Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Sounds good to me. Japan has a pretty cool system: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kei_car#Taxation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

EvilJoven posted:

That'd be loving awesome. Maybe that means in 5 years or so I can go shopping for a truck and get something that has decent cargo capacity without being all HOLY poo poo IM A HUGE loving TRUCK LOOK AT ME IM SO BIG GOOD LUCK BEING ABLE TO PICK UP ANYTHING IN THE BED OVER THE SIDE OF THE BOX BECAUSE I AM A T R U C K

gently caress that noise it's getting annoying.

My coworker and I devoted a good 2 hours today bitching about how SUVs capable of remote work rather than soccer momming no longer exist, and trucks the size of a 90s Ranger haven't been sold in decades. :allears:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

yippee cahier posted:

Sounds good to me. Japan has a pretty cool system: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kei_car#Taxation

This does look cool and good. Really there's so much we could be doing to improve our road systems; average speed cameras, policing bad driving rather than speeding, regular vehicle safety inspections, non-trivial driver licensing requirements. And yet we will never do any of it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

namaste faggots posted:

Why not increase car insurance premiums to be commensurate with engine displacement? Like Europe.

The Albertan's are very private about their engine displacement, this law goes against their culture.

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Sep 24, 2016

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

This does look cool and good. Really there's so much we could be doing to improve our road systems; average speed cameras, policing bad driving rather than speeding, regular vehicle safety inspections, non-trivial driver licensing requirements. And yet we will never do any of it.

one of the very first things the BC Liberals did in 2001 was cancel our speed camera program lol

the premier was later arrested for driving drunk in Hawaii

coincidence?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Speed cameras are retarded and I hate them. Winnipeg is full of them and yet accident rates are sky loving high. Also there are places in the city where the speed limit is a lot lower than what is recommended by traffic planners and I bet guess what's right in the middle of those sections flashing away.

I'd kill for some actual driving instruction and hands on traffic enforcement, maybe then people will actually do poo poo like turning into the proper lane and using their god damned signal lights.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, I'm pretty "gently caress cars, gently caress drivers" but speed cameras are a pure cash grab. What I'd love is higher insurance rates that punish larger/more powerful vehicles and reward smaller lighters vehicles, way more investment in transit, bikes, and walkability, and Scandinavian style driver's license programs where getting a license is actually hard and they actually rigorously train and test you.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
One thing I wish for is a massive surcharge levied against people who drive their stupid car from their poo poo suburb to their poo poo office building every day.

I take a bike or a bus to my lovely office job and both options would be a whole lot faster and safer if I didn't have to deal with assholes carting nothing more than their stupid selves and maybe a briefcase to the office.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Speed cameras are everywhere in the UK and they work lmao you guys are loving assholes

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love to bitch about driver scum and am a militant pedestrian fighting the war on cars, but I'll become upset if you take away my ability to routinely do 20 over the speed limit. This is why I'm against speed cameras! Speed isn't dangerous, bad driving is, I can drive 20 over because I'm special and the cameras don't understand.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
20 over is pedestrian speed, how do you guys get anywhere driving like that

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Congestion charging

You
Dumb
Motherfuckers

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

yippee cahier posted:

I heard a while back that the Japanese government was trying to get away from Kei cars but I don't know what's happened since then. http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/news/a8116/why-japan-might-kill-the-kei-car/

As electric vehicles become more popular and the gas tax becomes less effective we're going to need to move to a comprehensive road pricing system as a replacement. I think it's a smart idea to put in some sort of disincentives on large vehicles along with this to encourage smaller cars. We already know that in collisions with pedestrians and cyclists large trucks and SUVs are more dangerous and more likely to cause death than smaller vehicles. There's like an arms race now to get bigger and bigger. If we're serious about getting to zero traffic deaths than it makes sense to push back against this.

There's also dividends in terms of more efficient use of land. Suddenly there's more parking available, and you can create more compact developments. It pains me to continuously read the same lines in the paper about how Vancouver is "hemmed in by ocean and mountains with little developable land" when we're wasting so much of it on dumb empty, useless nothing.

The other day I was blocked from crossing an alley because a giant moving truck was trying to edge by a giant garbage truck and they couldn't fit. It's stupid. It's a busy city with tight lanes. Why aren't we using compact vans, garbage trucks and fire trucks?

Looping back to the issue of traffic safety, Vision Zero, and getting to zero traffic deaths, a lot of it really is measures on the design side. As speed decreases below 30km/h a pedestrians' chances of dying after being hit by a car are decreased dramatically. Simple measures like narrowing roads are proven to decrease the speeds of cars because drivers feel less secure and drive slower. It's redesigns of cities like this that are necessary to bring down traffic deaths. Putting up traffic signs and doing a clamp down on speeders is the classic thing that governments always go with but this alone has limited effectiveness.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Holy poo poo shut the gently caress up

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
You are dumb as gently caress did anyone try to tell you this when you were growing up

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

EvilJoven posted:

One thing I wish for

I wish for world justice. Let suburbia drown in the blood of the wicked.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Hey man I know that my dream of Canadian towns that are as compact and walkable as Japanese and European towns is an unrealistic fantasy. It's like scrapping the principal residence capital gains exemption or raising property taxes. Never gonna happen.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Femtosecond posted:

Hey man I know that my dream of Canadian towns that are as compact and walkable as Japanese and European towns is an unrealistic fantasy. It's like scrapping the principal residence capital gains exemption or raising property taxes. Never gonna happen.

Urban planning will get us there one day if we believe enough.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

EvilJoven posted:

Speed cameras are retarded and I hate them. Winnipeg is full of them and yet accident rates are sky loving high. Also there are places in the city where the speed limit is a lot lower than what is recommended by traffic planners and I bet guess what's right in the middle of those sections flashing away.

I'd kill for some actual driving instruction and hands on traffic enforcement, maybe then people will actually do poo poo like turning into the proper lane and using their god damned signal lights.

Speed cameras are pretty good, but you're right about the other things.

Not what I meant though. What i was referring to was cameras on the highways that track when your license plate goes by, allowing an average speed calculation, and if it's over the limit they mail you a bill. That way the limit is uniformly applied.

Whether the limit is correct is a whole other matter, but what really makes roads safe is reduction in speed differential, and I would happily trade going slightly slower for safer roads and equitable application of the law.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
so what you're saying is urban planning is like a cargo cult

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

Speed cameras are pretty good, but you're right about the other things.

Not what I meant though. What i was referring to was cameras on the highways that track when your license plate goes by, allowing an average speed calculation, and if it's over the limit they mail you a bill. That way the limit is uniformly applied.

Whether the limit is correct is a whole other matter, but what really makes roads safe is reduction in speed differential, and I would happily trade going slightly slower for safer roads and equitable application of the law.

Speed cameras often end up being nothing more than a disguised tax, with municipalities playing dangerous games to increase revenues.

The city of edmonton took over the photo radar duties from the RCMP in 2013 funneling revenue into the general budget instead of enforcement, tickets for 6-10kph over went from 3,252 to 66,487, total tickets went from 162,996 to 509,990, and revenue went from $13.4 million to $34.5 million. that year, the number of accidents rose 6.7%, dropped 0.7% the next year, and rose again 3.6% the year after that. According to their own statistics, the vast majority of accidents happen at intersections, with page 24 showing not a single injury accident occuring on the ring road around the city, yet on their map of automated enforcement locations Nearly half of the speed camera locations are on that ring road or the whitemud. both roads with no intersections.

despite bringing in $34+ million dollars per year by taking over the speed cameras, they then told the police to make due with a smaller budget increase of $9 million over 3 years adding over $90 million dollars over 3 years to their own budget without providing the police the budget to deal with the actual causes of accidents like distracted driving and dangerous driving.

The funny thing about a displacement tax is that the f-150 now has a 2.7 liter engine, the smallest engine you can get in a camry is a 2.5 liter, so guys could still have their macho man jacked up pickup truck and pay the same as "economy" cars, less than V6 midsize cars.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Sep 24, 2016

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
Nothing wrong with trucks getting more fuel efficient. The real jerks aren't driving F150s anyway, and if they are they aren't going for the base model 2.7L engine.

I drive a 2006 Ford Ranger and the other day I encountered a truck that was probably twice the height of mine. It was a jacked up F350.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Baronjutter posted:

Scandinavian style driver's license programs where getting a license is actually hard and they actually rigorously train and test you.

This is a dumb and unworkable idea unless and until North American infrastructure is completely revamped to make more than a tiny fraction of where people live accessible via public transit.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

namaste faggots posted:

this thread about 'tech' 'salaries' in vancouver is hilarious

https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/comments/53v703/bcs_high_tech_boom_blasts_wages_skyward/

look guys i make 150k/year i'm so rich

*checks article*

Heh, they didn't mention one thing about the animation/FILM/VFX salaries.

55% of those wages are paid for by the taxpayers of BC and the rest of Canada.

BC finance minster tried to put a 150M cap on the whole thing and the film business freaked out [Randy Lake @ Sony basically told the government they'd pull the plug on SPA/SPI Canada and walk out].

Not really an idle threat, most of the film industry would be gone within 3 months [look at the sad state in Louisiana, all those newly built sound stages are empty]. Tax rebate subsidy money can be used as a cash advance on covering film production costs and that's the only reason there's a ton of film work up in BC.

I want to see the numbers coming up for the film program in the next budget. I bet its 700M at least.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Sep 24, 2016

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

toe knee hand posted:

Nothing wrong with trucks getting more fuel efficient. The real jerks aren't driving F150s anyway, and if they are they aren't going for the base model 2.7L engine.

I drive a 2006 Ford Ranger and the other day I encountered a truck that was probably twice the height of mine. It was a jacked up F350.

The 2.7L isn't the base engine, a 3.7L is! With Ford, you pay more to get smaller engines (with turbos). :science:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Big k, do you know anything about the house at 5th and Ontario for sale for 8 million?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
The Ranger is too small when you need to haul 4 people and a huge load of tools.

That leads to another problem. Many costs associated with vehicle ownership are time based. Registration, insurance etc. This makes it cost prohibitive for a lot of people to own both a larger utility vehicle and a smaller more economical one along side it.

Changing these all to use based costs would possibly remedy this situation.

Ultimately though the goal of changing how we use vehicles should be steering us away from using personal vehicles in the city.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Lmao the ranger is too small

Yeah I guess that's why you can't do construction in Europe

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

tagesschau posted:

This is a dumb and unworkable idea unless and until North American infrastructure is completely revamped to make more than a tiny fraction of where people live accessible via public transit.

This is a really strange rebuttal: that because everyone is driving cars, we can't and shouldn't train them to drive cars.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Rime posted:

A two bedroom unit in Surrey can still be found for under $900, north of the Fraser for that you're looking at $1500 minimum. I find it hard to believe anyone living south of the fraser to save money is spending enough on transit to outweigh the massive difference in pure rent terms

You can find 2-bedroom units <$1,000 north of the Fraser.

quote:

Telling people they should double their rent expenditure, so they don't cost the system as much money because they are forced to commute on transit for hours every day in order to survive is, frankly, loving retarded and makes you sound like an out of touch libertarian. :colbert:

I'm talking about dipshits who go and buy homes in Surrey because they want a backyard not realising that they're part of the problem and don't take into account that their yearly transportation costs (so insurance, parking, tolls, maintenance, and fuel--all that before paying for a vehicle) will meet or exceed when combined with their mortgage compared to a place without a backyard and fence.

