Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Shnag posted:

Do i have a time limit to try to get a ranking for season 2? I know it must cut off at some point as i couldn't play in any games for season 1 last week. But i might stick with quick play anyways, as you might play matches with two D.Va's, but no one is having a stroke over it.

Till the last day or the day before. I had a hard time finding a comp game level 45 on the last day in Season 1 so to be safe do it a few days before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

have they said when season 2 is ending?

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

DrSeRRoD posted:

Probably up to the very last day if all you're interested it in some free comp points/icon/spray for participating (10 placement games).

IIRC you only get the icon/spray if you place in the top 500. I sure as hell didn't get anything but comp points at the end of season one despite climbing from 47 to 58 over the course of the season.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
If Blizzard doesn't make match making better I'm going to lose interest in this game. For the past two weeks every time I've played has been roll, get rolled, roll, get rolled, all ranked games. There has to be a better way, right? I don't know how to fix something like this, that's not my job, but I know every game being a blowout isn't fun for anyone. In every game last night at least one person on either side of the blowout was like "lol match making is a joke." People weren't angry about it but still it's a problem.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

LCL-Dead posted:

IIRC you only get the icon/spray if you place in the top 500. I sure as hell didn't get anything but comp points at the end of season one despite climbing from 47 to 58 over the course of the season.

There's a separate icon/spray for top 500, which is animated. If you check your sprays and player icons, you will find the default ones that were given to everyone that completed their placements. It looks like the Ilios light tower.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
The matchmaking in this game seems fine tbh.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
Suddenly I've started winning all my games when playing as Soldier and Lucio. Before that it was the constant stomp->get stomped cycle. I've shot up like 300 ranking the last two days slampicking one of those two.

I dunno if I passed some invisible line where I can suddenly carry my awful teams or if matchmaker has decided to finally show mercy.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Wildtortilla posted:

If Blizzard doesn't make match making better I'm going to lose interest in this game. For the past two weeks every time I've played has been roll, get rolled, roll, get rolled, all ranked games. There has to be a better way, right? I don't know how to fix something like this, that's not my job, but I know every game being a blowout isn't fun for anyone. In every game last night at least one person on either side of the blowout was like "lol match making is a joke." People weren't angry about it but still it's a problem.

I agree. I know some people hate the idea of being easier to force a tie than work hard for a comeback (which I guess is why a draw only gives 3 of those points) but at least close games aren't as frustrating.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Kerrrrrrr posted:

have they said when season 2 is ending?

They said something about seasons being 2 to 3 months, but I don't think they've been more specific.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!

Wildtortilla posted:

This isn't my experience at all. I'm ~2500 and nearly every match is close and there are often pretty dramatic comebacks and last stands.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Wildtortilla posted:

If Blizzard doesn't make match making better I'm going to lose interest in this game. For the past two weeks every time I've played has been roll, get rolled, roll, get rolled, all ranked games. There has to be a better way, right?

I believe part of the problem is that teams are so small, allowing one lovely player to greatly influence the match.

If the game was designed around 10v10 or 12v12 then the problem would be less pronounced like in CoD. Though in CoD it's usually the top three on each side making 50%+ of all their teams kills.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

That one sombra countdown has now been going for a month and it's at 56%

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Rufio posted:

This isn't my experience at all. I'm ~2500 and nearly every match is close and there are often pretty dramatic comebacks and last stands.

I think it depends on if you're at your real skill level or not. If you get even matches all the time then you probably are. If you constantly stomp/get stomped you're probably being grouped with and against significantly worse people.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Sombra having any kind of stealth or invisibility will result in tears because if mobas are any indication people arent satisfied until the stealth mechanic is virtually useless.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Rufio posted:

That's not surprising at 2500. Take many of the sub-2000 ranking games though and you are getting the chronic leavers, trolls, Genji slampicks and so on. It's very easy for one team to have a very significant advantage early on.

At 1400 rank for example you could have six players with terrible aim and situational awareness, but so long as none of them leave, get salty or insist on sticking with a character they do terribly in theyll still face roll a team that doesn't accomplish one of these three things.

I'm betting at diamond and onward deliberate leavers become exceedingly rare, meaning you are among 12 people all putting similar effort into winning, resulting in close games.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I had an amazing comeback last night where we managed to somehow win a 5v6 on kings row and captured the payload during round 3 at overtime and rode it all the way to the end of the map. Sometimes I love this game

Panfilo posted:

That's not surprising at 2500. Take many of the sub-2000 ranking games though and you are getting the chronic leavers, trolls, Genji slampicks and so on. It's very easy for one team to have a very significant advantage early on.

