Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IdleHands
May 30, 2011

I done goofed. Well, maybe, I guess?

My PC has this motherboard:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/z97%20pro4/

It had this RAM:
http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-17000cl9d-8gbxm

And I upgraded to this:
http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-2400c11d-16gxm

Some two weeks in and I'm suddenly getting bsods all over the place, Windows 10 plain curled up and died and I had to reinstall the whole thing. I've replaced the new RAM with the old one, and suddenly all is fine. Memtest showed something like 150k errors on the 2x8GB, and the 2x4 has a glorious 0.

The part where I hosed up is where it turns out the motherboard doesn't support these specific 2x8.

So, my question is this: what am I looking at here?

Did I fry the new RAM? Or normally it would work perfectly well, official compatibility be damned, but it was broken from the start?
Or maybe the RAM is still good enough to sell/return, and it's just the way it (barely) worked with that motherboard, culminating in the bsod gently caress-fest?

e: apparently, the Z97 supports this: http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-2400c11q-32gxm, which is basically just 4 pcs of what I have instead of 2. Is that a thing that happens, that the motherboard can be perfectly fine with four of those, but somehow cannot handle just two? Or is that compatibility page just full of poo poo?

IdleHands fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I've got a quick question. I'm pretty computer illiterate, but, here goes:

I got a new video card recently. My setup can run Dark Souls 3 at a constant 60 fps. However, Cities: Skyline is slower, sometimes dipping to 25 fps if I zoom in on something. How do I figure out if it's the game, or if my processor needs upgrading too? Or could it be something else?

Thanks!

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

IdleHands posted:

The part where I hosed up is where it turns out the motherboard doesn't support these specific 2x8.

Unlikely. QVLs list a tiny selection of RAM they bothered to test. Hell, G.Skill lists your motherboard in their own QVL. You just got bad RAM and should RMA it.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Jay Rust posted:

I've got a quick question. I'm pretty computer illiterate, but, here goes:

I got a new video card recently. My setup can run Dark Souls 3 at a constant 60 fps. However, Cities: Skyline is slower, sometimes dipping to 25 fps if I zoom in on something. How do I figure out if it's the game, or if my processor needs upgrading too? Or could it be something else?

Thanks!

Cities: Skyline is a pretty CPU intensive game, so you probably do.

What is your current processor?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

HMS Boromir posted:

Don't buy a 750. The 750 Ti is the bare minimum card to buy even on a very tight budget. A 950 would be better.

The graphics card will fit in the x16 slot. Most cards have a cooler that will block the next slot down if they're spaced very close together. The main thing to measure is the space between the back of the case and the drive cage (or the front of the case, if there's no drive cage where the GPU goes) and compare that to the length of the card you're buying to make sure it'll fit. A 950 like this is affordable and very compact.

Most PSUs worth buying will have more than double the wattage a system like yours would draw. Just pick up one of these.

Thank you so very much! Should the OP be revised accordingly?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Neo_Crimson posted:

Cities: Skyline is a pretty CPU intensive game, so you probably do.

What is your current processor?

Intel i7-4790 processor, (4x 3.60 GHz/8MB L3 Cache)

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Thank you so very much! Should the OP be revised accordingly?
Recommending the 750 is questionable, yeah. 750 Ti or 950 probably makes more sense for that particular section. "Goonbox One" is closer to a standard budget recommendation, though it's also focused on being console-sized which not everyone is going to care about.

Peak debt did a solid job with the OP but it still has a lot of minor issues as a result of being an updated version of a years-old and miles-long post. It's always best to just post your build/question and get up to date responses.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 23, 2016

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Jay Rust posted:

Intel i7-4790 processor, (4x 3.60 GHz/8MB L3 Cache)

That's a pretty drat fast CPU. You won't get much out of an upgrade, something is up with the game or some other aspect of your system.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Interesting. Thanks for the help, guys!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Crossposting this from the CPU thread, since it might help more people here:

These sold out INCREDIBLY fast last time: http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=113&cp_id=11307&cs_id=1130706&p_id=16376&seq=1&format=2

Brand new 6700k for $288.99, $2.49 base shipping. Microcenter currently wants ~$300 (before tax and a $30 discount if purchased with a motherboard) for the same CPU, so this is a chance for people not near an MC to pick up this CPU at a 'discount' with no tax...so long as you don't live in CA.

There is a $20 off $100 promo code that's valid until tomorrow, but because the CPU is listed as a 'Sale' item, it's not valid. Also, if the 7xxx series are already showing up in laptops, I'd say we're about a month or so before the desktop Kaby Lakes start showing up, and Monoprice occasionally functions as a clearing house for excess inventory.

Addendum - Monoprice also has the i5-6600k for $212.49 (~$3 more expensive than Micro Center, so not as big a deal): http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=113&cp_id=11307&cs_id=1130706&p_id=16383&seq=1&format=2

They also had the 6500 for $174.24 (~$5 cheaper than MC), but that's sold out now.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 23, 2016

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

There is a $20 off $100 promo code that's valid until tomorrow, but because the CPU is listed as a 'Sale' item, it's not valid. Also, if the 7xxx series are already showing up in laptops, I'd say we're about a month or so before the desktop Kaby Lakes start showing up, and Monoprice occasionally functions as a clearing house for excess inventory.

The Kaby Lake path to retail is long and slow, I thought that official word is Laptop dual cores now, desktop quad cores more like January or February at the earliest.

I'm talking out my rear end here though, I'd like the new media stuff on Kaby Lake as well as a move to mITX and I'm coasting on a 2500K along with half the thread. It'd be nice if they and Z270 were here sooner rather than later.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 23, 2016

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016
There's cool new stuff on Kaby Lake? I thought it was just native thunderbolt and a small speed boost.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

betamax hipster posted:

There's cool new stuff on Kaby Lake? I thought it was just native thunderbolt and a small speed boost.

Fully hardware 10-bit HEVC encode and decode, hardware 8 bit VP9 encode and decode, and hardware level DRM that content owners demand before they'll allow 4K playback on the system. Sony already has confirmed they're going to allow only Kaby Lake computers access to their new 4K streaming platform, and it'll probably be a minimum requirement for 4K Netflix on PC too.

As far as what normal consumers will get out of it, hardware vp9 will mean that Youtube CPU usage drops to near zero and it looks like even bad, low quality hardware HEVC encode will outperform x264.

Truth
Feb 24, 2005
What country are you in? USA

What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Gaming, light work in microsoft office. Internet surfing, watching some videos.

What's your budget? 950 or under.

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? I am currently on a 3+ year old monitor in 1080P, i am open to upgrading to 1440p eventually, but going to upgrade my monitor in a few months. I want very high performance in 1080p, and high performance at 1440p.

There's a good sale on a 1070 tonight for $360, hoping to have a build with that, an SSD, and a 1TB HDD in my price range. I don't need a keyboard, mouse, or monitor, and I can get a copy of windows 10 from my school.

Edit: The GPU was such a good deal, and it will probably not be that price tomorrow that I bought it, still waiting to see what i should work with for the rest of the build.

Truth fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 24, 2016

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Will this do?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($204.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI B150M MORTAR Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($69.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($56.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($94.00 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ B&H)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($42.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $588.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-24 03:04 EDT-0400

Only caveat to this build is you won't be able to get an M.2 NVMe SSD as an upgrade since the motherboard doesn't support them. If you're expecting to want one of those before you want a new system and don't mind bending the budget a little for it, pick up this motherboard instead.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Sep 24, 2016

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I am thinking of up grading some things.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/NRspKZ

I need to dig out my current specs but before then does it look like this set up will run MGS: V at high specs?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Probably, MGS5 is very well optimized. More to the point, though, you didn't pick out a motherboard - if you're intending to slot the new CPU and RAM into your current motherboard then that's not likely to work out for you. If you just wanted a motherboard suggestion then let us know if you're particularly attached to the high speed RAM, since it would require an overclocking motherboard, which is a little unusual to get with a locked CPU.

On the subject of the locked CPU, buying a $60 cooler for it when you're limited enough by your budget to be considering a GTX 950 seems like a misallocation of resources. You could get a 6600K (though even that wouldn't merit a $60 cooler) but again, odd to pair with a budget GPU. How much are you looking to spend?

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Sep 24, 2016

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

some say he's a rude dude with a crude 'tude
I built a PC in 2012 based on mostly this thread's recommendations. I don't know much about current hardware. Right now I have:

I5 2500K+ OC'd to 4.2ghz
16 gb ram
800w power supply
256gb SSD
Radeon 6950 2gb

I want to play Battlefield 1 on good settings. My video card is the bottleneck here, I could only play the beta on everything low, and that was only after changing some poo poo in the registry because BF1 wouldn't accept my drivers and they don't make new drivers for this card anymore. What video card should I buy without going too crazy? I don't play a whole lot of games (other than the Battlefield series), but I do want to be able to should I feel like it. Thanks!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Millow posted:

I built a PC in 2012 based on mostly this thread's recommendations. I don't know much about current hardware. Right now I have:

I5 2500K+ OC'd to 4.2ghz
16 gb ram
800w power supply
256gb SSD
Radeon 6950 2gb

I want to play Battlefield 1 on good settings. My video card is the bottleneck here, I could only play the beta on everything low, and that was only after changing some poo poo in the registry because BF1 wouldn't accept my drivers and they don't make new drivers for this card anymore. What video card should I buy without going too crazy? I don't play a whole lot of games (other than the Battlefield series), but I do want to be able to should I feel like it. Thanks!

Guessing you're using a 1080p monitor? A 1060 would be fine but I'd buy a 1070 so you can grow into it and pick up a 1440p monitor down the road. Your CPU is also almost certainly bottlenecking a bit, I'm sure BF does benefit from multithreading to some extent.

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Guessing you're using a 1080p monitor? A 1060 would be fine but I'd buy a 1070 so you can grow into it and pick up a 1440p monitor down the road. Your CPU is also almost certainly bottlenecking a bit, I'm sure BF does benefit from multithreading to some extent.

Yeah I think it's 1080p, its a Dell U2412M. 1070 looks a bit too expensive (can't really afford to splash out $600 CAD on a video card right now), 1060 looks a little more reasonable and more what I'm used to paying for video cards. I see they only come in 3GB and 6GB, the 6GB is probably worth the extra $100 right? What about AMD, are they still a player? I've always bought ATI/AMD in the past, can't believe the prices of these new Nvidia cards.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Millow posted:

Yeah I think it's 1080p, its a Dell U2412M. 1070 looks a bit too expensive (can't really afford to splash out $600 CAD on a video card right now), 1060 looks a little more reasonable and more what I'm used to paying for video cards. I see they only come in 3GB and 6GB, the 6GB is probably worth the extra $100 right? What about AMD, are they still a player? I've always bought ATI/AMD in the past, can't believe the prices of these new Nvidia cards.

Honestly I don't know much about ATI GPUs, nvidia just seems to have a better product and I'll be hosed to death by my own dad before I let catalyst control center throw shade on my PC~

Yes the 6GB is a must or you wouldn't really be able to run high res textures.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Millow posted:

What are 8GB RX 480 prices like for you? Might also be worth considering, if you're not going to 1440p any time soon.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Twerk from Home posted:

Fully hardware 10-bit HEVC encode and decode, hardware 8 bit VP9 encode and decode, and hardware level DRM that content owners demand before they'll allow 4K playback on the system. Sony already has confirmed they're going to allow only Kaby Lake computers access to their new 4K streaming platform, and it'll probably be a minimum requirement for 4K Netflix on PC too.

As far as what normal consumers will get out of it, hardware vp9 will mean that Youtube CPU usage drops to near zero and it looks like even bad, low quality hardware HEVC encode will outperform x264.

But all that stuff gets done on a dGPU if you have one, right?

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

becoming posted:

What are 8GB RX 480 prices like for you? Might also be worth considering, if you're not going to 1440p any time soon.

Right about the same price as a 6gb 1060, ~$350 CAD. I'm still planning on making this monitor work for the foreseeable future, so between these cards is there are a clear winner or does it come down to personal preference?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
The 1060 is the winner, though there seem to be 4GB 480s available for enough cheaper that you can pick one of those up to save a bit of cash. Would let you keep your AMD brand loyalty and keep your FreeSync options open as well, for whatever that's worth.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Millow posted:

Right about the same price as a 6gb 1060, ~$350 CAD. I'm still planning on making this monitor work for the foreseeable future, so between these cards is there are a clear winner or does it come down to personal preference?

The GTX 1060 is usually slightly better and slightly more expensive than the RX 480. If they're the same price, get the 1060. That card will do just fine if you have a 1080p60Hz monitor. It's only in a select handful of the newest games that you will have to play on High instead of Ultra to get a steady 60 FPS.

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
Is the SSD in the OP still the recommended one? I think my hybrid drive is making GBS threads out (after only a year and a half!) and I want to get an SSD and then a new regular drive for storage if necessary.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

Is the SSD in the OP still the recommended one? I think my hybrid drive is making GBS threads out (after only a year and a half!) and I want to get an SSD and then a new regular drive for storage if necessary.

I recommend the Samsung 850 EVO.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

If you want to be lazy look at the 850 EVO and Sandisk X400.

Cytokinesis
Aug 18, 2008

He sees the power of a god behind it. A power that has bested him!
Okay, so I have no idea what I'm doing with the case or the motherboard, but I tried to choose ones that looked to make sense.

I'm planning on pairing all of this with a 1080 60 Hz IPS monitor at the moment. I might want to try for one of those 1440 144 Hz monitors, but given that'd require a 1080 it'd be something like a $900 extra cost, so I'm not sure if it's worth it.

I'm rather unlikely to upgrade this for another 5 or 6 years, so I'd appreciate any advice on silly mistakes or small upgrades that would make it function much better.

