Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

In the smilie ideas thread someone said,

A helpful goon replied,

A robot apparently thought that was hilarious, and this happened,

And here we are.

:guinness:
:boobeer:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Smilie Ideas is a good thread.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
is there a summary of what happened with gbs?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Adix posted:

:gas:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Adix posted:

:regd16:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Adix posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCbfMkh940Q

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

As best as I can gather, the admins didn't like it - thought that it was offensive and difficult to read, with a lot more bad than good. Not a good thing for the "main" forum and a thing new people would see. It's going to be rebooted sooner or later with new mods and rules in an attempt to get a fresh start on the whole thing rather than just going and gassing/banning half a forum that's been hostile to a lot of moderation.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Relevant new smiley: :regd16:

E: loving doooohh I thought SneakyFrog's post was in another thread.

AlphaKretin has a new favorite as of 14:21 on Sep 23, 2016

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

:gowron:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

AlphaKretin posted:

Relevant new smiley: :regd16:

E: loving doooohh I thought SneakyFrog's post was in another thread.

its ok friend, I rarely get the jump on any of you speedposters

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Adix posted:

-someone made a QCS thread suggesting that GBS be hidden to non-registered viewers because they thought having such a bad and unfunny forum be the first thing people see might scare off new regs.

-GBS posters flooded the thread en masse calling the OP a triggered tumblrina with hurt fee fees who must be incredibly fat, a tranny, a milennial, Chinese, a Democrat, Mount Everest, etc.

-having handily illustrated how bad and unfunny GBS is the admins went one step further deleted it altogether

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Guy Mann posted:

-someone made a QCS thread suggesting that GBS be hidden to non-registered viewers because they thought having such a bad and unfunny forum be the first thing people see might scare off new regs.

-GBS posters flooded the thread en masse calling the OP a triggered tumblrina with hurt fee fees who must be incredibly fat, a tranny, a milennial, Chinese, a Democrat, Mount Everest, etc.

-having handily illustrated how bad and unfunny GBS is the admins went one step further deleted it altogether

Tho since then they've said shutting down GBS was in the cards for months.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Guy Mann posted:

some threads were rehomed in less abusive forums though :unsmith:

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

While we're having this discussion, what is this coconut gun thing that keeps popping up in the QCS thread on GBS? Some gbs meme I missed? A word filter thing? A honey pot for people like me?

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Guy Mann posted:

these are both really good thanks

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

MooCowlian posted:

While we're having this discussion, what is this coconut gun thing that keeps popping up in the QCS thread on GBS? Some gbs meme I missed? A word filter thing? A honey pot for people like me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcP91tQ4ZSM

and the meme mashup that I assume the coconut gun thing came from
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKDlqdsw1i8

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

MooCowlian posted:

It's a reference to the DK64 rap; specifically "coconut gun" is a reference to Silvagunner, the guy who makes parody song rips and puts them on youtube.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

What do you mean GBS was unfunny and hostile? You don't think a front page that's just "what if Seinfeld was set in (time period)" or all the "ITT we are (blank)" weren't FANTASTIC?!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

There were about 3 worthwhile threads in the first 3 pages of GBS. The only reason I noticed it was missing was because I was looking for the Anonymous Confessions thread.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Len posted:

What do you mean GBS was unfunny and hostile? You don't think a front page that's just "what if Seinfeld was set in (time period)" or all the "ITT we are (blank)" weren't FANTASTIC?!

If you were a Seinfeld character, you'd be Bania.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

There were about 3 worthwhile threads in the first 3 pages of GBS. The only reason I noticed it was missing was because I was looking for the Anonymous Confessions thread.
The OSHA thread, the Awful Kickstarters thread and ...?

e: OSHA is now in the DIY forum, and Awful Kickstarters is in PYF.

Collateral Damage has a new favorite as of 15:47 on Sep 23, 2016

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Collateral Damage posted:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

there was a :3: where someone rescued a dog and then the /r/relationships reboot which survived for about 3 posts in PYF before gassing uhm... the tech relics thread.. there are a few that were good... mostly poo poo though

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
The anonymous confessions thread is now in E/N

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Choco1980 posted:

E/N is now in BYOB

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

e: OSHA is now in the DIY forum, and Awful Kickstarters is in PYF.
The F-35 thread now lives in GIP, and the everest thread in RSF

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

MooCowlian posted:

it is not a honey pot, i just think it is really funny, and i encourage you to open your heart and enjoy as i and many other users do.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

Choco1980 posted:

I think there were two and that's the one that originated in E/N, but I could be wrong

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

pog boyfriend posted:

it is not a honey pot, i just think it is really funny, and i encourage you to open your heart and enjoy as i and many other users do.

Oh man, it's good GBS is closed, and people can now repeat the same unfunny thing in other subforums. Could be even funnier, if you change some letters in the word coconut. That would be the level of comedy GBS in its current state could never achieve.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Are those Lying Crooked Hillary... I guess, gangtags(?), supposed to be ironic or serious?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

yes

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Are those Lying Crooked Hillary... I guess, gangtags(?), supposed to be ironic or serious?

it is one of those low level irony things where it looks like it is ironic but you know deep down that they are very earnest and heartfelt about the whole thing.

Paladinus posted:

Oh man, it's good GBS is closed, and people can now repeat the same unfunny thing in other subforums. Could be even funnier, if you change some letters in the word coconut. That would be the level of comedy GBS in its current state could never achieve.

i mean, gbs does not exist in its current state, so that is a given i guess? shoot me a pm if you want to brainstorm letter changes in the word coconut though. i would be glad to boomerang ideas back and forth with a comedy master such as yourself paladinus.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

[after thinking for a very long time silently] Bobonut.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

pog boyfriend posted:

it is one of those low level irony things where it looks like it is ironic but you know deep down that they are very earnest and heartfelt about the whole thing.

i mean, gbs does not exist in its current state, so that is a given i guess? shoot me a pm if you want to brainstorm letter changes in the word coconut though. i would be glad to boomerang ideas back and forth with a comedy master such as yourself paladinus.

Sent you a PM. It's work in progress, but I feel like I'm moving in the right direction.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

RareAcumen posted:

They were made by Trump supporters, and people in the Hillary toxx thread used it for their own gangtag if you were willing to permatoxx for her.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

net cafe scandal posted:

Woah

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

net cafe scandal posted:

I don't get it. Is this also an in-joke. Can anyone out it for me, please?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Paladinus posted:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
wowonut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Cocobut