At 1400 rank for example you could have six players with terrible aim and situational awareness, but so long as none of them leave, get salty or insist on sticking with a character they do terribly in theyll still face roll a team that doesn't accomplish one of these three things.

I'm betting at diamond and onward deliberate leavers become exceedingly rare, meaning you are among 12 people all putting similar effort into winning, resulting in close games.

There is no escaping elo hell, sorry to break it to you. Every elo is the worst.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
doublepost

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I had a game last night where the scoreboard showed 5 people and an empty slot for my team, but we had 6 guys. I felt like we were so badass being able to win 5v6 until I saw we had a junkrat that wasn't on the scoreboard

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Kashuno posted:

I had an amazing comeback last night where we managed to somehow win a 5v6 on kings row and captured the payload during round 3 at overtime and rode it all the way to the end of the map. Sometimes I love this game

There is no escaping elo hell, sorry to break it to you. Every elo is the worst.

Assuming its true, as long as your own individual performance weights more heavily on your ranking, it should help people who actually try to be capable of pulling themselves out of such doldrums. Like if you lost a match but did as well as you could in such a situation you should lose less ranking points than if you quit or played terribly. This would also mean mediocre players aren't going to get carried upward too far to the point they're becoming a liability for their teammates at high ranks.

But I'm not certain how much of a factor individual performance has in it.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Sombra should be the Abathur of this game. Complete with hat.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Wildtortilla posted:

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745504371

read the blue post here, what you're asking for doesn't exist and basically can't exist due to the human element

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Got this got a week ago and looking to play with some goons. I have never used Discord before, but it looks like the go to for grouping. Figure I will fire it up tonight and give it a shot. It will be nice playing with a group that (hopefully) actually uses voice chat.

Is it only people looking for competitive matches on Discord, or will I find casual players looking for quick play groups?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

it's both

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Excellent. Thanks.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Lt. Chips posted:

Got this got a week ago and looking to play with some goons. I have never used Discord before, but it looks like the go to for grouping. Figure I will fire it up tonight and give it a shot. It will be nice playing with a group that (hopefully) actually uses voice chat.

Is it only people looking for competitive matches on Discord, or will I find casual players looking for quick play groups?

I installed Discord last week and it has made the game a 100% better experience overall. Goons are chill in both QP and comp. Some highlights of goon discord:

1. I was part of a group that helped get a goon to diamond.
2. Gained 300 standing in a single evening.
3. Stumbled into a group with a goon that I used to play Dota with years ago and got to catch up over a couple quick play matches.
4. Constructive criticism and lots of communication and call outs instead of "I hope that group is in team chat."
5. I finally learned how to switch up team comps mid match and watch the game swing to our favor.
6. Had a discussion that lasted multiple games on whether Hitler was ever a real person.
7. Played comp regularly with a goon who has limited use of his hands and I think types with something in his mouth, but gently caress it he's chill, competitive, and likes to recommend people swap to Winston a lot.

I'll play comp with anyone I don't care if you're 1700 or 3100. I don't think I've run into a single goon yet that was completely insufferable in chat or super mad. I think I've seen a couple goons excuse themselves from group when they are getting tilted which is cool since they at least have the decency to not ruin the rest of the games for the others. Maybe I've lucked out.

P.S. My season high is 2455 and I'm currently sitting at 2356 and want to hit plat this weekend possibly. Come play with ya boi poem. poemdexter#1839

poemdexter fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 23, 2016

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Yep, SA Overwatch Discord is a great place. Tons of really cool people to play with, and it's only gotten better.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
That's great to hear. I'm enjoying the game, but it has been a very detached experience so far. Definitely giving Discord a try tonight.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Panfilo posted:

Sombra having any kind of stealth or invisibility will result in tears because if mobas are any indication people arent satisfied until the stealth mechanic is virtually useless.

That's mainly because "player can become invisible" is impossible to implement in a balanced fashion. It'll either be a useless shimmery blob with footsteps or gamebreaking full-on invisibility to bypass the enemy without detection whatsoever. It won't be useful at all unless there's a surprise/backstabbing damage bonus, which means you're going to just head right for the Reinhardt every time. After that you're going to be considered a disposable tank killer unless there's a solid escape or a very short cooldown for re-entering stealth mode. So at this point you're a character with the ability to go right behind the enemy's formation and open up with tank-busting levels of damage before making a safe exit.

