Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

A lot of miscarriages of justice in real life are based on dodgy confessions - some people assume that there's no reason to lie about being guilty. I can easily believe that the judge would accept the confession and end the trial there, if anything it's strange that Phoenix is allowed to fight on following a confession from his clients in cases like 1-4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Case 5: plus, Ga'ran's the law in Khura'in, so if she really wanted to, she could have rendered the verdict despite all the evidence against her

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

There's a little thing I'm very slightly bothered by in AA6.

Why does everyone in Khura'in just casually speak English (or Japanese) like it ain't no thing? The only Khurai'nese we hear is Nahyuta's sutra, and some random single words. Even before Nick sets foot in the courtroom in Case 1 they're already speaking English amongst themselves!

I guess I can do some mental gymnastics to justify this one: The kingdom is so small and tourist-heavy that their language is actually dying and only used in religious contexts these days. It still seems weird that this isn't even mentioned for a one-off joke in game or anything.

VVV Yes, obviously, but also that's the most boring answer. Have some imagination!

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 23, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

So that they don't have to have an interpreter character translate everything that is said to or by the player character and gently caress the story pacing up.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Oh hi Lamiroir been awhile :haw:

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

what the gently caress case 5.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Case 1 Prosecutor Paine is a monster. Just... wow. He's mad he lost cases to you, and so he manipulates the court into trying to execute you.

Suck a dick.

Case 2 Trucy Owns, Apollo Owns, Athena Owns, Bunny Bat Twins Own. AND it's top contender for best breakdown in the series.

Might be my favorite case so far on the game.

Case 3 Losing the case was a bit of a shocker, but dunking on the princess never gets old, so hooray for a second round.

I've really been digging the Insights, too. Really like the mechanic a lot. Not sure how easy it would be to bring it to future games, but I'd be down for it.

Case 4 Blackquill owns. Blackquill owns. Blackquill OWNS! He is officially the best defense assistant in the series.

And drat, Athena. Don't let the Prosecutor off so easy once you win. Rub it in his stupid face. I really want SOMEONE to get up in Mr. Sad Monk's face and yell, "YOU WOULD HAVE SENT AN INNOCENT PERSON TO JAIL IF IT WASN'T FOR ME! THINK ABOUT THAT NEXT TIME YOU THREATEN A DEFENSE ATTORNEY WITH HELL."

Also, god bless that Translation team.

And now... Case 5 awaits. Looks like it's gonna be a rollercoaster already

APOLLO HAS TWO DADS!!!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

So I'm...some amount of the way into the second trial day of case 5, probably nearing the end, and I just have to say I get how necessary it is to have the one-on-one with Nahyuta that shows him the error of his ways and that he doesn't need to shackle himself to Ga'ran anymore and whatnot, but it's also really goofy that we spend all that time proving how the murderer did the deed and the necessity of channeling and all, but then Nahyuta can just jump behind the witness stand, say he did the crime and the judge is all but willing to just go with it without any need to go into details about how he could have done it in the face of all the evidence.

yeah

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Capfalcon posted:

And now... Case 5 awaits. Looks like it's gonna be a rollercoaster already

APOLLO HAS TWO DADS!!!

Three if you count Phoenix

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ometeotl posted:

So I'm...some amount of the way into the second trial day of case 5, probably nearing the end, and I just have to say I get how necessary it is to have the one-on-one with Nahyuta that shows him the error of his ways and that he doesn't need to shackle himself to Ga'ran anymore and whatnot, but it's also really goofy that we spend all that time proving how the murderer did the deed and the necessity of channeling and all, but then Nahyuta can just jump behind the witness stand, say he did the crime and the judge is all but willing to just go with it without any need to go into details about how he could have done it in the face of all the evidence.

The crime itself could have been committed by anyone who could have gotten in the tomb (by having Amara as an accomplice to help with the coverup channeling). It's a bit of a stretch to say Nahyuta did it, and he obviously didn't, but it's not entirely ludicrous. It even makes sense motive-wise, as naturally Amara would cover for her son.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Ometeotl posted:

(Spoilers for same point, case 5 trial day 2) At that point there isn't any physical evidence against Nahyuta being the culprit, though. The cover-up requires channelling, but the murder itself could have been committed by anyone - it's not at all implausible that Nahyuta committed the murder and Amara used channelling to cover for him. Obviously Apollo and the player don't believe him, but that's because of character which we all know counts for nothing in court.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ometeotl posted:

The murder didn't require channeling. This is actually pretty important to the game.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Yeah, I was baffled by Nahyuta's confession for a bit, but then I realized, it was only proved that channeling was needed for the cover-up. It was still annoying, but it fit with the whole notion that Ga'aran had gotten fed up with playing fair and was trying to force an end. It's the next step in the escalation ultimately leading to her ordering her men to aim at Apollo and Phoenix. It also helps you realize just how defeated Nahyuta is, and how despite his impassive exterior, he cares deeply about Rayfa. I think a lot of people disliked Nahyuta because he was very collected the entire game, but 5 pt. 2 reveals that it's a facade and on the inside he's totally given in to despair. His big gimmick is trying to get his opponent to give up, and that could be read as projecting. He resents and fails to understand people that keep fighting even when the odds are deeply against them - like his father.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Capfalcon posted:

Case 1 Prosecutor Paine is a monster. Just... wow. He's mad he lost cases to you, and so he manipulates the court into trying to execute you.

