Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Smiling Mandrill posted:

According to this thread.

Focusing on clear cut cases of injustice, bringing them to the forefront, and making them part of the public conscious =utter poo poo.

Dying on the hill of an armed child molester who wrestled with the cops, then burning down your own neighborhood in a riot = positive societal change.

The fact that the average American knows the name Alton Sterling, but not Oscar Grant is a huge part of the problem whether this thread wants to admit it or not.

I don't really care what this thread thinks anyway. Most of the posters in here come off a s self loathing middle class white boys hot boxing pretentious farts in their dorm rooms. I guess it doesn't matter if the vast majority of people don't seem to grasp, or care why hes sitting in the first place. As long as the football player sitting down is pissing off your rich establishment daddy thats good enough.

You continue to excuse the excessive use of lethal force by police officers. You need to understand that just because a case isn't clear cut does not mean it isn't relevant or evidence of a more widespread problem of police practices including militarization. Each of these cases is important to the movement and to say that people should only care and champion cases with no controversy is ridiculous.

Please continue to confuse peaceful protesters with opportunistic rioters that are not in any way part of the movement or what it stands for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Smiling Mandrill posted:

According to this thread.

Focusing on clear cut cases of injustice, bringing them to the forefront, and making them part of the public conscious =utter poo poo.

Dying on the hill of an armed child molester who wrestled with the cops, then burning down your own neighborhood in a riot = positive societal change.

The fact that the average American knows the name Alton Sterling, but not Oscar Grant is a huge part of the problem whether this thread wants to admit it or not.

I don't really care what this thread thinks anyway. Most of the posters in here come off a s self loathing middle class white boys hot boxing pretentious farts in their dorm rooms. I guess it doesn't matter if the vast majority of people don't seem to grasp, or care why hes sitting in the first place. As long as the football player sitting down is pissing off your rich establishment daddy thats good enough.
An armed child molester who wrestled with the cops does not deserve to die.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

MrSargent posted:

Here is why your opinion blows. You are putting the burden on the movement to find the "right case" that will open everyone's eyes to the issue. The thing you are ignoring is that it doesn't matter how cut and dry a case is, the racists and deniers are going to make up any excuse or justification they can for why a police officer killed a black man. Even in this OK case, that has video evidence of what happened, people still try to justify the actions of the officer. You also don't seem at all concerned that the Brown & Sterling cases resulted in the death of a human being and represent an unacceptable escalation of force. Police need to be trained to deescalate situations, not shoot first ask questions later.

The only person I've heard defend the OK police woman is her lawyer. Even Donald loving Trump said it looked like a clear case of a wrongful police shooting.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Smiling Mandrill posted:

The only person I've heard defend the OK police woman is her lawyer. Even Donald loving Trump said it looked like a clear case of a wrongful police shooting.

You live a blessed life if that's the only defender you've heard.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

son you are too stupid to even understand why all of this utter nonsense you posted is wrong. honestly. this is why nobody is trying to explain it to you.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Bill Barber posted:

An armed child molester who wrestled with the cops does not deserve to die.

At what point does a person have the right to respond to a clear threat with lethal force?

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Smiling Mandrill posted:

Protesters, and activist haven't exactly done themselves any favors by choosing to champion cases like Micheal Brown, and Alton Sterling. When it turns out that the guy you are trying to turn into a martyr just robbed a store, or was armed and wrestling with the cops people turn off to your message pretty quick. Things like chanting about wanting dead cops, attacking random white people, and climbing onto the interstate, and shutting down traffic is also not going to go far in creating a dialog. Add in the factor of some of the protest turning into violent out of control riots, and its not hard to see why the majority people not directly affected by the issues of police violence have tuned out the whole movement. If BLM and other protest groups want real change they would focus solely on cases like Oklahoma, the Oakland subway shooting, and the care worker in Florida. Its a lot easier to get people on your side when the examples you put out there are clear, and indisputable proof of the message.

Some of the protest methods I don't personally agree with but it's stupid to say that as a whole BLM isn't encouraging more dialogue. Also by focusing only on cases where the victims are 'good' black falls into the stupid 'all lives matter' rhetorical trap. Black lives matter, too and the lives of criminals matter too. Law enforcement shouldn't have carte blanche to kill you just because you're selling loosies in Staten Island or if you robbed a store or even if you're wrestling with them if you aren't a threat to anyone's life.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Smiling Mandrill posted:

At what point does a person have the right to respond to a clear threat with lethal force?

instead of asking us that dumbass question, Google force escalation protocol. Not this threads job to educate your rear end

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Nobody deserves to die. Nobody deserves to live, either.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

indigi posted:

son you are too stupid to even understand why all of this utter nonsense you posted is wrong. honestly. this is why nobody is trying to explain it to you.

Rap once said something (about me) along the lines of "I don't see why I should lead a retard to water and make him drink too"

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Smiling Mandrill posted:

The fact that you keep bringing up him being a child molester, like it has any bearing whatsoever on the police shooting him, demonstrates your lack of understanding.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Smiling Mandrill posted:

Police in the UK manage to deal with pretty much all threats without lethal force.