You can buy a 3-bedroom condo in New Westminster and Burnaby for the same price you'd pay for a 3-bedroom detached home in Surrey.

That said, I wasn't talking about rentals here and I am not sure why you brought it up in the first place. Someone who is renting in Surrey and commuting downtown is likely not able to afford living north of the river due to a continuous assault with the destruction of rental properties. You have dimwits like Derek Corrigan saying it's not his job to protect rental suites and we've seen a slough of rental units in the Metrotown area torn down to make for units that are far beyond the reach of these people--fortunately New Westminster believes otherwise and I can count at least four new rental towers going up at the moment.

But please. Don't be a bleeding heart for the dimwits who go and move south of the river, buy a house, and then whine about transportation costs.

Lain Iwakura fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 24, 2016

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Brannock posted:

This is a really strange rebuttal: that because everyone is driving cars, we can't and shouldn't train them to drive cars.

It's more that you can't start failing a huge proportion of the population (my assumption, given what I see whenever I go outside in Toronto) out of being able to drive before providing workable alternatives.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
why can't everyone with kids accept that they should live in mega tower one with me, the single childless friendless optimal man who can be entertained forever by a glowing rectangle

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

namaste faggots posted:

Lmao the ranger is too small

Yeah I guess that's why you can't do construction in Europe

Or Australia, where every "big truck" is the size of the Ranger.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Metro Vancouver studied the issue of combined housing + transportation costs and found that the most affordable areas to live in the region were New West, Burnaby, CoV, and Richmond. Least affordable were Pitt Meadows, Maple Ridge, Langley, Delta and the North Shore. Pretty much this is because Skytrain makes transportation cheap so I expect an updated list would have Port Moody and Coquitlam moving up the affordable list. http://bc.ctvnews.ca/suburbs-pricier-than-vancouver-when-transportation-factored-in-study-1.2364563

PDF http://www.metrovancouver.org/services/regional-planning/PlanningPublications/HousingAndTransportCostBurdenReport2015.pdf

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

mastershakeman posted:

why can't everyone with kids accept that they should live in mega tower one with me, the single childless friendless optimal man who can be entertained forever by a glowing rectangle

Children can live in condos. I live in one with my wife and there are plenty of them roaming about here.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

OSI bean dip posted:

Children can live in condos. I live in one with my wife and there are plenty of them roaming about here.

And plenty of people to complain about kids living in multi family dwellings.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

quaint bucket posted:

And plenty of people to complain about kids living in multi family dwellings.

Funny how we call them "multi-family".

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Maybe if we addressed the "missing middle" problem with our housing supply the only two options wouldn't be "over priced 1br condo" and "sprawling suburban home"

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://vancouversun.com/business/local-business/e-commerces-big-bold-shoes-com-model-or-a-mess

quote:

But this summer, dozens of Shoes.com employees were laid off without notice in Vancouver, Burnaby and Seattle, while two claims were filed against the company in B.C. Supreme Court, alleging more than $100,000 in unpaid provincial sales tax and six months of overdue invoices for an independent contractor.

Meanwhile, the opening of a brick-and-mortar shop on Burrard Street has been put on hold, plans for an IPO appear to be frozen, and customers are flooding the company’s social media sites with complaints about unanswered e-mails and long telephone hold times.

The company has also pulled out of sponsoring a contemporary art exhibition called Art Rapture. Shoes.com had pledged $1,000 to the event, but told organizers that they had to drop out because of financial difficulties, according to curator Paul Becker. The show did receive a number of shoes from the company, which will be painted and auctioned off for charity.

Retail consultant David Ian Gray of DIG360 says he’s noticed a large number of online complaints from customers about things like late deliveries and mistakes in their orders.

“On the internet, there will always be some complaints on review sites, but they’re scoring particularly low,” he says.

surprise shoes.com a vancouver ECOMMERCE STARTUP TITAN is a fuckin dumpster fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
when do all those vancouver P2P ~~~fintech~~~ startups start imploding