Suck a dick.

Winston was always somewhat dislikeable and a weenie, but I never got the sense he was a truly evil person. Gaspen is a sack of crap. His bro should be ashamed of him.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Spatula City posted:

I think a lot of people disliked Nahyuta because he was very collected the entire game, but 5 pt. 2 reveals that it's a facade and on the inside he's totally given in to despair. His big gimmick is trying to get his opponent to give up, and that could be read as projecting. He resents and fails to understand people that keep fighting even when the odds are deeply against them - like his father.

This is true and all, but it doesn't change the fact that you don't really see any of this until the final case. Up until then, Nahyuta's just incredibly bland. He's a massive prick the entire time, and isn't even entertaining in doing so. He basically only has the one insult, which isn't funny or varied enough for it to be a good gimmick, and you see basically no real hints of much depth in his character until the end, other than some people going "I'm sure he doesn't really feel that way" when he's being mean and so on.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The one thing that really bites about this game is the overuse of the flashbacks. So many that interrupted the pacing of a trial

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I always thought it was pretty obvious from early on that Nahyuta gives his little speech about "letting go and moving on" precisely because that's what he's been trying to tell himself his whole life, but that didn't actually make him any more sympathetic to me. The problem as I see it is that he seems to honestly hate lawyers with all his heart, even after being consistently proven to be condemning innocent people to death, and even after being forced into this role through threats to his sister. He's not an actor or anything: there's no reason for him to be cruel while reluctantly doing what he knows he must. He just chooses to be cruel because, apparently, he's fundamentally a cruel person. Even if he's projecting his anger outward, he's still an rear end in a top hat. It turns out that he's an rear end in a top hat who's being threatened, but he's always been an rear end in a top hat on his own time.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

There's an issue where Edgeworth is genuinely the most perfect, dreamy prosecutor ever, and nobody that follows can really touch him.

"I won't rest until I've inspected every suspicious-looking nook and cranny" :allears:

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Clarste posted:

I always thought it was pretty obvious from early on that Nahyuta gives his little speech about "letting go and moving on" precisely because that's what he's been trying to tell himself his whole life, but that didn't actually make him any more sympathetic to me.

Agreed, and aside from everything else you said, another problem was how frequently he said that phrase. Just like with all his 'putrid' stuff, it became really irritating after a while.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nahyuta is lame just because he's so static. Everything you learn about him and his personality in case 2 is all you're going to see until the final case. In most AA games the middle cases are partially used to help develop the prosecutor further and develop them more. 1-3 sees Edgeworth completely lose his cool when Oldbag takes the stand and he even helps out Phoenix once or twice. You learn a lot about Blackquill's relationship with Athena in 5-3 and see him just walk out of the trial due to annoyance and he helps out the defence against Means, and in 5-4 you see how intense he gets when the case is about the Space Center. Even Klav for all his faults gets developed more in each case, 4-3 shows that despite his rock star persona in court he's a meticulous control freak on stage, and 4-4 (very briefly) goes into how he's reluctant to suspect his brother.

Nahyuta gets none of that. Though Franziska was honestly in a sort of similar position in Justice for All, though she at least shows more personality from the get go in that defeat actually affects her a lot more. He's just kinda boring.

Edit: Though one thing I will give Nahyuta is that the dude is hateable in a different way than most other prosecutors in the series. All his talk of "let it go and move on" is just so drat condescending and it makes him come off as a more unique sort of smug jerk than a lot of other prosecutors.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 24, 2016

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

voltcatfish posted:

There's an issue where Edgeworth is genuinely the most perfect, dreamy prosecutor ever, and nobody that follows can really touch him.

"I won't rest until I've inspected every suspicious-looking nook and cranny" :allears:

I have an issue with Klavier, Blackquill, and Athena becoming lawyers at an extremely young age. Edgeworth became a prosecutor at age 20 but at the cost of any personal skills. Then we find Klavier became a prosecutor at 17 while ALSO leading a million dollar world class band? gently caress off. It just makes Edgeworth look retarded.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Do you think Blackquill likes the Steel Samurai or does he only like Tonosaman, the Japanese show it was based off of?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Do you think Blackquill likes the Steel Samurai or does he only like Tonosaman, the Japanese show it was based off of?

He finds it a cheap knockoff that weakens all of the charm and drama of the original, just so that it can accomodate the culture-less minds of the American public.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

He finds it a cheap knockoff that weakens all of the charm and drama of the original, just so that it can accomodate the culture-less minds of the American public.

"Why do they have Tonosaman endlessly quip during battles?! It's annoying and only serves to highlight Global Studios' underestimation of their audience!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blackquill is extremely upset about the modern remake of Steel Samurai and feels that the new design doesn't capture the sleek and stylish presentation of the original suit.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Blackquill has a Crunchyroll AND a Funimation subscription.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

cloofish posted:

I have an issue with Klavier, Blackquill, and Athena becoming lawyers at an extremely young age. Edgeworth became a prosecutor at age 20 but at the cost of any personal skills. Then we find Klavier became a prosecutor at 17 while ALSO leading a million dollar world class band? gently caress off. It just makes Edgeworth look retarded.
Franziska was like 17 in JFA and had already been prosecuting for 3 years

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Blackquill's "Nothing can go wrong!" slays me.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I love Nahyuta solely because of his amazing headshake animation. It's so smug and condescending. Even if his role as a prosecutor is a little lacking (he just sort of... disappears from cases for a while and doesn't offer rebuttals), his animations are so perfect I can't help but love him. Plus his theme is awesome.

The animations in this game overall were incredible. So smooth and just gorgeous to watch.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I believe at least in 2001 when AA1 came out in Japan, you did not need a JD to take and pass bar in Japan, which I guess kinda explains all the prodigies. Also, Anime Baby Syndrome. When you think about it, Phoenix and Apollo passing bar at 23 and 22 is impressive.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
One of the best bits in the game was Miles Edgeworth outright stating that Phoenix runs around showing his attorney badge to everyone he meets :allears:.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

man, it can't be stated how Phoenix adding the light blue vest completely boosted his design. same with Edgeworth adding the black one

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.
Little late to this question, but:

Amppelix posted:

Why does everyone in Khura'in just casually speak English (or Japanese) like it ain't no thing? The only Khurai'nese we hear is Nahyuta's sutra, and some random single words. Even before Nick sets foot in the courtroom in Case 1 they're already speaking English amongst themselves!

VVV Yes, obviously, but also that's the most boring answer. Have some imagination!

Clearly the Weird Squiggle Language is for Sad Monk's Catholic Buddhist Kurai'an Mass. I mean, we don't speak Latin all the time, now, do we?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Carlosologist posted:

The one thing that really bites about this game is the overuse of the flashbacks. So many that interrupted the pacing of a trial

Yeah, Dual Destinies was bad for that too. It was effective in reminding me of something or driving home the drama maybe 3 times total, the rest of the time it was just the game assuming I have alzheimer's.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Neddy Seagoon posted:

One of the best bits in the game was Miles Edgeworth outright stating that Phoenix runs around showing his attorney badge to everyone he meets :allears:.

That whole thing has always felt like the game designers noticed play testers showing it off at every opportunity, and wrote it in as part of Phoenix's character. When Gumshoe mentioned it in 1-4 I thought it was cute that the game noticed something like that.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
MY HAIIIIIR!!! IT'S FLYING OFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!!

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Momomo posted:

That whole thing has always felt like the game designers noticed play testers showing it off at every opportunity, and wrote it in as part of Phoenix's character. When Gumshoe mentioned it in 1-4 I thought it was cute that the game noticed something like that.

Nearly every single character these days has a response for it, too.

Jazama
Oct 5, 2013
I have finished the first four cases and I can say that I am really enjoying the game so far! By the way, I was thinking about all the lawyers throughout the series, and I realised something: case 1-4 is the only climactic case that has a brand new prosecutor. All other final cases either use the main rival prosecutor or a previous prosecutor. Because of this, I believe that the final prosecutor of this game is either Edgeworth (who I know is in the game but I have not seen yet) or Sad Monk (who has story connections hinted at but not explored yet).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

Jazama posted:

I have finished the first four cases and I can say that I am really enjoying the game so far! By the way, I was thinking about all the lawyers throughout the series, and I realised something: case 1-4 is the only climactic case that has a brand new prosecutor. All other final cases either use the main rival prosecutor or a previous prosecutor. Because of this, I believe that the final prosecutor of this game is either Edgeworth (who I know is in the game but I have not seen yet) or Sad Monk (who has story connections hinted at but not explored yet).

Oh just you wait. :getin:

Also, get ready for the longest case in the entire series. I beat it at around 14 hours.

psychoJ fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 24, 2016