Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Dren posted:

Quote this post if you started LeGarrette Blount this week over other, similar RB2 options

I traded Gio for him but the trade doesn't complete until Tuesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

RCarr posted:

You get any and all points from any player no matter what position you start them in.

Except in the Goon All IDP league where you don't get any extra points for defensive touchdowns :(

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

timp posted:

Except in the Goon All IDP league where you don't get any extra points for defensive touchdowns :(

I won a playoff game a couple years ago because my WR2 ended up getting like 4 special teams tackles. IDP is cool and good

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Azhais posted:

I won a playoff game a couple years ago because my WR2 ended up getting like 4 special teams tackles. IDP is cool and good

Another piece of evidence to bring up about why we need IDP in my dynasty league.

LiquidFusion
Feb 11, 2004
Ezra < Me < Jake

Thwomp posted:

I say decline it.

Gore is the #1 back in Indianapolis. He still has a good quarterback. While the defense is awful, that means they'll be playing from behind or at least on the field frequently. He also did well last year despite his QB being hurt, even down the stretch.

Ware is a backup who will likely end up in a mild committee once Charles gets back, best case. Worst case, he gets a few touches a game.

Guess it really depends on Charles' status post-return and how you feel about Gore's age.

Yea I can't say I disagree with you about the RBC situation. I think I'm going to accept, just because I think I can accept the risk. Gore has been very reliable even last year, but I'm not likely to start him anyways. *shrug* Maybe I regret this later!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Azhais posted:

drat, I would play the hell out of Theilen in a PPR IDP league

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
What is Rawls really worth right now, trade wise?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

Another piece of evidence to bring up about why we need IDP in my dynasty league.

Every so often a normal offense only guy will get points for a tackle (after a turnover) or fumble recovery. It's a sweet little bonus.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

Every so often a normal offense only guy will get points for a tackle (after a turnover) or fumble recovery. It's a sweet little bonus.

I'd love stuff like this. My league is pretty against IDP though citing "it makes the game too random"

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Suave Fedora posted:

Deangelo will be fine. He only DNP'ed on Wednesday. He FP'ed Thur and Friday. Start with confidence.

West is probably going to lose his snaps to Charles this weekend or the next.

E- Rereading it back I think you meant that Charles wasn't practicing. Fozzy would see more work than West.

my league on NFL.com still shows DeAngelo as DNP, so thanks NFL, you're still the worst fantasy football site.

Thanks guys.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Just saw that CWoke is on my waiver wire, and Rawls is doubtful this week. Worth dropping Ware for him? I don't think I'd start Ware against the Jets even if Charles is out...

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

Mikey Purp posted:

Just saw that CWoke is on my waiver wire, and Rawls is doubtful this week. Worth dropping Ware for him? I don't think I'd start Ware against the Jets even if Charles is out...

No.

Do you have anyone else to drop?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

I'd love stuff like this. My league is pretty against IDP though citing "it makes the game too random"

I mean, they're kind of right. A DL will get you like two assisted tackles (thanks JJ) or a couple sacks (glad I sat you Sheard). With decent IDP scoring, that's like a 10+ point difference. It's still awesome, but the swings at DL and DB (sweet sweet interceptions) can be game changing any given week.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Rawls is now doubtful for this Sunday against the 49ers.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

VietCampo posted:

No.

Do you have anyone else to drop?

Eh, 2QB league with short benches, so not really.

QB: Matt Ryan, Andy Dalton, Derek Carr
RB: Todd Gurley, Spencer Ware, Frank Gore, Tevin Coleman
WR: Julio Jones, Julian Edelman, Devante Parker, Tyrell Williams

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 23, 2016

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

I mean, they're kind of right. A DL will get you like two assisted tackles (thanks JJ) or a couple sacks (glad I sat you Sheard). With decent IDP scoring, that's like a 10+ point difference. It's still awesome, but the swings at DL and DB (sweet sweet interceptions) can be game changing any given week.

Yeah I see this as a positive though. Also I really appreciate IDP for helping me learn more defensive players and how a team uses their defense.

Anything that gets me more football knowledge is great, winning money for stats is icing on the cake.

If I went with IDP in my dynasty league each team would start a DL, LB, DB each week and I'd remove kickers and dsts. Which I think helps balance out the randomness. I'd also use a slightly modified scoring system that I use in an all IDP league.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Much like adding any other position, though. Once all of the top 20 guys at RB and WR are owned, and the top dozen QBs, adding any other starting roster position adds to the uncertainty, since those guys are almost all subject to more volatility of points per week.

So if you want a less swingy league, just start one each of QB, RB, and WR, in your 12-team league, and you're done.

And hey guess what, D/STs are also very swingy! Most leagues contemplating IDP are currently using a D/ST slot instead. Also a kicker, which is even worse.

Fantasy Football is about picking winners and matchups, though, and you can absolutely do that with IDP. There are some pretty consistent guys, some guys with high floors, high or low ceilings, etc. If you give people maybe four or five IDP slots, plus a reasonable amount of additional bench space so they're not forced to dump their best IDP guys for every bye week, they're really not much different from your third RB, WR, your first or second TE, etc. in terms of volatility. And you get rid of the D/ST garbage, and some of your offense guys get the occasional tackle, etc.

For me the best thing about IDP though is that, as with the other positions in fantasy football, having them in my league caused me to pay attention to and thus learn a lot more about the defensive side of football. Instead of just a blur of random big guys across from the stars, they suddenly were legit stars themselves, and I paid attention to and learned about different defensive packages, the roles played by defensive ends vs. tackles, corners vs. safeties, and linebackers with single jobs vs. really multipurpose guys.

I discovered that some defensive backs are too good - certain corners aren't worth much in fantasy IDP because when they play, their covered man just doesn't get targets unless he's super wide open. I've learned that you never take a nose tackle, because they're too busy to reliably get tackles and almost never get sacks or passes defensed. I learned that your IDP scoring really matters a lot - an emphasis on tackles heavily favors LBs, vs an emphasis on stuffs and passes defensed favoring linemen and backs, respectively.

And some IDP guys play on special teams, too!

IDP is cool, always do IDP.

e. My dynasty league starts a DB, a LB, a lineman, and an IDP FLEX (any of those three), for a total of four starters. The scoring is such that the top IDP guys each week score as much as top WRs and RBs, while every team has to start enough that they often have a guy who scores poorly, and there's enough total ownership that the waiver wire is worth trolling for emerging stars.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 23, 2016

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

Yeah I see this as a positive though. Also I really appreciate IDP for helping me learn more defensive players and how a team uses their defense.

Anything that gets me more football knowledge is great, winning money for stats is icing on the cake.

Leperflesh posted:

For me the best thing about IDP though is that, as with the other positions in fantasy football, having them in my league caused me to pay attention to and thus learn a lot more about the defensive side of football. Instead of just a blur of random big guys across from the stars, they suddenly were legit stars themselves, and I paid attention to and learned about different defensive packages, the roles played by defensive ends vs. tackles, corners vs. safeties, and linebackers with single jobs vs. really multipurpose guys.

IDP is cool, always do IDP.

I agree with these posts completely.

Leperflesh posted:

e. My dynasty league starts a DB, a LB, a lineman, and an IDP FLEX (any of those three), for a total of four starters. The scoring is such that the top IDP guys each week score as much as top WRs and RBs, while every team has to start enough that they often have a guy who scores poorly, and there's enough total ownership that the waiver wire is worth trolling for emerging stars.

Most of mine are on the order of start 2 each of DL, LB, and DB, then 0-3 defensive flex spots. I really like the leagues with starting requirements and scoring for defense being close to offense.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
We need more IDP talk so I can find my new Mark Barron playing at safety and LB or my new Chris Borland so I can win another championship!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

89 posted:

We need more IDP talk so I can find my new Mark Barron playing at safety and LB or my new Chris Borland so I can win another championship!

Su'a Cravens is listed as DB on fleaflicker and afaik is a kinda hybrid, but is a rookie so better for dynasty. Gerald Hodges probably solidified his spot next to Navarro Bowman to be your Borland replacement. Done!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

IDP sounds cool and good. I need to ditch the one league I completely DGAF about and find an IDP one to care marginally more about.

