Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

It's a good show, but lol at the suggestion that it could improve Donald's music. He wrote his own character to appear smarter than everyone around him, which is exactly Donald's problem in real life when it comes to making good rap music.

Pertplus fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i flunked out posted:

The new TI is really really good.

Yeah it's really surprising.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
TI owned on Bankroll Mafia so I am less surprised. Gonna check it later

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

da nic ep was good too. looking forward to listening to the new tape after finishing the mick jenkins album.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mick's vocals are mixed too low 🤔

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Pertplus posted:

It's a good show, but lol at the suggestion that it could improve Donald's music. He wrote his own character to appear smarter than everyone around him, which is exactly Donald's problem in real life when it comes to making good rap music.

I haven't watched the latest episode but he definitely doesn't appear to be smarter than anyone else that I've seen. His babe moms herself seems to be on another level and id argue paper boi too

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I definitely don't get a sense of Earn being the smartest character. Like at all

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Earn comes off as the most book smart character but he's a huge idiot when it comes to actually living his life

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

I mean, if you're just judging by the circumstances Earn finds himself in he wouldn't appear to be very smart or capable. But it feels like the show frames him as this poor genius that has the unfortunate burden of proving to this dumb world how capable he really is. Nothing negative about his environment is attributed to his personal failings, its always someone else e.g. the dumb girl who expects to get a free expensive meal, or the dumb waitress who won't let him order what he wants, or dumb Paper Boi who gets too angry even when Earn tries to calm him down, or the Paper Boi's dumb friend who fails to understand he needs money now, or the dumb racist industry guy who won't give him a fair shot. Meanwhile Earn spouts off witty one liners to these dumb characters and magically finds a way to get his dumb rapper cousin's tape into the right hands because he's a special type of person determined to see things through or whatever, unlike anyone else involved in the life of Paper Boi.

Examples of Earn being the smartest guy in the room:

The scene where everyone in the jail holding area is laughing at the crazy guy, but only Earn is smart enough to realize he should be receiving mental help

The scene where Earn is the only person smart enough to recognize that "sexuality is a spectrum"

Earn having a off-the-top concise explanation for why Mr. Social Media's meme doesn't make any logical sense

Earn pointing out the inconsistencies in Darius's conspiracy theories

Earn pointing out to Paper Boi and Darius that selling drugs isn't worth the risk at their current level of fame / wealth

Earn pointing out to his baby mom that they had previously agreed she would pick his daughter up, making her look silly for being mad he didn't do it

Pertplus fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 23, 2016

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Pertplus posted:

I mean, if you're just judging by the circumstances Earn finds himself in he wouldn't appear to be very smart or capable. But it feels like the show frames him as this poor genius that has to prove to this dumb world how capable he really is. Nothing negative about his environment is attributed to his personal failings, its always someone else e.g. the dumb girl who expects to get a free expensive meal, or the dumb waitress who won't let him order what he wants, or his dumb cousin who gets too angry even when Earn tries to calm him down, or the his cousin's dumb friend who fails to understand he needs money now, or the dumb racist industry guy who won't give him a fair shot. Meanwhile Earn spouts off witty one liners to these dumb characters and magically finds a way to get his dumb rapper cousin's tape into the right hands because he's a special type of person determined to see things through or whatever, unlike anyone else involved in the life of Paper Boi.

are you implying gambino is full of himself and expresses it in any and all of his artistic pursuits??? crazy talk!

(i have not watching this show and kinda like him for what its worth)

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

Being full of yourself is fine, being full of yourself in the "I'm so clever" sense is just annoying.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pertplus, a lot of those are just being the straight man in a comedy. If anything it's less arrogant cause he's giving all the funniest lines to other characters. But some of your examples are totally wrong - I felt the show made it seem like Van totally deserved to be taken out for a nice meal, and that him not being able to afford it was a criticism of him for being dirt-broke and not of her for daring to want to go on a date or whatever.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

T.I. giving me chills on this EP.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Yea Earn is broke as gently caress, practically homeless, lowkey shunned by his folks for dropping out with no plans, not a great dad to his kid, and trying to ride his cousins wave he's a loving loser looking for redemption. A likeable one being a straight man in a comedic drama but a loser nonetheless.

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 23, 2016

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

Dumb Paper Boi thought Earn was trying to ride his wave but Earn, being the Genius that he is, got Paper Boi the exposure he needed and it's actually Paper Boi who's riding his genius cousin's wave for having the ability to see things through and realize what's important. Almost every instance of Paper Boi being recognized in the show makes it clear he's only being recognized because of the song genius Earn was able to get on the radio. Paper Boi would've been in an even better situation if he'd listened to Earn's clever and timely advice not to shoot a guy for kicking the mirror off his car.

