Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm sorry if this has been answered, I've skimmed the last bit and can't figure this out. If I use Allo to send a message to a contact with a phone number, without them already having Allo, what actually happens? What would they see/receive?

I'm struggling to understand the point of this, over Messenger + Hangouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm sorry if this has been answered, I've skimmed the last bit and can't figure this out. If I use Allo to send a message to a contact with a phone number, without them already having Allo, what actually happens? What would they see/receive?

I'm struggling to understand the point of this, over Messenger + Hangouts.

They would recieve a text from a number they wouldn't recognize as google relays your text through their own texting network.

also if you send another text a day later there's a decent chance it will come from a completely different number that time.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

They would recieve a text from a number they wouldn't recognize as google relays your text through their own texting network.

also if you send another text a day later there's a decent chance it will come from a completely different number that time.

That's....really really stupid. What. Uggggggggggggggggggh.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vanellope posted:

Even if they have a successful "old" product? That doesn't make any sense at all. :psyduck:

It is well-known that this is how Google works. It might not be so bad if the culture wasn't also adverse to learning from their mistakes but here we are.

Vanellope posted:

I seriously doubt that the average person would care about data mining if Google made an iMessage clone. People would flock to it. I mean, Facebook has how many billion users?

You aren't wrong, users don't care that much about the datamining but in my anecdotal experience they certainly care a little and Google definitely cares. Google really squandered all their goodwill with the public with Buzz and it's apparent they know this. Just look at the granularity of settings and attention paid to privacy settings and their defaults now if you need proof. Google doesn't want the PR disaster of having to justify opting people into anything by default if it also will be used for datamining.

This is something Apple beats them over the head with and for good reason, it's basically the truth. I do wish Apple would make concessions for those of us willing to opt into it to do so, but I get why they don't.

Basically at this point it's optics and while it shouldn't be a problem, it is and it is because Google has abused the privilege of having the benefit of the doubt in the past so now they don't get that. Facebook could do it because they've never burned their users but Google has.

Vanellope posted:

Apple would only be making GBS threads all over themselves if they did that. iMessage is one of the main reasons people buy iPhones. I'd buy an Android today if it had iMessage.

iMessage still has the problem that I can't use it in a browser window at work, and no one else who runs Windows can either which is pretty much everyone.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Google really squandered all their goodwill with the public with Buzz
At least where I am (UK) the general public have no idea what Buzz is and certainly don't give a poo poo about anything that Google may have done with it ten years ago or whatever. Was this really a big thing outside of tech circles in the US?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Tunga posted:

At least where I am (UK) the general public have no idea what Buzz is and certainly don't give a poo poo about anything that Google may have done with it ten years ago or whatever. Was this really a big thing outside of tech circles in the US?

No.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

it was never a big thing at all but it certainly changed their culture. It was opt-out and exposed all of your contacts to all of your other contacts by default. Predictably that did things like allowing your stalker to track you, let your spouse know about that affair you've been having, etc. It was the first time Google was ever publicly seen as maybe not benevolent and it was certainly the demarcation point between not doing evil and doing what they do now. From that point on Google has been really shy about anything that could be seen as forcing users to do anything.

Even if users today aren't aware of what Buzz was, they're certainly aware of the general feeling about Google which, to paraphrase a Chris Rock joke, is that they're a lot like the uncle that molested you, but is paying your way through college. They're definitely creepy, but they're so useful that it's worth putting up with.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I've also never heard of Buzz, and I've been following Google/Android stuff pretty closely.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Tunga posted:

I'm a fat nerd and I have also never heard of Buzz.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Nitrousoxide posted:

Unless they have the latest Play Services on Android, in which case they get an app-looking popup with your message allowing them to reply or install the app. It is pretty slick looking.

The only way you can know which is which is if you receive the "Chatting with this person over SMS" prompt or not in the chat.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Oh, so if someone has the latest play services (which most should have??) it's a more seamless experience?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sir Lemming posted:

I've also never heard of Buzz, and I've been following Google/Android stuff pretty closely.
Wikipedia to the rescue: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Buzz

The short version is that it was a knockoff of Twitter that Google opted everyone into and used really weak security settings, so people started Buzzing stuff they didn't want public.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Oh, so if someone has the latest play services (which most should have??) it's a more seamless experience?