Although, counterpoint: I am already terrible at fantasy when I only have to worry about one side of the ball.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Looks like Kenneth Dixon was spotted doing drills to the side during practice. Glad he's running again. The backfield is likely to be a mess but it'd be nice to see Dixon for dynasty purposes.

Also my boy Tyler Ervin had some egregious mistakes yesterday during return duties, and Alfred Blue got to wind the game down. Still think Ervin is the handcuff to own for the "never don't run" offense this year (seriously it's borderline obscene) but I'm starting to fade him a bit.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

I agree with these posts completely.

Most of mine are on the order of start 2 each of DL, LB, and DB, then 0-3 defensive flex spots. I really like the leagues with starting requirements and scoring for defense being close to offense.

How many bench slots (additional or total) do you have?

We've got rosters of 23 guys including starters and bench (we don't do kickers or non-IDP), plus two IR slots (IR/Out only, no SUSP), plus three taxi squad slots (rookies who haven't been started by any owner, only).

I would have done deeper IDP but the rest of the founding owners reigned me in a bit.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

How many bench slots (additional or total) do you have?

We've got rosters of 23 guys including starters and bench (we don't do kickers or non-IDP), plus two IR slots (IR/Out only, no SUSP), plus three taxi squad slots (rookies who haven't been started by any owner, only).

I would have done deeper IDP but the rest of the founding owners reigned me in a bit.

I'm in too many leagues, but most are fairly similar. Total starters are something like 1 (or 2) QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1-3 offensive flex, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 0-3 defensive flex, usually no taxi squad but 3-6 IR with varying levels of restriction (some strict IR, some IR or PUP, some anything from "out" to more serious). Then usually 35-40 total roster spots, for a bench of 20-25. On the bench, I tend to keep 1-2 DB, 2-3 DL, and 3-5 LB. The wires are pretty barren at WR and RB, but plenty of IDP starters pop up out of nowhere.

I am in one crazy 12 team dynasty with starters of 2 QB, 3 RB, 4 WR, 2 TE, 3 DB, 3 DL, 4 LB (21 starters!) with 19 man benches. It makes the waiver wire much more interesting, as you can't really hoard at any one position without being super light on depth at another. I felt so good about my Fleener/Ertz duo in that league before the season started.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

When researching scoring for our dynasty league I found that there wasn't really a broadly accepted standard. I found some sites with recommendations, and I also looked closely at the scoring for the all-IDP league here on SA that I was in. This is what we came up with:

Defensive scoring:
Solo Tackles - 1.5 points
Assisted Tackles – .75 points
Sacks – 4 points
Tackles for a Loss – 2 or 3 points (2 if includes sacks, 3 if not)
Interceptions – 6 points
Passes Defensed – 3 points
Forced Fumbles – 4 points
Fumble Recoveries – 3 points
Safeties – 6 points
Blocked Kicks – 6 points
Touchdowns – 6 points

This year there was some discussion of whether we should reduce the points for solo tackles, perhaps to 1.25 or so, but the voting was inconclusive so we left it as-is. I feel like this is working pretty well. We're also doing return yards of course, 0.04 points/yard.

I found some discrepancies between how ESPN defines a "stuff" vs. how MFL defines a "TFL". We moved from ESPN to MFL this year, and it became clear during scoring validation that the two sites had slightly different statistics for the two stats, for a given player in a specific game. Not enough to bother worrying too much about, but I thought it was interesting that apparently there isn't a solid NFL definition that everyone uses.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Hi all, looking for some good advice
0.5 ppr, 2 rb 2 wr 1 flex...14 teams
I have mark ingram, melvin gordon, spencer ware, jerick nickcannon, tim hightower and that henry guy on tennesse
Wr i coukd use help: edelman, floyd, enunwa and sanu

Would trading ingram + hightower or gordon for kelvin benjamin be a smart move? If so, which would be smarter?
Thanks, I greatly value the opinions of this thread

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I always just recommend this for IDP scoring

https://www.profootballfocus.com/the-pff-idp-scoring-system-revisited/

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
IDP wise, I know I'm the Eagles guy, but Brandon Graham has been unstoppable. He's PFF's #1 rated 4-3 DE (yeah, yeah, I know), but he has a line of 2 sacks, 3 tackle for losses, 6 tackles, 1 force fumble in just two weeks.