Pertplus fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 23, 2016

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Pertplus posted:

Dumb Paper Boi thought Earn was trying to ride his wave but Earn, being the Genius that he is, got Paper Boi the exposure he needed and it's actually Paper Boi who's riding his genius cousin's wave for having the ability to see things through and realize what's important. Almost every instance of Paper Boi being recognized in the show makes it clear he's only being recognized because of the song genius Earn was able to get on the radio.

Jesus christ the show has been on for four episodes and he's the protagonist. How would you prefer it was written?

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
what the gently caress is everyone talking about

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Can you guys take this to TV IV or something

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Tbf this is the most play Donald has got in the rap thread

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Crumbletron posted:

Can you guys take this to TV IV or something

edit:
lmao
http://www.hiphopdx.com/news/id.40540/title.kid-cudi-ordered-to-stay-away-from-baby-mama?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 23, 2016

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Here's a palate cleanser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfumliVrF-Q

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

I actually like the show, I just think Earn is written to be the "smart guy". Which is a fine quality for a TV show character, but an annoying one for a musician. I didn't really expect it to be a controversial take, it seems pretty obvious to me he's supposed to be playing a clever guy finding his way out of an unfortunate situation but I don't like his music so maybe my perception is biased.

New TI is good

Pertplus fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 23, 2016

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

New T.I. is weird. He's always been a technically competent rapper, and he's clearly trying harder to show that on this tape than he has in recent years, the beats are good, the features are good, and it's kinda cool to hear him trying a more socially conscious approach. I like it, but compared to his 2000's output it's nothing. Dude hasn't dropped a legitimately great album/tape/verse/song since then imo (edit: besides I guess about the money but that's entirely because of thug).

miss this T.I.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n48RyNTHyz0

I wasn't as hot on it as most people in this thread but yeah its a good tape, not great, and even that's not really cause of t.i. as much as the features
vvvv

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 23, 2016

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bankroll Mafia is good!

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

Pertplus posted:

I actually like the show, I just think Earn is written to be the "smart guy". Which is a fine quality for a TV show character, but an annoying one for a musician. I didn't really expect it to be a controversial take, it seems pretty obvious to me he's supposed to be playing a clever guy finding his way out of an unfortunate situation but I don't like his music so maybe my perception is biased.

New TI is good

great.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
gently caress a mixtape and gently caress da city up were both very good , it's just his albums that have been extremely uneven since.... king i guess.

i was hoping bankroll mafia would just be tip and thugger because theyre great when they team up, but got a bunch of weed carriers instead. still decent

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

Just because you don't know who they are doesn't mean they're "weed carriers". You don't have to have multiple billboard hits to be a real rapper. The features on Bankroll Mafia were very good overall.

Pertplus fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 23, 2016

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

cryme posted:

gently caress a mixtape and gently caress da city up were both very good , it's just his albums that have been extremely uneven since.... king i guess.

i was hoping bankroll mafia would just be tip and thugger because theyre great when they team up, but got a bunch of weed carriers instead. still decent

quote:

The former G.O.O.D. Music artist allegedly sent 168 text messages to the mother, Jacqueline Munyasya, over a period of four days, berating her and threatening to call child services on her.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Juicy J featuring Kanye in a few days

https://twitter.com/tidalhifi/status/779349127268298752

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Dude prob texts like he tweets lmao

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Kudi needs help. It saddens me so much.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

drat this poo poo's going to be fire.

Tidal also has exclusive streaming for Chance's music fest at White Sox Park too.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Don't see an issue

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

"I know ima get my bitch back mrrrrrrr" - kid cudi

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pertplus posted:

New TI is good

The constant use of "genius" made it seem like you were being harsher than you were I think. The character's definitely meant to be clever, just not a total genius or above everyone else.

Shame to hear about Cudi :( maybe spending half a year on Comedy Bang Bang drove him insane

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Pertplus posted:

Just because you don't know who they are doesn't mean they're "weed carriers". You don't have to have multiple billboard hits to be a real rapper. The features on Bankroll Mafia were very good overall.

yeah pretty much everybody was good, shad tha god was mvp (well other than tip and thugga) on that tape

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Escobarbarian posted:

Shame to hear about Cudi :( maybe spending half a year on Comedy Bang Bang drove him insane

that was actually the only time he's looked competent in years

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Pertplus posted:

i know who they all are i just dont think many of them are very good except duke

shads alright too

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Cudi is legitimately mentally ill and struggles with drugs, it's not like he's just "crazy" or whatever. I wish him all the best and hope he makes good music again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrPjip1R5lo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

So what's up with kid cudi man