Yes, very much so. Here is me getting an Allo message from a buddy when I didn't have it installed.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Yes, very much so. Here is me getting an Allo message from a buddy when I didn't have it installed.

Oh weeeeird. That's good for Android users who have the latest play services I guess, which again I think that probably covers a majority of phones at least here in north america would be my guess? Doesn't solve the issue of cross platform though.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Oh weeeeird. That's good for Android users who have the latest play services I guess, which again I think that probably covers a majority of phones at least here in north america would be my guess? Doesn't solve the issue of cross platform though.

Correct on both counts.

It's really well built and lovely to use but I struggle to find it useful as an everyday app short of a few tech nerds I chat with.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Weirdly, if I try to use Allo to message anyone who's not got it installed, it just opens Google Messenger and sends an SMS. Doesn't even seem to try sending its weird message thing.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Sorry, but isn't this stuff only on Android M and up? I could be wrong there.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Mogomra posted:

Sorry, but isn't this stuff only on Android M and up? I could be wrong there.

No one that knows or gives a poo poo what Allo is are running anything pre-M

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
If you use Google Voice and don't have Allo, you can't respond to Allo messages.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

If Allo doesn't precede every message with "LISTEN VERY CAREFULLY, I WILL SAY ZIS ONLY ONCE" in a cheesy French accent, what is even the point?

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008

Lowen SoDium posted:

If you use Google Voice and don't have Allo, you can't respond to Allo messages.

I guess I knew, but hadn't really considered that Voice was also going to be offered up on the altar of Allo.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Hangouts v13 adds many more easter egg phrases, an in-app web browser, and prepares launcher shortcuts for Android 7.1

This is what the loving Hangouts team is doing instead of fixing all the bugs in the app.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

quote:

Ryan Paul of Ars Technica noted "there isn't much in BuzzAllo that is new or original" and "the end result is a service that shows promise but lacks the requisite killer feature or innovative twist that it will need in order to truly keep people engaged".[38]

Not a lot has changed.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Vykk.Draygo posted:

This is what the loving Hangouts team is doing instead of fixing all the bugs in the app.

Yeah, was talking about this earlier. I haven't had contact photos in SMS threads for probably six months (finally caved and switched to Messenger), but at least I can type /tableflip and get some dumb poo poo.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Maker Of Shoes posted:

No one that knows or gives a poo poo what Allo is are running anything pre-M

Lol OK :ironicat:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

XIII posted:

Yeah, was talking about this earlier. I haven't had contact photos in SMS threads for probably six months (finally caved and switched to Messenger), but at least I can type /tableflip and get some dumb poo poo.

This is me, I also do not have contact photos in SMS threads in hangouts. I also don't like allo. I am hosed.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

teagone posted:

This is me, I also do not have contact photos in SMS threads in hangouts. I also don't like allo. I am hosed.

I meant in Hangouts as well, FWIW.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Hangouts v13 adds many more easter egg phrases, an in-app web browser, and prepares launcher shortcuts for Android 7.1

What bugs are you all seeing? Hangouts works great for me.

XIII posted:

Do you let Google+ handle contact images? Are the images correct on contacts.google.com? When you follow back from the images in Hangouts does it lead to the correct contact card?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

LastInLine posted:

What bugs are you all seeing? Hangouts works great for me.

Do you let Google+ handle contact images? Are the images correct on contacts.google.com? When you follow back from the images in Hangouts does it lead to the correct contact card?

If I have someone on G+, it overrides the photo I've set (all five or six people in my life that have G+). All the images are correct in the Contacts app and online. And clicking their blank contact icon opens their contact card, complete with photo.

deong has this same behavior. We bitch about it twice a week or so.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

XIII posted:

If I have someone on G+, it overrides the photo I've set (all five or six people in my life that have G+). All the images are correct in the Contacts app and online. And clicking their blank contact icon opens their contact card, complete with photo.

deong has this same behavior. We bitch about it twice a week or so.