Cool, we have a lady reaper with a sugar skull mask and invisibility instead of a teleport, congrats on placing this new and unique hero in the game.

Lt. Chips posted:

You'll basically only find people looking for "let's all play our least-used heroes" QP since the season's well enough underway and anyone who wants to play comp already has a group of regulars they stick with. On the other hand, solo queuing for comp is far more of a known quantity than comp queuing with goons because you aren't going to be expecting communication and competency from pubs so you won't get let down like you will with goons.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 23, 2016

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Romulux posted:

There is. I've said exactly what instances I would and wouldn't want to be boosted in. If you boost me while I need to shield you're wasting your ult. I don't feel like explaining my same point over and over, you can read my posts again if you'd like or just settle with the fact that you're wrong. Being boosted randomly as rein is stressful and not at all ideal.

Yeah almost lost yesterday because after 90% of a match, we finally were getting a good push in with my shield up and . . . Ana boosted me? I should've just ignored it so it was my fault but the only enemy up was a roadhog who I did kill but that was enough time for them to get back and stop the push with no shield up and we didn't move the cart again.

Surprisingly we forced a draw even though we didn't push the cart past the gas station, by like inches.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
p sure reaper has a passive that turns him invisible if you press ctrl while walking up behind mercy

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I mean Sombra being some sort of tankbuster wouldn't necessarily be the worst thing given that 3-4 tank comps are the new hotness and even Reaper + Zen can't stem the tide against all that meat before someone gets nanoboosted and goes on a rampage. That's the principle reason behind the Ana changes in the PTR but even so having another hero besides Reaper who specializes in dealing with tanks wouldn't be an unreasonable amount of overlap given all the other heroes in the game whose roles and functions are similar.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Is it mostly pc players on discord?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

RC Cola posted:

Is it mostly pc players on discord?
Only PC players

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Panfilo posted:

It's just gonna be the Predator cloak they always do anyway. And word on the street is she's a tank, which means a big, imposing silhouette.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
A hacker tank sounds pretty neat to be honest.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

poemdexter posted:

I installed Discord last week and it has made the game a 100% better experience overall. Goons are chill in both QP and comp. Some highlights of goon discord:

1. I was part of a group that helped get a goon to diamond.
2. Gained 300 standing in a single evening.
3. Stumbled into a group with a goon that I used to play Dota with years ago and got to catch up over a couple quick play matches.
4. Constructive criticism and lots of communication and call outs instead of "I hope that group is in team chat."
5. I finally learned how to switch up team comps mid match and watch the game swing to our favor.
6. Had a discussion that lasted multiple games on whether Hitler was ever a real person.
7. Played comp regularly with a goon who has limited use of his hands and I think types with something in his mouth, but gently caress it he's chill, competitive, and likes to recommend people swap to Winston a lot.

I'll play comp with anyone I don't care if you're 1700 or 3100. I don't think I've run into a single goon yet that was completely insufferable in chat or super mad. I think I've seen a couple goons excuse themselves from group when they are getting tilted which is cool since they at least have the decency to not ruin the rest of the games for the others. Maybe I've lucked out.

P.S. My season high is 2455 and I'm currently sitting at 2356 and want to hit plat this weekend possibly. Come play with ya boi poem. poemdexter#1839

I can confirm Poem is chill and good and fun to team with

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Kenshin posted:

Only PC players

Lame

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

I need some Lucio protips. When exactly should I use my ult?

I've been making the mistake of using it for every damage ult, which I've realized is bad. Like Mccree will just have to wait a second or two longer and then you die anyway. It also doesn't protect from D.Va's ult, which I thought it did.

So when DO I use it? Reaper and Pharah?

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Thoughtless posted:

I need some Lucio protips. When exactly should I use my ult?

I've been making the mistake of using it for every damage ult, which I've realized is bad. Like Mccree will just have to wait a second or two longer and then you die anyway. It also doesn't protect from D.Va's ult, which I thought it did.

So when DO I use it? Reaper and Pharah?

you will be dead before you hit the ground if you use drop the beat reactively against reaper or pharah ult.

you don't use it to counter things. it's not like transcendance and has no sustained healing to save you from a cluster of ults, if you even get it off in time.

call out to your teammates to engage, amp up your speed boost, and hit q as they are reaching the enemy team. hit q as a major engagement is taking place, and the enemy team has gone in too deep to just back out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Also use it as a combo with offensive ults that leave your DPS exposed, like drop the beat right as your reaper is going into death blossom