Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
What's the tweet say. I gotta know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

CascadeBeta posted:

"So, uh, in the primaries after the debate, you have Trump up... 8. Cruz is dooown fiiiive. Jeb is- uh, where are my notes?"

*Sound of papers being shuffled*
*Email alert goes off*

I really hate fascism. I mean, it's just.... stupid.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

CascadeBeta posted:

"So, uh, in the primaries after the debate, you have Trump up... 8. Cruz is dooown fiiiive. Jeb is- uh, where are my notes?"

*Sound of papers being shuffled*
*Email alert goes off*

You start out in 1954 by saying, “mark, mark, mark.” By 1968 you can't say “mark” — that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like "fans", "customers" and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about gate receipts, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] marks get hurt worse than smart fans. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the mark problem one way or the other. You follow me — because obviously sitting around saying, “We want to book this,” is much more abstract than even the gate thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than “mark, mark.”

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Hace posted:

What's the tweet say. I gotta know.

https://twitter.com/zacxmahrouche/status/779393416304201728

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

I get what he was trying to say but holy poo poo that is a very dumb thing to say.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Akileese posted:

I get what he was trying to say but holy poo poo that is a very dumb thing to say.

It's not all that bad. And anyone with half a brain could tell what he was trying to say. The people on his feed saying that he's saying the two words are exactly the same are just dumb as gently caress.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I'm still trying to work out what the guy Meltzer's talking to is trying to say.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Gonzo McFee posted:

I'm still trying to work out what the guy Meltzer's talking to is trying to say.

Dave's more worked about one than the other.

Brandon Howard is a pro follow btw.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

DrVenkman posted:

It's not all that bad. And anyone with half a brain could tell what he was trying to say. The people on his feed saying that he's saying the two words are exactly the same are just dumb as gently caress.

are you sure about this considering he's previously said 80s promoters using the N-word weren't necessarily racist and were just using the accepted industry term for black talent

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

DrVenkman posted:

Get a load of this guy

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
This manufactured controversy is ignoring real instances of racism in wrestling, like the resistance to Roman Reigns.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Spermgod posted:

are you sure about this considering he's previously said 80s promoters using the N-word weren't necessarily racist and were just using the accepted industry term for black talent

I don't remember him saying the latter part. I do remember him saying Watts wasn't a racist, which i do have a problem with, but not him saying they were "using the accepted industry term for black talent."

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

ICHIBAHN posted:

I don't remember him saying the latter part. I do remember him saying Watts wasn't a racist, which i do have a problem with, but not him saying they were "using the accepted industry term for black talent."

He's definitely said this more than once

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Is there actually another argument in defending a racist promoter other than "it's an industry standard word"? I mean that argument is wrong but I can't even think of another one

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

don't defend them imo

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Spermgod posted:

the flagship VOW podcast has some of the better analysis out there but you gotta have a finger on fast forward for whenever they go on some non wrestling tangent or Joe goes on an obnoxious rant at nameless Twitter people
Yeah like this week's is pretty good on the NJPW discussion and then it goes scorched earth with the doom and gloom about the Cruiserweights, I mean yeah the presentation with Foley was bad, but I thought they did a decent job with the match. And I don't know how you can say Kendrick was any different on Raw than the CWC when he was being a heel during the matches.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Vince McMahon, the most successful wrestling promoter in the history of the universe, once called John Cena (a flagrant appropriator of black culture) the n-word on PPV so clearly it's a good idea to be a racist promoter.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I don't think its unfair at all to assume that Meltzer is just as out of date on everything but fight sports and possibly bodybuilding as McMahon is. They are very very laser focused people.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

meltzer has a very broad store of knowledge actually

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Spermgod posted:

I definitely remember this and rolling my eyes out of my head

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

I always got the feeling that Meltzer was trying to not burn his contacts and people he had personal relationships with by avoiding labeling them racists. I'm thinking particularly of Flair here.

Because you know Flair was pretty loving racist.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Skinty McEdger posted:

I always got the feeling that Meltzer was trying to not burn his contacts and people he had personal relationships with by avoiding labeling them racists. I'm thinking particularly of Flair here.