I say that as he's on my waiver wire, but I've already used my max adds this week to grab him (4 per week). If I can grab him next week, I think I'm gonna be forced to start him over JJ Watt until he cleans his poo poo up.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Mikey Purp posted:

I don't think I'd start Ware against the Jets even if Charles is out...

Please elaborate. Ware, by most rankings, is a top 15 rb if Charles, who has been downgraded to doubtful, is out

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

89 posted:

IDP wise, I know I'm the Eagles guy, but Brandon Graham has been unstoppable. He's PFF's #1 rated 4-3 DE (yeah, yeah, I know), but he has a line of 2 sacks, 3 tackle for losses, 6 tackles, 1 force fumble in just two weeks.

I say that as he's on my waiver wire, but I've already used my max adds this week to grab him (4 per week). If I can grab him next week, I think I'm gonna be forced to start him over JJ Watt until he cleans his poo poo up.

Yeah, I grabbed him in a few leagues, where I've been relying on Watt, Calais Campbell, Sheard, etc. Shout out to Devin Taylor for being awesome, though. I was all over he and Sheard this off season, so glad that one has at least paid off well so far.

BigSexyWitGlasses
Nov 1, 2009

What do you goons think I could get for Kelvin Benjamin in a full PPR league. I need some RB help.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!

BigSexyWitGlasses posted:

What do you goons think I could get for Kelvin Benjamin in a full PPR league. I need some RB help.
With Kelvin's numbers so far, you can market him as a Top 5 WR and try to shoot for any number of RBs. Maybe see if the Le'Veon Bell owner is hurting for a win.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Drunk Nerds posted:

Please elaborate. Ware, by most rankings, is a top 15 rb if Charles, who has been downgraded to doubtful, is out

Ok, that's fair. I am probably overthinking the Jets matchup and overvaluing Gore's matchup this week. So anyway, Ware goes back in my lineup and I'm guessing that none of Ware, Gore or Coleman are droppable for CMike then?

Also I know this is a sit/start question, but while we're on the subject, if you were starting Ware and Gurley, would you rather have Gore or Lord Tyrell in your flex?

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
IDP is nice, we start an LB, a DL, and a DB. I'm rolling with Alec Ogletree, J.J. Watt, and Reshad Jones.

This week I'm also streaming Miami's defence. Hope Reshad gets a pick 6!

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

My league's defense gives a point for defensive 3 and outs, which has lead me to being surprisingly involved for role players getting that extra yard on 2nd down

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Cigar Aficionado posted:

IDP is nice, we start an LB, a DL, and a DB. I'm rolling with Alec Ogletree, J.J. Watt, and Reshad Jones.

This week I'm also streaming Miami's defence. Hope Reshad gets a pick 6!

reshad jones bro

I had him last year too, he was fantastic. 107 tackles, 9 tackles for loss, 29 assists, 1 fumble recovery, 5 interceptions, 2 sacks, 10 passes defensed, and two TDs. Very very good for a defensive back!

Part of what makes Jones so attractive is that Miami sucks, so their defense is on the field a lot. Jones also got a couple of kickoff returns last year, for a total of 43 yards. And he's 28, so well seasoned but not getting old yet.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
Also a Reshad Jones owner in my only league with IDP.

The top tier LB's all got scooped up on a run right after i had picked. So i grabbed Reshad and am quite happy so far, having a good consistent S player means so much when most of them are so inconsistent fantasy scorers.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

And I've got him with a $4 salary (so I drafted or faabed him for $3 last year) with a $250 salary cap in our league, so he's an incredible bargain.

Speaking of IDP, anyone know anything about Stephone Anthony? He was a great player for me last year, but week one he got 1 tackle and 1 TFL, and week 2 he got nothing (I'm not even sure if he played).

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

my league on NFL.com

Oh God burn it. Burn it all to hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's the SA weekly post league. On a whim I jumped in to take over a team. I'd never played on NFL.com before. :shrug:

I mean the site is garbage, but you can still manage your team and play the game.

• Locked thread