Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Setting aside the flawed conclusion about shootings, it shows that minorities are on the receiving end of uses of force by statistically significant margins. So where am I wrong about a need for reform of police treatment of minority perps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Neil Armbong posted:

Setting aside the flawed conclusion about shootings, it shows that minorities are on the receiving end of uses of force by statistically significant margins. So where am I wrong about a need for reform of police treatment of minority perps?

You're wrong in that the reform is actually necessary in treatment of non minorities

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Did you even read the article you posted? Because if you did you probably wouldn't have posted it to support your stupid opinion.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

CharlestheHammer posted:

That doesn't really support your point in the way you want it too.

No it does. I was specifically addressing the part of his post I quoted.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

So I just wanna thank whoever bought that banner ad, real Bang Up Job you did there.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

No Butt Stuff posted:

So I just wanna thank whoever bought that banner ad, real Bang Up Job you did there.

I am on mobile what is it

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Smiling Mandrill posted:

No it does. I was specifically addressing the part of his post I quoted.

No it doesn't because the research they did was statistically insignificant. The cities they researched make up 4% of the population and the demographics of these cities are not an accurate representation of the demographics across the country as a whole. Why do I have to spell this out for you?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

I am on mobile what is it

I was wrong. I was thinking Volkerball's hot take was in this thread, not the stadiums one.

So this just occurred organically. Even better.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Because he didn't read the paper. He thought it supported his point so he used it.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

CharlestheHammer posted:

Because he didn't read the paper. He thought it supported his point so he used it.

Reading research is for white middle classed college kids wasting their rich daddy's money

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I'm bored of chimpout guy, so instead:

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/779369042050187264
https://twitter.com/fbgchase/status/779372978735906816

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

CharlestheHammer posted:

He very likely just immediately Googled "police homicide rate white black same" and posted the first big news source he found.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Lol like Wilson isn't gonna go full OJ Simpson.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The same drat article you apparently didn't read posted:

This work focused only on what happens once the police have stopped civilians, not on the risk of being stopped at all. Other research has shown that blacks are more likely to be stopped by the police.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Bill Barber posted:

He very likely just immediately Googled "police homicide rate white black same" and posted the first big news source he found.

that study has a lot of fans in the Hannity/Trump/etc crowd, all people who scanned the headline saw the university and got excited

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

This thread was going just fine until :regd16: got shutdown.

What a spooky coincidence.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

This.

Even using Byers report, if the probability of being shot for being white or black is the same

but if more blacks are more likely stopped

then

more blacks are shot by cops

nerd argument:
If P(Shot | white ) = P(Shot | Black ) and P( Black Stopped ) > P (White Stopped )

then
(P(Black stopped AND Shot) = P(Black stopped) * P(Shot | Black ) ) > (P(White AND Shot) = P(white stopped) * P(Shot | white ) )

aka the probability of being black and being shot by cops is greater than whites being shot, by the same report

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Arguing for respectability politics around protesting for victims of police brutality is dumb as poo poo. This isn't like trying to get a law overturned by the Supreme Court where you want a good case that challenges a law in a specific way to get the desired outcome. There is already a narrative where only a "few bad apple" officers are shooting black people and it shouldn't be enabled by only talking about the ones white people can't easily justify in their head. White society isn't going to be accept change needed within policing as a whole without being made uncomfortable and forced to constantly examine the way black people are dying at the hands of police officers. The level of accountability police are held to is woefully misaligned with the privileges they're given but white people consider it a problem because they aren't victims of it like people of color. It needs exposure in every case for a difference to be made.

WHOOPS fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 23, 2016

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Mandrill, it appears you believe BLM must thoroughly vet any black man gunned down by police before campaigning for justice. It also appears you don't believe cops need to vet these men before gunning them in the street.

Why?

Madcosby posted:

This.

Even using Byers report, if the probability of being shot for being white or black is the same

but if more blacks are more likely stopped

then

more blacks are shot by cops

nerd argument:
If P(Shot | white ) = P(Shot | Black ) and P( Black Stopped ) > P (White Stopped )

then
(P(Black stopped AND Shot) = P(Black stopped) * P(Shot | Black ) ) > (P(White AND Shot) = P(white stopped) * P(Shot | white ) )

aka the probability of being black and being shot by cops is greater than whites being shot, by the same report

:lol: nice

He's right. Bennett owns.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Madcosby posted:

nerd argument:

then

hahahaha this is great

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Note the Byers report does not claim P(Black Stopped) > P(White Stopped), it's not part of the study

the Byers report only determines probabilities, if stopped.

Other reports suggest the higher prob of blacks being stopped than whites.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
excuse me i dont see you accounting for the D(Deserved it) factor

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/kirkmorrison/status/779656475115261952

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Guaranteed idiots on facebook are gonna forget about the Kinsey shooting at think he's trying to become a cult leader.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/ShaunKing/status/779722711597801472

loving hell Colin Kaepernick is amazing

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Seriously out of all the things to come out of this, Kaep becoming a social justice leader was not expected

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

CortezFantastic posted:

Seriously out of all the things to come out of this, Kaep becoming a social justice leader was not expected

The only disappointing thing about this is how many kids are going to be named Colin after he's martyred. :negative:

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
hell im already changing my name to colin

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

CortezFantastic posted:

loving SJQBs

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Mel Mudkiper posted:

loving RoboQuBes

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

This is extremely cool

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

CortezFantastic posted:

He's really good at it, he should quit his day job.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
His day job is giving him a platform to reach a massive audience, though. Without the NFL exposure, racists can easily ignore him. With the NFL exposure, they have to at least hear his concerns because they're not turning off NFL games despite what they would tell a pollster.

Also, I'm not sure if it was covered, but Mike Ditka weighed in. It's about as insightful as you'd expect.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Mandrill, I don't really know how genuine you're being here (I have heavy doubts), but the reason Michael Brown gets mentioned more than, say, Eric Garner is more based on regionalism than necessarily the conduct of the person in question. Yeah, Staten Island is heavily white from all I know, but you have situations in St Louis (heavily black but not empowered), Baltimore (heavily black but not empowered), and now Charlotte (heavily black but not the most empowered, apparently). So it focuses on how these are cultural problems, problems that distill down the police and create inequalities. There's also just a "first person past the mark" focus on it - Michael Brown overshadowed Garner because he was initial.

Anyway, hope the African-American players on the Panthers come out in shirts that say, "Hi! Please don't shoot me!" tomorrow.

Also, my favorite spun stat is "Cops kill more white people than black people!" when, if you look at the numbers, black deaths account for, like, a third of the deaths, and last I checked, uh, black people didn't make up a third of America's population.

Probably Magic fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 24, 2016

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Someone, somewhere wrote this desperately wishing it were true.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Blind Pineapple posted:

That's why Chip Kelly is supporting Kaepernick. He's hoping other teams will fire good players in a fit of rage that he can pick up cheap and have a decent team next year. drat, that's some fourth dimensional chess poo poo.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Shath Hole posted:

Ahhh man, white people can't enjoy hot sauce? :(

I loving love hot sauce!

Cholula on my pizza is like ketchup on my fries... I could eat it without, but fuckin' WHY?

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Blind Pineapple posted:

I saw the same thing on facebook but this time it was Jerry Jones.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Blind Pineapple posted:

yeah, it's not like they locked arms last week and definitely didn't put their hands over their hearts or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

General Dog posted:

He's really good at it, he should quit his day job.

It's awesome he finally found something he's good at.

• Locked thread