I let G+ manage my photos and I've never seen a blank contact picture in Hangouts. Admittedly though, I only receive about 10 SMSs a year since SMS is dead and buried so there isn't a lot of opportunity for a fuckup.

I have actually seen this before on a friend's Nexus and what was causing it was the way her Yahoo account was syncing with her contact list. It was causing duplicate entries for the same people that would never stay merged and the only fix was to delete the existing threads and stop syncing with Yahoo.

Even so it's time to face to bloodshed and stop using Hangouts for SMS. Also to stop using SMS.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

I let G+ manage my photos and I've never seen a blank contact picture in Hangouts. Admittedly though, I only receive about 10 SMSs a year since SMS is dead and buried so there isn't a lot of opportunity for a fuckup.

I have actually seen this before on a friend's Nexus and what was causing it was the way her Yahoo account was syncing with her contact list. It was causing duplicate entries for the same people that would never stay merged and the only fix was to delete the existing threads and stop syncing with Yahoo.

Even so it's time to face to bloodshed and stop using Hangouts for SMS. Also to stop using SMS.

SMS is used extremely widely here, it's not dead and buried. You say you get 10 a year, I get 30+ per day. The vast majority of my friends are on iPhones, and very few of them use Hangouts, they don't have a need to. Just because you want SMS to be dead, doesn't mean that it is.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

teagone posted:

Oh yeah, +1 for this. My contacts have photos in the main conversation view. But open any SMS conversation, and good bye contact photo.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

LastInLine posted:

SMS is dead and buried so there isn't a lot of opportunity for a fuckup.

I average about 1000 texts a month, data costs money and SMS is unlimited and free. It's base standard for phones and not going anywhere.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Scudworth posted:

I average about 1000 texts a month, data costs money and SMS is unlimited and free. It's base standard for phones and not going anywhere.

Data is also unlimited for me. Sucks to be poor, I guess. :smug:

If you need me I'll be over here streaming HD video nonstop.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

LastInLine posted:

Data is also unlimited for me. Sucks to be poor, I guess. :smug:

If you need me I'll be over here streaming HD video nonstop.

:chloe:

As was already discussed on pg59 - there are entire countries where unlimited data is either prohibitively expensive or straight-up does not exist.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
You don't need unlimited data for (essentially) unlimited messaging - it uses very little in the scheme of things.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Surprise T Rex posted:

Weirdly, if I try to use Allo to message anyone who's not got it installed, it just opens Google Messenger and sends an SMS. Doesn't even seem to try sending its weird message thing.

Where are you at? I'm in Sweden and get this, along with everyone I've asked. Thinking it might vary between regions.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

dissss posted:

You don't need unlimited data for (essentially) unlimited messaging - it uses very little in the scheme of things.

That doesn't matter when texting is the thing everyone already uses all the time no matter what, and sending a message with any data-based app or service is going to result in them asking why you're not just texting them. Like CLAM DOWN already said none of us have a need to abandon SMS.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Scudworth posted:

That doesn't matter when texting is the thing everyone already uses all the time no matter what, and sending a message with any data-based app or service is going to result in them asking why you're not just texting them. Like CLAM DOWN already said none of us have a need to abandon SMS.

Well, SMS is pretty lovely for groups, photos, delivery, and ordering. I bit the bullet and spent the political capital to get my friends into WhatsApp earlier this year away from our long running set of group MMS.

All told of the roughly 16 thousand messages over 8 months I've used 75 megs of data. Not including pictures or video. No idea how much of that was on WiFi vs mobile.

I felt slightly lovely when they announced Allo thinking I might have to try to do it again for the new hotness, but at this point I don't see why for all these reasons discussed. My friends seem happy with WhatsApp, not as happy as they'd be if we all switched to Apple phones and laptops, but happy enough.

And we don't have weird "I sent you a message 2 hours ago" or wildly out of order group chats, or any of the other stupid issues we had on SMS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
I can't even find an unlimited mobile data option for any telecom anywhere in Australia. Closest is like 16GB/month for about 120AUD. But basically every plan above 15AUD/month comes with unlimited / unmetered SMS and MMS. It's a loving no brainer which to rely on for day-to-day communication.