Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

If anyone watches HeirofCarthage, thoughts on his latest video about how bad Chaos is after playing them for a week? Are there any truths to his criticisms or is he just not getting a handle on them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn4y4DpsrUE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

headspace posted:

Here is what I have done on my latest play-through.

Steel Faith Overhaul (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=704361604) - The changes he made to dwarfs are awesome.

Agreed on this. I really like this mod. Changes to other factions are more mixed but he absolutely nailed Dwarfs. Playing them feels impactful the way playing Empire or VC does in Vanilla. Not overpowered and still with significant limitations but you don't feel like your permanently crippled and fighting uphill by virtue of playing Dwarfs.

I'm using it, AI autoresolve bonus, and Orcs conquer anywhere. If it had a couple of the more restrained unit packs incorporated and the AI building mod, I would use it full time instead of just when I'm playing Dwarfs

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Nephthys posted:

If anyone watches HeirofCarthage, thoughts on his latest video about how bad Chaos is after playing them for a week? Are there any truths to his criticisms or is he just not getting a handle on them?

He's right about Chaos (along with Dwarfs) being garbage in multi.

-Your strengths are only a bit stronger then they are in other factions and some of those strengths aren't actually all that strong
-Youre one dimensional. Other factions are more diverse and unpredictable. They can counter you but you don't know how to counter them.
-Common heavy armor isn't much of an advantage since armor piercing is present on most good units people would bring anyway and since they know you're bringing it they can just bring more of them
-Your flying mounts are garbage . In the current meta of heal pit spamming super generals and heroes, this is a big deal.
-Lack of access to current cheap tactics

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Nephthys posted:

While there is some truth about it, but in general he is a big whiner and not that good at the game, if you want to see someone who knows what they're doing in multi using all factions, I'd suggest checking out Turin who does some real cool plays with commentary.

Choyi fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 23, 2016

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

toasterwarrior posted:

Dwarfs having such a lovely agent game is also a big culprit in that problem. You need T4-5 settlement buildings to even go above your initial hero cap of one; in comparison, the Empire gets +hero capacity for most of theirs with the same buildings you use to recruit them at T3.

I hope they can get Daemon Slayers as Heroes one day; they can fulfill the assassin archetype while being the more offense-oriented counterpart to Thanes in battle.

I've been playing co-op lately and the lack of free early event agents really emphasizes how unbalanced agent number and access is. As dwarfs, prepare to suffer endless enemy agent actions with no way to respond for a long time. Then once you get them, not only are they out numbered but their out leveled since they've been in the action for much less time. Empire suffers from a delay in access but can bring the hurt once they get them online due to variety, numbers, and accessible recruit level bonuses. Beastmen would suffer as bad as Dwarfs, if not worse, but they have Hidden Encampment.

SickZip fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 23, 2016

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Nephthys posted:

They're the second worst faction in the game by my opinion. Some of the problems he's having are that he seemed to have better comments coaching with the dwarves so was having more interesting success with them compared to chaos.

Choyi posted:

While there is some truth about it, but in general he is a big whiner and not that good at the game, if you want to see someone who knows what they're doing in multi using all factions, I'd suggest checking out Turin who does some real cool plays with commentary.

Heir's faction breakdowns are usually pretty articulate, accurate and well reasoned even though he is by his own admission not the best player. People don't really watch his videos for top level play, but to be honest I wouldn't really recommend Turin if you want top level play either, you'd need to watch someone like Prussian Prince (he casts competitive matches). But if you want to learn, the best teacher is probably Maximus who also is a relatively bad player.

Yukitsu fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 23, 2016

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I feel like Chaos suffers from the other factions elite infantry being AP. As Empire, Greenskins, VC, even Bret your sturdy elite infantry is AP or has options to be AP. Most people bring a few greatswords, black orcs, ect because they prop up the main battle line very well no matter what. So it's almost a given that any army Chaos faces will have some strong AP lined up against it, and because those elite infantry are solid picks no matter what, the Chaos's opponent doesn't have to sell out to get that advantage.

In another way - Chaos's main advantage is their mainline infantry can tear poo poo up vs other factions mainline infantry. But no one is going to bring poo poo that Chaos can tear up, they will just load up on elite infantry.

Also they are slow. Battles and movement in Warhammer is much faster than previous titles like Rome 2 and slow speed sucks.

Edit: I think what Chaos needs, and would make the game interesting in general, is an option to enforce something similar to tabletop rules for core/rare/special being 25/50/25 percent cost of your army.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 23, 2016

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Based on some testing I was doing last week, Chosen can easily take on more than their price in Swordsmen or Spearmen without even losing much health. Problem is, why would you take basic infantry as Empire when you could just bring a unit of Greatswords or Flagellants+Handgunners for the same cost as those Chosen? All the Chaos infantry suffer from this problem and it's not as if they have much else to lean on otherwise.
They're also not helped by their lords and cavalry being expensive, having poor anti-air, and the Lore of Metal being a complete non-entity. I think Marks of Chaos would be an interesting way to help alleviate some of their issues, but we probably won't see those until the third game. In the meantime, Chaos could use another round of price drops on their core units. Improvements to Death or Metal would help them too.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Yukitsu posted:

Heir's faction breakdowns are usually pretty articulate, accurate and well reasoned even though he is by his own admission not the best player. People don't really watch his videos for top level play, but to be honest I wouldn't really recommend Turin if you want top level play either, you'd need to watch someone like Prussian Prince (he casts competitive matches). But if you want to learn, the best teacher is probably Maximus who also is a relatively bad player.

The faction breakdowns are all right but he still occasionally gets some stuff wrong based on his opinion more then stats or uses that he either overlooks or overestimates, but overall Heir is still a good watch for TW stuff. I still feel he can come out as a bit of a whiner many times.
As for Turin, up to this point he seemed to be one of the best youtube players(who is still bearable) that I could find, he uses a lot of outside the box thinking builds and his commentary is mostly upbeat and positive which I enjoy.

I've looked at Maximus's stuff before and its been "ok", guess I'll have to check out that prussian prince guy next.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Just staved off the Chaos invasion as the viking dwarves. Those fuckers in the south are gonna pay for showing me zero gratitude.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

fnordcircle posted:

Just staved off the Chaos invasion as the viking dwarves. Those fuckers in the south are gonna pay for showing me zero gratitude.

You Dwarfs sure are a contentious people.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Mordja posted:

The gently caress you say?

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Choyi posted:

The faction breakdowns are all right but he still occasionally gets some stuff wrong based on his opinion more then stats or uses that he either overlooks or overestimates, but overall Heir is still a good watch for TW stuff. I still feel he can come out as a bit of a whiner many times.
As for Turin, up to this point he seemed to be one of the best youtube players(who is still bearable) that I could find, he uses a lot of outside the box thinking builds and his commentary is mostly upbeat and positive which I enjoy.

I've looked at Maximus's stuff before and its been "ok", guess I'll have to check out that prussian prince guy next.

Turin makes good videos, never really denied that. They just aren't where you want to go if you think Heir's faction knowledge is lacking or if you want to see really high level play.

I think you might be disappointed by Prussian Prince in any event, the competitive scene for this game doesn't have quirky, outside the box builds. If you're looking for positive commentary that shows off fun games then Turin is fine. I just thought you were saying it was good if you wanted to improve your gameplay.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mordja posted:

You just made an enemy for life!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
*scribbles furiously in his personal, pocket-sized Book of Grudges*

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Anyone have an idea of what to bring as VC against an army like this? I've been seeing empire lists like this a few times as VC recently and having a hard time winning the cav fight and the infantry fight.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Trujillo posted:

Anyone have an idea of what to bring as VC against an army like this? I've been seeing empire lists like this a few times as VC recently and having a hard time winning the cav fight and the infantry fight.

Grave guard with great weapons, skeleton spears, some grave guard maybe, some crypt horrors. Use raise undead, pop units on top of the handgunners, guard with skeletons. Keep any cav you want to take behind the skeletons.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Yukitsu and I played the final matches in the tournament:

GAME 1: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cjrm44l8rkg35js/Goon%20Fight%20v%20Yuk%201.replay?dl=0
GAME 1 RESULT: Yukitsu victory

GAME 2: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0426v6u9z50eze3/Goon%20Fight%20v%20Yuk%202.replay?dl=0
GAME 2 RESULT: Yukitsu victory

GAME 3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cjrm44l8rkg35js/Goon%20Fight%20v%20Yuk%203.replay?dl=0
GAME 3 RESULT: No game 3 SHAMFRU DISPRAY

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Trujillo posted:

Yeah, like that other dude said you'll need raise dead to cover your GW grave guard (recommend just grabbing 5 grave guard) from their handgunners first of all. You'll also need skellington spears-- cavalry used sparingly. Their whole game is gonna be using their cavalry, and since they wrapped up so much of their cost into gryphons to anticipate you bringing large, then only bring large units (cavalry excluded) that are gonna stride through the melee and be in the thick of it (1-2 crypt horrors). Then they just have really good cavalry to deal with.. skellingtons that get charge defence.

Greatswords are expensive and are pretty much tailor made to handle armored infantry so if you don't wanna dump a bunch of bucks into grave guard, consider bringing cairnwraths or just a bunch of unarmored units like skellingtons and ghouls or something.

You're a vampire, you need to mob the fuckers in so many skellingtons and zombies they can't do poo poo to you, and skellington spearmen are dirt cheap considering you get 120 models per unit to counter their 40-unit reiksguard and 20-unit demigryphs for like 1/4 the cost of those units. Also, bringing Mannfred or a vampire lord will outclass their basic general in every way, your vampire can lay dudes out while stomping their general.

I asked my brother about it too and he said that bringing dogs fucks with gryphon rider AI so much, it basically tarpits them.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Yukitsu posted:

Turin makes good videos, never really denied that. They just aren't where you want to go if you think Heir's faction knowledge is lacking or if you want to see really high level play.

I think you might be disappointed by Prussian Prince in any event, the competitive scene for this game doesn't have quirky, outside the box builds. If you're looking for positive commentary that shows off fun games then Turin is fine. I just thought you were saying it was good if you wanted to improve your gameplay.

Turin is great if you want to improve your dwarf gameplay.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Trujillo posted:

This guy didn't bring any heroes or magic, and spent all his points of overloading elite infantry and cavalry. This is pretty rare, currently. Most likely he has enough cavalry here to crush even a 2 blood knight + direpack build, then cycle charge for the rest of the game. A super infantry overload with tons of grave guard w/ GW, the sternsmen, and some bats to tie down his cavalry and handgunners would be an ideal response. His build is a good response to fliers, so a big air investment would be risky--those demis will tear up landed monsters and prevent them from escaping.

Wight kings and/or banshees could tie up his handgunners or reiksguard pretty much forever.

Overcast nehek is probably your best spell here. Drop it on your heavy infantry core once fighting is well underway to overcome the greatswords.

Overall thats a tough empire build to face as VC, but it would be scarier with a bright or light wizard.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Yeah it's rare, why I ask is I quick matched against this guy who brought the same thing on different days and I stupidly brought almost the same build that lost the first time. Now I have a better list in mind if I fight him again, thanks for all the tips.

Been seeing a lot of corner camping dwarves lately. Haven't had any trouble killing those. This on the other hand:

It was 2 exalted heroes on manticores and the chaos lord on a manticore I think and then chosen and giants all the way in the back corner with their backs and flanks against impassable trees and rocks. I think from now on when I see people corner camping I'm just going to sit in the other corner and go afk to waste their time. They should make it so that people who corner camp only get queued against other corner campers or maybe something like shogun 2 had because it's a problem.

E: The name was Sith - Salsicha for anyone else who doesn't want to waste their time.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 23, 2016

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
The Great Power penalty is more of a "why aren't you giving us some of your great power" penalty. If one side of an alliance is growing like crazy and the other is not the side that isn't growing will get annoyed and want a piece. Enemies will want to gang-up. You solve this by giving gold to your allies and crushing your enemies early before they gang-up.

If you like keeping allies balance your expansion more so you can afford to give them some of your gold or direct your expansion more toward their enemies so at least they see benefit. Historically this is how these things have worked--an alliance doesn't hold up forever when only one side is gaining from it. Usually it collapses far faster than it does in these games.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Mordja posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjHclWPVij0

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Trujillo posted:

It was 2 exalted heroes on manticores and the chaos lord on a manticore I think and then chosen and giants all the way in the back corner with their backs and flanks against impassable trees and rocks. I think from now on when I see people corner camping I'm just going to sit in the other corner and go afk to waste their time. They should make it so that people who corner camp only get queued against other corner campers or maybe something like shogun 2 had because it's a problem.

E: The name was Sith - Salsicha for anyone else who doesn't want to waste their time.

Pick off his flying units with your superior flying units, then wind of death him to, well, death.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Trujillo posted:

or maybe something like shogun 2 had because it's a problem.

Breaking news: Shogun 2 MP high point of series.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

I fought a frustrating air-cavalry Empire army with unbreakable units on land, and despite being able to wipe out their land units, and them getting the warning to "land or lose", they just hopped around picking off my units with Goomba charges and then taking off again. gently caress.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Yeah, air units only have to touch the ground for a second to deal with the stacking no ground units morale penalty.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Captain Beans posted:

Yukitsu and I played the final matches in the tournament:

GAME 1: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cjrm44l8rkg35js/Goon%20Fight%20v%20Yuk%201.replay?dl=0
GAME 1 RESULT: Yukitsu victory

GAME 2: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0426v6u9z50eze3/Goon%20Fight%20v%20Yuk%202.replay?dl=0
GAME 2 RESULT: Yukitsu victory

GAME 3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cjrm44l8rkg35js/Goon%20Fight%20v%20Yuk%203.replay?dl=0
GAME 3 RESULT: No game 3 SHAMFRU DISPRAY

I think BM are a tough matchup for Empire, personally I have no solution to Gorebulls. That the battle ended up on the edge of the battlefield was really bad for Beans in the end as his whole army quit the field, even though it probably was over by that point. In the second match, it seemed that Beans was struggling to find something relevant for his horde of boar boys to do and needed some more coordination between cavalry and infantry. Maybe he was banking on facing Blood Knights? Yukitsu's infantry line was a lot stronger.

So Beans previously knocked Yukitsu into the loser bracket, but he came back to win. I hereby award Yukitsu the champion's cup, rendered by yours truly:

And that's the second goon tourny. We laughed, we cried. We poo poo the bed.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Mukip posted:

So Beans previously knocked Yukitsu into the loser bracket, but he came back to win. I hereby award Yukitsu the champion's cup, rendered by yours truly:

:golfclap:

Congratulations to the winner and all participants. Let not this be the last warhammy tourney.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mukip posted:

Great matches everyone! It was a lot of fun to take part and looking forward to the next round.

But wait, wait, wait, now that Yukitsu has won he has to challenge the standing Chompion [sic] to get his cup and his belt and leave him pantless or die in the attempt. Isn't that how this stuff works?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

Breaking news: Shogun 2 MP high point of series.

I think one thing that doesn't get enough mention is that the Avatar Conquest mode might not have been balanced in the slightest, but it really brought in a lot of people that don't normally play multiplayer in games. Was a nice change of pace.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

ZearothK posted:

Great matches everyone! It was a lot of fun to take part and looking forward to the next round.

But wait, wait, wait, now that Yukitsu has won he has to challenge the standing Chompion [sic] to get his cup and his belt and leave him pantless or die in the attempt. Isn't that how this stuff works?

I'm always up for playing more matches honestly.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
For the next tournament, just to change it up and get some bigger battles maybe faction wars? Teams of 2 players of the same race against 2 of a different race. The problem though is how much better some factions are than others. Might be better to wait for Brettonia/Wood Elves.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
I'm hoping to get in on the next tournament. Do we have any indication of when the next DLC is?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

It has been more or less monthly so far, so early-mid October should be it? According to the Russian leak next DLC is supposed to be the Wood Elves, so I wouldn't be surprised that one would take longer since it'd be the most involved DLC for the first game.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Hello there. I deeply apologise if this has been asked a million times before but I admit I have not been keeping track of this thread since the game came out. Basically my simple question is, is the game worth playing? I look on the Steam page and it is getting mixed reviews yet I am hearing good things about it? Has it been like Rome 2 again where it's been a broken mess on launch and has had to be slowly fixed? It has been the habit of TW games as of late I have noticed. On top of that how well does this game run? I was running a Core i5 4690k and a GTX 970 with 4GB RAM and Attila absolutely choked on my machine. Rome 2 was generally OK but is Warhammer going to be even more demanding?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

SkySteak posted:

Hello there. I deeply apologise if this has been asked a million times before but I admit I have not been keeping track of this thread since the game came out. Basically my simple question is, is the game worth playing? I look on the Steam page and it is getting mixed reviews yet I am hearing good things about it? Has it been like Rome 2 again where it's been a broken mess on launch and has had to be slowly fixed? It has been the habit of TW games as of late I have noticed. On top of that how well does this game run? I was running a Core i5 4690k and a GTX 970 with 4GB RAM and Attila absolutely choked on my machine. Rome 2 was generally OK but is Warhammer going to be even more demanding?

The game is very much worth playing but it's also pretty demanding CPU and graphics wise.

I honestly don't understand why it would get a negative review. All the reviews I see on Steam are positive thumbs-up.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The negative reviews are for the DLC pricing and having Chaos be a pre-order only thing. Like, I love the game, but the DLC is pretty pricey, even though personally it's been worth it for me so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Deus Ex: MD has almost exactly the same Steam rating for pretty much the same reason. Great game, terrible microtransaction bullshit.

• Locked thread