final model looks less involved than it actually was. I mean, the sword is pinned in three places (the grip broke at some point). I also figure the grenade harness is an elegant solution to an imagined problem, but whatever. I like this guy.

I have come up with an idea to magnetize the arms as originally planned. The issue is the left arm, it needs to be left in place. I could magnetize the left wrist and the right arm though. I'm just wondering if it'd be worth it. Am I ever actually going to take a thunder hammer instead of the :black101: greatsword?

Lord Twisted posted:

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

DA legion head from the FW upgrade kit
Yep, the helmet is from the FW set. Same with the forge lord's. I really like the DA upgrade bits.

DJ Dizzy posted:

DA is a cool and underrepresented legion. Shame they aren't as cool as space wolves :smug:
:argh: