Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

NmareBfly posted:

Palmer's politics may not affect the physical product as it stands now but it's hard to have faith in the consumer friendliness of the organization long-term if the leader actually seriously espouses Trump as a candidate for president.

Palmer is not the leader of the organization in any realistic definition of that term at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Does Dirt Rally support the vive or just the occulus? It's currently on sale on the humble store, and I want to live out my Group B fantasy.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

I dunno, Luckey strikes me as someone who'd back a pro-Trump shitposting group "for the lulz". Insofar as he has a political philosophy he's probably nominally Libertarian, in that he's a rich white dude who wants the gov't to gently caress off so he can do his thing. Kind of like Carmack, actually... God, I hope he doesn't wade into this.

Being the bleeding-heart that I am, I'm not inclined to completely dismiss him as an awful person now and forever, since he's a home-schooled dude in his early 20's who wound up with a fuckton of money. He's got plenty of time to learn some lessons and grow up. More difficult since he's got all that Facebook cash to cushion his bad decisions, so a good starter lesson would be "actions have consequences", as Oculus censures/removes him from the company.

this. in a way thats what makes it worse for me. If he honestly believed the stupid poo poo spewed, it would be awful and lovely. but he is doing for the lulz so that kinda just makes him a pathetic jack off. at the same time i find it kinda hosed up how much they are attacking his GF.

so phil fish and a bunch of indies makinge weird puzzle poo poo are dropping it and starting even more of shitstorm. fun times a ahead. I dont blame them for doing it though. its their product.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Yeah, they can do whatever they want, it's their game. I assume they will also be sending back their Oculus Touch and headset dev kits, too, or would that be asking too much of them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so phil fish and a bunch of indies makinge weird puzzle poo poo are dropping it and starting even more of shitstorm. fun times a ahead. I dont blame them for doing it though. its their product.

Not many people who aren't indie are making VR stuff.

Insomniac games also condemned it, and they aren't indie, although they didn't say anything about pulling the plug.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Not many people who aren't indie are making VR stuff.

Insomniac games also condemned it, and they aren't indie, although they didn't say anything about pulling the plug.

good for them. I dont blame people for condeming or dropping system, i just find it a little eyerolling how fast some of these people are willing to DROP it before every single thing is known. condeming is one thing. dropping it entirly seems short sighted. i also just never liked phish(he was always a dickhead and pretentious rear end in a top hat.) and some of indies rub me the wrong way. Lots of great ones happily exist though to outshine the lovely ones even if the lovely ones are louder and get more attention.(i am looking at you sunset devs and chinese room).

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 23, 2016

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Welp, time to switch to Vive. Does it have good Unity support, anyone know?
I'm not a big developer or anything, but I've been using Oculus since so early that we were one of the earliest people making installations using the Rift for the public that their research team asked us to provide them with data from our users, so this pisses me off a Lot.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ekuNNN posted:

I'm not a big developer or anything, but I've been using Oculus since so early that we were one of the earliest people making installations using the Rift for the public that their research team asked us to provide them with data from our users, so this pisses me off a Lot.

I am going with PS VR probaly. my PC is a potato on the best days. plus the computer room is small and tight.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ekuNNN posted:

Yeah, SteamVR in Unity is super straightforward.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So a PSVR game I've only heard of because it was on Giant Bomb and some people I've never heard of are dropping Rift support? Not surprising that it is the single person studios that are being the most reactionary about this thing we only have cursory information on.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

So a PSVR game I've only heard of because it was on Giant Bomb and some people I've never heard of are dropping Rift support? Not surprising that it is the single person studios that are being the most reactionary about this thing we only have cursory information on.
Too bad the big studios are stuck in exclusivity deals and have to keep their grumbling to themselves.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Palmer is not the leader of the organization in any realistic definition of that term at all.

Unfortunately that's irrelevant; what matters is whether he's perceived to be. The public perception of his role has never really changed since the days when he was the company, nor has the way he presents his status in interviews and online. And as long as Oculus have him employed in a public-facing role that uncorrected perception is their responsibility.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

NRVNQSR posted:

Unfortunately that's irrelevant; what matters is whether he's perceived to be. The public perception of his role has never really changed since the days when he was the company, nor has the way he presents his status in interviews and online. And as long as Oculus have him employed in a public-facing role that uncorrected perception is their responsibility.

That's sort of weird because before this everybody was saying Facebook took over and was running things.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I guess the good news is I can probably convince my dad to buy himself a Rift a lot easier now.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I just wonder if someone has spoken to palmer luckey as if he were 12 years old today because that would be hilarious. I can totally see some facebook exec losing it at him and making him cry lmao

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

homeless snail posted:

Too bad the big studios are stuck in exclusivity deals and have to keep their grumbling to themselves.

Or maybe they aren't actual morons and realize that the views and actions of one person are not the same as the views and actions of an entire company. Especially a company where said person's only title is "founder" when everyone else involved got titles like CEO and CTO and Chief Scientist. So is Palmer Luckey running the show at Oculus and everyone there is required to fire off a Heil Hitler every morning or did Facebook totally take it over and their evilness permeates everything? It can't be both ways.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 23, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Even if Palmer does step down though, he's got $700M from Oculus. He's not gonna suffer in any way or learn any lesson beyond "gently caress the internet".

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

NRVNQSR posted:

Unfortunately that's irrelevant; what matters is whether he's perceived to be.

Sure, I understand the importance of perception. I just thought I'd inject some facts for those interested in them, like possibly the person to whose perception I was responding.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
Noone even knows if the reddit post are actually from him.

The only knowns out there are that he's dating a gamergater and posts libertarian things all over facebook.

I'm just bummed because SHC looks rad and would theoretically be super quick to port to Oculus... hope it comes to steam at with SteamVR at least so i can play it there.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
If I was still making games, I wouldn't drop Oculus at all. I still support John Carmack and all the hundreds of people at Oculus. I'm not some sort of indie superstar who can afford to cut off half my consumer base because I'm upset that some idiot child is spending money to elect a president I don't like.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Nalin posted:

If I was still making games, I wouldn't drop Oculus at all. I still support John Carmack and all the hundreds of people at Oculus. I'm not some sort of indie superstar who can afford to cut off half my consumer base because I'm upset that some idiot child is spending money to elect a president I don't like.

That'd be your prerogative, just like it's also the prerogative of developers to not financially support a company who has ties to someone doing something they don't like.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Dropping Oculus support doesn't actually hurt you as a dev at all, it just means not porting to their proprietary API and not selling on their storefront. Rift users can still play it via OpenVR.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Unity support for the Vive is fine. VALVe has an asset pack that lets you get rolling in a hurry.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

w00tazn posted:

don't you think that he would strongly deny it ASAP instead of waiting this long for something bad and damaging and false to spread? like all it takes is one tweet saying "that wasn't me" for stuff to cool down

e: particularly since the original article was daily beast, everyone would just go "oh, daily beast lmao" and forget about it

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

Okay, sure, but this is kinda like VR's Chik-fil-A moment.
Even if you say the guy is separate from the product, it now has a bad association tied to it.

This is true. The people I know who eat at Chik-fil-a still make jokes about it being hate chicken. The hard right's attempt to make that chain a rallying cry against "politically correct" only cemented that and I'm betting if the reddit alt-right go to internet war over Oculus could have a similar effect and actually make this a bigger issue.

It's not whether Oculus is full of goose steppers or if avoiding a Rift hurts Palmer but if the one association less hardcore vr people have with Oculus is something about a creepy racist man child that's no good. Also PC vr is sorta by necessity more dominated by enthusiasts spreading the word and indie devs not really comparable even to a fast food chain or PSVR for that matter. So indie devs avoiding Oculus would be one of the few times it could matter.

I mean most general public people like Facebook but every person I happen to know who has vr or is even considering it was already bitching and moaning about the Facebook-Oculus connection. It's a different subset of consumers at the moment and while to survive vr needs to grow beyond it that might be by going through those enthusiasts and not by going around them.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 23, 2016

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

d0s posted:

don't you think that he would strongly deny it ASAP instead of waiting this long for something bad and damaging and false to spread? like all it takes is one tweet saying "that wasn't me" for stuff to cool down

e: particularly since the original article was daily beast, everyone would just go "oh, daily beast lmao" and forget about it

Even if something is a rag if they report "we talked to this person and this is what he told us" the chances that you're straight making poo poo up is pretty low because you'd get brutalized in court if you were. That's straight up libel.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/soundstagevr/status/779318912152317952

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

homeless snail posted:

Dropping Oculus support doesn't actually hurt you as a dev at all, it just means not porting to their proprietary API and not selling on their storefront. Rift users can still play it via OpenVR.

It basically means nothing but it's a good way for small devs to get free press by glomming onto this shitstorm, so why not

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I think when someone in your industry does something bad it's good to speak up against it

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

d0s posted:

I think when someone in your industry does something bad it's good to speak up against it

That should be illegal, it infringes on my right to free speech

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

d0s posted:

This guy did a thing I don't like. While you guys are here though, please check out this game I'm making and then buy it. Please notice me.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
What if I don't like Hillary or Trump? Did a Trump donator have a hand in making my Rift? Welp, guess I'll just throw my Rift into the garbage. Did a person making the Vive donate to Hillary? Welp, guess I'll toss my Vive into the garbage.

Did anyone with any political affiliations I don't like make any of my electronic equipment? Guess I have to throw it all in garbage. Goodbye, internet!

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 23, 2016

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

This guy did a thing I don't like. While you guys are here though, please check out this game I'm making and then buy it. Please notice me.
:yikes:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

nnnotime posted:

What if I don't like Hillary or Trump? Did a Trump donator have a hand in making my Rift? Welp, guess I'll just throw my Rift into the garbage. Did a person making the Vive donate to Hillary? Welp, guess I'll toss my Vive into the garbage.

Did anyone with any political affiliations I don't like make any of my electronic equipment? Guess I have to throw it all in garbage. Goodbye, internet!

if the guy just "donated to trump" I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be such a big deal, he did something a lot dumber

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah. He's put tons of money into an organization specifically dedicated to making racist and anti-Semitic memes. That is a bit more than "supporting Trump", not that that's particularly admirable either.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

his girlfriend's twitter is gone

e: for posterity

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

d0s posted:

his girlfriend's twitter is gone

e: for posterity

what an rear end in a top hat.

Roland Jones posted:

Yeah. He's put tons of money into an organization specifically dedicated to making racist and anti-Semitic memes. That is a bit more than "supporting Trump", not that that's particularly admirable either.

I think whats worse is like someone said up the thread. he doesnt even believe in it, he is just doing it for the loving lulz. some rich prick is funding lovely (sorta) hate groups because "lol i troll da SJWS now."

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what an rear end in a top hat.

I think whats worse is like someone said up the thread. he doesnt even believe in it, he is just doing it for the loving lulz. some rich prick is funding lovely (sorta) hate groups because "lol i troll da SJWS now."

I don't think people like that really exist, like you can't do that fully "ironically," it's because you believe in it sincerely to some degree. Unless something comes out where it turns out the Daily Beast straight up libeled him I think it's pretty safe to say he not only supports Trump but also funds group spreading hate in support of him.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

:allears:

I always thought the sale to facebook was a good thing, but I've never been happier he doesn't own his company anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

w00tazn posted:

The only knowns out there are that he's dating a gamergater and posts libertarian things all over facebook.

I'm just bummed because SHC looks rad and would theoretically be super quick to port to Oculus... hope it comes to steam at with SteamVR at least so i can play it there.

He admitted to the Daily Beast that's him. There's no denying it at this point.