Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Ferrinus posted:

It seems like Polona's Space should be her M2 and vice versa. She's sick as hell though.

Strongly agree, this threw me for a loop for a few games when first learning her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUKKEN
Dec 27, 2007
PROTIP: To defeat the Cyberdemon, shoot at it until it dies.

MerrMan posted:

Quoting myself on the keybind issue - has anyone run in to this?

And thanks for the Ashka tips, headed home to hop on and give them a try! I'll try taking the first Battlerite for the E although I'll miss the zoning and dot damage from the Volcano.

Unplug your game pad, my friend had the same issue.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

Walh Hara posted:

Ha, of course I know this, but it's still very underwelming, because his E (which also pops Sands of Time) is straight up better. Ex-LMB deals only 2 more damage than his E, but his E cannot be traced, has a very useful CC, has decent AoE and has a faster cast time (and no enegery cost). It's true that you can use ex-LMB while your E is on cooldown, but the "combo" LMB -> E -> LMB -> Ex-LMB -> LMB is so extremely slow that it's just way too situational and I honestly have never seen an Oldur having the time to pull it off.

The comparison with Alch's ex-LMB is a good one, as her ex-LMB is way better. Her LMB -> Ex-LMB combo deals way more damage (48 instead of 38 is 25% more), is faster and has an useful snare instead of a very tiny knockback. Sirius' LMB -> Ex-LMB is even better (and not that much more difficult to pull off), doing 46 (or 50) damage and inflicting both weaken and snare.

I don't have time to get into client and check, but I would think that ex-lmb is easier to land. E has a shorter CAST time but the air-time is like a full second right?

Not that I'm really disagreeing with you; Oldur is one of those champs with such a strong R that it makes the EXes rarer to see, ime.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
since i got quite a few people added to the spreadsheet for the video guides thing now, i'll just blanket address you all here: please pick a hero to work on (1 for now, until we get some videos up at least) and start gathering footage! update the spreadsheet with whichever one you are claiming

i'd like to have footage collected by october 1st, which is a week. if you need more time that's fine.

throughout next week i'll start doing rough drafts for the voiceovers but if you want to write your own that's fine too.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
At work, but I think a general "how to play / what's the terminology" video isn't a bad idea. concepts like spacing, footsies, meter management, controlling mid, switching targets (no "focus healer"), etc

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Countblanc posted:

At work, but I think a general "how to play / what's the terminology" video isn't a bad idea. concepts like spacing, footsies, meter management, controlling mid, switching targets (no "focus healer"), etc

i was actually just thinking about this, yeah. that'd probably be the first video to be honest before getting into the details of each dude. i'll have a draft of this drawn up by monday.

also i was thinking about showcasing play vs certain heroes (ex: ashka vs croak or ashka vs. jade or something like that) but video bloat is a very real thing and im not sure if it'd be good to staple to the "how to" videos or instead spin it off later

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Ferrinus posted:

It seems like Polona's Space should be her M2 and vice versa. She's sick as hell though.

Yeah I'm kinda hoping they add character specific keybinds in the future, I'd prefer to put Other Side back on R, where it belongs.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Rafza posted:

i was actually just thinking about this, yeah. that'd probably be the first video to be honest before getting into the details of each dude. i'll have a draft of this drawn up by monday.

also i was thinking about showcasing play vs certain heroes (ex: ashka vs croak or ashka vs. jade or something like that) but video bloat is a very real thing and im not sure if it'd be good to staple to the "how to" videos or instead spin it off later

The way league does their champion intros is they introduce the character, their skills, and maybe a neat little combo or two, and then do a demo run showcasing how the champion performs in specific situations. They don't go through every matchup, just two or three to build off the concepts they introduced in the skill section.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Luna Was Here posted:

The way league does their champion intros is they introduce the character, their skills, and maybe a neat little combo or two, and then do a demo run showcasing how the champion performs in specific situations. They don't go through every matchup, just two or three to build off the concepts they introduced in the skill section.

oh yeah, i remember those. that'd be a good way to do it probably.

i went looking for similar things that SLS might have done and it turns out they only have a preview of Varesh, so if these get done relatively soon and have enough polish on them it'd probably be the best guide/resource collection online

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

IIRC league spotlights also present a build guide for skill leveling. We could do the same for battlerites. "For a beginner, we recommend selecting a, b, c, d, and e. These will help you with x, make y better, and provide z."

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Ruzihm posted:

IIRC league spotlights also present a build guide for skill leveling. We could do the same for battlerites. "For a beginner, we recommend selecting a, b, c, d, and e. These will help you with x, make y better, and provide z."

drat, that's also a good idea

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

I don't think I'll have a good opportunity to collect footage anytime soon, but I can certainly write up a script for Bakko.

I want to propose a template to follow, so that the videos we make have a common flow to them.

pre:
- Introduction
  - Greeting
    * "Welcome to the (name of series)
       for (full champion name & title)"

- Champion description
  - Tags (melee/ranged/support + N/E/S/W)
  - Brief summary, including positive traits

- Abilities
  - M1, M2, Space, Q, E 
    * default should be order on bottom of screen, 
      but exceptions can be made, e.g. explaining Ashka's m2 
      to describe ignite before explaining how m1 maintains it
  - R, Ex1, Ex2
  - Ultimate

- Battlerites
  - Recommendation for beginners
  - Explanation of Recommendation
  - Suggestions for common alternatives 
    w/ explanation

- Playstyle
  - Positioning/cover preference
  - Common ability combos
  - Weaknesses 
  - Miscellaneous considerations

- Conclusion
  - "Thank you for watching"
  - ?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Ruzihm posted:

pre:
- Introduction
  - Greeting
    * "Welcome to the Battlerite Video Guide
       for (full champion name & title)" (battlerite video guide is the only thing i can think of, but i also dont want it to seem like we're SLS, if anyone has a better name i'm all for it)
    * "I'm <name>, and today we're going to go in-depth with <hero> to showcase his/her strengths, weaknesses, and more." 

- Champion description
  - Tags (melee/ranged/support + N/E/S/W)
  - Brief summary, including positive traits

- Abilities
  - M1, M2, Space, Q, E 
    * default should be order on bottom of screen, 
      but exceptions can be made, e.g. explaining Ashka's m2 
      to describe ignite before explaining how m1 maintains it
  - R, Ex1, Ex2
  - Ultimate

- Battlerites
  - Recommendation for beginners
  - Explanation of Recommendation
  - Suggestions for common alternatives 
    w/ explanation

- Playstyle
  - Positioning/cover preference
  - Common ability combos
  - Weaknesses 
  - Miscellaneous considerations

- Conclusion
  - "Thank you for watching"
  - ?

pretty much covers the template i had in my mind, added a few things in the beginning.

for the ending im not sure how we want to do this. "Thank you for watching, and if you liked this video, please subscribe blah blah blah" is the standard exiter, but since we're all contributing for the work load should it be put on a new youtube channel? or do people not care where it goes as long as it goes up?

my original idea prior to getting everyone on board was to put it on my channel but that's kind of unfair to everyone else

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Hey,

this game is much better than I expected. Im glad I impulsively bought it. Ashka forever.

I wish 3v3 queues would fire though.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

I think it tries to match 3v3 stacks together, and won't match 3 stack vs 3 solo queues, maybe?

3v3 queue is pretty much instant when I stack with two friends.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I've never managed to actually successfully solo queue into 3s, and a duo would never ever queue for 3s when they can just go for 2s.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

What have you done. :stonk:

Also, I just realized I don't play a lot of 3v3 at all, and my advice might not apply there. I'm gonna note in my script somewhere that it doesn't yet take 3s into account, and someone who does play 3v3 Bakko can go in at some point and make some additions to the battlerite section if they think it's appropriate.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Ruzihm posted:

What have you done. :stonk:

Also, I just realized I don't play a lot of 3v3 at all, and my advice might not apply there. I'm gonna note in my script somewhere that it doesn't yet take 3s into account, and someone who does play 3v3 Bakko can go in at some point and make some additions to the battlerite section if they think it's appropriate.

man i dont know, quoting the pre tags breaks the forum word wrap maybe?

3s is a weird beast, i've solo queued into it three times and all three times were people on both sides just screwing around trying heroes they haven't played before

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I've done a few stacks as Bakko in 3s so I can probably weigh in though I'd have to play more before I felt comfortable saying anything authoritative.

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

I was made to understand there were grilled cheese sandwiches here.
Messing around in training, how's self healing work? Sometimes I'll be at like 150 hp trying to self heal with Lucie or Pearl and it tells me I'm at max but I can still pick up green orbs to heal.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

weinus posted:

Messing around in training, how's self healing work? Sometimes I'll be at like 150 hp trying to self heal with Lucie or Pearl and it tells me I'm at max but I can still pick up green orbs to heal.

BigLeafyTree posted:

I tested it during the first closed beta. Once you go past 40 missing hp it starts cutting into your max hp. Orbs raise your max hp by half the amount they heal whether you're already topped off or not, up to your base max hp. So little orbs heal for 12 and raise max hp by 6, the center orb heals for 20 and raises max hp by 10.

So in a matchup where there's a ton of healing going around, you need to burst for more than 40 to permanently dent someone. Also means useful healing in a short time period is 40 unless you're actively taking damage, and if you let a team with a healer disengage you're letting them heal 40 apiece.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
dunno if you all got the same email i did, but if you purchase the ultimate fan pack (the one iwth the cool mount and 10% exp) you get 5 gold chests as well

and they are retroactively applying it to previous purchasers too

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
When does the fan pack go away?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Luna Was Here posted:

When does the fan pack go away?

i dont think it ever will, its one of those premium packs that'll stick around for a while i think

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Apparently there's already a Gaming Personality Invitational tomorrow. rip my professional casting career

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Countblanc posted:

Apparently there's already a Gaming Personality Invitational tomorrow. rip my professional casting career

no bro you can still do it

just gotta believe

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
here's the info for anyone curious + some teasers for later (2 new champs in a month)

http://steamcommunity.com/games/504370/announcements/detail/580226264175355975

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Weird thing I just noticed is that all of the melee characters in this game dont have shirts. Bakko has half of a shirt I guess.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

weinus posted:

Basically you can only heal up to your max health. Your max health decreases every 40 dmg I think. Green orbs give you health and also give you back max hp

I had a lot fun playing Taya last night. Basically running circles around the enemy while whittling them down with a million boomerangs. Wind Bomb is my favorite skill in the game, theres nothing like a double wind bomb into a double x strike. Also her ult seems perfect for 2v1 comebacks

strong bird
May 12, 2009

World healing (big center orb, small green orbs) heal your real HP (black background segment) and your true (greyed out segment) back up to your starting maximum, player healing can only heal your Real HP

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

What are people's thoughts on Lucie? I like playing her to a certain extent, but in random 2s she just seems a little too weak. She has nowhere near the mobility or counters of someone like Poloma, and her damage feels weak. Having her major mobility tool be an EX-keyed ability doesn't seem to help matters, either. Am I playing her wrong?

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Vermain posted:

What are people's thoughts on Lucie? I like playing her to a certain extent, but in random 2s she just seems a little too weak. She has nowhere near the mobility or counters of someone like Poloma, and her damage feels weak. Having her major mobility tool be an EX-keyed ability doesn't seem to help matters, either. Am I playing her wrong?

I had two Lucie's last night. One was really good (the first good one I've seen in my climb from 2400 to 3500) and the other one was really bad. The really good Lucie absolutely dominated the match and threw me over her shoulder on our way to a 3-0. The really bad Lucie I encountered was on the enemy team, and she was the first one to die and it was always within the first 45 seconds of the round. That really bad Lucie was not a unique experience, the really good one was a rare sighting.

Essentially, it boils down to if you know what youre doing or not. If you know how to play her, Lucie owns bones. If you don't, you are going to lose 100%

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Luna Was Here posted:

I had two Lucie's last night. One was really good (the first good one I've seen in my climb from 2400 to 3500) and the other one was really bad. The really good Lucie absolutely dominated the match and threw me over her shoulder on our way to a 3-0. The really bad Lucie I encountered was on the enemy team, and she was the first one to die and it was always within the first 45 seconds of the round. That really bad Lucie was not a unique experience, the really good one was a rare sighting.

Essentially, it boils down to if you know what youre doing or not. If you know how to play her, Lucie owns bones. If you don't, you are going to lose 100%

Thanks. Are there any good Lucie players who post here or who have guides somewhere? I'd say my three biggest problems with her are:

1) Damage output. I never seem to be able to output enough to either outpace healing or to kill people before they end up killing me/my partner.
2) Surviving. If Croak or Spear Guy ever appear, it feels like I can kiss my rear end goodbye. Even with Panic Flask/Clarity Potion/Roll, I never seem to have enough options to get away or peel.
3) Choosing when to heal. Should I be constantly chucking out heals as soon as someone takes damage, or does that leave me too vulnerable?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Lucie lives and dies by her barrier. When it's up, get hots and dots on -everyone-, your actual sustained damage and healing is pitiful (outside of Barrier for pseudo healing). Keep in mind that clarity potion has a brief travel time and you can use it to cleanse yourself out of disables if you see an obvious one coming, like Glutton charge.

After round 3, you can get a rite for panic flask that reduces the CD by 3s if you land it, which makes it much harder for people to tunnel you. The self heal from Toxin on round 4 also helps a ton. She has an overall weak start in the first few rounds but can become an absolute monster late game if you can take an early round.

Her EX1 is great burst, especially against teams that clump. EX2 is amazing since it's a petrify which is always fantastic for isolating a target, and I think it comes with a reduced cast time so it can much harder for an opponent to dodge. Roll is her only mobility so don't feel stingy about using it, as long as you're using it to dodge and not hoping to kite with it. Her actual ult is fairly bland, though it can be a free win with its huge area in a sudden death.

She is a little UP right now, and could use some reduced cast times, longer range, or just straight damage/healing number increases, IMO.

Minera fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 23, 2016

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Which champions are good at farming the jungle?

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Duck and Cover posted:

The best champion is pingu but he hasn't been ported yet

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
I played the hell out of BLC. Glad to see it's back. Now they just need to add Reaver and Seeker so I'm not stuck playing lame alternatives. :unsmith:

Also custom 5v5s again.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
My favourite is Bakko but I find myself never using his EX abilities. Any tips on good situations to use them?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ristolaz posted:

My favourite is Bakko but I find myself never using his EX abilities. Any tips on good situations to use them?

I use his R just sorta whenever I feel it'll get its shield value, but his EX1 seems really, really situational. His EX2 is probably a great peel if you just want to get someone away from your buddy (or you) without going along for the ride. The issue is that the ability EX2 is tied to is often on cooldown since it's such a good movement tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Duck and Cover posted:

Duck and Cover posted:

haha! funny post!!

• Locked thread