No one deserves to die

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Politics of respectability has never been effective with these movements.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
To elaborate on my point about UK police. The only time when armed police are asked to attend are if its a "terror threat" or the assailant is armed. And even then, they do their absolute best to de-escalate the situation first.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

you're stupid

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Mandrill and other posters like cravius the type of white boys who look at their feet when black people walk by

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

The problem is not police as executioners, it's that these police execute a specific section of the population disproportionately and often without cause. Correct for this error and you have a useful tool for states both conservative and progressive.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Pron on VHS posted:

Mandrill and other posters like cravius the type of white boys who look at their feet when black people walk by

"I bet you're just saying that to make your white daddy mad. Nahnahnahbooboo"

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
its ok to shoot people dead if it turns out theyre bad people

so always bet on bad

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
wait time out there was a loving movie made about Oscar Grant lets not act like he's forgotten

Edit: also I read a zapruder film like breakdown of the helicopter footage about how Lady Cop Did Nothing Wrong. I wish I could find it again

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Tremendous Taste posted:

The problem is not police as executioners,

Well it is that too. I mean every other first world country manages a police force that kills at a rate near 1% of US cops. It's just another example of American exceptionalism at incompetence.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Pron on VHS posted:

There are so many like that too

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Kalli posted:

Well it is that too. I mean every other first world country manages a police force that kills at a rate near 1% of US cops. It's just another example of American exceptionalism at incompetence.

No, this is not a problem, it is an alternative. The fact the US outpaces other nations should be celebrated.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Chichevache posted:

Rap once said something (about me) along the lines of "I don't see why I should lead a retard to water and make him drink too"

Hell yeah

Nov 6, 2002

CyberPingu posted:

To elaborate on my point about UK police. The only time when armed police are asked to attend are if its a "terror threat" or the assailant is armed. And even then, they do their absolute best to de-escalate the situation first.

It is a poor comparison to make because the United Kingdom is not awash in firearms. It's apples and oranges.

Firearms per capita
1. United Stats - 112.6
82. United Kingdom - 6.6

Madcosby posted:

its ok to shoot people dead if it turns out theyre bad people

so always bet on bad

Remember what the cop in chopper said?

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

indigi posted:

Has anyone ever told you that you type like a white boy trying to front as a black man? Bet you got some hot sauce in your purse right now.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Ahhh man, white people can't enjoy hot sauce? :(

I loving love hot sauce!

Nov 6, 2002

Smiling Mandrill posted:

Has anyone ever told you that you type like a white boy trying to front as a black man? Bet you got some hot sauce in your purse right now.

Final form has been reached.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
fff-f-gently caress he looks like those people from the Wire, uhh*crosses street rapidly with head down*

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Pron on VHS posted:

fff-f-gently caress he looks like those people from the Wire, uhh*crosses street rapidly with head down*

Lol if you think that's not the majority of people itt

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
*in Stringer Bell voice when Donette told him he looked like a XL........* no doubt

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

NC-17 posted:

The fact that you keep bringing up him being a child molester, like it has any bearing whatsoever on the police shooting him, demonstrates your lack of understanding.

No it proves that you didn't read my initial post. My point was never that Sterling deserved to die because hes a prior felon. Its that making a man like sterling one of the faces of your cause is self defeating, and will never help lead to change. Where as cases in Florida, and Oklahoma are clear cut enough that the majority of people will spot the problem and work to fix it.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Shath Hole posted:

Ahhh man, white people can't enjoy hot sauce? :(

I loving love hot sauce!

Satire isn't funny when it has to be explained.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Smiling Mandrill posted:

No it proves that you didn't read my initial post. My point was never that Sterling deserved to die because hes a prior felon. Its that making a man like sterling one of the faces of your cause is self defeating, and will never help lead to change. Where as cases in Florida, and Oklahoma are clear cut enough that the majority of people will spot the problem and work to fix it.

No, you don't understand. Criminal behavior, past and present, isn't a reason a POC should be killed. We don't have a problem with police using lethal force against white perps the way they do with minority perps. You miss the point that the point is criminal behavior in and of itself doesn't excuse extrajudicial killings by the police.

But please keep saying it's about flawed cases. That's totally what's keeping sheltered, white people from realizing there's a problem with law enforcement in this country.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Neil Armbong posted:

No, you don't understand. Criminal behavior, past and present, isn't a reason a POC should be killed. We don't have a problem with police using lethal force against white perps the way they do with minority perps.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/upshot/surprising-new-evidence-shows-bias-in-police-use-of-force-but-not-in-shootings.html?_r=0

Imma stop you right there.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Hardened.

And if you think that was at all difficult given that kids past with violence in school alone, then you really don't know that case.

These people can turn a 19 year old virgin from Tennessee who was raped into a huge sorority slut who craves gangbangs. Making a black guy look terrifying is absolutely nothing to them.

I am painfully aware of everything in that case and I stand by my point.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

nah bitch

http://scholar.harvard.edu/jfeldman/blog/roland-fryer-wrong-there-racial-bias-shootings-police

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
lol

gottem.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

That doesn't really support your point in the way you want it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Just reading this article but it seems that the data comes from actual police reports, so it could be true that once stopped white and black people are equally likely to be shot; however, it doesn't address the point that black people are disproportionately likely to be stopped.

• Locked thread