What country are you in?: USA
What are you using the system for?: Gaming. I'm not a hardcore gamer, but I want to be able to play newer games again on near or max settings. Typically RPGs or Open World stuff.
What's your budget?: <$2,000
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution?: 1080 with a 60 Hz monitor, though I'm debating going for 1440/G-Sync.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($227.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($98.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VIII GENE Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($205.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($308.01 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB ACX 3.0 Video Card ($404.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 350D Window MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($109.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1520.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-24 21:13 EDT-0400

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
So I bought some parts to build my new PC. Relevant to my question are:

CPU: i5 6600k
MoBo: Asus Maximus Gene VIII
RAM: 2x8GB Corsair DDR4 3000
Graphics: MSI Geforce GTX 1080 Gaming X
Power: Seasonic G 650W

I put it all together and nothing happens. The machine powers on, hard drives spin up, CPU fan spins but the case fans don't spin (they're plugged into the MoBo fan headers). Nothing on the display. I've tried my GPU in another machine and it works fine. Looking at the MoBo manual, there are some LED lights that are supposed to flash if there are issues with RAM or GPU or CPU, etc. There is even a small 2 digit LED display that comes up with codes if there are faults. I get no information, the LED display shows "00". I look up this code and the manual says "not in use" - totally useless info. I get no error lights, no beeps, nothing. I've tried it with no GPU and no RAM which makes no difference. I would expect it would show a GPU or RAM error and beep, but it does nothing. I've reseated the CPU, and all the power connectors multiple times. I don't have another compatible board to test the CPU or RAM. Would I be correct in the guessing the MoBo is DOA?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Dumb question but you have both the power connectors to the mobo?

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

Bovril Delight posted:

Dumb question but you have both the power connectors to the mobo?

Do you mean the big 20ish pin ATX power connector plus the 8 pin CPU connector? Yes.

My PSU has a second moddular CPU 8 pin connector, I even tried using that one instead of the default one with no change.

I've also tried moving the RAM around to different slots with no change.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Does the Maximus Gene VIII have the asus usb bios update thing? You can update the bios without even having a cpu or RAM that way. The bios version should be ok but perhaps it has a problem or is running in a minimal mode or something. Try updating to most recent version if possible.

I had an issue with the X99E-WS mobo with the 6800k, it would throw a "ram error" code even though the ram was ok. The bios the mobo came with just didn't support the newer 6800k cpu. That's probably not the error but worth a shot, if the LEDs don't behave during the bios update the motherboard is probably just hooped.

The other thing I'd suggest is have a good look at the cpu socket and ensure none of the socket pins are bent the wrong way.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

HMS Boromir posted:

Probably, MGS5 is very well optimized. More to the point, though, you didn't pick out a motherboard - if you're intending to slot the new CPU and RAM into your current motherboard then that's not likely to work out for you. If you just wanted a motherboard suggestion then let us know if you're particularly attached to the high speed RAM, since it would require an overclocking motherboard, which is a little unusual to get with a locked CPU.

On the subject of the locked CPU, buying a $60 cooler for it when you're limited enough by your budget to be considering a GTX 950 seems like a misallocation of resources. You could get a 6600K (though even that wouldn't merit a $60 cooler) but again, odd to pair with a budget GPU. How much are you looking to spend?

this is why I need this thread. I'll start redoing my poo poo

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Thanks for the tips, I tried the BIOS update thing. Did nothing, also checked the CPU and socket, everything looks fine. Is the CPU install tool supposed to stay inside the socket with the CPU or are you supposed to remove it?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Vidaeus posted:

Thanks for the tips, I tried the BIOS update thing. Did nothing, also checked the CPU and socket, everything looks fine. Is the CPU install tool supposed to stay inside the socket with the CPU or are you supposed to remove it?

Yah I think Asus makes it so it can be installed with that just to make it really easy.. Did you check you have the orientation correct? There's a little triangle in one corner of the CPU and should have a triangle on the motherboard so you match those up.

The BIOS Code 00 makes me think it doesn't even see the CPU.. So if it's in the right way the motherboard is possibly hosed.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Vidaeus posted:

The plastic piece that protects the pins? It should pop off when you lock the retaining arm down.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

The plastic piece that protects the pins? It should pop off when you lock the retaining arm down.

I think he means this thingie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFlBPyQbJZw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Yes, I meant that installation tool, not the protective cover. And yes, the CPU was in the correct way, the arrows lined up and I even tried removing and reinstalling.

I tried to start it without a CPU and it wouldn't power anything. It starts with the CPU in but just says "00", no error beeps. I would have thought if it was a CPU problem the MOBO would beep and a code would come up.

Time to take itback.