Because you know Flair was pretty loving racist.

This is probably the case thinking on it now. He's probably better off just not responding to questions like that if that is his concern, as engaging with the issue on their behalf is unlikely to ever have good results for him.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
The best thing Dave could do is stop responding to 20 trolls online a day, but that would also decrease the fun of his twitter feed by about 98%

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!
HA-HEY!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AJtcnxX0ek

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

:rip: Shelton

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

I thought he was still coming in once his shoulder's healed?

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Stone Cold cut a promo on a spider that bit his dog.

It was cute

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I wish you could just hire people like Austin to cut promos on people you don't like. Sure there's a certain satisfaction in telling assholes off, but Austin's a professional.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I wish you could just hire people like Austin to cut promos on people you don't like. Sure there's a certain satisfaction in telling assholes off, but Austin's a professional.
That just makes me think of:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3FhDFuY_xE

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

I wish you could just hire people like Austin to cut promos on people you don't like.
When Hogan was desperate you could hire him to cut promos on whomever you wanted. Case in point:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t_S8eIOrP4

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Dario the Wop posted:

When Hogan was desperate you could hire him to cut promos on whomever you wanted. Case in point:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t_S8eIOrP4

I was hoping this was just Major Toxic

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Just found this excerpt from the Macho Man obit

quote:

The ICW started in Paducah, KY, with Randy Savage and Leaping Lanny as the two top stars. At about the same time, Bob Roop, Bob Orton Jr., Boris Malenko and Ronnie Garvin had started opposition to the Fullers in the Knoxville area after a tournament for a boat that Garvin won. The boat was purchased by one of the Fullers, and whenever Ron Fuller bought an expensive car or boat, he'd use it to draw a house, have a tournament for it, which he'd invariably win, so it would make sense that people would always see him with the car or boat they saw on TV. Well, after doing that a few times, he was afraid it was getting predictable, so put Garvin over. Garvin then left the territory, with the boat, wouldn't give it back and started opposition. This led to Fuller's legal attempts to get it back, which made the local papers and exposed the business.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Outlaw promotions > the territories

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013

spinst posted:

Stone Cold cut a promo on a spider that bit his dog.

It was cute

Where can I find this?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Just found this excerpt from the Macho Man obit

Who was it that took a $5000 novelty check he won in a ladder match straight to the bank, pulled the DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I AM? on the teller to get the money and skipped town?

I like when Bryan asked Vinny if he had an intro song for his podcast and Vinny was immediately like "if it's 30 seconds of that B~! sound I'm not interested"

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Then there was the story Jim Cornette tells about a small time Southern territory that had a raffle with a pony as the major prize. The promoter's son won & it killed the town.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I started listening to the Death of WCW audiobook, and is it just me or is it really not that....good? Like, it's great stories, but it's just written kinda...eh. They tell the Madusa trash can story twice in a short amount of time, and jump back and forth between time frames.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

dsriggs posted:

Then there was the story Jim Cornette tells about a small time Southern territory that had a raffle with a pony as the major prize. The promoter's son won & it killed the town.

That's great

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

magnum_valentino posted:

Where can I find this?

It's on his latest unleashed show on podcastone. There's also a great bit where he just gleefully derides the concept of a Team Lunch, as well as a nice callback to his earlier mocking of Life Coaches when his guest says something profoundly stupid and Austin offers to be HIS life coach.

"Teddy, let me be your Life Coach. Lesson one: If you ask a bunch of married men where to find hookers they're gonna give you strange looks."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

Capsaicin posted:

I started listening to the Death of WCW audiobook, and is it just me or is it really not that....good? Like, it's great stories, but it's just written kinda...eh. They tell the Madusa trash can story twice in a short amount of time, and jump back and forth between time frames.

I also am using my one month Audible trial on this, and I found speeding it up to 1.25x made it more listenable. At 1x it just sounded *too* much like Tobias Funke reading out loud.

• Locked thread